Barnwell on Jets: They have a plan

nj meadowlands

I don't see what there is here to disagree with. The Jets have a plan and it's a plan that makes sense, but they've executed it horrendously. You absolutely cannot build a team in the NFL when you draft this poorly. It's really that simple.

Exactly. A plan is only part of it.

The problem for Idzik is that the Jets would be better off without a plan if he drafted well. With a poor draft the plan is meaningless.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with the whole article, but Idzik needs a better scouting department in order for it to work.

By saying this, I assume we will have a different QB and coach next season

And a better coaching staff that can develop players and hold them accountable.

This is only Idzik's 2nd year. Part of a good draft is also luck. Example: Just because McDougle was injured in college didn't foretell he would snap his ACL in training camp. Bad luck. Idzik gambled on that one and lost.

Much as I hate to admit this, it's gonna be a few more years before we see positive results (hopefully) from Idzik's administration.

Dude.

Do you not think Idzik is making the decisions?  Who do you think has input, Rex?  If Rex had any pull, they would have signed six CB's.  The fact that Patterson was the only FA CB they brought in tells me it was all Idzik.  I fullyl believe the reports that Rex, and more recently "others within the organization" are upset at how Idzik ignored CB and WR.  No way that  happens if anyone else had any pull.  Or do you think Woody is telling him who to sign?

I don't see what there is here to disagree with. The Jets have a plan and it's a plan that makes sense, but they've executed it horrendously. You absolutely cannot build a team in the NFL when you draft this poorly. It's really that simple.

This. I support the build through the draft/groom homegrown talent model, but this regime has proven they can't spot talent or draft for sh*t, which is necessary for this model to succeed.

Ultimately I like the plan in theory. The issue is you can't be a GM who builds the team through the draft and doesn't draft well.

1. Pryor - okay safety so far

2. Amaro - backup TE who has shown some flashes

3. McDougle - IR, not entirely on the GM but had a history of being injury prone

4.a. Saunders - Arizona's practice squad. Huge miss for an early 4th round pick in a very deep WR draft.

4.b. Evans - IR, did not seem to be in good shape to make the roster when healthy

4.c. Dozier - on the roster but doesn't dress for games

5. George - Jaguars roster

6.a. Dixon - Bucs roster

6.b. Enunwa - practice squad, has upside, also a domestic violence charge

6.c. Enemkpali - has gotten some play time, not bad for a late 6th

6.d. Boyd - some semi-pro league. Horrible.

7. Reilly - special teamer, not bad for a 7th

That's what, 5 guys on the active roster (1 starter, 1 offensive role player, 1 sub-package defensive guy, 1 special teams only guy, and a guy who doesn't dress for games - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on the roles there), 2 guys on other teams, 2 guys on IR, 1 guy on the practice squad, 1 guy on another practice squad, and 1 guy out of the league.

Out of 12 selections, 6 in the first 4 rounds, for what looks like one of the worst teams in the league.

Ultimately I like the plan in theory. The issue is you can't be a GM who builds the team through the draft and doesn't draft well.

1. Pryor - okay safety so far

2. Amaro - backup TE who has shown some flashes

3. McDougle - IR, not entirely on the GM but had a history of being injury prone

4.a. Saunders - Arizona's practice squad. Huge miss for an early 4th round pick in a very deep WR draft.

4.b. Evans - IR, did not seem to be in good shape to make the roster when healthy

4.c. Dozier - on the roster but doesn't dress for games

5. George - Jaguars roster

6.a. Dixon - Bucs roster

6.b. Enunwa - practice squad, has upside, also a domestic violence charge

6.c. Enemkpali - has gotten some play time, not bad for a late 6th

6.d. Boyd - some semi-pro league. Horrible.

7. Reilly - special teamer, not bad for a 7th

That's what, 5 guys on the active roster (1 starter, 1 offensive role player, 1 sub-package defensive guy, 1 special teams only guy, and a guy who doesn't dress for games - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on the roles there), 2 guys on other teams, 2 guys on IR, 1 guy on the practice squad, 1 guy on another practice squad, and 1 guy out of the league.

Out of 12 selections, 6 in the first 4 rounds, for what looks like one of the worst teams in the league.

Great Plan

Great Plan

Plan I liked was build through the draft and don't overpay for middling free agents or get stuck in bad contracts. Particularly while the team isn't championship caliber.

Execution has been horrific.

On the bright side, leaves a pretty nice situation for a new GM to come into and shake things up. High draft pick, lots of cap space. And a good young DL at least.

When does Russell Wilson become part of our plan? 

It's a good article and stuff we already know...but what Idzik has done so far isn't anything shrewd. He's being conservative...you get about 2 years max in this league of being conservative before you expect results. The QB has to be walking through this door next year...

