Idzik Moves Should Receive Some Praise

JetNation

John Idzik

By Glenn Naughton

Yesterday the Jets announced the re-signing of wide receiver Jeremy Kerley to a four-year contract extension worth $16 million dollars with just over $5 million guaranteed.  This of course comes less than a week after General Manager John Idzik pulled off a stunning move by trading for controversial Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Percy Harvin.  Reaction to both moves has varied from a fan base that has been highly critical of Idzik’s methods up to this point.  In what already appears to be a lost season, Idzik’s lack of effort to upgrade key positions during the off-season despite ample salary cap space has been discussed ad nauseam.  Looking at the big picture however, Idzik should get some praise for this past week despite his many missteps up to this point.

The addition of Harvin gives the Jets their first established playmaker in over a decade when the Jets drafted WR Santana Moss.  While Harvin isn’t a polished route-runner or what some may consider to be a traditional wide receiver due to his versatility, Harvin still brings a skill set that will force defenses not only to game plan for him, but his presence should open up the vertical passing game, and hopefully make life easier on quarterback Geno Smith and the offense as a whole.

Almost immediately the trade, stories of his conduct in the locker room began to leak to the media and predictably, they ate it up.  We heard about Harvin getting involved in multiple physical altercations with his fellow receivers, and allegedly refusing to re-enter a game against the Dallas Cowboys late in the fourth quarter over disappointment in the way he was being utilized.  Harvin confirmed the former, but denied the latter.  This of course raised some flags for Jets fans who still aren’t quite over the Santonio Holmes saga.  As disturbing as these reports are, Idzik should be given credit for recognizing a golden opportunity and nabbing Harvin for what may end up being just a sixth round pick.

Despite his prior conduct, the only reason anyone should expect a repeat performance from Harvin is if he enjoys brawling with teammates more than he enjoys receiving huge paychecks.  At this point, even Harvin has to see that he simply can’t afford another mistake.  All of his guaranteed money will be paid by the end of this season and his salaries of roughly ten million dollars per season over the next few years only makes its way in to his bank account if he’s on the Jets’ roster.  If Harvin were to become a problem child and the Jets were forced to cut ties, no team would be willing to bring him on board for anywhere close to that salary.  With that being the case, it’s not unrealistic to expect Harvin to lose in excess of $20 million if Idzik decides he’s too big of a headache. Even if the Jets were to re-negotiate Harvin’s current deal to bring down his cap number, they would still be paying him far in excess of what he could hope to get elsewhere as a twice-traded and once released superstar.

With the acquisition of Harvin and the re-signing of Kerley, Idzik has given the Jets some legitimately viable options on offense for the next several seasons.  Just a few days ago, the only weapons Jets fans could fully expect to be on the roster next season were Eric Decker and Jace Amaro.  It seemed as though every other option was an unknown, and there was still no legitimate deep threat.  Now, whoever ends up taking snaps from under center next year, knows that they will have Harvin, Decker, Kerley, and Amaro which is an excellent starting point.  That group is unlikely to make much noise this season with the Jets staring at a 1-6 record, but there’s no doubt that Idzik has put the Jets in position to field a much improved offense for the next several years.  Too little too late, or better late than never?  You decide.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
obi1ZKn-woU

View the full article

As disturbing as these reports are, Idzik should be given credit for recognizing a golden opportunity and nabbing Harvin for what may end up being just a sixth round pick.

Despite his prior conduct, the only reason anyone should expect a repeat performance from Harvin is if he enjoys brawling with teammates more than he enjoys receiving huge paychecks.  At this point, even Harvin has to see that he simply can’t afford another mistake.  All of his guaranteed money will be paid by the end of this season and his salaries of roughly ten million dollars per season over the next few years only makes its way in to his bank account if he’s on the Jets’ roster. 

If Harvin is still on the roster next year, the likely cost is a 4th round pick. If all he winds up costing is a sixth, it means the experiment failed and it cost them $6.5M in future cap space. If he does stick, I do not expect him to stick for the approximately four years/$40M he has do to him unguaranteed starting next year. Right now it's wait & see mode with Harvin. If he's on the team at a lower cost (maybe a Decker-level $7.25M or so), the praise should start coming then. He's clearly a dynamic player, but he's not a true #1 WR by any stretch, and should not be paid like one. 

