Potential Coach Replacements for Rex Ryan

EvanC

I wanted to believe that Rex Ryan could work some magic and find the Jets a spot in the playoffs.  The players seemed to collectively want Rex Ryan to return after last season, so he wasn't fired.  But after the start to this season, it may be fair to assume that the playoffs are becoming out of reach, and Rex Ryan's time with the Jets is coming to a close.

Time to start looking into some replacement coaches. Someone more offensively based and quarterback friendly is a requirement.

One person to look into could be David Shaw, coach of Stanford football.  He was a former quarterbacks coach for a few teams in the NFL. 

That's just one name I'm throwing out there.

David Shaw makes 3 million dollars a year at Stanford. Rex makes 3 million dollars a year as coach of the Jets.

To woo Shaw, the team would have to promise him a substantial raise (probably in the 5-6 mil per year range), and buy out Rex's remaining 3 mil for 2015.

That's potentially 8-10 mil spent on just head coaches in just one year. 

Doesn't sound like Woody. 

BTW you can do this exercise with almost any college coach worth hiring. There are 25 college head coaches who make more money than Rex right now. 

David Shaw makes 3 million dollars a year at Stanford. Rex makes 3 million dollars a year as coach of the Jets.

To woo Shaw, the team would have to promise him a substantial raise (probably in the 5-6 mil per year range), and buy out Rex's remaining 3 mil for 2015.

BTW you can do this exercise with almost any college coach worth hiring. There are 25 college head coaches who make more money than Rex right now. 

So should Rex be let go who do you feel are legitimate candidates for the job?  And do you think they're any good?

Man, it's almost as if Rex had any options, he'd be advised to quit.

My only takeaway from this that the Jets got what they paid for.

I feel bad for the poor guy who replaces Rex. He is going to be a hated, hated guy. They almost ought to hire someone as a sacrificial lamb for like 3 months, have him be incredibly dumb, and then fire him and replace him with the guy they really want to hire.

I feel bad for the poor guy who replaces Rex. He is going to be a hated, hated guy. They almost ought to hire someone as a sacrificial lamb for like 3 months, have him be incredibly dumb, and then fire him and replace him with the guy they really want to hire.

I thought that was the whole point of Rex 2.0

since it was asked, I like Malzahn out of Auburn to run a Chip Kelly type offense. I like Harbaugh obviously. I don't think the team will get either of those guys or Bevell actually. The Seahawks are primed for another SB run which means he couldn't start until mid Feb. 

If Rex gets fired the hire will be someone none of us have heard of. And he will be cheap. That's my prediction. 

since it was asked, I like Malzahn out of Auburn to run a Chip Kelly type offense. I like Harbaugh obviously. I don't think the team will get either of those guys or Bevell actually. The Seahawks are primed for another SB run which means he couldn't start until mid Feb. 

If Rex gets fired the hire will be someone none of us have heard of. And he will be cheap. That's my prediction. 

Bit that is depressing. It sounds like another Mangini type hiring...ugh.

Archived