At 1-6, how does Rex survive?

Latinlawyer

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, for the 2nd year in a row, the Jets win some absolutely meaningless games in December, and that demonstrates Rex is a good HC and should stay?

in woodys head yes, that and it will save him money, worst case scenario but very possible

With the talent this defense has, its massively underperforming. 1 interception on the season? I mean come on...

Who was playing in the secondary for the Chiefs and Dolphins yesterday?

There really isn't any talent past the DLine, though. So I'm not sure who you expect to be getting picks. They have by far, bar none the worst starting corners in the leagues with 2 in the box safeties.

Davis is good I guess.

There really isn't any talent past the DLine, though. So I'm not sure who you expect to be getting picks. They have by far, bar none the worst starting corners in the leagues with 2 in the box safeties.

Davis is good I guess.

We're on pace to shatter the record for fewest turnovers forced in a season. That's coaching more than talent.

We're on pace to shatter the record for fewest turnovers forced in a season. That's coaching more than talent.

Look at what the Dallas Cowboys have done with a few street level free agents and some mid round draft picks. While their defense is not "elite" it is enough to win them games, play cohesively as a unit and force turnovers. 

The Jets meanwhile play like separate units that seemingl have no idea of responsibilities of each other

Look at what the Dallas Cowboys have done with a few street level free agents and some mid round draft picks. While their defense is not "elite" it is enough to win them games, play cohesively as a unit and force turnovers. 

The Jets meanwhile play like separate units that seemingl have no idea of responsibilities of each other

It seems like Rex wants all the credit winning with defense.

Hate to break it to most of you, but Rex has already survived.  He got the vote of confidence 2, maybe 3 weeks ago.  Thats why Idsuck was able to bring in someone like Harvin, knowing Rex can deal with him next year as well.  How you like them apples?

It seems like Rex wants all the credit winning with defense.

ive been saying this for years, IMO Rex would rather lose a game 6-3 than win it 41-40...I don't care if I sound crazy by saying it I'll go to my grave believing that.

Hate to break it to most of you, but Rex has already survived.  He got the vote of confidence 2, maybe 3 weeks ago.  Thats why Idsuck was able to bring in someone like Harvin, knowing Rex can deal with him next year as well.  How you like them apples?

Mid-season votes of confidence are  often the pre-cursor of doom

ive been saying this for years, IMO Rex would rather lose a game 6-3 than win it 41-40...I don't care if I sound crazy by saying it I'll go to my grave believing that.

Yup, I completely agree with this. I think this is the root of his problem. I think it actually stems back from the 85 Bears. The Ryan family has always felt slated that they did not get the real credit for that team, as the defense was dominating and the offense was really just decent. But the offense got most of the credit, and so did Ditka. I really think that this was Buddy's problem as a HC, and he has passed it on to Rex.

This. If there's one thing I've realized after 15 years of Herm, Mangini, and Rex, it's that the ability to prepare players and managing the little things during a game are by far the two most important qualities for a NFL coach. Rex might have been able to skate by ignoring the offense for so long if he was remotely competent at those two things. You don't need an offensive or defensive genius at the helm.

Maybe not, but I'd prefer it. Much in the way I'd prefer an expert talent evaluator at the GM position, rather than a guy who needs to 100% rely on the professionals below him to make a draft pick.

Rex has a lot of faults as a head coach, and maybe he has too many. I'll fully understand it if he gets fired this year. But he's also a guy who's put together some brilliant game plans and won some big games, big upsets, in the process. I think the truly great head coaches (not calling Rex a great head coach here) are a genius on at least one side of the ball. Bill Walsh, Hank Stram, Lombardi, Landry, and (begrudgingly) Belichick.

The idea behind guys like Edwards and Mangini is that they had those leadership and/or attention to details skills that they could run a team with strong coordinators under them. That's not a model I'm interested in. And Rex's seeming lack of attention to the offensive side of the ball may be too much of a problem for him.

I think Rex is far and away the best promoted head coach we've had - maybe since Walt Michaels. And this is where we're at. When Rex goes, I don't want to promote another guy. I'm not interested in one of Seattle's coordinators. I want a guy who's been successful at the head coach level at either the pro or college level. If that guy isn't a genius at one side of the ball or the other, that'll be fine, as long as he's already been a successful head man. I don't want to hire some underling whose top qualities are preparing players and managing little things during the game and hoping he grows into a head coach. Given the choice, I'd want the genius coordinator over that guy.

