Ex NFL ballboy reveals what he saw

Scott Dierking

Odd little article, troubling none the less.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/11/opinion/what-i-saw-as-an-nfl-ball-boy.html?ref=sports&_r=1

WITH each new arrest of a National Football League star, I’ve joined our collective finger-wagging at the league and its players, all while repressing a gnawing guilt: As a 17-year-old ball boy for the 2003 Chicago Bears, I helped players achieve heights of on-field violence so brutal that off-field aftershocks were all but inevitable.

Spend an extended period of time behind the N.F.L. curtain, as I did, see eerily subdued postgame locker rooms filled with vacant stares and hear anguished screams echoing from the training room, and you’ll understand how the physical and emotional toll these players endure is devastating enough to erode the morality of a good man or exacerbate the evils of a bad one.

This is not to say players who commit crimes deserve even a little exoneration. But what they and all N.F.L. players do deserve — and need — are improved resources to help them cope with the debilitating consequences of on-field ferocity.

I lay awake at night wondering how many lives were irreparably damaged by my most handy ball boy tool: smelling salts. On game days my pockets were always full of these tiny ammonia stimulants that, when sniffed, can trick a brain into a state of alertness. After almost every crowd-pleasing hit, a player would stagger off the field, steady himself the best he could, sometimes vomit a little, and tilt his head to the sky. Then, with eyes squeezed shut in pain, he’d scream “Eric!” and I’d dash over and say, “It’s O.K., I’m right here, got just what you need.”

A sniff of my salts would revive the player in alertness only, and he would run back onto the field to once again collide with opponents with the force of a high-speed car crash. As fans high-fived and hell-yeahed and checked the progress of their fantasy teams, and as I eagerly scrambled onto the field to pick up shattered fragments from exploded helmets, researchers were discovering the rotting black splotches of brain tissue that indicate chronic traumatic encephalopathy. Known as C.T.E., this degenerative disease is the result of players’ enduring head trauma again and again. Symptoms include dementia and extreme aggression, and C.T.E. is considered at least partly responsible for the string of recent suicides of former and current N.F.L. players, whose anger, sadness and violence eventually collapsed inward.

Cameramen know not to show players sniffing salts, and I participated in similar acts of cover-up. One of my jobs was sorting through postgame laundry. Cleaner uniforms would be set aside for football card companies to purchase for their line of “game-used inserts.” Dirty uniforms, meanwhile, like all the girdles filled with blood and feces because some hits are savage enough to overpower the central nervous system, I’d put in a special bin for disposal.

At one morning practice a player asked me, the smell of liquor on his breath, to run to the locker room and get him some mint gum. For weeks there had been reports that he was going to be released. When I brought the gum to him, he asked me to unwrap it because his fingers were too mangled for fine motor skills. I was later surprised to learn how many players had been arrested on suspicion of drunken driving and public intoxication (according to a USA Today database, since 2000 there have been 237 alcohol-related arrests, nearly three times more than the next most frequent charge, assault and battery).

I’m not recounting these stories to raise sympathy for player-criminals, but to spread awareness that the well of N.F.L. violence is drawing water from more sources than you may realize.

Continue reading the main story

So what do we do, those of us who are appalled by the run of domestic violence, saddened by the brain injuries and utterly in love with the sport of football? Because it is a wonderful game most of the time, and while the big hits do draw millions, we are just as enthralled by the drama of a goal-line stand, the beauty of a perfectly choreographed pass completion, the freakish athleticism of men who represent the pinnacle of human physiology.

We can start by having this conversation about the emotional health of players, and having it frequently enough that the N.F.L. has to start listening, just as it did in 2011 when frenzied media coverage of head injuries forced the league to adopt safer concussion protocols. The N.F.L. can provide its players with more and better mental health resources, and it’s time fans start demanding that it do so.

There are those who would solve the problem by abolishing football altogether. But that would only further ignore the needs of the millions of football players, from youth leaguers to professionals, who rely on the game as a source of healthy emotional fulfillment. It was no different for me: Even with what I witnessed as a ball boy, I still decided to play college football. That decision left me with a permanently damaged knee, but I don’t regret having played. I know the game, during its best moments, is built upon core tenets of courage, perseverance, teamwork and, most of all, sacrifice.

The hope of every football fan is that by mitigating the emotional toll endured by some players, we can not only reduce violent aftershocks — our primary goal — but also save the N.F.L. from slipping further into a downward spiral. Otherwise we might lose football altogether, and with it our weekly chance to put up our feet and forget, for a few exhilarating hours, our own pain and hardship.

Eric Kester, the author of “That Book About Harvard,” is writing a book about his experience as an N.F.L. ball boy.

Sounds like a lot of flowery writing to gloss over the fact that he really has nothing new to add to the conversation.

If the NFL commissioned ball boys to carry smelling salts to "arouse" players who have been knocked woozy, that is a huge story.

It aligns with the NFLPA's assertion that the League does not care about players, players health and views them as just meat that can get hit. 

While we all know that is true, with current litigation, they can basically legislate and sue the league into submission.

Not sure where the former "concussion" cases are, as of last reading I had heard that the cases were re-opened after the NFL settled all past and future cases.

If the NFL commissioned ball boys to carry smelling salts to "arouse" players who have been knocked woozy, that is a huge story.

It aligns with the NFLPA's assertion that the League does not care about players, players health and views them as just meat that can get hit. 

While we all know that is true, with current litigation, they can basically legislate and sue the league into submission.

Not sure where the former "concussion" cases are, as of last reading I had heard that the cases were re-opened after the NFL settled all past and future cases.

