Does anyone have the gut feeling that...

Shadetree

This was the root of my offseason angst (this year), that giving Rex this year leads to these conversations, again, and we end up beating the weak sisters at the end of the year--again--and we get to do it all over again next year. Again.

I don't think it's likely he comes back, but a strong finish could certainly make it a possibility.

I expect we're about to see a magnificent turn around.  As a result Rex will be retained.

No sense on commenting about Idzik as it's completely ludicrous to suggest he's getting fired after this year.

If the Jets have the exact opposite of a strong finish, if Percy Harvin is every bit of the locker room disaster being portrayed in some of these stories and the Jets tank it the rest of the year, a complete house-cleaning is also not completely out of the question.

At least this trade makes the rest of the season a little more interesting.

Yes I do , I've been saying it, whether you agree or disagree Rex should come back ( I think he should be gone btw) I think the writing on the wall is starting to say he is coming back, and we're going to win a few games here coming up which will give the media more ammunition to push woody into keeping him.

Agreed. I think Rex is the worst thing to happen to this franchise in a looooong time, but the beat writers and NY sports media types love him to death and are lobbying hard for him to be retained, and we all know about the man-crush Woody has on him. I think retaining him would be a decision of monumental stupidity that will set us back another year, but that doesn't mean I think it's far-fetched.

never underestimate the power of the paper bags.   4 years of no playoffs and an empty / paper bag filled stadium will seal Rex's fate.  

Idzik will get a chance to make his case to woody.   I think it comes down to how much Idzik is owed if he's fired and who Woody thinks he can get as a replacement.   Idzik has literally done nothing to earn a 3rd season.

There is that.Which got Kotite fired.

But this is Woody Johnson. And trying to figure out whatn this spoiled brat thiunks for day to day is really impossible.

It is not crazy to suggest Johnson insists(demands?)his good buddy Rex Ryan stays. And really it's not like Idzik's brilliance gives him any credibility nor say so.

This was the root of my offseason angst (this year), that giving Rex this year leads to these conversations, again, and we end up beating the weak sisters at the end of the year--again--and we get to do it all over again next year. Again.

A distinct possibilty. Nobody can put lipstick on a pig like Ryan.

Terry Bradway:  Senior Director of Scouting - Been with the Jets since 2001

Jeff Bauer:  Director, College Scouting- Been with the Jets since 2002.

Yeah, there's no common denominator at all for those failed Jets drafts.

How are they still employed? 

How do qquestions like this det onto an NFL forum? I hope you are being sarcastic?

1. Completely sarcastic. 

2. NFL forums are not exactly the intellectual high bar of the internet. I'd say it's more puzzling how your question found its way onto the forum, than mine.

...Rex and Idyzik both stay?

I'm starting to feel they'll BOTH survive. This 2014 season has been the most confusing season I've ever had as a fan.

...except for the bacon flavored Ritz, of course.

Yup, been thinking the same thing. If Rex is our coach next year I'm not sure how I can bring myself to watch this team. Not that it's ever been easy to watch the Jets, but the same simple mistakes and blunders happening over and over and over and over for 6 years. My gosh I don't know if I can take a 7th year.

I really believe Rex is incapable of being an elite head coach, but I don't hate him. He's accomplished some good things. He is also ultra competitive and driven to win. He's just not a CEO, he's a branch manager. I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just stating the obvious.

The other part of this discussion is why would Rex be retained? There's no way Idzik would want him. But he accepted this position with Rex attached. If Rex is our coach next year it's because Woody wants to keep one of the least expensive coaches in the NFL. It's proof positive that money is his only motivation. This guy is so filthy rich, and there is no salary cap regarding the coaching staff. We should have the highest paid head coach in the NFL period. Especially considering over 40 years of ineptitude.

We should be backing the money truck up to Saban, or Harbaugh or Gruden or even Holmgren. Those are the guys who can change the direction of a franchise, 3 of the 4 are unlikely to ever coach in this league again (by choice obviously) and this would show Woody actually cares about the product he puts on the field.

I have defended Woody for years when people say he doesn't care about winning. It's time for this guy to spend some money other than the cash that is required by the CBA.

One thing to remember for the everybody-gets-flushed crowd is the fact that when the decision is made, the games later in the season will tend to count more than the earlier games.  If the team does well in the last half+ of the season, that has to favor Rex.

Trading for Harvin at 1-6 is a curious move. I think it's an admission by the GM that he didn't do enough at the position in the offseason, and that it's as much about seeing what Geno can do with a competent WR corps, as what Rex can do with a fuller cupboard.

I think it's more of an admission that things didn't work out as he'd planned. No one drafts 3 WRs in a WR-deep draft and, even as rookies, expects under 10 offensive snaps combined from all 3 of them. He wanted 1 of his starters to be someone he drafted. He failed miserably on that front but at least he isn't compounding things by saying, "Nope, I'm not signing two expensive veteran WRs. Not on my watch."

I think this is really why he's ok with signing Harvin now but not Jackson or Sanders or Tate or (pick your favorite we didn't sign) back in March.

We also didn't try to leapfrog Detroit for Brandon Pettigrew (after they leapfrogged us). Not signing Pettigrew makes a little dent in the amount the Jets are paying Harvin. 

Chris Johnson + Michael Vick hurts more than Harvin's cap hit. At least Harvin has a chance at a longer future here. Neither of those other two do. And neither of them are producing either. At least on paper.  But every team in the league makes some bad expensive moves. Look how much Seattle paid Harvin. AND gave up 3 picks for him including a #1.

Keeping it close to the vest (too close, most say) is what allows the Jets to have this flexibility now and not have it burn the future. 

I think it's more of an admission that things didn't work out as he'd planned. No one drafts 3 WRs in a WR-deep draft and, even as rookies, expects under 10 offensive snaps combined from all 3 of them. He wanted 1 of his starters to be someone he drafted. He failed miserably on that front but at least he isn't compounding things by saying, "Nope, I'm not signing two expensive veteran WRs. Not on my watch."

I think this is really why he's ok with signing Harvin now but not Jackson or Sanders or Tate or (pick your favorite we didn't sign) back in March.

We also didn't try to leapfrog Detroit for Brandon Pettigrew (after they leapfrogged us). Not signing Pettigrew makes a little dent in the amount the Jets are paying Harvin. 

Chris Johnson + Michael Vick hurts more than Harvin's cap hit. At least Harvin has a chance at a longer future here. Neither of those other two do. And neither of them are producing either. At least on paper.  But every team in the league makes some bad expensive moves. Look how much Seattle paid Harvin. AND gave up 3 picks for him including a #1.

Keeping it close to the vest (too close, most say) is what allows the Jets to have this flexibility now and not have it burn the future.

At 1-2 or 1-3, may be. At 1-6 it's Marlon Brando upriver babbling about the horror, THE HORROR.

Archived