If The Jets Start 1-9....

Warfish

less than 8 wins and the pitchfork wielding crew gets their wish.

I am not fond of dealing with the hypothetical like that. Why don't you ask me, would the stock market be tanking today if Romney was elected instead of Obama while you are at it?

What we do know is that Rex is in his 6th year, the roster went dramatically downhill during that time period, of which the same GM was here for most of that time period as was the one who build the roster he had early success with.

His offenses have been horrible since his inherited OL fell apart.

He is on his 3rd OC, second one he hand picked.

I think Sanchez could have been a starting QB in this league, while that opinion is not shared by many, I think Rex played a huge hand in destroying him, or at a minimum standing back and letting him be destroyed.

I think Rex is a great defensive guy, and a great defensive game planner. I just don't think he has shown he has the ability to lead a whole team for the long haul.

I think a HC needs to be the leader of the whole team, not just the defense. I am not saying he needs to be an expert on all phases of the game, but does need to be a leader.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it's all Ryan's fault, but I think he will be gone.  If they continue to play like this, I don't see dumping him before the bye.  There is no reason to do that unless you are worried they will turn it around and Idzik is worried he will be stuck with Rex again after a 6-10/7-9 type season.  The record is not what will convince me one way or the other.  There has been enough reason to fire him already and they didn't.  Idzik knows what he gave him and when you have that O and no CBs on the roster you can't expect much.  At the current time, this team does not have a single legit CB.  I know that is supposed to be Ryan's fault, but he wasn't all pissed about letting DRC out of the building because he thought going into the season with Walls and Patterson was a good idea. 

In the NFL, only one person has absolute control of the 53-man roster. That person is either the head coach or the GM. Regardless of who has control of the roster, coach and GM have to agree on these personnel decisions.  So if that is the case Wrecks and idzik both are responsible for the roster decisions.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/The-GMcoach-relationship.html

......will all the "it's not Rex's fault" guys change their minds?  Or are they wedded to Rex getting a 7th year after four strait non-winning seasons no matter what?

If we lose to N.E. (in NE), Buffalo, K.C. (at KC) & Pittsburgh, which is entirely possible by the way, and go a stunning 1-9 to start, does Rex even make it to the end of the Bye Week?

What record in 2014 would it take, if any, to convince the Rexophiles that Rex should go at years end?

1-15?

Yes, I do think Rex will be gone . Don't think we will be 2-14 or near that.  Maybe 5-11.  But Idzik will have a ton on $$ to build next years team, and get a legit QB.....  not so easy, tho.  Maybe get Brian Hoyer in free agency and take a first round QB in draft.....?   I could live with that. see write -up below from Bill Barnwell @  grantland.com

The truth for Idzik and the Jets right now is that it doesn’t matter what they do elsewhere in terms of winning now without a quarterback. They’re bad enough at that position that the other moves they make are just window dressing — a series of short-term decisions and drafted lottery tickets to set them up for that moment when they actually have the quarterback they need to succeed. That’s not what Rex Ryan or Jets fans want to hear, but it’s the reality of where they’re at in the NFL. Idzik still has to execute that plan, and it won’t matter until he finds that quarterback, but he’s on the right track.

As for Ryan and the Jets? Expectations were likely too high coming into the season. The Jets were 8-8 last year, but they were outscored by 97 points, which is the point differential of a 5.4-win team. That win-loss record included an unsustainable 5-1 performance in games decided by a touchdown or less, including two miraculous wins driven by unlikely late-game penalties on the Buccaneers and Patriots. The Jets already had two seven-point losses and an eight-point loss on their résumé this year before Sunday’s blowout. If they had enjoyed just an average amount of luck in close games last year and gone 5-11, Ryan probably would have been fired. Now, regardless of what Idzik does, Ryan will probably suffer that fate.

