Potential QB Replacements - 2015 Draft

Latinlawyer

Ranking the nation’s best quarterbacks after Week 7.

1. Marcus Mariota, Oregon. Mariota accounted for 285 yards and four touchdowns in a 42-30 win over UCLA, a refreshingly businesslike stat line compared with the much heavier burden he carried the previous two weeks. More important, given the chaotic state of Oregon’s offensive line: He wasn’t sacked. (Last week: 1)

2. Dak Prescott, Mississippi State. You know you’re good when your two interceptions go down as mere footnotes on the same weekend you become the face of the no. 1 team in the nation. (LW: 2)

3. Jameis Winston, Florida State. Football seems to be the last thing anyone wants to talk about regarding the reigning Heisman winner — understandably so — but this weekend’s blockbuster visit from Notre Dame is another chance for Winston to remind everyone (particularly NFL scouts) that he’s still very, very good at football. (LW: 3)

4. Bryce Petty, Baylor. Petty completed just 28 of 55 attempts against TCU (50.9 percent), but when he hit, he hit big: All six of his touchdown passes in a 61-58 victory came from at least 25 yards out. (LW: 4)

5. Bo Wallace, Ole Miss. I get the feeling Rebels fans who’ve watched Wallace for the past two years are still waiting for the other shoe to drop, but “Bad Bo” seems to have left the building: Wallace has yet to throw an interception in three SEC games and ranks sixth nationally in pass efficiency. (LW: 8)

6. Everett Golson, Notre Dame. Golson continues to offset bad plays (three turnovers versus North Carolina) with good ones (three touchdown passes versus the Heels), but the scales need to tip heavily in favor of the latter in Tallahassee. (LW: 10)

7. Nick Marshall, Auburn. Marshall was perfectly decent in Saturday’s loss at Mississippi State, but Auburn’s option-oriented offense isn’t designed for him to attempt 35 passes. The Tigers badly miss 2013 Heisman finalist Tre Mason in the backfield. (LW: 5)

8. Brett Hundley, UCLA. Hundley continues to look better on paper than in person, boasting the nation’s best completion percentage and fourth-best efficiency rating against FBS opponents. As with Hill against Ole Miss, though, most of Hundley’s production in UCLA’s loss to Oregon came long after the game had been decided. (LW: 7)

9. Blake Sims, Alabama. Much of the blame for Bama’s offensive lull has fallen on the backup center Bradley Bozeman, who’s filled in the last two weeks for injured starter Ryan Kelly. But is the center really to blame for Amari Cooper catching only two passes for 22 yards against Arkansas? (LW: 9)

10. J.T. Barrett, Ohio State. Barrett didn’t play Saturday (Ohio State had a bye), and his Week 2 performance against Virginia Tech still stands out as a giant red flag. But ranking second in the nation in pass efficiency at midseason is ranking second in the nation in pass efficiency at midseason. (LW: NR)

Honorary Mention: Shane Carden (East Carolina), Jared Goff (California), Kenny Hill (Texas A&M), Cody Kessler (USC), Anu Solomon (Arizona)

What Qb on this list (or not) do you think the Jets should draft?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hundley really and truly sucks ass.  He has not improved one iota on his reads or mechanics.  He is a disaster waiting to happen for the team stupid enough to draft him in the first couple of rounds.  Anyone touting him as an NFL QB is obviously looking from afar with only limited vision in their good eye.  Better suited as a janitor than pro QB.

Hundley really and truly sucks ass.  He has not improved one iota on his reads or mechanics.  He is a disaster waiting to happen for the team stupid enough to draft him in the first couple of rounds.  Anyone touting him as an NFL QB is obviously looking from afar with only limited vision in their good eye.  Better suited as a janitor than pro QB.

You can't draft Hundley or Winston at this point. You can only draft Mariota if you have a QB wizard on your staff. 

Have any of you seen Boykin play from TCU?  He is an elite athlete kind of like Mariota but a little faster and has a better arm.  He is a Junior this year and I don't think he will be coming out but he could be a star next year and if TCU plays well the rest of the way he might be a name you start hearing more about.

