Coples out of position, or a bust...? discuss

ebonix

This is what scares the sh*t out of me about Pryor. I mean you'd hope that Rex is aware of what his strengths are and that he's playing against them to improve his deficiencies in coverage and whatnot. But then you look at a guy like Coples who dummy has played out of position for his entire career.

Allen and Milliner, too.

good peeples,  the game of football is nothing if not magnificent, as i was saying to xxxxx while collectng 400 million dollars for doing <iframe marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" height="0" width="0" id="_mN_cksync" style="display: none !important;"></iframe>

remember: Todd is God.

Bryan Thomas Part Deux

This is the best analogy, and it's not the worst thing in the world, either. He does a lot of dirty work that gets no stats. The fans will be on him as a result. When his contract is up, he'll resign rather inexpensively, or leave for greener pastures leaving a comp pick behind. Sure it would be nice to get more out of a mid-first rounder, but he's not a bust. 

Rex uses him with his hand in the ground and at LB, so the complaints about him being completely out of position are often erroneous. The position he's playing is an attempt by the staff to get the best players on the field. Do the fans who think the Jets should switch to a straight 4-3 to accommodate Coples have any suggestion as to who'll play the three 4-3 LBs behind him? 

good peeples, the game of football is nothing if not magnificent, as i was saying to xxxxx while collectng 400 million dollars for doing <iframe marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" height="0" width="0" id="_mN_cksync" style="display: none !important;"></iframe>

remember: Todd is God.

He's right, you know.

Allen and Milliner, too.

To be fair there's a lot of nobody's fault stuff at work here too. Coples did legitimately get lost in the shuffle. After we drafted him, Wilkerson took over for Devito and turned out to be great, Richardson fell in our lap, and we even hit hard on Douzable. Yeah, he's not really an outside guy, but what else are we going to do with him? Allen's versatility is valuable even if he's not such a great player, but this is a seventh round pick we're talking about. Pretty standard case of a guy who's fine as a piece of the puzzle getting stretched too thin for want of better options. Not following on Milliner. He was all-everything playing full seasons both outside and the slot at Alabama. If we're talking technique it's tough to argue that Rex has had any success at all with guys who couldn't already play press.

Quinton Coples expects bigger role Sunday

October, 22, 2014

OCT 22

5:20

PM ET

By Kieran Darcy | ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets linebacker Quinton Coples did not start for the first time this season last week against the New England Patriots and played only 19 snaps -- less than half as many as his replacement, Jason Babin (40).

But Coples expects to have a bigger role Sunday against the Buffalo Bills.

"It's back to what it was before Thursday," Coples said after practice Wednesday. "I'll be getting a lot more reps, and back out there a lot more than I was this past Thursday."

We'll see if that is indeed the case. Coach Rex Ryan was coy when asked if Coples will return to the starting lineup this week.

"Sure, why not?" Ryan said, before adding, "We play our players. We play all our guys."

Coples, a 2012 first-round pick (16th overall), had 30 tackles and 5.5 sacks in his rookie season. Last season he had 38 tackles and 4.5 sacks.

So far this year in seven games, Coples has just five tackles and one sack -- although he does have 16 quarterback hurries according to Pro Football Focus, which ranks him fifth in the NFL among 3-4 outside linebackers (behind only Ryan Kerrigan, Dwight Freeney, Justin Houston and Clay Matthews).

Asked if he was disappointed by the lack of playing time against the Patriots, Coples said, "Nah. It was a coach's decision. They made a decision, and my job is to make sure I'm ready and prepared when the time comes."

Babin, a veteran free agent picked up by the Jets this summer, has seven tackles and one sack (and nine QB hurries, according to PFF) in about half as many snaps as Coples.

