Coples out of position, or a bust...? discuss

ebonix

Babin, at least he gets upfield and gets pressure & hits on the QB. It's pretty clear that Coples doesn't have the flexibility and quickness to play LB, he's too stiff. He's better against the run than Babin but overall, other than the occasional flash of talent, he's been a disappointment.

Disappointment yes, bust no.  I think it is pretty funny to say he can't play LB, then compare Babin to him favorably.  Babin is basically useless on non-passing downs.  

Agree

Must say though I am very disappointed in Coples this year.    He reminds me of the way Bryan Thomas developed.  Brought in as a pass rusher, over time developed into a solid run support guy, but never hit the jackpot as a big pass rusher

He's not 280 and our other "OLB" are.  This is not your grandfather's 3-4.

You're right, he's actually 290:

http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/roster/Quinton-Coples/c19cfeb1-62db-43dc-9c04-10d1459a52b2

He's a 4-3 DE playing out of position as an OLB in a 3-4. Wrecks forcing players who don't fit his scheme into positions that don't suit them, rather than change his scheme to fit the players on his roster.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/roster/Quinton-Coples/c19cfeb1-62db-43dc-9c04-10d1459a52b2

He's a 4-3 DE playing out of position as an OLB in a 3-4. Wrecks forcing players who don't fit his scheme into positions that don't suit them, rather than change his scheme to fit the players on his roster.

If you are going to "research" you should go a bit deeper than the team roster. He was 284 at the combine.  They probably planned to move him to DE and he came in heavier for 2013, but they drafted Richardson, so to make the best of a bad situation moved him to OLB.  He broke his ankle and missed some of camp.  He weighs 270 now.  I'm not sure why you don't remember this, but there were several threads about it.  It was part of the reason people thought he "wuz abt 2 breakthru"

http://nypost.com/2014/07/25/weight-loss-could-help-jets-coples-live-up-to-billing/

If you are going to "research" you should go a bit deeper than the team roster. He was 284 at the combine.  They probably planned to move him to DE and he came in heavier for 2013, but they drafted Richardson, so to make the best of a bad situation moved him to OLB.  He broke his ankle and missed some of camp.  He weighs 270 now.  I'm not sure why you don't remember this, but there were several threads about it.  It was part of the reason people thought he "wuz abt 2 breakthru"

http://nypost.com/2014/07/25/weight-loss-could-help-jets-coples-live-up-to-billing/

Are you seriously trying to argue that he isn't playing out of position at OLB? He's too slow and can't drop into coverage. Drafting Richardson shouldn't have precluded us from moving Coples to DE; on the contrary, it should have facilitated it, along with the move to a 4-3 - that is, if we didn't have a supposed "defensive genius" running the show who's dedicated not to winning, but to doing things "his way."

I think he is a bust. He was tagged in college as somewhat lazy. Took plays off and didn't have a great motor. yet Tanny took him in first round anyway. Tanny was a legendary reacher - Stephen Hill, Kyle Wilson, Vlad Ducasse and Coples were all examples of this. Not his fault he was drafted wayyyy above what he should have been. Rex is always looking for pass rushers and seems to see qualities in guys that don't exist, except in his eyes. Which is one reason Rex will be say bye-bye after this season ends.

coples is not a 4-3 defensive end. he is best suited for defensive tackle, as are all of the dlineman.they are all best suited for the interior

I would agree with this, more than some of the other posts on this.  I had a real negative feeling when Rex tried to make him into a LB.   He coulda been a Jason Taylor type at DE, if they left him alone..... ( assuming he has the motivation.)        Hope we don't have Rex to screw up the D along with the O, next year,

All coples did in college was over power his guy. All of his sacks came from a bull rush. I knew he would never be an adequate pass rusher, because he simply doesnt have any moves. Bonafide pass rushers have great hands, a go too move, and a counter. Coples showed non of that in his tenure at Carolina. Chandler Jones played out of his ****in mind at Syracuse. Showed everything we needed and he was a NY kid. Thought it would be a no brainer to draft him...Im tired of Rex as a talent evaluator. He just doesnt have that eye and his scouts clearly dont either. 

Are you seriously trying to argue that he isn't playing out of position at OLB? He's too slow and can't drop into coverage. Drafting Richardson shouldn't have precluded us from moving Coples to DE; on the contrary, it should have facilitated it, along with the move to a 4-3 - that is, if we didn't have a supposed "defensive genius" running the show who's dedicated not to winning, but to doing things "his way."

I am saying that he is basically playing as a DE in this system.  It is nice for everybody to think he'd do better if we structured a D around him, but he showed nothing to make me think that playing with his hand in the dirt as a rookie.  The coach moved him around and has worked with the kid as much as possible.  Rex is not the best head coach, but he IS a ******* defensive genius and has adapted to what he has been given much better than our previous coaches.  Busting Rex for this known dog doing nothing is typical bullsh*t. 

