So what is the deal exactly with Harvin's contract

Sully28

I know there's the thread on him, but I really just want to know his contract situation. I know he has a large contract in place already but, I've heard there isn't a lot of guaranteed money past this year and it seems many of you guys still want a wide receiver for the long term, so just wondering if the above is true

Nice, low risk high reward deal. If he's as evil as everyone says he is we won't be married to him like were with Holmes. Have a feeling this'll work out for us though.

We gave Holmes that wonderful contract after a very similar situation as Harvin. He was in the last year of his contract and had a 4 game suspension so was only available a portion of the season fir us.  He played really well and was a game changer. Hence the $10 mil per year. If Harvin comes over here and plays lights out we could end up with something that looks eerily familiar to us Jets fans. 

I'm wondering whether --- assuming Harvin doesn't light the world on fire and score 15 TDs in the final 9 games --- Idzik seeks to restructure Harvin's contract entirely.  I'm admittedly not a cap expert and I'm unfamiliar with the mechanics, but perhaps we could entice Harvin to take an annual pay cut (and therefore count less against the cap) by throwing him a few guaranteed dollars.  The thinking here is that nobody is going to sign Harvin to a contract with the annual money that he's owed--- unless, again, he sets the world on fire.

We gave Holmes that wonderful contract after a very similar situation as Harvin. He was in the last year of his contract and had a 4 game suspension so was only available a portion of the season fir us.  He played really well and was a game changer. Hence the $10 mil per year. If Harvin comes over here and plays lights out we could end up with something that looks eerily familiar to us Jets fans. 

Yep.  People forget, Holmes was the #1 WR FA that year, by a land slide.  And his big play ability was winning the Jets games, Tone Time.

The only thing the Jets have going for them, if they want to retain him (they wont) is Harvin has proved he's not a true WR and there are some really F'ing good ones hitting FA this offseason that could drive down his cost. 

I'm against it because it's a waste of $7mm in an already list season. That's $7mm less cap money we can use to lure an even better WR than him.

you make many assumptions: (1) there will be a player "better" than him available this off-season; (2) that idzik can win a free agency bidding war over that player; (3) that player wants to come catch passes from geno smith; and (4) that the coaching staff will be ready to make a decision about Geno without giving him another weapon.

harvin was available, and just so happened to be available now. our options were rent with an option to buy, or pass hoping for the above. that makes him already better than a hypothetical within an assumption soaked in a dream. if he stinks we cut him and still have plenty of money to bring in another WR who his former team didn't want or didn't want to pay for, which will require a big guaranteed money contract, which is also a risk.

you make many assumptions: (1) there will be a player "better" than him available this off-season; (2) that idzik can win a free agency bidding war over that player; (3) that player wants to come catch passes from geno smith; and (4) that the coaching staff will be ready to make a decision about Geno without giving him another weapon.

harvin was available, and just so happened to be available now. our options were rent with an option to buy, or pass hoping for the above. that makes him already better than a hypothetical within an assumption soaked in a dream. if he stinks we cut him and still have plenty of money to bring in another WR who his former team didn't want or didn't want to pay for, which will require a big guaranteed money contract, which is also a risk.

You nailed it Darth.

Yep.  People forget, Holmes was the #1 WR FA that year, by a land slide.  And his big play ability was winning the Jets games, Tone Time.

The only thing the Jets have going for them, if they want to retain him (they wont) is Harvin has proved he's not a true WR and there are some really F'ing good ones hitting FA this offseason that could drive down his cost. 

Yeah, I was all for signing tone. I wanted Bray Bray more, but things didn't turn sour yet. Harvin could be the same situation almost exactly. Same problem label, same style of play, similar size. It's like dejavu. 

The only thing I disagree with you about is that we will keep him the same way we did tone. It's just more Jet like that way. 

Jets' salary-cap update, post-Harvin trade: $14.6 million in room

October, 21, 2014

OCT 21

1:10

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

The addition of Percy Harvin took a chunk out of the New York Jets' massive amount of salary-cap space, but they're still not crying poverty. They still have $14.58 million in room, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Only the Jacksonville Jaguars ($24.17 million), Cleveland Browns ($20.58 million) and Philadelphia Eagles ($16.54 million) have more space than the Jets.

