Teflon Rex

GangGreen25

Big of you too judge him off of two seasons and to disregard the rest of his resume to argue against him as the best coach of the Jets.

Just curious, which loss do you attribute to all the nonsense you listed? Which game should the Jets off of their personnel do you think they should have won? You judge the job he's done off of wins he turned into losses, not by losing games you went into knowing they should lose.

Green bay.

He has the team he helped build over 6 years.

He is a mediocre in-game coach. He is clumsy with the clock, challenges, adjustments, and many other in-game decisions, like playing a prevent style defense to sit on a lead against elite QBs. His defense can't create turnovers, no matter how many 1st round picks play on it. He consistently loses games he has extra time to plan for. To top it off, he disregards the offense in just about every detrimental way possible, and only involves himself in it enough to instill his complete distrust in it, which is fundamentally jarring and frankly the polar opposite of all that "master motivator" crap that you slurp up.

The guy is fantastically awful. He's an extremely likable dude, and you can tell by the fact that most people that complain about him, usually phrase it this way: "I love Rex, but ...."

The lack of talent on this roster is not an excuse for Rex, it is an indictment of him. He was basically afforded a Parcells-like level of influence while Tannenbaum was here. Dictating much of what this team did from a personnel standpoint. It seems as if he still carries a lot of weight with Idzik.

So, he's not a good game coach, he's not a good organizational coach, and he's not a good personnel acquisition and development coach. 

What the **** are we supposed to regret when he's gone?

You've really shown a proclivity for being one of those "I want change, but I'm afraid of the unknown commodity" types.

=D>  

:cheers:

About challenges-other NFL teams have someone designated inn the booth to keep on eye on the replay and tell the HC in his heaset IMMEDIATELY when to challenge and when not to do so. It's a system, you have somneone you tyrust do the eyeballs test and you have a sensible outcome, and don't waste timeouts.

The Jets have no system in place. Ryan simply looks at the jumbotron and responds emotionally like any drunk in the stands. Timeouts are habiually wasted as another pointless challenge doesn't get overturned. This happens almost every week wihout fail. Ryan must have the worst percentage on challenges ever. And that goes along with timeouts gettingw used for total nonsense like slow substitutions, things Pop Warner coaches figure out about 5 minutes into Day 1.

Rex has always treated challenges like they were duo-overs.   There is never evidence of a bad call just a bad result that he wishes he could do again.  

it's like rex paid $20 for 2 mulligans and he thinks he can use them any time during the game. 

That wasn't the theme.  It was not only do some defend Rex, their are those who literally think he is the greatest coach ever.  Literally. Read the post again.  Rex is getting fired, that's not debatable.  What's interesting to me is why it bothers so many.

No one has ever said he's the greatest coach ever. Literally.

Ryan simply looks at the jumbotron and responds emotionally like any drunk in the stands. Timeouts are habiually wasted as another pointless challenge doesn't get overturned. This happens almost every week wihout fail. Ryan must have the worst percentage on challenges ever 

He's 1-1 on the year. 50%

Spot on, it's dumbfounding to see how sizable a percentage of the fanbase he's managed to hoodwink.

Yup, Rex is the closest thing we will ever see to a Jet fan coaching on the sideline. Throw in the fact that he had early success (albeit a ton of luck) and he had the fan base at hello.

Obviously there is plenty of blame to go around here. I am all for people being frustrated with and even calling for the ouster of Idzik.  I would say its even reasonable to defend Rex, and feel like he has been given a raw deal.  But the number of people within the fan base who still think Rex is this great HC and exceptional leader of men I find mind boggling.  I mean I read some posts last night that sounded like we risk loosing the next Vince Lombardi if we fire Rex.  Some saying the best coach in Jets history.  The guy is 15-23 in the last 2 plus years.  He has lost this team twice, once at the end of 2012 and again this year.  Would anyone have traded for the Raiders roster at the beginning of the year?  Yet they go out and take the Chargers all the way to the end, almost winning, with an interim head coach.  One person suggested when we fire Rex, and make no mistake he is done, that he will have GMs fighting over him for a HC opportunity.  Is it me or is that ridiculous.  I mean of you consider the entire body of wok, is Rex like John Fox?  Yes the schedule has been tough, but come on Detroit and Chicago are average at best.  We were offered a glimmer of hop at home against Detroit, but 17-3 at half and were basically dominated for 2 quarters.  By Detroit???  The Jets are just not very prepared to play.  Losing a team is about as big a sin for a head football coach.  And we've been down that road twice with Rex.  Its time to face reality Rex fans.   He's just not as good as you want him to be.

