From the outhouse to the penthouse? (WR corp rankings)

Gastineau Lives

Just looking at the league, with the addition of Harvin, if he's healthy (he should legally change his name to this), between Decker, Kerley and Harvin, we might have one of the top ten to twelve WR corps in football.

And that just might get the box un-stacked a little to give us some more nights like last night with all 3 RB's contributing and accounting for yards of substance.  

I don't know if it's top 10 quite yet, because Harvin is better suited as the slot guy than a clear No. 2, because of his size.  I think that was part of the problem with the Seahawks as well, because they needed him to be a No. 1 type guy that took away the other team's best cornerbacks and still won.   When defenses faced Seattle, they took Harvin away, and then focused in on the run, which is why that teams spreads the ball around to a whole lot of WRs because they are taking what the other team is giving them.  They know that defenses can't consistently cover Harvin, their running game, and Wilson's scrambling ability without leaving the other WRs one on one.  And Seattle with their team philosophy has everyone buy into the next man up theory, so they can go and take what the defense will give them.  And this should be the reason Harvin was unhappy, because they weren't going to force the ball to him.   And also, their running game hasn't been that good this year, so teams aren't as preoccupied with the run.  They have been lethal when Wilson has run the ball, but Lynch hasn't been the same.  

In theory, with the Jets, Decker should provide help that he didn't have with Seattle in that teams sort of have to pick their poison.  Decker is a great route runner, so him one on one is a mismatch, as he ran a few good routes against even Revis.  

I'm not however sold on Kerley this year, he just hasn't been the same.  He should've improved by having Decker on the team, and he has regressed if anything.  Part of that could be the lack of a deep threat, we didn't have one speed demon this year that was going to cause a problem over the top, which pulls the safeties up and allows players defending Kerley to play the underneath routes with less risk.   The lack of speed meant that the safeties would essentially be the safety valve if Kerley pulls a double move, and goes upfield.  Last year, having Stephen Hill just run sprints out there atleast kept the safety preoccupied because on straight line speed alone, he could beat his guy (not that it helped him catch anything), so they would play a little deeper.  Now Harvin could change that ofcourse.  

I think what sets us up is the possible moves we can make next year, especially if we improve our standard of play this year to be somewhat good.  We can then add another WR as the No. 2, either via the draft or free agency, and hope to get Harvin to restructure his deal for a bit more guaranteed money albeit at a reduced rate.  With his injury history, you figure he has to take it.   Then we'll have one of the top WR crops in the game.   

I don't know if it's top 10 quite yet, because Harvin is better suited as the slot guy than a clear No. 2, because of his size.  I think that was part of the problem with the Seahawks as well, because they needed him to be a No. 1 type guy that took away the other team's best cornerbacks and still won.   When defenses faced Seattle, they took Harvin away, and then focused in on the run, which is why that teams spreads the ball around to a whole lot of WRs because they are taking what the other team is giving them.  They know that defenses can't consistently cover Harvin, their running game, and Wilson's scrambling ability without leaving the other WRs one on one.  And Seattle with their team philosophy has everyone buy into the next man up theory, so they can go and take what the defense will give them.  And this should be the reason Harvin was unhappy, because they weren't going to force the ball to him.   And also, their running game hasn't been that good this year, so teams aren't as preoccupied with the run.  They have been lethal when Wilson has run the ball, but Lynch hasn't been the same.  

In theory, with the Jets, Decker should provide help that he didn't have with Seattle in that teams sort of have to pick their poison.  Decker is a great route runner, so him one on one is a mismatch, as he ran a few good routes against even Revis.  