Harvin will count $6.47 million on the cap for the final 10 weeks (nine games plus the bye week). Initially, it was widely reported his cap charge would be $7.1 million, but his former team, the Seattle Seahawks, ended up picking up last week's pay check because the Jets already had played Thursday night, before the trade was finalized.

Despite his abbreviated season in New York, Harvin still has the fourth-highest cap charge on the Jets. The top 5:

1. D'Brickashaw Ferguson -- $11.7 million

2. Nick Mangold -- $7.2 million

3. David Harris -- $7.0 million

4. Percy Harvin -- $6.47 million

5. Eric Decker -- $4.0 million

5. Michael Vick -- $4.0 million

Jets' salary-cap update, post-Harvin trade: $14.6 million in room

October, 21, 2014

OCT 21

1:10

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

The addition of Percy Harvin took a chunk out of the New York Jets' massive amount of salary-cap space, but they're still not crying poverty. They still have $14.58 million in room, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Only the Jacksonville Jaguars ($24.17 million), Cleveland Browns ($20.58 million) and Philadelphia Eagles ($16.54 million) have more space than the Jets.

Harvin will count $6.47 million on the cap for the final 10 weeks (nine games plus the bye week). Initially, it was widely reported his cap charge would be $7.1 million, but his former team, the Seattle Seahawks, ended up picking up last week's pay check because the Jets already had played Thursday night, before the trade was finalized.

Despite his abbreviated season in New York, Harvin still has the fourth-highest cap charge on the Jets. The top 5:

1. D'Brickashaw Ferguson -- $11.7 million

2. Nick Mangold -- $7.2 million

3. David Harris -- $7.0 million

4. Percy Harvin -- $6.47 million

5. Eric Decker -- $4.0 million

5. Michael Vick -- $4.0 million

and who said thursday night games sucked. playing thursday saved us $600k. i wonder if idzik really is clever enough to show interest in harvin "right after the patriots game," according to some reports, to save that 600.

and who said thursday night games sucked. playing thursday saved us $600k. i wonder if idzik really is clever enough to show interest in harvin "right after the patriots game," according to some reports, to say that 600.

He seems to care more about the nickels and dimes than if the team is in or out of the playoff hunt. 

and who said thursday night games sucked. playing thursday saved us $600k. i wonder if idzik really is clever enough to show interest in harvin "right after the patriots game," according to some reports, to save that 600.

Nah

I think the Fri signing had more to do with the text he got from Woody Fri morning.

Something about "cleaning your desk out".     He must be sloppy 

heh only you can call Holmes the number 1 WR that year when nobody at all was even calling him in for a workout or contract discussions. Only the Jets can think this way. And trust me NO ONE in this league would have even come close to the ten mil per we gave that Idiot

I unfortunately have to continue to disagree.  With that extra $7mm we can put on top of anything we would be able to/willing to offer the top free agent WR on the market.  Money is what matters to these guys and $7mm goes a long way to adding on top of a contract.    So if we were going to offer someone $10mm but instead can now make it $17mm - there's an opportunity to get a great player. 

I realize it's a bit of a risk, but so is wasting $7mm on a guy that you're likely to have to cut after this season.

I unfortunately have to continue to disagree.  With that extra $7mm we can put on top of anything we would be able to/willing to offer the top free agent WR on the market.  Money is what matters to these guys and $7mm goes a long way to adding on top of a contract.    So if we were going to offer someone $10mm but instead can now make it $17mm - there's an opportunity to get a great player. 

I realize it's a bit of a risk, but so is wasting $7mm on a guy that you're likely to have to cut after this season.

everything is a risk. who knows who will be available in FA. people who think dez bryant or someone similar will be allowed to test FA are going to be disappointed. who was the #1 WR available in FA this year? decker and then later djax. harvin is about as good as it gets unless you draft a guy or do a blockbuster trade (multiple high draft picks) for one.

(5) We will be down to our last million or two next season. It's $7M total, not $7M every season. Add another $7M to a mythical elite FA WR's deal and it's another $1.5M/year over 5 years. It's not like - if Harvin flops - we can now only afford another $7M WR instead of a $14M WR. 

I'd prefer it was less myself, but it was available when it was available. Just catching up on some older threads on the first page and supposedly Seattle was dangling him for a couple of weeks at least. So that would have been another couple million plus I'm sure their asking price was higher then. We could have waited longer and gotten him for less. We also could have waited longer and someone else scoops in and grabs him and we miss out.

