On Our Opponents' Last Possessions Before Halftime

SoFlaJets

Don't you dare ever say anything negative about Rex or his defense ever again! The man is football royalty and if we did not have him we would have the last ranked defense in every statistical category that matters, and doesn't matter! You take this post back immediately!

Don't you dare ever say anything negative about Rex or his defense ever again! The man is football royalty and if we did not have him we would have the last ranked defense in every statistical category that matters, and doesn't matter! You take this post back immediately!

Do you know how to spell the name of the town in which you live?

The vaunted Rex Ryan defense has given up;

Green Bay -10 play 97 yard TD drive

San Diego - 12 play 91 yard TD drive

Denver           -9 play 80 yard TD drive

Detroit            -5 plays for 47 yard TD drive 

I don't want to say it... but nobody would be surprised at this point if I did.

That is terrible.  You get the feeling everything time the opponent gets the ball before the half that its guaranteed points.  

I'd still like to see a comparison vs. other teams because this happened in every single one of the afternoon games.  Oakland scored on the Chargers, Bears on the Falcons, Cowboys on the Seahawks, Redskins on the Cardinals, and Philly did it to the Giants too.

While its no excuse, I dont think this is terribly uncommon around the league.  Wondering if there is something to it. 

That is terrible.  You get the feeling everything time the opponent gets the ball before the half that is guaranteed points.  

I'd still like to see a comparison vs. other teams because this happened in every single one of the afternoon games.  Oakland scored on the Chargers, Bears on the Falcons, Cowboys on the Seahawks, Redskins on the Cardinals, and Philly did it to the Giants too.

While its no excuse, I dont think this is terribly uncommon around the league.  Wondering if there is something to it. 

Fear of the unknown.  every coach has dreams about getting beat deep.  Even if it never happens. iIt COULD happen.  Instead of doing what has been working all along, drop back and hope they sail a pass or fumble or run out of time.  It is patently ridiculous.  But Rex is not the only one who does it.

Fear of the unknown.  every coach has dreams about getting beat deep.  Even if it never happens. iIt COULD happen.  Instead of doing what has been working all along, drop back and hope they sail a pass or fumble or run out of time.  It is patently ridiculous.  But Rex is not the only one who does it.

Seems like it happens all the time to multiple teams every Sunday.  I dont think they're all in the 80-90 yard fashion like the Jets have a passion for but multiple teams had points scored on them with clock winding down in the first half. 

Patriots, Lions, Broncos, Bengals, Browns, Colts, Titans all scored right before the half vs. their opponent, plus every single team that played late...that means only like 2-3 games yesterday that there werent points scored at the end of the half with time running out.

And the Jets offense had a chance to turn the table yesterday and score before the half but failed.  Go figure.

yeah that is concerning.

I don't think it's about giving up though.  The D is still playing hard.  What I think it's about is that the Jets CB's are awful.  When teams go into the 2 minute drill where they are throwing every down it is just harder to hide the weak CB's  

Seems like it happens all the time to multiple teams every Sunday.  I dont think they're all in the 80-90 yard fashion like the Jets have a passion for but multiple teams had points scored on them with clock winding down in the first half. 

Patriots, Lions, Broncos, Bengals, Browns, Colts, Titans all scored right before the half vs. their opponent, plus every single team that played late...that means only like 2-3 games yesterday that there werent points scored at the end of the half with time running out.

And the Jets offense had a chance to turn the table yesterday and score before the half but failed.  Go figure.

Good point.  It has not been working with Geno at the helm.  But I think the Jet problems stems from Genop's inability to throw a deep ball.  Teams just squeeze up closer against him.  He'd has no deep receivers and when he has thrown it downfield he has not been all that accurate.  I think that was why our run game stunk yesterday

all the rules are written so that points are scored

no one pays directv for the Sunday Ticket so they can watch 3 and outs. 

yeah that is concerning.

I don't think it's about giving up though.  The D is still playing hard.  What I think it's about is that the Jets CB's are awful.  When teams go into the 2 minute drill where they are throwing every down it is just harder to hide the weak CB's  

Absolutely. You dont have the time to sub and scheme in those 2 minutes situations.  Cant always dial up the perfect sneaky defense.  It's more school yard, 1 on 1, man vs. man than other time in the game.  When you have corners who wont be in the league next year playing, that's tough to stop.

Good point.  It has not been working with Geno at the helm.  But I think the Jet problems stems from Genop's inability to throw a deep ball.  Teams just squeeze up closer against him.  He'd has no deep receivers and when he has thrown it downfield he has not been all that accurate.  I think that was why our run game stunk yesterday

Definitely a combo of both.  That Salas drop, was a killer.  That would have put them in FG range.

I was thinking more about whats going on the field.  But DirectTv is a good point too.

Green Bay -10 play 97 yard TD drive

San Diego - 12 play 91 yard TD drive

Denver -9 play 80 yard TD drive

Detroit -5 plays for 47 yard TD drive

The vaunted Rex Ryan defense features Darrin Walls, Phillip Adams and Kyle Wilson at cornerback.

Oh, but season ticket holders get criticized for not making enough noise supporting the defense. You see, we're supposed to cheer 30x a game for someone to stop a first down but only get to cheer 1x a game for getting into the red zone and scoring a touchdown.

In other years with a better roster the Rex Ryan Strategy of channeling the '85 Bears defense and doing just enough to eke out a close win would placate the masses. But these days our awful offense is just too painful to watch anymore. No bucks, no Buck Rogers.

SAR I

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, but season ticket holders get criticized for not making enough noise supporting the defense. You see, we're supposed to cheer 30x a game for someone to stop a first down but only get to cheer 1x a game for getting into the red zone and scoring a touchdown.

In other years with a better roster the Rex Ryan Strategy of channeling the '85 Bears defense and doing just enough to eke out a close win would placate the masses. But these days our awful offense is just too painful to watch anymore. No bucks, no Buck Rogers.

SAR I

****in' A, Bubba.

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608037841833299695&pid=15.1&P=0

This has been going on for years. Through REX years / Through Mangenius / Through Sperm years

It is so deflating for the TEAM as well as the fans to give up TD's right before the half

That is terrible.  You get the feeling everything time the opponent gets the ball before the half that its guaranteed points.  

Amazing.  Teams will do anything to avoid the risk of a long bomb before halftime, including using a prevent defense which virtually  insures the inevitability of the opposing team scoring a touchdown.

And how about our opponents opening drives.  Last 6 games, we have given up 4 TDs and 2 FGs on opening drives.  This is a team that is not built to come from behind, but we fall behind every game:

Lions 7 plays 47 yards FG

Chargers 11 plays, 90 yards.  TD

Broncos 5 plays 62 yards  FG

Patriots 4 plays 80 yards.  TD

Bills  7 plays, 64 yards.  TD

Chiefs  12 plays 81 yards.  TD

Archived