Maybe not, but I'd prefer it. Much in the way I'd prefer an expert talent evaluator at the GM position, rather than a guy who needs to 100% rely on the professionals below him to make a draft pick.

Rex has a lot of faults as a head coach, and maybe he has too many. I'll fully understand it if he gets fired this year. But he's also a guy who's put together some brilliant game plans and won some big games, big upsets, in the process. I think the truly great head coaches (not calling Rex a great head coach here) are a genius on at least one side of the ball. Bill Walsh, Hank Stram, Lombardi, Landry, and (begrudgingly) Belichick.

The idea behind guys like Edwards and Mangini is that they had those leadership and/or attention to details skills that they could run a team with strong coordinators under them. That's not a model I'm interested in. And Rex's seeming lack of attention to the offensive side of the ball may be too much of a problem for him.

I think Rex is far and away the best promoted head coach we've had - maybe since Walt Michaels. And this is where we're at. When Rex goes, I don't want to promote another guy. I'm not interested in one of Seattle's coordinators. I want a guy who's been successful at the head coach level at either the pro or college level. If that guy isn't a genius at one side of the ball or the other, that'll be fine, as long as he's already been a successful head man. I don't want to hire some underling whose top qualities are preparing players and managing little things during the game and hoping he grows into a head coach. Given the choice, I'd want the genius coordinator over that guy.

Dick LeBeau will be available.

In 1999 the Jets started the year 1-6 and finished strong at 8-8 missing the playoffs by one game. I dont see that happening again. Jets will win some games, but Rex is in trouble here. I think if Woody feels he is still the best option, he stays. Simple.

I really can't wait to see the reaction when Rex, Geno, and Idzik all return.  Gonna be awesome!

Unfortunately, I think this will be the reality. If Idzik is really as in love with Geno as it sounds like he is, he is betting his GM career on Geno.

I cannot imagine him brinigng in a new coaching staff in year 3, which would likely be his and Geno's last chance. That fails, he is done as GM. I think he will stick with the current regime for next year.

Unless this season is a 3-13 season, in which he may be gone too. But I find that highly unlikely given the incredibly soft schedule the rest of the way.

You used to program your VCR to record The Pat Sajak Show.

Funny I was talking to the lady friend the other night about the Pat Sajak abomination of a late night show..  she had no idea it existed - I wish I didn't either.

You know Sajak currently makes 12 mil a year and Vanna White makes 7-8 mil a year for pressing squares.  she doesn't even need to turn them anymore!

Meanwhile some people were in an uproar because Jeremy Kerley signed for half of what Vanna White makes. 

The only answer is this: because the owner is an idiot. There is no other answer.

Revis's replacement, Dee Milliner, has done nothing but advance his college trend of getting hurt, thereby hardening Idzik's standing as an underwhelming evaluator on draft day and summoning the knocks against him before Woody Johnson put him in charge.

Idzik had a history as a contract negotiator and salary-cap guy, not a chief personnel guy, which might explain why nobody interviewed him for a GM position before the Jets did, Seahawks included. None of this stopped Johnson from putting his franchise in the hands of an inexperienced candidate whose personality doesn't exactly match up with the marketplace. For those suffering Knicks fans old enough to recall, Idzik reminds of Scott Layden, a hopelessly overmatched executive who cowered under the media glare and preferred to hide behind tall buildings.

It wasn't much of a surprise this past week when Idzik let Ryan make a fool of himself by defending the GM's indefensible draft record. Ryan might deserve to get fired, but over the past two years he's been better at his job than Idzik has been at his.

In the end, fair or not, the GM will survive long enough to hire Rex's replacement. It would be nice if Idzik actually got that personnel call right. You know, it might even be a potential coup.

Funny I was talking to the lady friend the other night about the Pat Sajak abomination of a late night show..  she had no idea it existed - I wish I didn't either.

You know Sajak currently makes 12 mil a year and Vanna White makes 7-8 mil a year for pressing squares.  she doesn't even need to turn them anymore!

Meanwhile some people were in an uproar because Jeremy Kerley signed for half of what Vanna White makes. 

It has been said that Vanna White is a better "slot" receiver than Kerley, though.

Nice opening line though "hey how about that Pat Sajak?"....

Did it work? ;)

Archived