I don't get why this is surprising though...I remember hearing broadcasters make jokes about Tom Waddle getting something like five smelling salts during a MNF game against the Jets.  He killed the Jets that night and had almost as many smelling salts as catches.  The trainers were doing it out in the open, repeatedly.  Is it not common knowledge that this was done regularly?  I think it's one of those things where the league and the players knew that it was bad for them, but nobody knew how bad.  With that being the case, unless they can prove the league knew the long-term impact which they may not have back then, they'll have a tough time in court.

Yawn. The pussification of America continues. "Hey fellas, this ain't tiddley winks!"

Sharting because of hard hits?? Haha.

You see?...fantasy football from my couch is just like real football. I hope I get a win and don't shart at any point over the course of the day!!

I don't get why this is surprising though...I remember hearing broadcasters make jokes about Tom Waddle getting something like five smelling salts during a MNF game against the Jets.  He killed the Jets that night and had almost as many smelling salts as catches.  The trainers were doing it out in the open, repeatedly.  Is it not common knowledge that this was done regularly?  I think it's one of those things where the league and the players knew that it was bad for them, but nobody knew how bad.  With that being the case, unless they can prove the league knew the long-term impact which they may not have back then, they'll have a tough time in court.

Having ball boys administer smelling salts, is certainly different to having trainers (whom you would hope have a level of medical competence to know when to send a player back in or not).

If the league was having ball boys do it, they are acting as a doctor also, which they are not.

If you've read League of Denial this is really nothing compared to the rest of the sh*t that Tagliabue and Goodell had the league doing before CTE became a salient issue.

I was thinking of reading the book, but basically decided not to, as I I thought I would be turned off by what I read (me, putting my head in a hole).

Was it a worthy read, and did it seem credible?

Seems like this author can write a good book. He can sensationalize the act of players drinking water to the point where we might think something major just took player and the player's life was just spared.

Biggest problem with football, is the PED's. 40 years ago a 230 lb lineman was big. Now 300+ is the norm. And they are faster, and stronger at that weight.

It's basic physics.

Humans have not evolved physically to make that happen, PED's made that happen.

If the players really cared about safety, they would take the initiative to rid the league of PED's for good.

Seems like this author can write a good book. He can sensationalize the act of players drinking water to the point where we might think something major just took player and the player's life was just spared.

20 something American males occasionally show up to work hung over. SHOCKING. CANNOT BELIEVE IT. 

From the first day of Pop Warner you are told you will sometimes play with pain, but not with injury. It's little different in the NFL. Did this guy think he got a job in a mall? Did he ever play? 

His book apparently deals with his time at Harvard. Looks to me like a minor flunky for an NFL team with a decent vocabulary sees a chance to cash a check or 2 writing an article for the Times about the things he saw which corroborates some of the bad stuff about the NFL ongoing in the press. 

The NFL undoubtedly indulges talented players who in may cases have been indulged for a decade or so because they're great athletes prior to ever showing up at an NFL training facility. Anyone who has gone to college or high school knows that some (not all)of the best athletes are complete and total a-holes.  But a lot of them are decent guys. Probably an NFL lockeroom is a composite like any workplace group, though with way more physically fit and alpha male than most..And where the workers slam into each other 5 days a week and the competition one day a week. So there is going to be pain and injuries. 

In short, the author sound like a whiny effeminate dick.If you get a doctor opening the the medicine cabinet and giving out drugs like chick lets, that's a story that would be compelling. This is not 

Biggest problem with football, is the PED's. 40 years ago a 230 lb lineman was big. Now 300+ is the norm. And they are faster, and stronger at that weight.

It's basic physics.

Humans have not evolved physically to make that happen, PED's made that happen.

If the players really cared about safety, they would take the initiative to rid the league of PED's for good.

There are high school teams that give sophomores HGH, roids, deer spray and God knows what eles. This guy wants to talk about smelling salts. 

All these guys know what they are doing when they step on the field. The guys in the '60's played for the love of the game. The guys in the '70's and '80's started to get paid and realized they could play football and make a living. They also realized that they could pump themselves up with steroids and play on a thin layer of green plastic, laid on concrete, and think it was OK.

How bad was AstroTurf?  AFCE in the mid '80's: Bills, Pats, Jets & Colts had AstroTurf. Steelers, Eagles, Giants, Bengals, Seahawks, Saints, etc (There are probably more teams that I can't recall)

All these guys know what they are doing when they step on the field. The guys in the '60's played for the love of the game. The guys in the '70's and '80's started to get paid and realized they could play football and make a living. They also realized that they could pump themselves up with steroids and play on a thin layer of green plastic, laid on concrete, and think it was OK.

How bad was AstroTurf?  AFCE in the mid '80's: Bills, Pats, Jets & Colts had AstroTurf. Steelers, Eagles, Giants, Bengals, Seahawks, Saints, etc (There are probably more teams that I can't recall)

Astroturf might as well be cement painted green.

Astroturf might as well be cement painted green.

Horrible stuff. The NFL knowingly played the most violent sport in the world on concrete. Why doesn't anyone bring that up?

Just thought of a few more green painted concrete fields back in the day: Dallas, St. Louis (Cardinals), Kansas City, Chicago & Minnesota.

Field turf is even worse.

The black pellets you see popping up are causing cancer in soccer goalies.

Not sure there is any proof of that.

But fieldturf was sold as almost maintenance free; it's not. It drains very well but over time well-used fields tend to lose their pellets and get more like astroturf. Problem is the more north you get harder to maintain natural grass into late fall, and even worse if you host a lot of different events.

Archived