1. Marcus Mariota, Oregon. Mariota accounted for 285 yards and four touchdowns in a 42-30 win over UCLA, a refreshingly businesslike stat line compared with the much heavier burden he carried the previous two weeks. More important, given the chaotic state of Oregon’s offensive line: He wasn’t sacked. (Last week: 1)

2. Dak Prescott, Mississippi State. You know you’re good when your two interceptions go down as mere footnotes on the same weekend you become the face of the no. 1 team in the nation. (LW: 2)

3. Jameis Winston, Florida State. Football seems to be the last thing anyone wants to talk about regarding the reigning Heisman winner — understandably so — but this weekend’s blockbuster visit from Notre Dame is another chance for Winston to remind everyone (particularly NFL scouts) that he’s still very, very good at football. (LW: 3)

4. Bryce Petty, Baylor. Petty completed just 28 of 55 attempts against TCU (50.9 percent), but when he hit, he hit big: All six of his touchdown passes in a 61-58 victory came from at least 25 yards out. (LW: 4)

5. Bo Wallace, Ole Miss. I get the feeling Rebels fans who’ve watched Wallace for the past two years are still waiting for the other shoe to drop, but “Bad Bo” seems to have left the building: Wallace has yet to throw an interception in three SEC games and ranks sixth nationally in pass efficiency. (LW: 8)

6. Everett Golson, Notre Dame. Golson continues to offset bad plays (three turnovers versus North Carolina) with good ones (three touchdown passes versus the Heels), but the scales need to tip heavily in favor of the latter in Tallahassee. (LW: 10)

7. Nick Marshall, Auburn. Marshall was perfectly decent in Saturday’s loss at Mississippi State, but Auburn’s option-oriented offense isn’t designed for him to attempt 35 passes. The Tigers badly miss 2013 Heisman finalist Tre Mason in the backfield. (LW: 5)

8. Brett Hundley, UCLA. Hundley continues to look better on paper than in person, boasting the nation’s best completion percentage and fourth-best efficiency rating against FBS opponents. As with Hill against Ole Miss, though, most of Hundley’s production in UCLA’s loss to Oregon came long after the game had been decided. (LW: 7)

9. Blake Sims, Alabama. Much of the blame for Bama’s offensive lull has fallen on the backup center Bradley Bozeman, who’s filled in the last two weeks for injured starter Ryan Kelly. But is the center really to blame for Amari Cooper catching only two passes for 22 yards against Arkansas? (LW: 9)

10. J.T. Barrett, Ohio State. Barrett didn’t play Saturday (Ohio State had a bye), and his Week 2 performance against Virginia Tech still stands out as a giant red flag. But ranking second in the nation in pass efficiency at midseason is ranking second in the nation in pass efficiency at midseason. (LW: NR)

Honorary Mention: Shane Carden (East Carolina), Jared Goff (California), Kenny Hill (Texas A&M), Cody Kessler (USC), Anu Solomon (Arizona)

there really isn't anyone on the list to get excited about.  

what about the kid from Michigan State?    any mid-major QB's out there?  

If Geno can build on last night and continue to use his legs and limit the turnovers we should be looking at WR not QB.  Not saying I'm going all in with Geno but I'm not writing him off yet.  No one's talking about the drive at the end of the game but I thought Geno did a nice job with no timeouts to at least give Folk a chance.  He showed a lot of poise and made some nice passes.  Get another received to compliment Decker and maybe we have something.

If Geno can build on last night and continue to use his legs and limit the turnovers we should be looking at WR not QB.  Not saying I'm going all in with Geno but I'm not writing him off yet.  No one's talking about the drive at the end of the game but I thought Geno did a nice job with no timeouts to at least give Folk a chance.  He showed a lot of poise and made some nice passes.  Get another received to compliment Decker and maybe we have something.

He looked good last night.  Everyone writing him off is for whatever reason ignoring the fact that he hasn't had much time to throw this year and when he does his receivers aren't getting open.  He needs to improve but isn't nearly as bad as Jet fans would lead you to believe.

Geno is a tease. We need a QB...Period!