And Russell Wilson is unbelievably good. 

When does Russell Wilson become part of our plan? 

It's a good article and stuff we already know...but what Idzik has done so far isn't anything shrewd. He's being conservative...you get about 2 years max in this league of being conservative before you expect results. The QB has to be walking through this door next year...

And Russell Wilson is unbelievably good. 

Hopefully mariota. They really seem identical, except mariota is 5 inches taller. Would not be disappointed at all if we traded up for him. As much as I hate running quarterbacks, I think he can outplay Wilson eventually. And he's got good character. He won't be missing any meetings because a time zone change. What a load of horsesh*t that excuse was. F*ck Geno.

Hopefully mariota. They really seem identical, except mariota is 5 inches taller. Would not be disappointed at all if we traded up for him. As much as I hate running quarterbacks, I think he can outplay Wilson eventually. And he's got good character. He won't be missing any meetings because a time zone change. What a load of horsesh*t that excuse was. F*ck Geno.

I havent seen enough of Mariota tbh. Can he play under center? Wilson can play both in the pocket and out of it...he's the best QB in the league imo after Rodgers and Peyton.

I havent seen enough of Mariota tbh. Can he play under center? Wilson can play both in the pocket and out of it...he's the best QB in the league imo after Rodgers and Peyton.

I agree about that, before this season I would have left him out of the elite 4, but i'd put him ahead of brees and brady at this point. He's too dangerous as a dual threat. 

He can play under center. I haven't seen remotely enough of it to suggest he's equally as good as he is when he's taking snaps from the gun, but I wouldn't question it either. He's got a lot of talent. I'd check him out. 

No. Blaming him for not taking a QB before Boyd. You wanted him to take a QB in the first round. Would they still've taken Boyd in the sixth? Maybe, maybe not. I don't care. But they had opportunities to grab some big names at the position in the draft as late as their 5th rounder.

Not taking Teddy Bridgewater will bite this team on Tha ass, he was the best prospect at QB this draft by far and 1 bad pro day scared the sh*t out of everyone, lucky Vikings!

Exactly...every move or non-move goes against the thinking of any possible plan.

- If you're going to tank the season, do it with the coach you bring in so he has a year to see his players in action up close.  Having Ryan coach this team makes no sense if you don't want to get him players.

- If you're pinching pennies, don't sign Chris Johnson and Vick.  Should've been Ivory/Powell/Rookie....Geno/vet min journeyman/Simms

- If you're trying to win  now with Rex, get him some players

- If you're building through the draft, give guys time to pan out (Saunders/George) or don't reach for projects.

- If you're mantra is competition, go ahead and have one at the most important position and don't hand it over to a guy who is arguably the worst QB in the NFL.

- If you're trying to get younger, let Calvin Pace walk, don't sign CJ and use some of the 13 picks to fill those roles.

John Idzik = a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

I wasn't crazy about Mariota at the end of last season. I thought he had the tools but was a little raw and I think he made the right decision to stay in school. This year so far he looks like he has progressed. It's still early but he is a very good prospect at this point.

As far as Idzik goes, I would feel a million times better about him if he was better than 2.5/20 on draft picks.

Jesus. Why should this be wrong and your never ending bitchin be right?

This is probably more true than wrong. Aren't you tired of reading an interesting article/post and then see all the crying and nonexistent productive feedback?

This site sucks so much sometimes..

Really bad loss Sunday.  With luck, the threads might be readable by Thursday.

Seattle had no idea that Wilson was going to be this good they got lucky. Otherwise Flynn would have started and we saw what happened with him ! So far none of his middle round picks looked good .

agree but notice that even a team that just forked out a ton of dough for a FA QB still used a relatively early pick in the draft on a QB. Jet strategy is pick a QB, hope and pray he is the guy while you make no contingency plan and have no one to turn to if the kid hits a hurdle or two, making him de facto unbenchable and coddled.

I wasnt a big plan of the article in part because of a number of inaccurate figures. Part of his argument was Vick for $2 vs McCown for $10, except Vick cost $4 and McCown just slightly more. McCown has no guarantees or prorated money in his deal.  On one hand he talks about Seattle not spending except they did in all but 1 year. Wilson was the catalyst that made it all work but they spent and moved players constantly including a first round pick and huge money to Percy Harvin. He talks about how the Jets had limited carryover as if that impacted them except they had the 4th most cap room in the NFL. The fact that they had a small amount of carryover had nothing to do with their ability to use cap space this year. The Patriots have always brought in people and often carry dead cap because the decisions were bad. Was Danny Amendola a big hit FA?  No he was a mid tier guy. Did they waste space on a guy like Issac Sopoaga because they were desperate for a NT?  They sure did when they traded for him.