Nobody is defending Rex - let alone calling him a great coach.  But the roster is what it is.  Idzik has assembled the worst roster in the NFL and will continue to do so the next 2-3 years until his dumbass gets fired too.

But when he missed the Super Bowl by one game two years in a row, with a qb named Mark Sanchez in his first two years and no pass rush, he WAS a good coach. It doesnt add up.

What happened is that instead of filling a couple gaps necessary to put us over the hump, Tannebum instead dismantled the entire offense, leaving us impotent. Then he followed that brilliance up with Tim Tebow and Tony Sparano and we'VE been reeling ever since.

Its not debatable that he was a good coach in his first two years ...ao what changed?

In the middle of the carousel thats gone on around him of Idzig, Tanny, woody, Shottenheimer, Sporano, Sanchez, Smith hes the only one capable at what he does.

Rex may very well be burnt out here, but make no mistake, he wasnt the problem. Had he been able to parlay what he had we our current d line, we would have a trophy. But our idiotic fo couldnt maintain any continuity.

But when he missed the Super Bowl by one game two years in a row, with a qb named Mark Sanchez in his first two years and no pass rush, he WAS a good coach. It doesnt add up.

What happened is that instead of filling a couple gaps necessary to put us over the hump, Tannebum instead dismantled the entire offense, leaving us impotent. Then he followed that brilliance up with Tim Tebow and Tony Sparano and we'VE been reeling ever since.

Its not debatable that he was a good coach in his first two years ...ao what changed?

In the middle of the carousel thats gone on around him of Idzig, Tanny, woody, Shottenheimer, Sporano, Sanchez, Smith hes the only one capable at what he does.

Rex may very well be burnt out here, but make no mistake, he wasnt the problem. Had he been able to parlay what he had we our current d line, we would have a trophy. But our idiotic fo couldnt maintain any continuity.

Nope I wanted fired by the end of year 3.  Obviously you are not firing the AFC runner up.  But even than all the sh*t we see no we saw than.  Substitution BS, constant timeouts for BS reasons, penalties, not holding players accountable.  If he stays we will never win. 

Nope I wanted fired by the end of year 3. Obviously you are not firing the AFC runner up. But even than all the sh*t we see no we saw than. Substitution BS, constant timeouts for BS reasons, penalties, not holding players accountable. If he stays we will never win.

He missed the super bowl by one game...twice in a row! He beat the Pats in foxboro to get to the afc championship, which btw no other Jet coach has ever done. Bill Parcells went once and were ready to put a bronze statue in the parking lot.

How could you possibly say we will never win with him here? Thats ridiculous. lol

And he did that, like I said with supposedly the worst QB in history, according to everyone in NY (well until his replacement stepped), and no way to pressure the QB without blitzing.

No, seriously, if you wanted him gone after year three you're nuts.....(with all due forum respect)

If we had a competent GM we may have had a trophy that year. Normally when you do miss by one game back to back, you make a couple tweaks, shore up your weak spots.......you dont break apart the entire offense. its about continuity. Youre offense was finally starting to gel, you have the QB YOU moved mountains to get going into his third year......so you keep your locker room cancer and trade your most dependable third down target ( and leader on offense), Jericho Cotchery, your biggest target, deep threat, and leading receiver with over 900 yards, B.Edwards, and your do it all Brad Smith...about 1700 yards between them and replace them all with a 34 yr old Plaxeco Buress....who brought 0 yrds from the prior year because he was in the clink.

What do you expect?

Two things vital to a coach---the GM and the QB- who has had it worse?

I dont even know why Im wasting my time caring though. The torture will never stop with this team. lol

He missed the super bowl by one game...twice in a row! He beat the Pats in foxboro to get to the afc championship, which btw no other Jet coach has ever done. Bill Parcells went once and were ready to put a bronze statue in the parking lot.