The Kerley signing is a respectable contract for both sides for a solid, middle-class WR. Before the Harvin trade, only he, Decker, and Amaro demonstrated any worth at the receiving positions. 

If Harvin is with the team next year, I'd say it all but takes the Jets completely out of the WR free agent market - but it shouldn't do anything to prevent them from taking a WR as high as the first round. The Jets could still use a more traditional #1 type WR. 

If Harvin is still on the roster next year, the likely cost is a 4th round pick. If all he winds up costing is a sixth, it means the experiment failed and it cost them $6.5M in future cap space. If he does stick, I do not expect him to stick for the approximately four years/$40M he has do to him unguaranteed starting next year. Right now it's wait & see mode with Harvin. If he's on the team at a lower cost (maybe a Decker-level $7.25M or so), the praise should start coming then. He's clearly a dynamic player, but he's not a true #1 WR by any stretch, and should not be paid like one. 

The Kerley signing is a respectable contract for both sides for a solid, middle-class WR. Before the Harvin trade, only he, Decker, and Amaro demonstrated any worth at the receiving positions. 

If Harvin is with the team next year, I'd say it all but takes the Jets completely out of the WR free agent market - but it shouldn't do anything to prevent them from taking a WR as high as the first round. The Jets could still use a more traditional #1 type WR. 

Yeah - neither do I, really.  What do you suspect they may do?  Guarantee him a few dollars up front in order to take a sizeable cut on the annual?

Agree Slats, If Harvin works, it takes us out of WR FA market, but expect a WR taken before the 5th round. all of this SJ wisdom is w/disclaimer of what a potential trade up for Mariota might cost us w/picks :)

Loved the Kerley move..he is kind of player every winning team needs,,cant all be Madden stars,,need role players who KNOW playbook and can run right route ;)

No.

It will be someone my friend if Geno flops..he was 2nd rounder, which in NFL GM world means no harm no foul,,only get the pitchpork for 1st round QB flops.

From what I hear, they think Mariota is Russ Wilson Jr. as far a Football IQ, something Geno seems to lack.

It will be someone my friend if Geno flops..he was 2nd rounder, which in NFL GM world means no harm no foul,,only get the pitchpork for 1st round QB flops.

From what I hear, they think Mariota is Russ Wilson Jr. as far a Football IQ, something Geno seems to lack.

I would take Connor Cook and even that dumb f*** Jameis Winston a thousand times before I drafted a QB out of this Oregon offense.  No way.

I would take Connor Cook and even that dumb f*** Jameis Winston a thousand times before I drafted a QB out of this Oregon offense.  No way.

hey thats why they have horseraces, everyone has different opinion.

I could care less about offense run, but look at tape and see if he can read Progressions,,, Progression reading (quickly) is MOST important forgotten element of NFL QB success. Jets scouts missed that part of Genos tape ;)

Many good QBs I agree, but NONE better than Mariota in last few years coming out (except RussWilson) at reading progressions.. Kid is calm and steps up in pocket and reads 1, 2 AND he finds his 3rd progression with ease...rare element at this age.

But I respect your like of other QBs,,lets hope we pick right one this time.

I could care less about offense run, but look at tape and see if he can read Progressions,,, Progression reading is MOST important forgotten element of NFL QB success. Jets scouts missed that part of Genos tape ;)

Many good QBs I agree, but NONE better than Mariota in last few years coming out (except RussWilson) at reading progressions.. Kid is calm and steps up in pocket and reads 1, 2 AND he finds his 3rd progression with ease...rare element at this age.

If you're evaluating football and only football, there's no better QB than Jameis in this draft.  To say otherwise is to be clouded by his off-field idiocy.

Yeah, no, he really doesnt.  He did the Seahawks, his old employer, a favor by taking their baggage off their hands so they could concentrate on another SB run.  This is all way too little, too late and it rightfully should open the discussion about; what the **** was he waiting for?  Plus, Percy isnt going to be a long term solution here...lets be honest.  This was purely doing his boys a favor and throwing something at the fans to keep them interested in an otherwise wasted season with no reason to watch this bore of a team.

Extending a player who he inherited is not impressive or praise worthy.  If he was any good at his job, he could have upgraded both positions, prior to the season and the Jets wouldnt be sitting her at 1-6 because their offense is completely inept and nobody can win one on one in the red zone.