Sorry to hear that.  Have you seen him play much Monster?  I've only seen him once this year, think it was against Ari St.  And only part of the game, was in a restaurant with my wife.  Thought he looked great.

I'll have to watch a few of his games.  Why do you think he sucks so much?  

Sorry to hear that.  Have you seen him play much Monster?  I've only seen him once this year, think it was against Ari St.  And only part of the game, was in a restaurant with my wife.  Thought he looked great.

I'll have to watch a few of his games.  Why do you think he sucks so much?  

Accuracy is all over the place. Makes bone head decisions. Not sold on him at all. I think the comparison to EJ Manuel is a nice one.

He looked good last night.  Everyone writing him off is for whatever reason ignoring the fact that he hasn't had much time to throw this year and when he does his receivers aren't getting open.  He needs to improve but isn't nearly as bad as Jet fans would lead you to believe.

Really? Really dude? Again you're gonna do this?

Your missing Mannion, Oregon St. Cook, Mich St. And the kid from Wash St. Forget his name off the top of my head. Edit name is Connor Halliday.

Carden has "it" and is extremely, extremely intelligent -- actually had a academic scholarship offer from Harvard.  Attended ECU as they were the only option for football after UH passed on him.  That said, intelligence certainly isn't a good indicator of success, but Shane has the tools to be successful.  The big drawback with him is the system he's in, not sure he'd translate in year one and as such don't think he'd fit here.

And I'm not sure I want our wretched franchise to ruin him, tbh.

The rest of the guys on that list all seem to have major issues to me.  Some there have to be concern about the system they are in, others just can't get out of their own way (Winston), and then a guy like Golson...do we really want another turnover machine in here?  

Accuracy is all over the place. Makes bone head decisions. Not sold on him at all. I think the comparison to EJ Manuel is a nice one.

Guys got like a 72% completion %.  Like I said I've only seen him once.  Smith's #'s looked real good until I watched him 3-4 times at the end of the season and realized he sucked.

Oh well, I was hoping he could be a sleeper.  Don't think the Jets will have a chance for Winston, or the Duck, figure they will win 5-6 games and put them in nowhereville for a QB.

Just can't watch Smith for another year

I'd much rather draft a WR.  I don't agree that Geno is even mediocre but the I'd make the point that our WR group is still the worst in the league even with Decker.  Maybe Amaro will develop an ability to catch wide open passes at his chest but even then we need another WR or two.

Exactly, this offseason should be about getting another WR, starting to rebuild the o-line and obviously get real CB's. Drafting another rookie QB with this supporting cast is a waste.

I see that UCLA plays Cal on ESPN2 at 3:30  and FSU plays The Irish at 8 on ABC, so I guess I know what I'll be doing Saturday.

Can't believe I'm in draft mode before Halloween,   Don't usually get there until Thanksgiving.

God I hate this team

I know everyone will talk about his maturity, but I think Winston could be a good pick up since he is not expected to go in top ten as of right now.

I'll be stunned if he gets out of the top 5, off field crap or not.  Doesn't matter, even if he's on the board when they Jets pick they'll pass on him for a squeaky clean guy who can't play

Who would Mariota throw it to?

Untitled-1.0.gif

Untitled-2.0.gif

Untitled-5.0.gif

How about opening up the pocjet book, and sign Randall Cobb, draft a a 2nd round WR, or better yet, trade back into the first round to get a difference maker.

So Mariotta throwing to Decker, Kerley, Cobb, Amaro, and drafted WR. Pretty sure that's more than enough for any QB. Now the O-line that's a different animal, hopefully Aboushi, and Dozier turn out to be good, and then we will just have to replace Dbrick, and live with Mangold for another year, or two until we draft, and develop his replacement.

I'm going to sound like a broken record after all of these comments, but I think Marcus Mariota QB Oregon is by far the best quarterback in this class.  He is the real deal.  He was smart to stay in school for another year, and the Jets could possibly be in a prime position to select him.  However, I'm not a fan of trading up in drafts, but Mariota may be worth it.

He is the real deal, and he can resurrect our franchise.

Archived