In the NFL, only one person has absolute control of the 53-man roster. That person is either the head coach or the GM. Regardless of who has control of the roster, coach and GM have to agree on these personnel decisions.  So if that is the case Wrecks and idzik both are responsible for the roster decisions.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/The-GMcoach-relationship.html

Thank you wikipedia.  That is very helpful. Real insight into the Jets power structure.  I wonder if Woody and Boies Schiller consulted that when they chose a GM. 

Thank you wikipedia.  That is very helpful. Real insight into the Jets power structure.  I wonder if Woody and Boies Schiller consulted that when they chose a GM. 

it's not wikepedia.It was a article written in Sports Illustrated. You know people that get paid to research and write for a magazine with over a million subscribers they might know what they are talking about.

It seems impossible that Idzik could get fired, based on length of service. But with this start, and the early returns on his drafts all bets are off.

The Jets ironically will have some talent (not a ton) next year and a ton of cap space. So if they are going to turn this around, next year is crucial. Not sure Idzik has earned the right to give it another shot.

If Harbaugh wants full control, I kiss Johnny goodbye on the mouth.

it's not wikepedia.It was a article written in Sports Illustrated. You know people that get paid to research and write for a magazine with over a million subscribers they might know what they are talking about.

Every team is different and some of us have probably been complaining about the Jets ****ed up power structure since before you were born.  There is no way to tell who has what power or who is making the final decisions.  Some feel Rex has too much influence and brings in too much D and bad character.  Others, like me, tend to think that is overblown and the GM should make those decisions and if Rex were "buying the groceries" then Tannenbaum should not have been the scapegoat and the team would have NFL level CBs now and not mini-draft rejects.  

SI will tell you none of this.  Sorry if I was not welcoming, but that article was super basic and I would be sad if anybody here didn't already know all of that.  In fact, it cites Mike T/Rex as a strong relationship - so strong that Tannenbaum was dumped.

To be fair, the NFL gave us a schedule where almost all 16 of our games are against better opponents.

It's true.  The NFL hates the Jets.  Just look at the penalty (non)calls.  They won't even give the Jets a franchise QB.

If the Jest go 1-9, then they will reel off 6 wins in a row to "finish the season strong", thereby creating reservation about shltcanning Rex.

I think it's probably time for Rex to mosey on.  What tips the scale for me is that if Rex is such a defensive genius, then why the hell don't the Jest have an all out dominate, kick you right in the fvcking teeth, defense?  This defense is soft, and that is unacceptable.  Nothing like the Ravens D of the 2000's that I expected would be the Jest defense when Rex got here.

There's no way that Woody sits up there all by himself at the end of the season, which I believe   was the reason that Rex wasn't fired 2 seasons ago after Tannenbaum, Sparano, and almost everybody else got canned. Woody would never have the guts to sit up there and face the press alone. That's why there is no way that both Rex and Idzik get canned-it'll be one or t'other, and my money is with the rest of youse guys: on Rex being sh!tcanned and deservedly so

Hence the thread and question.

Since you posted, I'll ask YOU directly:

What will it take for YOU (or any Rex Supporter)to WANT Rex Ryan Fired?

I'll throw my hat in the ring on this one since I'm a Rex fan.

IF it truly was Rex's decision to play Geno after missing the meeting in SD then he needs to go.  At this point, I think Idzik is telling him that his golden boy shall start now matter the circumstance.  If it wasn't Idzik's call, and Rex truly decided (again) not to hold a player accountable, then enough is enough.  Sadly, nobody here knows who made the call for Geno to start.

What will it take for me to want to see Rex fired (other than the above) is what it is with any coach of any team I've ever been a fan of...fail to get the most out of his players.  When you have the talent to contend or compete, you better contend or compete.  When you have a roster capable of "x" amount of wins, you better get that number of wins.  Right now, Rex will probably win between 4-6 games which IMO, is as good as or even better than what could be expected given the lack of talent he has been given, and the schedule they will play.  When Rex has a competent QB and actual CB's playing the position and fails to get to the playoffs, time to go.