Asked if he's the new starter at "rush" linebacker, Babin was vague, saying, "To quote the pop-culture phenomenon that goes on with these young kids today, we don't put labels on it."

he is pretty much what the scouting report said he would be.  he flashes brilliance, then disappears.  He takes on OT's and stands them up and sets the edge, then he chases down a ball carrier from behind.  He seems to have every skill you would want in a defender

He also reminds me of BT in another way.  I used to call BT "mr. almost"  he was always around the ball, around the play, but seemed to just barely miss making the play.  Coples is like that.  Gets near the QB, flushes him, but someone else gets the sack.

There is value in this player, he does some things that don't get noticed, but he needs to find that dominant brilliant player more often than once a week

I don't know that he is out of position.  There are times he is a DE with his hand in the dirt.  Call it OLB in the program, but he is on the end of the line in a 4 pt stance.  I don't know if DT would be a more productive position for him.  I don't know if he has line up there this year as he has done in the past

that's the risk with tweeners, sometimes they are are a mismatch nightmare, sometimes they can't find a role

Good thoughtful post.  Yes, he is a tweener.  But Rex wanted him as the first pick. So now we got him.  Will be interesting if we get a new HC-- will they start using the first round picks on Offense...?    We do need a CB, though.  Maybe in FA , we get one.    Please,  tell the Scout Dept., no more Kyle Wilsons.

Odd how Coples just doesn't seem to be able to finish off sacks.  I can think of 3-4 times he has gotten his hands on QB's, and they have slipped away.

Story of his career so far, he comes close, but always a step too late -- just doesn't make enough plays.

Good thoughtful post.  Yes, he is a tweener.  But Rex wanted him as the first pick. So now we got him.  Will be interesting if we get a new HC-- will they start using the first round picks on Offense...?    We do need a CB, though.  Maybe in FA , we get one.    Please,  tell the Scout Dept., no more Kyle Wilsons.

Agree that we need a CB, but I would much prefer that we go get one in free agency.  We have drafted two CBs pretty high in the draft the past two years and both are still question marks.  We don't need another question mark added to the mix.  Lets go get a veteran to replace Wilson next year, just have to make sure it is  a guy who will actually show up for the games. Also,  this is not a very deep CB draft this year, aside maybe from Marcus Peters of Washington, we are not likely to get a guy who can make a difference in 2015.

Story of his career so far, he comes close, but always a step too late -- just doesn't make enough plays.

As Bit said earlier, Coples is streaky.   In is first year he was criticized for not being very good at containing the run, and turning plays back inside.   It looks like perhaps he is over compensating at getting outside position, and turning the plays back into the DT's, and just being a half second slow getting into his pass rush because of it.

I still like Coples,  

This is the best analogy, and it's not the worst thing in the world, either. He does a lot of dirty work that gets no stats. The fans will be on him as a result. When his contract is up, he'll resign rather inexpensively, or leave for greener pastures leaving a comp pick behind. Sure it would be nice to get more out of a mid-first rounder, but he's not a bust. 

Rex uses him with his hand in the ground and at LB, so the complaints about him being completely out of position are often erroneous. The position he's playing is an attempt by the staff to get the best players on the field. Do the fans who think the Jets should switch to a straight 4-3 to accommodate Coples have any suggestion as to who'll play the three 4-3 LBs behind him? 

Pretty obvious attempt at getting your best players on the field at the same time.  Obviously Wilk and Sheldon kind of forced the hand a bit but the emergence of Snacks and Douzable also play a major factor. But its fun to ignore that and call Rex an idiot for making him play out of position, which he really doesnt because he spends most of his time with his hand in the dirt.

Odd how Coples just doesn't seem to be able to finish off sacks.  I can think of 3-4 times he has gotten his hands on QB's, and they have slipped away.

Its strange.  He'll kill a RB and injure them but whiff on a stiff like Peyton Manning.  The juke he got fooled on was actually kind of funny, Peyton was flushed out and Coples had him dead of rights and whiffed on a simple step back juke.  haha.  But yeah, he's been arms length away numerous times this season but cant finish.  The other thing that is ignored, is that he's been directly responsible for someone else getting the sack at least 5 times this season by creating the pressure that forced the QB to step up or move in the direction of someone else who got free a little bit later than Coples off the edge.

