Rex Missed Chance to Save Jets Season by not Switching Smith for Vick

flgreen

Rex Ryan missed chance to save NY Jets season by not switching from Geno Smith to Michael Vick Floundering at 1-3 after a loss to the Lions, Ryan could have made a call to the bullpen for Vick, but now it is to late for the veteran to save the season.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Wednesday, October 15, 2014, 10:58 PM

manish16s-2-web.jpgROBERT SABO/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

The window to replace Geno Smith (l.) with Michael Vick has been missed, it seems.

It will be weeks, maybe a month or so, before the Jets are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, but Rex Ryan can point to Sept. 29 as the unofficial date when everything was lost.

The Jets had an 18-day window to reverse course, fix a mistake at the game’s most important position and salvage a season quickly spiraling out of control.

Geno Smith was a September flop, a mistake-prone, overmatched quarterback who threatened to take down the entire team with his poor play.

The Jets’ 24-17 loss to the Lions on Sept. 28 dropped them to 1-3. Smith punctuated his sloppy two-turnover performance by dropping an F-bomb to a fan twice as he walked off the field.

Ryan should have replaced Smith with Mike Vick the following morning for his lack of production.

The team’s decision makers made the right call in giving Smith, who capped an erratic rookie season with a promising December, the first crack at breaking the Jets’ three-year playoff drought. The first quarter of 2014 was a fair amount of time. He should have kept the job as long as he didn’t implode in the first month.

Alas, he did.

Smith was a turnover machine who regressed to help the Jets lose three of their first four games.

Thankfully for Ryan, the rest of the AFC East sputtered out of the gate, too. The Patriots, who await in Foxborough on Thursday, were having their own issues at the time at 2-2. Ryan’s team faced a critical three-game stretch against the Chargers, Broncos and Patriots that threatened to kill their season if they weren’t careful.

nydailynews_cplogo.png?t=1413300720
Sports Talk: Jets hope to sink Patriots
NY Daily News

16258805.jpg?t=1413300720

Ryan owed it to his players, his fan base and himself to make a quarterback change and jump-start a struggling team.

It made perfect sense to insert Vick, seemingly signed this offseason for scenarios just like the one that had materialized at the quarter pole. Philip Rivers, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady loomed.

Smith gave Ryan no reason to stick with him. He had shown no instincts or natural feel for the position under duress. He looked lost most of the time. He was killing the team.

Ryan’s loyalty to another quarterback had backfired before

He stuck with a struggling Mark Sanchez in 2012 before pulling the plug too late. That loyalty, in some ways, was understandable.

Ryan and Sanchez had won four playoff games together, the swashbuckling head coach and his No. 5 overall draft pick painting New York/New Jersey green by getting to the doorstep of the Super Bowl in their first two seasons. Ryan had plenty invested in Sanchez. He might have been hard-headed, but it made sense on some level.

The decision to foolishly stick with Smith has an altogether different motivation. Ryan took full ownership of the decision to start and eventually bench Sanchez two years ago. This time, he has hidden behind vague explanations that raise questions about general manager John Idzik’s role regarding which player takes the snaps under center.

Ryan called the choice to stay with Smith after the loss to Detroit “an organizational decision,” fueling the perception that he’s either placating Idzik, who drafted the quarterback in the second round, or simply taking direct orders from the guy who has control over the makeup of the roster.

jets-practice.jpgROBERT SABO/NEW YORK DAILY NEWSRex Ryan should have made the move to Michael Vick already, but he didn't, so he shouldn't bother doing it now as the Jets are counting down the week to mathematical elimination.

Smith hasn’t made Ryan look good in the past two weeks.

The second-year quarterback missed a mandatory team meeting the night before getting benched at halftime with a 7.6 QB rating of a shutout loss to the Chargers two weeks ago. Smith committed a turnover for the sixth consecutive game in a loss to the Broncos last Sunday. He has completed 49% of his passes with two interceptions, including a pick-six, since losing to the Lions.

Ryan insisted after the debacle in San Diego that the team is not prioritizing Smith’s development over winning now, but his actions suggest otherwise. He brought in Vick for the second half against the Chargers, but it was way too late. “If not then,” Ryan said, “then when?”

