Bills give WR Mike Williams permission to seek trade

AFJF

Idzik won't do anything, I know...should he?  Same division, but he was a healthy scratch last week and averaging two catches per game.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11693856/mike-williams-agent-shops-trade-buffalo-bills

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- After wide receiver Mike Williams was deactivated for the Buffalo Bills' 37-22 loss to the New England Patriots on Sunday, his agent has requested permission to gauge interest for a trade.

Bills general manager Doug Whaley said Monday that the Bills are not actively shopping Williams but will entertain offers. He added that no team has approached the Bills about Williams.  "I said, 'We like Mike Williams. We expect him back and we expect big things from him,'" Whaley said. "But like anybody, if he gets us compensation worthy of a No. 1 wide receiver -- which he claimed he is -- then we would entertain it.

"He's taken it as permission, but I see it as, anybody on this team, we have to do our due diligence, and if there's somebody out there that is willing to give us compensation that we think is fair, and would help us in the long run, we would entertain it. That doesn't say we're gonna do it, but we would entertain it."

Williams declined comment in the locker room Monday morning. His agent, Hadley Engelhard, said only that his client is "eager to reach out to teams."

Williams, however, took to Twitter on Monday afternoon.

The NFL's trade deadline is Oct. 28.

The Bills acquired Williams in an offseason trade with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in exchange for a 2014 sixth-round draft choice. Williams, 27, has a guaranteed base salary of $1.6 million this season and his $5.2 million base salary in 2015 is also guaranteed.

Williams was a healthy scratch for Sunday's game. He posted the news on Instagram, accompanied by a backward picture of his jersey and the hashtag "wastedJersey."

"GameDay GOODLUCK TO MY COACHES AND TEAM MATES..... I'm not playing today but we still need this win TODAY I JUST WASNT IN THE TOP 53 this week I might make the cut next week #TeamMike....... #wastedJersey," Williams wrote.

After starting at wide receiver for the first four preseason games, Williams lost his starting job to Robert Woods by the beginning of the regular season. In five games, Williams has eight catches for 142 yards and one touchdown.

Coach Doug Marrone said the decision to deactivate Williams on Sunday came down to whether the Bills wanted an extra tight end or a wide receiver active.

"When that stuff happened and it went down on Saturday, Mike was disappointed as any player would be. But I thought he handled it very professionally, in my conversations with him," Marrone said Monday. "I just heard about it coming down -- because I've been in meetings all day -- about his agent called. Mike hasn't communicated anything like that to me. I've had zero problems with him."

It makes too much sense which is why the Jets WON'T do it. You know say what we will about Mike Tannenbaum but in retrospect he at least did make some of the deals that we the fans wanted them to (but they never would) make. Oh no, it's really gooten bad, here I am longing for the good ol days when Mike T was the GM

Why are people trying to salvage what is clearly a lost season? The only thing you'll accomplish is ruining our draft position. Instead of being buyers, we should be looking to sell off older guys who still have some value like Brick and Mangold to contending teams who might need the help.

Probably not a bad idea, I'm sure he'll be a free agent next year anyway.

Why are people trying to salvage what is clearly a lost season? The only thing you'll accomplish is ruining our draft position. Instead of being buyers, we should be looking to sell off older guys who still have some value like Brick and Mangold to contending teams who might need the help.

So we can have another glaring hole or two? 

So we can have another glaring hole or two? 

What don't you understand? This season is lost, and our OL is the 3rd oldest in the league and needs to be rebuilt anyway. Why not sell while they still have any value left, which also helps enable our tank job in this lost season for the highest pick possible. 

You have to know when to be a buyer and when to be a seller. This is a team in the middle of a rebuild that isn't going anywhere this season. We should be sellers. If we were a team making a serious run this season, then it would make sense to be a buyer.

What don't you understand? This season is lost, and our OL is the 3rd oldest in the league and needs to be rebuilt anyway. Why not sell while they still have any value left, which also helps enable our tank job in this lost season for the highest pick possible. 

You have to know when to be a buyer and when to be a seller. This is a team in the middle of a rebuild that isn't going anywhere this season. We should be sellers. If we were a team making a serious run this season, then it would make sense to be a buyer.

I understand. I find your assessment amusing. So cut get rid of two vets still doing a solid job, in order to draft two more replacements, make two more holes, and then have this great GM find us winning prospects there when he couldn't find anything ever. Got it. 

I understand. I find your assessment amusing. So cut get rid of two vets still doing a solid job, in order to draft two more replacements, make two more holes, and then have this great GM find us winning prospects there when he couldn't find anything ever. Got it. 

Not cut - trade. IOW, get something of value in return. They're old and on the decline and need to be replaced within the next year or two anyway, so we might as well get a head start on it now during a lost season while they can still bring back something of value in return.

Smart teams know when to cut bait to focus on the future; dumb teams sacrifice the future to focus on success in the present that won't materialize.

I say pass. Need to get the first overall draft pick next ur to draft a DL.

Draft a DL for what we have the best d line in the NFL and have spent a 1st round pick on defensive linemen 3 outbid the past 4 years (-coples .. Wilkerson .. Richardson -) we need

Cb's ,Wr's ,a left guard a.d most importantly a quarterback

Draft a DL for what we have the best d line in the NFL and have spent a 1st round pick on defensive linemen 3 outbid the past 4 years (-coples .. Wilkerson .. Richardson -) we need

I believe the man was being sarcastic. I know that's unusual on this site. :sign0182:

Sorry, couldn't find the sarcasm button.

Agree we should looking for best draft position possible, but we have to start building Geno up. And the only way to do that, is to give him some actual professionals in the skill positions.

Archived