When Rex has a competent QB and actual CB's playing the position and fails to get to the playoffs, time to go.

So as long as a vague plausible case can be made that Rex doesn't have a team full of All-Pro talent, he can stay?

And as long as he goes 4-12, but "got the most out of his talent", he can stay, forever, winning 4 games a year?

And of course, the Rex fan will always say our talent sucks, the GM sucks, the O-Co sucks, the players suck, because otherwise, in perfect circular logic, Rex WOULD be doing better, of course, right?

I, as a fan, should be HAPPY we won as much as we did last year, and not displeased we are on season #4 without even much hope of a playoff game, much less a run, the first streak of that type since Pre-Parcells.

So as long as a vague plausible case can be made that Rex doesn't have a team full of All-Pro talent, he can stay?

And as long as he goes 4-12, but "got the most out of his talent", he can stay, forever, winning 4 games a year?

And of course, the Rex fan will always say our talent sucks, the GM sucks, the O-Co sucks, the players suck, because otherwise, in perfect circular logic, Rex WOULD be doing better, of course, right?

I, as a fan, should be HAPPY we won as much as we did last year, and not displeased we are on season #4 without even much hope of a playoff game, much less a run, the first streak of that type since Pre-Parcells.

That doesn't even come remotely close to what I said so I'm not sure there's a point to continuing the conversation, but I'll try to explain it again.

I said a competent QB and actual CB's who are regarded as more than just an UDFA trash but I guess when you have an agenda, that translates to "team full of All-Pro talent"

If he keeps getting a team capable of four wins, and he keeps getting four wins, then yes.  That is my personal preference.  Get the most that can be realistically expected out of your roster.  Is there a head coach who is going to magically step in and lead a team with four win talent to the Super Bowl?  You have an issue with a coach getting the most out of his team?  Seems logical.

If Harbaugh wants full control, I kiss Johnny goodbye on the mouth.

If Harbaugh really becomes available they have to make that happen. No doubt.

^These. You could make the case that Jim Harbaugh is the best HC in the NFL today - .755 win %, never did worse than making the conference championship game (with 2 different QBs no less), and is something of a QB whisperer (Alex Smith never looked as good as he did/does now until Harbaugh got a hold of him), which is something we'll desperately need if we're planning to draft/groom a new QB next year.

If I'm Woody, I move Heaven and Earth to try to bring Harbaugh here, even if that means giving him the Parcells role (can anyone honestly say they trust Idzik more to spot/draft talent than JH?). The only thing I don't do is trade this years #1 to SF for him if we're in a position to grab Mariota with it - but short of that, I give Jim/SF whatever they want to facilitate bringing him to Florham Park.

Since Rex is the absolute worst Head Coach to ever walk the face of planet, why is anyone expecting anything better than a 1-9 start?

No way he ever gets another gig.  Dude couldn't win multiple SB's with Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith...no more damning statement has ever been made about a HC.

No way he ever gets another gig.  Dude couldn't win multiple SB's with Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith...no more damning statement has ever been made about a HC.

Worst QB in the league, worst secondary in the league, one of if not the least talented rosters in the league led by the worst Head Coach in the league and yet, people expect this team to win.  

Hmmmmmm........

That doesn't even come remotely close to what I said so I'm not sure there's a point to continuing the conversation, but I'll try to explain it again.

It's not what you're saying today. It's what Rex Fans WILL invariably say next year, and the year after, and the year after.

It's not very different from what Sanchez Fans said, we have to keep him till we get....till we have.....he's doing his best.....we just need more.....one more year......etc.

I said a competent QB and actual CB's who are regarded as more than just an UDFA trash but I guess when you have an agenda, that translates to "team full of All-Pro talent"

Because when we fix CB, or QB (which will never be "fixed" under Rex, just FYI), or whatever, it'll be something else, some other unit or player or Asst. coach, that can/will be thrown under the bus to protect Rex.