I'm not however sold on Kerley this year, he just hasn't been the same.  He should've improved by having Decker on the team, and he has regressed if anything.  Part of that could be the lack of a deep threat, we didn't have one speed demon this year that was going to cause a problem over the top, which pulls the safeties up and allows players defending Kerley to play the underneath routes with less risk.   The lack of speed meant that the safeties would essentially be the safety valve if Kerley pulls a double move, and goes upfield.  Last year, having Stephen Hill just run sprints out there atleast kept the safety preoccupied because on straight line speed alone, he could beat his guy (not that it helped him catch anything), so they would play a little deeper.  Now Harvin could change that ofcourse.  

I think what sets us up is the possible moves we can make next year, especially if we improve our standard of play this year to be somewhat good.  We can then add another WR as the No. 2, either via the draft or free agency, and hope to get Harvin to restructure his deal for a bit more guaranteed money albeit at a reduced rate.  With his injury history, you figure he has to take it.   Then we'll have one of the top WR crops in the game.   

Some really nice points.

Only difference i have is if the JETS decide to keep Harvin I would rather the JETS restructure in such a way that his per year drops and he is kept on a very tight leash where JETS can walk away with ZERO or miniscule damage. I think they have a lot of leverage in these negotiations.

Excellent post. Pretty much how I feel too. With Decker, Percy won't be consistently facing double teams with the safety covering the go route or the double move. If teams do double on Percy, then Decker can even beat the best of the CBs in Revis. He proved it last night with some excellent routes on Revis. Keep in mind, Decker isn't 100%. I was thinking about this last night about how good he would be if only he had another WR opposite him who is an actual NFL WR while he's 100%. I doubt we see alot of action from Percy this year besides taking care of the stacked box and taking a safety out of the plays, but the real beneficiary would be Decker. His stock goes way up with this trade IMO and its probably time to trade for Decker in my fantasy league!

Just looking at the league, with the addition of Harvin, if he's healthy (he should legally change his name to this), between Decker, Kerley and Harvin, we might have one of the top ten to twelve WR corps in football.

Quite a change. Wish it had come sooner, though.

they probably just made whim available.

I was talking about this last night as well, it is definitely a pretty good combo, and now with a very good running back combo, the offense is out of excuses.

With the remaining 9 games being very winnable, this offense is going to have to show something.

One of the reasons that I really like this move is it gives us a 9 game look at Geno with an adequate group of WRs.  We really need to know if Geno can be the guy next year -- now with Decker, Harvin and Kerley he has some weapons and needs to step up and play at a different level.  Quickest way to a rebuild is if Geno can prove he is a starting caliber NFL QB.  IF he does, with one solid offseason, we have a chance to contend next season.  If not, we have the cap space and likely draft position to find a QB in the offseason and put him in a position to succeed.

On the other hand, Harvin's injury risk scares me especially considering the way this past season has gone with guys with injury risks.

Overall, I like the deal if all we end up giving up is a 4.  Don't like it given the risk if we wind up losing a 2.

One of the reasons that I really like this move is it gives us a 9 game look at Geno with an adequate group of WRs. We really need to know if Geno can be the guy next year -- now with Decker, Harvin and Kerley he has some weapons and needs to step up and play at a different level. Quickest way to a rebuild is if Geno can prove he is a starting caliber NFL QB. IF he does, with one solid offseason, we have a chance to contend next season. If not, we have the cap space and likely draft position to find a QB in the offseason and put him in a position to succeed.

On the other hand, Harvin's injury risk scares me especially considering the way this past season has gone with guys with injury risks.

Overall, I like the deal if all we end up giving up is a 4. Don't like it given the risk if we wind up losing a 2.

The positives:

1. Harvin will get all the passes thrown to him that he can handle, mostly by default.

2. Zero pressure on him or the team. None.

3. Might be one of those guys who sees value in being in the big city, hanging with Jay Z, etc, and will make an effort to stay. Playing in Gainesville, then Minnesota, then Seattle may have just bored him into psychosis.

4. If he flakes, it's not a big deal. He won't produce, so he'll end up costing a 4th, and he'll be gone.

5. Awesome value as a returner.

Negatives:

1. If Geno is at all susceptible to in-huddle criticism, Harvin could steamroll him. Harvin, apparently, has always hated his QB, no matter how successful.