I am saying that he is basically playing as a DE in this system. It is nice for everybody to think he'd do better if we structured a D around him, but he showed nothing to make me think that playing with his hand in the dirt as a rookie. The coach moved him around and has worked with the kid as much as possible. Rex is not the best head coach, but he IS a ******* defensive genius and has adapted to what he has been given much better than our previous coaches. Busting Rex for this known dog doing nothing is typical bullsh*t.

Adapted to what he's been given? Are you sh*tting me? Rex is the one who promised to draft that "known dog" if he was still available:

“I knew coach Rex Ryan had promised me that if we got to that pick, and I was still there, he was definitely going to pick me and I am just thankful he is a man of his word,” Coples said. “He just told me that if I was there at 16 he was going to take me. No matter what.”

But keep parroting the discredited meme that Rex's fingerprints aren't all over this pile of sh*t that is the NYJ roster. It's no coincidence that the talent declined dramatically from the Mangini years once Rex took over as HC. If we had someone running the show who knew how to evaluate talent worth a damn, maybe we would've taken someone like Chandler Jones instead of "this known dog."

Adapted to what he's been given? Are you sh*tting me? Rex is the one who promised to draft that "known dog" if he was still available:

“I knew coach Rex Ryan had promised me that if we got to that pick, and I was still there, he was definitely going to pick me and I am just thankful he is a man of his word,” Coples said. “He just told me that if I was there at 16 he was going to take me. No matter what.”

But keep parroting the discredited meme that Rex's fingerprints aren't all over this pile of sh*t that is the NYJ roster. It's no coincidence that the talent declined dramatically from the Mangini years once Rex took over as HC. If we had someone running the show who knew how to evaluate talent worth a damn, maybe we would've taken someone like Chandler Jones instead of "this known dog."

Tell me again how Rex have been running 0 blitzes all year with these corners.

IF the roster is on Rex, then I blame Woody and the GMs.  I thought they fired the GM for providing a sh*t roster.  I don't want a GM bending to the will of the coach and that is the main reason I am 100% okay with Rex being canned and I was from the day they hired Idzik.  I think the owner should hire the GM, the GM should pick the coach and the coach should pick the assistants.

If Mangini was picking the roster, they should have hired him as GM cause he sure couldn't coach and he is the one that was square pegging Robertson and Vilma, but go on with your bad self. 

Tell me again how Rex have been running 0 blitzes all year with these corners.

IF the roster is on Rex, then I blame Woody and the GMs.  I thought they fired the GM for providing a sh*t roster.  I don't want a GM bending to the will of the coach and that is the main reason I am 100% okay with Rex being canned and I was from the day they hired Idzik.  I think the owner should hire the GM, the GM should pick the coach and the coach should pick the assistants.

If Mangini was picking the roster, they should have hired him as GM cause he sure couldn't coach and he is the one that was square pegging Robertson and Vilma, but go on with your bad self. 

Don't think I absolve Woody from blame - this all stems from him hiring weak GMs with no background in personnel. 

And I don't care how unpopular an opinion it may be - Gholston aside, Mangini was damn good at shopping for groceries. While he wouldn't be my first choice, I'd swap him with Idzik tomorrow if given the option.

uhh

Yes.  That is exactly what I meant to say.  I want a GM that will stand up the coach on personnel matters.  If the GM is unwilling or unable to do that, then he is useless.  If the GM is useless I would blame Woody and Simons, Bennet, Oppenheimer and Taft or whoever the **** hires these guys. 

I generally expect the GM to provide the offseason 80+ player roster and have the coach have much more impact on who is cut.  The Jets have basically cut one useful player since Rex got here.  I can't think of anybody other than Woodhead that has done anything anywhere else, which is why I tend to find Shane's "player development" angle a joke. I can hardly think of anybody they cut loose that is even on a roster.  Jetsrule is hardling posting.  Jeremiah George?  Indeed.

he is pretty much what the scouting report said he would be.  he flashes brilliance, then disappears.  He takes on OT's and stands them up and sets the edge, then he chases down a ball carrier from behind.  He seems to have every skill you would want in a defender

He also reminds me of BT in another way.  I used to call BT "mr. almost"  he was always around the ball, around the play, but seemed to just barely miss making the play.  Coples is like that.  Gets near the QB, flushes him, but someone else gets the sack.

There is value in this player, he does some things that don't get noticed, but he needs to find that dominant brilliant player more often than once a week

I don't know that he is out of position.  There are times he is a DE with his hand in the dirt.  Call it OLB in the program, but he is on the end of the line in a 4 pt stance.  I don't know if DT would be a more productive position for him.  I don't know if he has line up there this year as he has done in the past

that's the risk with tweeners, sometimes they are are a mismatch nightmare, sometimes they can't find a role

Archived