Todd Gurley Suspended by UGA

Lith

Suspended indefinitely by UGA for potential violation of NCAA rules.  

From the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/georgia-suspends-todd-gurley/nhfxD/?ecmp=ajc_social_twitter_2014_uga_sfp     

Georgia suspends Todd Gurley indefinitely

By Staff

Georgia suspended tailback Todd Gurley from competition indefinitely, according to a news release from UGA.

The decision stems from an ongoing investigation into an alleged violation of NCAA rules, UGA said.

“I’m obviously very disappointed,” UGA coach Mark Richt said. “The important thing for our team is to turn all our attention toward preparation for Missouri.”

Georgia plays at Missouri at noon Saturday.

In five games this season, Gurley, considered by many one of the leading contenders for the Heisman Trophy, gained 773 yards on 94 carries, an average of 8.2 yards per carry, and has eight rushing touchdowns.

Gurley is the Bulldogs’ third-leading receiver with 11 catches, and last week against Vanderbilt he completed a 50-yard pass.

Suspended indefinitely by UGA for potential violation of NCAA rules.

From the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/georgia-suspends-todd-gurley/nhfxD/?ecmp=ajc_social_twitter_2014_uga_sfp

Georgia suspends Todd Gurley indefinitely

By Staff

Georgia suspended tailback Todd Gurley from competition indefinitely, according to a news release from UGA.

The decision stems from an ongoing investigation into an alleged violation of NCAA rules, UGA said.

“I’m obviously very disappointed,” UGA coach Mark Richt said. “The important thing for our team is to turn all our attention toward preparation for Missouri.”

Georgia plays at Missouri at noon Saturday.

In five games this season, Gurley, considered by many one of the leading contenders for the Heisman Trophy, gained 773 yards on 94 carries, an average of 8.2 yards per carry, and has eight rushing touchdowns.

Gurley is the Bulldogs’ third-leading receiver with 11 catches, and last week against Vanderbilt he completed a 50-yard pass.

Sorry this happened. Gurley is a good dude and a pleasure to watch. You didn't need him this week but he's crucial to the SECE run.

Funny how you guys suspended him but another school out there just turns a blind eye to everything their scumbag superstar does.

Sorry this happened. Gurley is a good dude and a pleasure to watch. You didn't need him this week but he's crucial to the SECE run.

Funny how you guys suspended him but another school out there just turns a blind eye to everything their scumbag superstar does.

I am sorry it happened too.  He seems like a good kid, but he needs to know that he cannot profit off of his name or he risks his eligibility.   And as much as I would like to see UGA get credit for being proactive and suspending him, but its an NCAA requirement that a school suspends a player as soon as they have reason to believe that the player has violated NCAA rules.  In the eyes of the NCAA you are guilty until proven innocent.

I am sorry it happened too.  He seems like a good kid, but he needs to know that he cannot profit off of his name or he risks his eligibility.   And as much as I would like to see UGA get credit for being proactive and suspending him, but its an NCAA requirement that a school suspends a player as soon as they have reason to believe that the player has violated NCAA rules.  In the eyes of the NCAA you are guilty until proven innocent.

Then why is Wintson still playing?  He's got the same connection to JSA.

I thought the NCAA couldnt so anything without proof?  Do they have proof Gurley took money?  I might have missed that part of the story.

Then why is Wintson still playing? He's got the same connection to JSA.

I thought the NCAA couldnt so anything without proof? Do they have proof Gurley took money? I might have missed that part of the story.

From what I understand there is evidence that Gurley took money. FSU is claiming Winston did not or they have not been presented with evidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I understand there is evidence that Gurley took money. FSU is claiming Winston did not or they have not been presented with evidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'd know better than I, but I'm almost certain there is no evidence Gurley took the money.  Only evidence he signed merchandise and that he was filmed at an autograph signing.  But no evidence of an exchange for money. 

I'm trying to find an article but everything I'm seeing saying "accused" of taking money...no evidence. 

You'd know better than I, but I'm almost certain there is no evidence Gurley took the money.  Only evidence he signed merchandise and that he was filmed at an autograph signing.  But no evidence of an exchange for money. 

I'm trying to find an article but everything I'm seeing saying "accused" of taking money...no evidence. 

Not sure what hard evidence exists, but this is what I have read:

According to SI.com's Andy Staples:

A person confirmed to Georgia's compliance office this week that he paid Gurley $400 to sign 80 items on campus in Athens, Ga., one day this past spring. The person claimed to have a photo and video of Gurley signing the items, but neither the photo nor the video showed money changing hands. NCAA rules require schools to immediately declare a player ineligible if they discover a violation has been committed. Schools may then apply for the player's reinstatement. ...

A check of the James Spence Authentication database revealed 90 consecutively numbered pieces of Gurley-signed memorabilia (J19709-J19799), as well as another lot of 20 consecutively numbered pieces (H85318-H85338) of Gurley-signed memorabilia. JSA is one of the leading autograph authentication services. Consecutive authentication numbers suggest all the items were submitted at once following a large-scale signing.

ESPN.com's Darren Rovell, citing a source in the autograph industry, reports that "it was known that Gurley was seeking between $8 and $25 per signature, charging less to an autograph dealer if he signed more pieces." Furthermore, ESPN's story notes that "at least 500 Gurley signed items" were given certificates of authenticity by JSA.

Archived