That's the point. For Rex to be what Rex fans claim, every other person on the Jets, from Rex's first day till now, must suck.....because since day 1, Rex's failure has been blamed on almost everyone BUT Rex by his supporters.

Like I said, QB #5, GM #3, WR #52 and CB #152, THOSE will be the guys, right? Because those who came first just held Rex back, right?

If he keeps getting a team capable of four wins, and he keeps getting four wins, then yes.  That is my personal preference.  Get the most that can be realistically expected out of your roster.  Is there a head coach who is going to magically step in and lead a team with four win talent to the Super Bowl?  You have an issue with a coach getting the most out of his team?  Seems logical.

I disagree with the premise, that Rex "gets the most" out of his team.

He doesn't. Not even close.

He doesn't even get the most out of the Defense, a group full of first rounders on the line, and "Rex's Guys" in the Dbackfield (oh, right, Rexophiles think Rex gets no say, lol, right), and all of whom are a hot mess ~50% of the game, and brilliant 50% of the game. Sadly, it's the hot mess part they usually save for when it matters.

That's not "getting the most".

It's not what you're saying today. It's what Rex Fans WILL invariably say next year, and the year after, and the year after.

It's not very different from what Sanchez Fans said, we have to keep him till we get....till we have.....he's doing his best.....we just need more.....one more year......etc.

Because when we fix CB, or QB (which will never be "fixed" under Rex, just FYI), or whatever, it'll be something else, some other unit or player or Asst. coach, that can/will be thrown under the bus to protect Rex.

That's the point. For Rex to be what Rex fans claim, every other person on the Jets, from Rex's first day till now, must suck.....because since day 1, Rex's failure has been blamed on almost everyone BUT Rex by his supporters.

Like I said, QB #3, GM #3, WR #52 and CB #152, THOSE will be the guys, right? Because those who came first just held Rex back, right?

I disagree with the premise, that Rex "gets the most" out of his team.

He doesn't. Not even close.

He doesn't even get the most out of the Defense, a group full of first rounders on the line, and "Rex's Guys" in the Dbackfield (oh, right, Rexophiles think Rex gets no say, lol, right), and all of whom are a hot mess ~50% of the game, and brilliant 50% of the game. Sadly, it's the hot mess part they usually save for when it matters.

That's not "getting the most".

Your question was worded in such a way that I was under the impression that you were looking for an answer as to what the thought process is in supporting Rex through difficult times.  If I  had known it was simply for you to take my answer and tell me that it wasn't my opinion but the future opinions of others, well then I guess there wasn't much point in answering it.  You may as well find like-minded people and discuss consensus future predicted responses of those you disagree with.  Oh, and I completely agree, should have multiple rings at this point with Sanchez and Geno despite the fact that BB can't win one with Tom Brady.

Rex fans

Rexophiles

Rex supports

lol - I'm a Jets fan who wants to see his Head Coach succeed.  Shame on me.  At least there are the better fans around here who are soooo much more knowledgeable to keep us Rexophiles (my favorite one) in check.

If harbaugh wanted to resurrect a clusterf--k, he'd go to Michigan. Harbaugh ain't coming here.

I like kubiak, but if idzik stays I guess we're getting someone that runs things like Seahawks program.

He'll come if we present him with a more attractive/lucrative offer than anyone else. Parcells-esque control of a team in the league's biggest market must be tempting as hell in and of itself; throw in a contract offer in the neighborhood of 5/50 and I don't see him turning that down.

Make it worth his while and he'll come. And frankly, it would represent the smartest decision this franchise has made in recent memory.

Rex fans

Rexophiles

Rex supports

lol - I'm a Jets fan who wants to see his Head Coach succeed.  Shame on me.  At least there are the better fans around here who are soooo much more knowledgeable to keep us Rexophiles (my favorite one) in check.

I wish I was rooting for them to fail, 'cause then I'd be enjoying the season a lot more.

Luckily, soon, our highly skilled GM will be picking his very own head coach. Next year is gonna be awesome! 

Archived