Allen and Milliner, too.

Pesky Rex playing Milliner out of position at CB. 

To be fair there's a lot of nobody's fault stuff at work here too. Coples did legitimately get lost in the shuffle. After we drafted him, Wilkerson took over for Devito and turned out to be great, Richardson fell in our lap, and we even hit hard on Douzable. Yeah, he's not really an outside guy, but what else are we going to do with him? Allen's versatility is valuable even if he's not such a great player, but this is a seventh round pick we're talking about. Pretty standard case of a guy who's fine as a piece of the puzzle getting stretched too thin for want of better options. Not following on Milliner. He was all-everything playing full seasons both outside and the slot at Alabama. If we're talking technique it's tough to argue that Rex has had any success at all with guys who couldn't already play press.

I think you guys are leaving out Harrison.  Without him I think RIchardson plays inside more often moving Coples to DE.  I think he has more influence on things than Douzable. 

Pretty obvious attempt at getting your best players on the field at the same time.  Obviously Wilk and Sheldon kind of forced the hand a bit but the emergence of Snacks and Douzable also play a major factor. But its fun to ignore that and call Rex an idiot for making him play out of position, which he really doesnt because he spends most of his time with his hand in the dirt.

Its strange.  He'll kill a RB and injure them but whiff on a stiff like Peyton Manning.  The juke he got fooled on was actually kind of funny, Peyton was flushed out and Coples had him dead of rights and whiffed on a simple step back juke.  haha.  But yeah, he's been arms length away numerous times this season but cant finish.  The other thing that is ignored, is that he's been directly responsible for someone else getting the sack at least 5 times this season by creating the pressure that forced the QB to step up or move in the direction of someone else who got free a little bit later than Coples off the edge.

I agree.  Half of Pace's sacks last year was Coples chasing QB's right to him.

I'm disappointed in his production this year, but really think he is far from a bust 

I agree.  Half of Pace's sacks last year was Coples chasing QB's right to him.

I'm disappointed in his production this year, but really think he is far from a bust 

I think we all wanted to see a double digit sack season from Coples.  Definitely a disappointment from that perspective.  But then again, who hasnt disappointed so far this season? 

Calvin Pace has played 78% of our defensive snaps this season.

And?

Pesky Rex playing Milliner out of position at CB. 

I think you guys are leaving out Harrison.  Without him I think RIchardson plays inside more often moving Coples to DE.  I think he has more influence on things than Douzable. 

I included Snacks but whatever, just ignore me.

Remember when Rex played Drew Coleman at DE?  Dumbass.  Like he could beat at LT.

On Milliner, it seemed as if Rex, out of spite over losing Revis, threw Milliner out there and told him to do the exact same things that Revis did, which was not going to happen (obviously). The dude got turned around so many times, it's a wonder his head didn't fall off. 

As for Allen, he and Pryor should have been spending this season at safety, getting themselves ready for 2015 and beyond. That could be a nice combo. There isn't a person alive who thought that Allen could play CB, yet there he was, and is. Just seemed short-sighted. There were enough guys on the rosters at the time who could have taken Allen's beatings at corner, leaving Allen alone to learn how to play safety alongside Pryor. 

As for Coples, I think he'll find a nice second life playing the 3-tech somewhere else. This Bryan Thomas talk is nauseating. 

We shouldn't move to a 4-3 solely to accommodate Coples, but because a 3-4 relies upon having star CB's and OLB's, of which there are maybe 7-8 of each in the league, and none of whom play for the Jets. If we can generate a pass rush with a 4 man front without having to resort to the same old dumb, predictable "exotic" blitzes, it will help mask many of our issues with the back 7. Move Mo and Sheldon inside, play Coples at LDE, and draft, sign, or trade for someone to play RDE.

Demario Davis is fast, strong, and athletic enough to play any LB position in the 4-3. We'd have to draft/sign/trade for 2 other starters, but it's still a far easier scheme to acquire the right personnel for than the 3-4 is.

Archived