Vick Says he wasn't Prepared for Chargers

flgreen

Mike Vick says he may not have been prepared for Chargers

BY SETH WALDER    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Wednesday, October 8, 2014, 5:25 PM A A A

Mike Vick suggests he has to be better prepared to enter a game.

Mike Vick took over for a benched Geno Smith at half time of the Jets’ 31-0 loss to the Chargers but played almost as poorly as the man he replaced. On Wednesday, the veteran backup said he may not have been as ready to enter the game as he should have been.

“Maybe I didn’t prepare or I wasn’t prepared, but I’ll tell you what, it won’t happen again,” Vick said.

He completed eight of 19 pass attempts for 47 yards in the loss.

“I learned a lesson last week: always stay ready, always be prepared,” Vick said. “That left a bitter taste in my mouth that I wasn’t able to go out and put points on the board or even help this team in any fashion. So this week has been a different work week from me (and) throughout the rest of the year, it’s going to be totally different for me as far as my preparation.”

Despite the fact that Smith has not played well this season and was replaced at half time, the second-year QB will start Sunday against the Broncos. Vick indicated that he will take a larger share of the scout team reps, which he splits with practice squad QB Matt Simms, this week.

The QB later said that it wasn't the lack of practice snaps that had him unprepared, but rather that he may have taken the scout team reps for granted.

@SethWalderNYDN

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look, he only thought this was a cool way to make some serious coin on the way out. You didn't expect him to actually play football, did you?Why did he think this? What conversations did he have with the front office when he signed up as to what was expected of him, and what has he been doing since he signed? 

Look, he only thought this was a cool way to make some serious coin on the way out. You didn't expect him to actually play football, did you?Why did he think this? What conversations did he have with the front office when he signed up as to what was expected of him, and what has he been doing since he signed? 

The Jets give him no reps every week, how is he going to prepare? By osmosis?  Mental reps aren't really reps.

I have been all over Geno this year and yeah it's clear Vick is disinterested.  But this whole situation was butchered. They should have made it a competition. The jets fooled themselves into believing Geno was getting better, but really, the positions are just given out by upper management. It's no way to run a football team.

PS _ as bad as Vick was last week he was technically better than Geno, who had a QB rating of 7 and apparently can't tell time.

Well geno says "**** you" to his coach, to the team, to the fans by not bothering to show at the last meeting before game day and tries to pass the most ridiculous and intelligence-insulting excuse possible and the HC does nothing, i can forgive vick for assuming there was nothing geno could do to get the hook

Well geno says "**** you" to his coach, to the team, to the fans by not bothering to show at the last meeting before game day and tries to pass the most ridiculous and intelligence-insulting excuse possible and the HC does nothing, i can forgive vick for assuming there was nothing geno could do to get the hook

yeh Vick at least shows up to the meetings

The Jets give him no reps every week, how is he going to prepare? By osmosis? Mental reps aren't really reps.

I have been all over Geno this year and yeah it's clear Vick is disinterested. But this whole situation was butchered. They should have made it a competition. The jets fooled themselves into believing Geno was getting better, but really, the positions are just given out by upper management. It's no way to run a football team.

PS _ as bad as Vick was last week he was technically better than Geno, who had a QB rating of 7 and apparently can't tell time.

This. There's only so much a backup can work on if he's not working with the 1's. That Rex wasn't all over him to be ready is typical. And I have no doubt it's because he still thinks Geno can be someone. He did the same sh*t with Sanchez. This is literally the same sequence of events and it is insane that he learned nothing from that awful handling.

The Jets give him no reps every week, how is he going to prepare? By osmosis?  Mental reps aren't really reps.

I have been all over Geno this year and yeah it's clear Vick is disinterested.  But this whole situation was butchered. They should have made it a competition. The jets fooled themselves into believing Geno was getting better, but really, the positions are just given out by upper management. It's no way to run a football team.

If they had made it a competition then they would have to share first team reps. Then if the starting QB struggled no matter who it was I am sure a whole bunch of fans would have said what a blunder that was. The starting QB needs all the reps and all the confidence he can get and competent coaching staff would never let a situation like this happen.

Its damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Were any of the Jets even aware there was a game that day? scoring 0 points lol. Clearly their starting quarterback Geno Smith had no idea he went to the movies instead of preparing.

Michael Vick should of started the season opener vs Oakland. This season is already over. Theres no way the Jets beat the Broncos. 1-5 upcoming. They should be "all in" to get that #1 overall pick selection to either Pick Jameis Winston or Marcus Mariota as the quarterback.

Its anyone needed more evidence.  Vick signed here to make 5 mill for holding the clipboard. He did his pre-season work. Came out for regular snaps he was called for and did not do a thing. Now all he wants is to hold a clipboard as long as he can without putting his body to harm.

Nice job to have.

I also hope this puts the final nail in the coffin to the silly idea to start Vick.

The Jets give him no reps every week, how is he going to prepare? By osmosis? Mental reps aren't really reps.

I have been all over Geno this year and yeah it's clear Vick is disinterested. But this whole situation was butchered. They should have made it a competition. The jets fooled themselves into believing Geno was getting better, but really, the positions are just given out by upper management. It's no way to run a football team.

Vick

Archived