Ryan finally has a viable backup quarterback, but blew a perfect opportunity to prepare Vick to start a critical three-game stretch that could have helped save his job.

Vick is no longer Superman, but Ryan should have tried to pull some magic out of the veteran. Sticking with Smith, who is languishing at or near the bottom of nearly every meaningful statistical category, was foolish. Smith was his predictably unreliable self against the Chargers and Broncos.

The “organizational decision” backfired. The Patriots have won two in a row to grab sole possession of first place in the division. Smith, who suggested this week that the media “miscommunicated” and “misprinted” things about his rocky season, looks as overmatched as ever.

It would make little sense to turn to Vick if the Jets lose in Foxborough. The season would be lost by Friday morning.

Vick’s time came and went. The Jets failed everyone by not giving him a real chance to help.

I'm no Rex supporter, believe me, but from what we've seen from Michael Vick so far it definitely appears that Geno Smith gives us the best opportunity to win. Vick looked like crap both mentally and physically, no reason to believe our record would be any different with him at the helm.

SAR I

I'm no Rex supporter, believe me, but from what we've seen from Michael Vick so far it definitely appears that Geno Smith gives us the best opportunity to win. Vick looked like crap both mentally and physically, no reason to believe our record would be any different with him at the helm.

SAR I

Can you please explain the whole "SAR I" thing at the bottom of all your posts?    It's a message board so by definition we know who made each post.   There used to be another poster who did the same thing but he didn't last long enough for me to ask him.   

Can you please explain the whole "SAR I" thing at the bottom of all your posts?    It's a message board so by definition we know who made each post.   There used to be another poster who did the same thing but he didn't last long enough for me to ask him.

I've been posting in discussion forums since 1994 and in the old days you had to sign your own posts as there weren't fancy signature functions.

SAR I

Is there any point to even discussing this anymore? Rex is a goner and both guys are horrible. None of them are going to be here next year. They are inconsequential.

As much as I wish you were correct, history says otherwise.

Idzik is likely orchestrating the most profitable year in team history. Mr. Johnson will like that.

Ryan is playing the sad clown quite convincingly and taking all the blame on himself. Mr. Johnson will like that.

Ignorant and gullible Jets fans march behind the Pied Piper year after year and believe what they are fed. Mr. Johnson knows this.

Those of us with a head on our shoulders knew going in that this was Year 2 of a four year rebuild and that last year's 8-8 was an abberation. When the dust settles and we end the year on a 4-0 streak, it's a repeat of last season. Rex sells tickets, Idzik mints money, they'll grab a flashy QB in free agency or the draft, tickets get sold, we move on with the same two idiots calling the shots.

SAR I

As much as I wish you were correct, history says otherwise.

Idzik is likely orchestrating the most profitable year in team history. Mr. Johnson will like that.

Ryan is playing the sad clown quite convincingly and taking all the blame on himself. Mr. Johnson will like that.

Ignorant and gullible Jets fans march behind the Pied Piper year after year and believe what they are fed. Mr. Johnson knows this.

Those of us with a head on our shoulders knew going in that this was Year 2 of a four year rebuild and that last year's 8-8 was an abberation. When the dust settles and we end the year on a 4-0 streak, it's a repeat of last season. Rex sells tickets, Idzik mints money, they'll grab a flashy QB in free agency or the draft, tickets get sold, we move on with the same two idiots calling the shots.

SAR I

i think this is a real possibility as well sar, anyone who thinks woody is upset that we are 21 million under the cap is not paying attention, Idzik was hired to fix the payroll as first priority woody could care less about 4th rounders who got cut right now..unfortunately Rex being gone is not a done deal yet...this may be foreign to Yankee fans but inept ownership who's first priority is not winning is old news to mets -islanders fans like me.

SAR I

This.

Vick contract was a mistake. No new QB prospect a mistake. Keeping Geno in is just an unfortunate reality.

Offensive line and WRs all look like sh*t, who cares which QB we use? Articles like this are written for dullards who need to be told what to think, because they don't know what they ate watching on Sundays.

Archived