With Jets Up Next, Bills Ground Game Decimated by Injuries

flgreen

With Jets Next, Bills’ Ground Game Decimated By Injuries

C.J. Spiller, Fred Jackson Injured As Buffalo Faces Trip To MetLife

October 20, 2014 10:17 AM

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) – The Buffalo Bills had little choice but to try a pass from the 2-yard line with 1 second left in the game.

Their top two running backs had been carted off the field in the first half.

Fred Jackson and C.J. Spiller were injured 10 minutes apart during Buffalo’s 17-16 win over the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday, with Spiller sustaining an upper body injury and Jackson a groin pull.

Spiller was carted off in tears and will reportedly have surgery to repair a broken collarbone on Monday.

On WGR-AM in Buffalo on Monday, Jackson said he won’t need surgery and will “do everything I can to get back as soon as possible.”

Jackson was hurt while rushing up the middle for no gain on a third-and-1. He immediately grabbed the inside of his left leg as he was on the field and required help getting up. Then he had difficulty moving his legs while being helped to the sideline. As he was driven off the field, Jackson had his head in his hands.

Soon after, Spiller fell hard to the turf after being tripped from behind by Vikings safety Robert Blanton.

Spiller was in immediate pain as he rolled over on the left sideline. A towel was placed over Spiller’s head as he was carefully loaded onto the cart.

The Bills’ depleted backfield was down to running back Anthony Dixon and fullback Frank Summers. But they have one other running back on their roster, Bryce Brown, who has been inactive so far this season.

Buffalo will face the reeling New York Jets on Sunday at MetLife Stadium.

“Yeah, they’re out,” Bills head coach Doug Marrone said of his top two backs. “C.J. will be out for an undetermined amount of time. I think that’s out there already, from what they told me. We’re going to look at Fred. We really don’t have any timetable on that. We have Boobie (Dixon) and then, obviously, we have Bryce. It’s not like we have to go out on the street to get somebody to come in. I have no problem bringing up Bryce. We talked about him last week, which I hoped wasn’t a jinx.”

Also, Bills starting safety Aaron Williams did not return after aggravating a neck injury in the second half.

Normally i'd have buffalo at home as an automatic W but i'm not so sure.

Their defense is legit. 3-5 sacks a game, constantly create turnovers, get pressure on the QB, and they have some smart corners. Their defense is what ours was supposed to be.

Spiller being out really helps, one less Jet killer to worry about...but they still have a better QB; Orton throws almost 300 yards every single game (i'd give my left nut for a QB that could do that here) and they have some seriously good WRs.

they also won in Chicago, in Detroit. say what u want about luck, but at least they are getting results.

we're gonna have our work cut out for this one.

Who is gonna cover (or try to) Sammy Watkins? That's the bigger issue.

I thought the Bills were nuts trading up for Watkins.

He looks like a 3-year veteran out there already.

Catches everything near him, runs great routes and his footwork on the game winner yesterday was great.

He's going to be a pain the the a$$ for the Pats, Jets and Phins for years to come.

This was always the case, back to when the schedule first came out.  We were hoping to win 2-3 games in the first 7 and then 6-7 of the last 9, just how it dropped.  I still wouldn't be surprised to win 6 or 7 of the last 9 games, but unfortunately, we only won 1 of the first 7, instead of the 2-3 we needed to make the playoffs.  Same as last year, we're a 7-9 to 9-7 team, we just didn't get the breaks that we did a year ago.  Anyone hoping to pick in the top 5 is going to be rather upset, which means goodbye amari cooper, but maybe hello kevin white?  But probably Marcus Peters or PJ williams... le sigh

This was always the case, back to when the schedule first came out.  We were hoping to win 2-3 games in the first 7 and then 6-7 of the last 9, just how it dropped.  I still wouldn't be surprised to win 6 or 7 of the last 9 games, but unfortunately, we only won 1 of the first 7, instead of the 2-3 we needed to make the playoffs.  Same as last year, we're a 7-9 to 9-7 team, we just didn't get the breaks that we did a year ago.  Anyone hoping to pick in the top 5 is going to be rather upset, which means goodbye amari cooper, but maybe hello kevin white?  But probably Marcus Peters or PJ williams... le sigh

Cooper automatically going top 5 is a bit aggressive.

Cooper automatically going top 5 is a bit aggressive.

Probably is, but the point was more to emphasize how we won't be picking top 5, so as to curb any ideas of nabbing the elite talent.  I would not be surprised if we ended up winning 6  of the last 9 and picking somewhere in the teens, just seems kind of status quo.

Probably is, but the point was more to emphasize how we won't be picking top 5, so as to curb any ideas of nabbing the elite talent.  I would not be surprised if we ended up winning 6  of the last 9 and picking somewhere in the teens, just seems kind of status quo.

Yeah true. I couldnt even begin to say who's auto going top 5 this year though...

Yeah true. I couldnt even begin to say who's auto going top 5 this year though...

Same. I've been pretty busy, so I haven't watched as much college football this year as I have in the past. The one glaring thing that I've seen is outside of Winston and Mariota, I haven't seen a single QB I'd feel comfortable taking with a first round pick and no one who's really franchise-changing, although if Winston ever got his head on right, he could be that guy.  Who knows, I'll start following the draft more closely when we get to 8 losses.  Lots of WR talent again, it'd be nice to grab one prior to the 4th round.

I'm feeling strongly that we'll end up 6-10 (and, of course, picking outside of the seemingly obvious elite player range).

Archived