I have no beef with Idzik going out there and not bringing back Revis or signing Aqib Talib. But no team this barren should completely avoid free agency because they are keeping their fingers crossed that they will hit with a number of 4th-7th round picks. When the picks dont play (and none of the Jets picks do) you are left with nothing except Greg Salas as your primary receiver and Darrin Walls as your best corner.  A few million more and the Jets could have at least had some competent talent on the field and it would not have hurt the flexibility or future cap that much. And if Idzik's goal is to hoard cap space why waste money on a kicker?  Why waste money on Vick?  Why waste it on Johnson?  

On top of that there is only so much one can spend in future free agency. With the cap quickly rising and teams getting smarter with contracts, the excess cap is going to mean less than it did in the past.And unless Woody is going to give the a-ok to just pay back these scrubs on the team, the Jets are going to have to go on a spending spree in the near future just to meet the cash minimums. They are currently at the lowest figure in the entire NFL over a two year period. The only guy they will spend any on that is a current Jet is Wilkerson and potentially Richardson if they agree to extend early, which is supposedly not an Idzik thing.

Idzik's plan works when you have a roster of competent players in place that the young guys develop behind. You draft and hope they replace the veterans. If they dont you hope they can contribute as backups in the future while you search for the veteran replacements. But the way they approached this year they expected them to contribute. There was no risk mitigation here at all. 

I dont want Rex as coach of the team, but if he fires the guy because he didnt win with this talent on the field then the Jets are lost.  You cant give a coach nothing and then blame them for not winning with it. 

I wasnt a big plan of the article in part because of a number of inaccurate figures. Part of his argument was Vick for $2 vs McCown for $10, except Vick cost $4 and McCown just slightly more. McCown has no guarantees or prorated money in his deal. On one hand he talks about Seattle not spending except they did in all but 1 year. Wilson was the catalyst that made it all work but they spent and moved players constantly including a first round pick and huge money to Percy Harvin. He talks about how the Jets had limited carryover as if that impacted them except they had the 4th most cap room in the NFL. The fact that they had a small amount of carryover had nothing to do with their ability to use cap space this year. The Patriots have always brought in people and often carry dead cap because the decisions were bad. Was Danny Amendola a big hit FA? No he was a mid tier guy. Did they waste space on a guy like Issac Sopoaga because they were desperate for a NT? They sure did when they traded for him.

I have no beef with Idzik going out there and not bringing back Revis or signing Aqib Talib. But no team this barren should completely avoid free agency because they are keeping their fingers crossed that they will hit with a number of 4th-7th round picks. When the picks dont play (and none of the Jets picks do) you are left with nothing except Greg Salas as your primary receiver and Darrin Walls as your best corner. A few million more and the Jets could have at least had some competent talent on the field and it would not have hurt the flexibility or future cap that much. And if Idzik's goal is to hoard cap space why waste money on a kicker? Why waste money on Vick? Why waste it on Johnson?

On top of that there is only so much one can spend in future free agency. With the cap quickly rising and teams getting smarter with contracts, the excess cap is going to mean less than it did in the past.And unless Woody is going to give the a-ok to just pay back these scrubs on the team, the Jets are going to have to go on a spending spree in the near future just to meet the cash minimums. They are currently at the lowest figure in the entire NFL over a two year period. The only guy they will spend any on that is a current Jet is Wilkerson and potentially Richardson if they agree to extend early, which is supposedly not an Idzik thing.

Idzik's plan works when you have a roster of competent players in place that the young guys develop behind. You draft and hope they replace the veterans. If they dont you hope they can contribute as backups in the future while you search for the veteran replacements. But the way they approached this year they expected them to contribute. There was no risk mitigation here at all.

I dont want Rex as coach of the team, but if he fires the guy because he didnt win with this talent on the field then the Jets are lost. You cant give a coach nothing and then blame them for not winning with it.

Great take.

You have to spend money and acquire talent using every possible vehicle. I get being responsible, not spending for guys like Revis or Ware, etc. but when your desperate for talent to the point you're relying on guys who are barely in the league for the 2nd straight year, your plan isn't working. It's not like you have a bunch of can't afford to lose talent on the team you're saving money for. Just makes no sense.

The roster is a complete joke, one of the worst in the league and their really isn't a reasonable explanation. No coach wins with this team. Rex needs to go because the Jets need a fresh start, not because he's failing to win with this pathetic of a roster.

France spent 20 years after WWI developing a plan to stop the next German Invasion.

Oh, **** me!  I was going to make a smart ass remark about the surrender monkeys having a plan.  I cannot believe anyone else was going to go there. :)

Archived