2. If Jalen Saunders wasn't such a putrid draft pick, they wouldn't have traded for Harvin.

3. The reality is, Harvin is a dyed-in-the-wool nutbag who will need constant TLC. It would be nice if the light went on for him, but that's hoping against hope.

I was talking about this last night as well, it is definitely a pretty good combo, and now with a very good running back combo, the offense is out of excuses.

With the remaining 9 games being very winnable, this offense is going to have to show something.

Aside from the obvious tough game (New England), I think @KC and vs Pitt are going to be very difficult games to win.  KC has a very good home crowd and we never beat Pitt.  Also, all of our remaining opponents have a better record than us.  I'm sure they're looking at the Jets as a "winnable game".

8 10/26 vs. Buf 1:00 PM ET 3-3 9 11/2 @ KC 1:00 PM ET 2-3 10 11/9 vs. Pit 1:00 PM ET 3-3 11 Bye Week 12 11/23 @ Buf 1:00 PM ET 3-3 13 12/1 vs. Mia 8:30 PM ET 2-3 14 12/7 @ Min 1:00 PM ET 2-4 15 12/14 @ Ten 4:05 PM ET 2-4 16 12/21 vs. NE 1:00 PM ET 5-2 17 12/28 @ Mia 1:00 PM ET 2-3

Some really nice points.

Only difference i have is if the JETS decide to keep Harvin I would rather the JETS restructure in such a way that his per year drops and he is kept on a very tight leash where JETS can walk away with ZERO or miniscule damage. I think they have a lot of leverage in these negotiations.

Thanks, I really do think he would be willing to restructure into more guaranteed money at a lower rate because of his injuries and concussion history.  He's probably another major injury away from being a player deemed too risky with health and personality.  Something like a prove it 2 year deal where he's still young enough to get another mega deal if he proves to be a stud.  This could also be the reason why he was unhappy that Seattle wasn't going to force the ball towards him, because it was clear they were going to move on from him and he wasn't getting the 10 million next year, and without stats, he wasn't going to get it elsewhere as well.  

Excellent post. Pretty much how I feel too. With Decker, Percy won't be consistently facing double teams with the safety covering the go route or the double move. If teams do double on Percy, then Decker can even beat the best of the CBs in Revis. He proved it last night with some excellent routes on Revis. Keep in mind, Decker isn't 100%. I was thinking about this last night about how good he would be if only he had another WR opposite him who is an actual NFL WR while he's 100%. I doubt we see alot of action from Percy this year besides taking care of the stacked box and taking a safety out of the plays, but the real beneficiary would be Decker. His stock goes way up with this trade IMO and its probably time to trade for Decker in my fantasy league!

Yeah, Decker is just magnificent at route running.  I know Revis isn't the Revis of old, but he really was getting separation on him last night, and should've had one more catch or PI call as well.  He was the one guy I was really hoping would influence Stephen Hill because Decker just sets everything up in his routes almost perfectly to gain separation.  This could also be the case with really good WRs, but after seeing years of Santonio run the same slant route, Hill run the same go route, and Kerley run the same crossing route, it's just a breath of fresh air to see someone be able to get open without the CB falling down.  

Chicago, Detroit, Green Bay, Dallas, Philadelphia, Washington, San Fran, Arizona, Tampa Bay, Atlanta.

That's ten. And just from the NFC.

Besides for Denver and Cincinatti, probably the best in the AFC. And overall they're better than the Bengals. Just Green is so good, it pushes them past us

Besides for Denver and Cincinatti, probably the best in the AFC. And overall they're better than the Bengals. Just Green is so good, it pushes them past us

I'd take San Diego receivers over the Jets. I'd take the Colts over the Jets. Baltimore is just as good, if not better. Steelers are about even.

Archived