Jets cut David Nelson to make room for Percy Harvin

F.Chowds

Jets cut David Nelson to make room for Percy Harvin

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 18, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT
4972c96730dd0d66a5dc067c24b9bad1.jpeg?w=Getty Images

For the Jets, receiver Percy Harvin is on the way in and receiver David Nelson is on the way out.

Nelson is the player who will be released to make room on the 53-man roster for Harvin, according to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. The Seahawks and Jets haven’t made the Harvin trade official yet, but as soon as the deal is officially done, Nelson will be released.

Nelson is in his second season with the Jets. He started five games this year but has only eight catches for 65 yards and has fumbled twice. Obviously, on the field Harvin is an enormous upgrade over Nelson.

But Nelson has long had a reputation as a good locker room presence, hard worker and good teammate. If the stories about Harvin out of Minnesota and Seattle are true, the Jets’ locker room dynamics may change for the worse with Harvin replacing Nelson.

Harvin and Nelson were teammates at Florida, winning national championships together in 2006 and 2008.

But why cut a starting WR over jags like Owusu and gang.

Again Nelson was disappointing but still could get on the field as a WR in case of injury.

Another head scratcher.

Long term value maybe Nelson is a mediocre NFL WR dime a dozen type Owusu could be a lot better.

Jets cut David Nelson to make room for Percy

But Nelson has long had a reputation as a good locker room presence, hard worker and good teammate. If the stories about Harvin out of Minnesota and Seattle are true, the Jets’ locker room dynamics may change for the worse with Harvin replacing Nelson.

Harvin and Nelson were teammates at Florida, winning national championships together in 2006 and 2008.

Being a good locker room presence doesn't make you not suck on the field. Bring on Percy.

Again Nelson was disappointing but still could get on the field as a WR in case of injury.

Another head scratcher.

Nelson's been pretty awful this year, with the addition of Harvin would have been down to #4 on the depth chart at the very best, and to top it all off he is the only WR on the entire team who can't do anything on special teams (even Decker can, although the Jets will never have him out there).  While I would not have been slightly surprised if one of the other low end no-namers were sent packing, the truth is that Nelson was what he was, with no real upside and it would seem the Jets felt otherwise about those other guys.  If the Jets get desperate enough he'll still likely be sitting out there waiting for them.

I don't think Nelson was healthy at all this year. he was a completely different player last season.

Honestly, Max, I think his head is also elsewhere- Haiti with those kids.  Watching that video on Monday night versus the Bears, you could see his heart was not here anymore. That's when I realized why he's been nonexistent this year.

Another head scratcher.

Nelson isn't a starter on any other NFL team, and does nothing on specials. I have no idea what a guy like Owusu brings to the table (and maybe that's something they're still trying to figure out), but I'm kinda hoping Nelson was released with an eye towards promoting Enunwa sometime soon.

Nelson isn't a starter on any other NFL team, and does nothing on specials. I have no idea what a guy like Owusu brings to the table (and maybe that's something they're still trying to figure out), but I'm kinda hoping Nelson was released with an eye towards promoting Enunwa sometime soon.

I am all for the JETS giving Enunwa every opportunity they can. Now that all the clouds over him are gone i hope they have a strategy to develop him and see what he has got.

For me its a depth issue. I dunno what Owusu brings to the table. And lets even say both Owusu and Nelson have the same skill level. In that case I am still keeping Nelson on the roster because he knows the offense.

Nelson's been pretty awful this year, with the addition of Harvin would have been down to #4 on the depth chart at the very best, and to top it all off he is the only WR on the entire team who can't do anything on special teams (even Decker can, although the Jets will never have him out there).  While I would not have been slightly surprised if one of the other low end no-namers were sent packing, the truth is that Nelson was what he was, with no real upside and it would seem the Jets felt otherwise about those other guys.  If the Jets get desperate enough he'll still likely be sitting out there waiting for them.

He was disappointing. I dunno how the other returners specially KR's justify their paycheck when you acquire kick returner Prime on your team. I would still go for depth over a platoon of returners/WR's who may not know the offense.

I am not sure how the Nelson deal was structured. But one possible advantage could be getting rid of the higher paycheck.

This seems to be as good a place to put this as any...

The other side of conversation following the NE game is the concern that Brandon Browner was completely gassed right from the start of the game. Pats fans and media were talking about how he couldn't even get back to the huddle in a timely way, because he looked spent. They pointed out how the Jets barely targeted him, but if they had matched up even a half-decent WR against him, that WR would have burned Browner all day. 

Nelson couldn't get open. Not even against blatant weak-link like Browner presented yesterday. It's a mismatch that Geno and our offensive staff should have been able to exploit.

We gave up nothing for Harvin, and he gives us the ability to give Geno a true 1A / 1B if he gets on the field. This helps improve the evaluation of Geno, Rex and just about everything else involved in the offesne, tbh. 

Honestly, Max, I think his head is also elsewhere- Haiti with those kids.  Watching that video on Monday night versus the Bears, you could see his heart was not here anymore. That's when I realized why he's been nonexistent this year.

True!  Whatever it is, he is more talented than what we have seen from him this year.  Which is why I thought Salas would be cut.

You might well be right and if true, that speaks well for the man's character.

Even if Harvin is cut by season's end, I will consider it a positive trade if for nothing else than having the FO release Nelson. Great guy, just not very good at the football.

How many other WRs have 138 catches in 3 for two different teams and aren't good at football? He's just injured this yr. nowhere near 100% n that's why he's released.

How many other WRs have 138 catches in 3 for two different teams and aren't good at football? He's just injured this yr. nowhere near 100% n that's why he's released.

Okay literal lucy. He was cut because he's not good enough at football and unfortunately for him, that is a prerequisite for maintaining status on a professional football team.

Okay literal lucy. He was cut because he's not good enough at football and unfortunately for him, that is a prerequisite for maintaining status on a professional football team.

Well he was good enough for Jets to evaluate him last yr n hand out a 2yr extension. Maybe he forgot what football is after a solid half ur last yr. Or maybe he's just too injured to be of any value this yr. IDK, you decide if "he's not good enough at football".

Archived