The Jets roster, should have been improved drastically this offseason and the only new addition was Decker and some very average rookies.  I'm not going to praise a guy for trading for a malcontent mid-season, sitting at 1-6 when this sh*t should have been done in April.  And thats not even getting into the fact he's starting fringe roster players at corner.  

Idzik hates the Jets. 

If you're evaluating football and only football, there's no better QB than Jameis in this draft.  To say otherwise is to be clouded by his off-field idiocy.

Like I said, diff opinions. I like Mariota regardless of off field. I like his football IQ better. I like what Kiper wrote: 

ESPN's Mel Kiper now ranks Oregon redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota as the No. 1 prospect on his board.

FSU's Jameis Winston, now No. 3, previously claimed the top spot. "He's simply a terrifying QB to defend because he combines above-average accuracy and anticipation with an ability to get through his progressions and elite athleticism," Kiper writes. Rotoworld's Josh Norris also ranks Mariota No. 1 and believes the quarterback does not receive enough credit for how often he wins in the pocket.

Yeah, no, he really doesnt.  He did the Seahawks, his old employer, a favor by taking their baggage off their hands so they could concentrate on another SB run.  This is all way too little, too late and it rightfully should open the discussion about; what the **** was he waiting for?  Plus, Percy isnt going to be a long term solution here...lets be honest.  This was purely doing his boys a favor and throwing something at the fans to keep them interested in an otherwise wasted season with no reason to watch this bore of a team.

Extending a player who he inherited is not impressive or praise worthy.  If he was any good at his job, he could have upgraded both positions, prior to the season and the Jets wouldnt be sitting her at 1-6 because their offense is completely inept and nobody can win one on one in the red zone.

The Jets roster, should have been improved drastically this offseason and the only new addition was Decker and some very average rookies.  I'm not going to praise a guy for trading for a malcontent mid-season, sitting at 1-6 when this sh*t should have been done in April.  And thats not even getting into the fact he's starting fringe roster players at corner.  

Idzik hates the Jets. 

He wasn't available for a trade until now... 

He wasn't available for a trade until now... 

I'm not talking about just Percy Harvin.  Idzik had a sh*t ton of opportunity to upgrade for his QB and he failed miserably.  And all reports coming out are saying that Percy has been on the block for weeks now.

Idzik hates the Jets. 

I agree with your premise, however the bold is only part of the reason we are 1-6, which I'm pretty sure you get.

I'm not talking about just Percy Harvin.  Idzik had a sh*t ton of opportunity to upgrade for his QB and he failed miserably.  And all reports coming out are saying that Percy has been on the block for weeks now.

He has been and other teams gave them offers, but the jets gave them the best offer so when they were ready to deal them, he was dealt. 

Idzik hates the Jets. 

listen, if you were paying attention, and going by this post you weren't, the 1-6 season is all rex's fault. all praise idzik

I agree with your premise, however the bold is only part of the reason we are 1-6, which I'm pretty sure you get.

Of course.  I do think they'd have an extra win or two if they actually did right by Geno and gave him more than just Decker.  Too many settle for FG situations this year that could have changed games.  Especially when Decker went down...so did Geno.  Thats on Idzik and signing Percy midseason doesnt change that.

He has been and other teams gave them offers, but the jets gave them the best offer so when they were ready to deal them, he was dealt. 

I'm not just talking about Percy.

listen, if you were paying attention, and going by this post you weren't, the 1-6 season is all rex's fault. all praise idzik

Its cool.  We got Percy now, so all is forgiven.

Why resign Kerley To a 4 year deal for so much $$? He is at best a mediocre slot receiver whose lack of talent makes him slightly above a practice squad player. Now he's Going to be hard to get rid of...

And since we're on the subject of Idzik, the Harvin trade was a good one that will only cost us a fourth or sixth round pick - given Idzik's proven cluelessness in drafting in the late rounds, we definitely got a bargain. By the way, before we get too ahead of ourselves in praising Idzik, how about a cornerback?

Idzik hates the Jets. 

Idzik hates the Jets. 

The rest of the reason?

Of course.  I do think they'd have an extra win or two if they actually did right by Geno and gave him more than just Decker.  Too many settle for FG situations this year that could have changed games.  Especially when Decker went down...so did Geno.  Thats on Idzik and signing Percy midseason doesnt change that.

Not to mention Decker being hindered or out with the hamstring coinciding with the ugly stretch. When Decker is out there healthy, Geno looks like a different QB. When defenses only had to worry about Kerley and Ivory, they'd tee off on Geno and frankly, Geno looked like he didn't trust any of his options. Watching Decker get open is a thing of beauty compared to what we've been dealing with the past 10 years or so... 