Will be interesting how they handle next year (assuming Harvin gives them reason to bring him back).

everything is a risk. who knows who will be available in FA. people who think dez bryant or someone similar will be allowed to test FA are going to be disappointed. who was the #1 WR available in FA this year? decker and then later djax. harvin is about as good as it gets unless you draft a guy or do a blockbuster trade (multiple high draft picks) for one.

I get it and don't hate the move - I just think $7mm is a lot to spend on a throw away year.  I, personally, would have rather rolled the dice and made an attempt at a more reliable top flight receiver in the offseason (especially on a true wide-out - someone we won't have to play out of position) - but I can understand it the logic behind it.

My issue is with people saying we got him for nothing, this is a no brainer and comes with no risk.  The $7mm, with his history,  makes it a legitimate risk.

I get it and don't hate the move - I just think $7mm is a lot to spend on a throw away year.  I, personally, would have rather rolled the dice and made an attempt at a more reliable top flight receiver in the offseason (especially on a true wide-out - someone we won't have to play out of position) - but I can understand it the logic behind it.

My issue is with people saying we got him for nothing, this is a no brainer and comes with no risk.  The $7mm, with his history,  makes it a legitimate risk.

Are people saying that? I'm still playing catch-up but I think they're saying he was next to nothing in terms of compensation to Seattle. If he costs us a 4th it means he was worth more than a 4th. Hopefully, lol.

I don't think signing Harvin precludes the Jets from signing some elite, pure outside WR who's an obvious upgrade from Harvin. Nor does he encroach on the Jets' ability to sign such a desirable player, if one even exists.

yeah so the timing wasn't perfect. but when is it? also "no brainer" doesn't mean "without risk." the risk is greatly outweighed by the potential reward, that's why it is a no brainer.

it is a no brainer to bet that a coin toss won't land on heads 10x in a row, but that doesn't mean there is no risk. you could still lose but it is a smart decision based on the information available at the time.

Are people saying that? I'm still playing catch-up but I think they're saying he was next to nothing in terms of compensation to Seattle. If he costs us a 4th it means he was worth more than a 4th. Hopefully, lol.

I don't think signing Harvin precludes the Jets from signing some elite, pure outside WR who's an obvious upgrade from Harvin. Nor does he encroach on the Jets' ability to sign such a desirable player, if one even exists.

i think "hope" is not a wise strategy. hoping for an elite dez bryant type player to be available in FA is a wild dream. teams don't let guys like that walk. as soon as contracts talks stall and it looks like a deal won't get done, the team ships them out for a conditional pick. better than cutting them.

it is in fact actually more risky to sit idle hoping for an elite WR to become available than take the bird in hand with harvin

Harvin has proved he's not a true WR and there are some really F'ing good ones hitting FA this offseason that could drive down his cost

In other words, we'll sign him as a WR, even though he's not a true WR, just because he's cheap? Sounds like us.

I would use Holmes as a measuring stick. The beat Harvin over the head with it. I would sign him to an incentive laden contract that can instantly voided if he shows his a$$ just once.

Let's say he's cut after this season. Does the $7 million count against the cap in the 2015 free agent market? Pardon my ignorance on the matter, but that's what I'm getting from some of the posts.

I don't think so. He has nothing guaranteed from the Jets in 2015, so I doubt it.

Let's say he's cut after this season. Does the $7 million count against the cap in the 2015 free agent market? Pardon my ignorance on the matter, but that's what I'm getting from some of the posts.

With the new CBA, teams can roll unused cap space into future years. That was seemingly part of the logic of the Jets carrying so much this year in the first place. With the Harvin deal, they'll now be carrying about $6.5M less. So yes, it does count against what they can spend next year. And that's whether he's with the team or not next year.

The good news is that they still have about $13M under the cap right now, and have another $16M in dead money clearing off the books next season. So that's $29M available to spend in free agency next year before the cap inevitably goes up. If Harvin sticks under his current contract (unlikely, IMHO), subtract $10.5M from that total. That's still $18.5M to play with before the cap goes up, or they do any other restructuring/cuts. My guess is that Harvin will be the first guy they come to for a pay cut.

Archived