How could you possibly say we will never win with him here? Thats ridiculous. lol

And he did that, like I said with supposedly the worst QB in history, according to everyone in NY (well until his replacement stepped), and no way to pressure the QB without blitzing.

No, seriously, if you wanted him gone after year three you're nuts.....(with all due forum respect)

If we had a competent GM we may have had a trophy that year. Normally when you do miss by one game back to back, you make a couple tweaks, shore up your weak spots.......you dont break apart the entire offense. its about continuity. Youre offense was finally starting to gel, you have the QB YOU moved mountains to get going into his third year......so you keep your locker room cancer and trade your most dependable third down target ( and leader on offense), Jericho Cotchery, your biggest target, deep threat, and leading receiver with over 900 yards, B.Edwards, and your do it all Brad Smith...about 1700 yards between them and replace them all with a 34 yr old Plaxeco Buress....who brought 0 yrds from the prior year because he was in the clink.

What do you expect?

Two things vital to a coach---the GM and the QB- who has had it worse?

I dont even know why Im wasting my time caring though. The torture will never stop with this team. lol

I agree totally with the assessment of how personnel was handled going into year three.  Here's my problem, and it goes beyond the penalties, the clock management, and the keystone cop personnel issues on game day.  He is a player coach, which I am fine with in general.  Dick Vermeil was too.  But remember when Larry Johnson was in Kansas City, the sh*t Vermeil gave him publicly.  Larry Johnson was a bad guy even at PSU.  If his dad wasn't a coach he'd have never made it 4 years there.  Rex doesn't play that role when he absolutely must.  Even an average BS tight end like Mulligan who held and went off sides constantly never lost time or was challenged publicly.  Ridley of the Pats as a rookie fumbled in the 3rd quarter of an AFC Division game with the Pats up 30+ points to the Tebow lead Broncos.  Meaningless turnover in the large scheme.  He was inactivated for the AFC championship game.  And the Pats were really hurting at RB at the time.  They had nobody.  That's how you send messages about focus and professionalism.  If there is no ramification to actions what's the motivation to get better.  We will not win with him.  He is our Jerry Glanville.  Get guys to love him but in the end you just don't get the most out of them. 

Rex Ryan is half a HC at best. I have said this as MexiRoll6 here for the past year and elsewhere for the last three years. A lot of people point out that the Jets play hard for him and they do. They also played hard for Rich Kotite, but does anyone miss him as HC? The Jets under Rex too often looked flustered at critical times. They too often waste timeouts because of miscommunication or dumb challenges. Too often the Jets lose games at the end when the defense just needs ONE STOP. You can say he has been saddled with a bad team personnel wise, but look at the piss poor collection of WR's the Patriots have and yet Tom Brady keeps winning with them. Excuses are ALL Jets fans have heard from Rex. It is admirable that he takes responsibility for players mistakes, but it would be better if he held those players accountable for their OWN mistakes. Look at Ryan Quigley. This guy consistently shanks punts when the Jets are backed up and consistently bombs 60 yarders at midfield. Look at Kyle Wilson - a CB in his fifth year - he has YET to make a quality play and yet here he is. I could go on and on but there will always be those fans scared of change for the sake of change. Rex's firing has been long overdue.

You make a good point about breaking up the offense. The Jets let go of Alan Fanaca, Thomas Jones, Braylon Edwards and Jerricho Cotchery that year and expected young Mark Sanchez to be BETTER. Impossible, but don't tell me Rex Ryan didn't have a hand in thise decisions - he was the HC. I am sure that if he could go abck in time that he would have nixed those moves, but we can't and the rest is laughable Jets history as Rex has chased his tail looking for that lost magic. Once lost it is gone forever.

Don't try and tell us that Rex had NO SAY in these bad moves. He most certainly DID. Sanchez was stripped of his best WR's (Edwards and Cotchery) not to mention Fanaca and Thomas Jones and expected to be BETTER. Rex has had a lot to do with EVERYTHING that has gone wrong over the past four years, including this one. If Idzik had been allowed to fire him after last season I believe he would have spent money til the cows came home for his guy and the Jets would be MUCH better that hey are. Idzik doesn't want Rex and made that clear by sitting on the money and allowing the season to flounder, which does not reflect well on him...but that's another issue.

Archived