Think about it, no matter who the coach, QB or WRs have been, the statement "why can't our WRs get separation?" has always been appropriate. 

Yeah - neither do I, really.  What do you suspect they may do?  Guarantee him a few dollars up front in order to take a sizeable cut on the annual?

I think they'd be looking at Decker's contract as something of a baseline. They could give Harvin a signing bonus and another year or two so that the total value is still over $40M (as a face-saving measure), but that the annual compensation -at least over the next four years- is more in line with Decker's $7.25M per. So if you give him $10M in bonus money, and salaries of $3, 5, 6, 6, & 7M, with maybe a $10M unguaranteed salary tacked on the end, he gets to say he has a $47M contract - but it's really just a four year/$30M from the Jets standpoint with a little over $3M in dead money if they decide to part ways at that time.

Idzik deserves no praise at this moment at all, none.

If Geno pans out, he will deserve some praise, if not, he will be gone after next year. Its really that simple. Trading for a guy who was about to be cut, is not praise worthy. I think it was a fine move, but the offense sucks, he is taking a very low risk gamble, there is nothing praise worthy about that.

I could care less about offense run, but look at tape and see if he can read Progressions,,, Progression reading (quickly) is MOST important forgotten element of NFL QB success. Jets scouts missed that part of Genos tape ;)

They have horse races because people are stupid degenerates. I bet a lot of Jets fans love the ponies

Not just scouts but Rex and Marty as well. Marty RAVED about Geno after his visit to W Va. I think it was more his "work ethic" than what he actually knows about football because it is clear that reading defenses comes very slowly to Geno. That means he is NOT the QB of next year, never mind the future. College football defenses are NOT NFL defenses so even if a QB can read defenses in college it is no guarantee he can at the next level. I doubt that any of us can guess at the level of success ANY college QB will have. I like the kid from Baylor - Bryce Petty myself.

All good points. Except the cost of deal for Harvin. Even if Harvin lights it up no team or atleast not many teams will line up for his services. So the JETS will have the mother of all leverages when they start to negotiate Harvin's contract and it should cost a lot, lot less.

Also another thing i expect as a result of JETS re-signing 3 WR's (if Harvin is signed). That is our RB's in the near future will be coming from the next few drafts and not the FA market. Nor do i see the JETS bringing CJ back or even signing Powell unless they get a bargain basement deal. I could see the JETS spending a 2nd to 4th round(if we still have it) pick on a RB in next years draft.

So the top threads on the board today look to be praising the 9-14 GM and legitimately debating if we should keep a coach that hasn't made the playoffs in 4 years.

Oh, to be a Jets fan. What a wonderful thing.

We celebrate 8-8 seasons like good teams celebrate Super Bowls

Agree but it begs the question on why Idzik would not have went after Desean during last off season instead. 

This is a very low risk move other than the team yet again giving it's young QB a malcontent at the WR position.

Regrdless, it still reeks of Idzik trying to fend off the media and fans questioning if he has the skills to be a GM.

They have horse races because people are stupid degenerates. I bet a lot of Jets fans love the ponies

Real degenerates go to horse fights.  This takes the best of cock fighting, bull fighting and the betting on the ponies.  Best experienced on the southern Philippines island of Mindanao where you run an equal risk of being kidnapped by Maoist guerrillas or Abu Sayyaf, or being hacked to death with a machete for giving the wrong person the stink-eye.  

I'm sorry bro - I can't find any praise in the dung clusters he let us put on the field this year and called them a receiving corps and defensive backfield.

His drafts have been about par with standard Jets drafts - which again deserve no praise. 

I do like the fact that he doesn't throw money around on "sincere possibilities" and overpriced F.A.'s - but you have to draft well to make that strategy work out.

I'm sorry bro - I can't find any praise in the dung clusters he let us put on the field this year and called them a receiving corps and defensive backfield.

His drafts have been about par with standard Jets drafts - which again deserve no praise. 

I do like the fact that he doesn't throw money around on "sincere possibilities" and overpriced F.A.'s - but you have to draft well to make that strategy work out.

We locked into 5 years of oblivion. Good news is idzik unlikely to leave a cap nightmare for the next guy. Look at what elway built.. Why not us? SOJ.

Archived