After benching, Coples to start vs. Bills

F.Chowds

Quinton Coples spent the beginning of Thursday’s loss to the Patriots in an unfamiliar place — the bench.

The Jets started Jason Babin at outside linebacker over Coples for the first time this season. Coples played just 33 percent of the Jets’ defensive snaps in the game. Coples said the decision was specific to that game and he is back starting this week against the Bills.

“For whatever reason, it was that game,” Coples said. “I’m back at my position. I’m back doing things. It was normal [at practice Monday].”

Jets coach Rex Ryan gave a convoluted answer about why Babin started over Coples, saying he wanted to show Patriots quarterback Tom Brady a 46 defense. But why would Babin be a better choice than Coples to play the 46 and why did Coples play so little when the Jets were not in the 46.

“We know we have good players,” Ryan said. “We play them all. And certainly, we played Coples as well. But again, we’ll play both those players.”

It seems like Ryan just does not want to say his 2012 first-round pick is not playing that well. Babin saw more time against the Broncos two weeks ago and then got the start against the Patriots. That seems like the Jets are unhappy with how Coples is playing.

“This room is filled with competition,” Coples said. “At the end of the day, your number can be called to step down and see if someone else can beat you out or whatever. You never know. You have to be ready to put your pride to the side and do whatever you can to help the team. They felt he was better at helping the team at that point.”

<heavy sigh>

Coples lack of performance has been disheartening for me. IMO, his lack of production was a pretty big part of us sucking.

With that said, I'm not sure if new coach would dump him? He's flashed enough for somebidy to get cocky enough to think they can save his career.

With all the talk about our weak DBs, people are over looking our seriously weak LB core. Bunch of gashes!!!

That was not a benching. Geno was benched in the Chargers game. This was just situational sh*t against teams that pass it down our throat. If only our coach would play the guys that are playing better and not show blind loyalty to his draft picks.

An alleged pass rusher they took at 18 who gets subbed out in passing situations. Awesome.

What target?

The fat one.  

Nobody is in love with Coples production or his switch to OLB.  I don't think he is as bad there as most, but adequate is not what you are looking for in top 20 picks.  IMO, this does not constitute a benching and on an every down basis we are probably better off with Coples than Babin or Barnes.  Those two are both NFL players but seem considerably worse against the run setting an edge.  

The thing that bothers me is they have 2 mid-low level prospects (IK & Reilly) on the team that, at 1-6, I would rather be watching get reps than two guys that are probably on their last contracts (Babin&Barnes).

Archived