2015 Top FA WR Class

j4jets

I don't think there has ever been a free agency full of WRs as we may see in 2015. Incredible number of #1 and #2 WRs with several all-pro caliber WRs will hit the FA in 2015 as of now. Of course, several of these will sign long term extensions or get tagged before they even sniff the FA, but with this much talent, there are bound to be a few solid catches (pun intended). 

In no particular order:

1. DeMaryius Thomas - Probably the #2 WR in the NFL right now. With Julius Thomas, Wes Welker and Chris Harris also hitting the FA, there's a possibility he may end up in the FA. It may come down to one of DT or JT.

2. Dez Bryant - Cap strapped year again in BigD due to that giant contract they gave to Romo. I doubt Jerry lets him go though. He seems to have a man crush on him. Immature as he may be perceived, he has emerged as a leader in the Cowboys locker room.

3. Michael Crabtree - Another solid WR. I don't see how 49ers can sign him. Their cap figure will be at a staggering $148 mil in 2015 as of now. Gore and Mike Iupati will also be hitting FA along with several cuts. 

4. Jeremy Maclin - My favorite of the bunch. Eagles will also be low on cap space, but after letting DJax go this year, I doubt they let Maclin walk, even with Jordan and Cooper still on the team. He's on pace for almost a 1200 yard season with 9 TDs. 

5. Eddie Royal - Not the most dynamic WR, but at 5'10, he still manages to be a good redzone player. Chargers will have some space to work with, plus he won't demand a #1 contract. On the other hand, Chargers will have a few other players hitting FA so tough call here if he makes it to FA or not. I say 50/50.

6. Wes Welker - This Jet killer has lost a step and some more. His only chance of staying in Denver is if Manning is lobbying for him. I don't see it happening though. 

7. Hakeem Nicks - Signed a relatively small prove-it type deal at $4mil this year. So far he hasn't proven anything and probably won't stay a Colt beyond 2014.

8. Reggie Wayne - He has had a solid season so far and on pace for almost a 1k yard season (992 yards to be precise). Colts would be foolish to let him walk. At 36 years of age, he shouldn't cost mroe than 3-4 mil per.

9. Randall Cobb - With Jordy signing a long term deal, Packers may not be able to keep Cobb who is on pace for 1k season with 18 TD. 

10. Torrey Smith - Hasn't been as dynamic as last year and is on pace to only reach 700 yards with 9 TDs. He will have to improve his play in the coming weeks if he wants to get paid in 2015, although I doubt it will be from the Ravens who will also be cap strapped.

11. Cecil Shorts - With Justin Blackmon's future still up in the air and with Jags sitting nicely with a boatload of cap, I don't see why they let Cecil Shorts hit the FA. He's played a few games while not 100% this year but the talent is not a concern.

12. Andre Holmes - Another young WR that is just reaching his prime. Will not demand a big contract, but has potential. 

13. Larry Fitzgerald (under contract)- Just throwing it out there. He's due $16mil of salary n roster bonus in 2015 and I doubt the Cards keep him unless he restructures. He will be 34 next year and has been slowing down in recent times. His leaping ability, however, is still there and still has some gas left in the tank for another couple of decent years, although he may not reach 1k again.

14. Percy Harvin (under contract) - Due $10.5mil in 2015, he has to put up 600+ yards receiving in the last 9 games to have a shot at staying with this team, especially since there will be plenty of other options in the FA for a cheaper contract and no draft pick (he'll cost a 4th if we keep him). I doubt he stays a Jet if he goes for 500 yards in these 9 games due to the contract and draft pick compensation. 

Im sure I'm missing a few other WRs that may get cut due to cap implications, but as you can see, there will be a few starters hitting the FA. If we let Percy go, I'd like the Jets to target Maclin, Crabtree, or Cobb with Torrey Smith or Cecil Shorts being the fall back option. Obviously if DT or Dez hit FA, they should be our priority since they can make Geno look like a probowler (Andy Dalton- AJ. Green). 

Thoughts?

thomas or bryant would be freaking amazing but they are not going anywhere.  I do think cobb or t smith are realistic options unless we decide to draft one (cooper).

We need a WR that can produce right away. We also need a starting CB this off season and preferably not via draft. Hopefully Milliner can come back next yr and play at a level he did in December. Dex will replace Wilson, which will leave us CB2 spot to fill. We can't afford a rookie to come in and take his time. We need the best CB available this off season. Maybe Jets FO admits its mistake and bring in Revis. 

I think Jets need to pay attention to the OL this coming draft (assuming they sign WR and CB via FA). We've been relying on our two draft choices for years (Brick/Mangold). I know we've drafted a few OL here n there, but we may need to draft one higher in the draft to pick a possible stud. I do love Iupati and he'll fill a need too, in case we go that route. 

I'm perfectly happy with decker and a well-behaved restructured harvin. Maybe another, but not #1 money.

Id rather spend WR1 money on OL, LB. CB...and, of course, QB.

Taking QB situation out of it (because we're all sick of talking about it)...we need to address OL, LB, and CB. Why are people talking about $10 mil on a WR?

I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority thinking this, which surprises me.

We need a WR that can produce right away. We also need a starting CB this off season and preferably not via draft. Hopefully Milliner can come back next yr and play at a level he did in December. Dex will replace Wilson, which will leave us CB2 spot to fill. We can't afford a rookie to come in and take his time. We need the best CB available this off season. Maybe Jets FO admits its mistake and bring in Revis. 

I think Jets need to pay attention to the OL this coming draft (assuming they sign WR and CB via FA). We've been relying on our two draft choices for years (Brick/Mangold). I know we've drafted a few OL here n there, but we may need to draft one higher in the draft to pick a possible stud. I do love Iupati and he'll fill a need too, in case we go that route. 

I def agree on cb, rather get one in free agency then draft.  I also agree that we gotta fix up the line. We can oline heavy and linebackerr heavy in the draft, with a wr thrown in there either rd 1 or 2

Man I would love to have one of these guys on the team, especially Dez.  That would make our offense actually talented for once.  But for that, or any major deal with a WR to happen, Harvin would need to restructure his contract, Mo will have to give in a bit, and release Chris Johnson atleast.   

I think our needs are CB, WR, OL, and LB going into next year.  We need to knock off CB or WR before the draft, and focus on the others in the draft.  I don't think next year's free agents for CBs are all that strong once you look past the prodigal son.   And next year's CB class is decent I believe in the draft with Peters, Ekpre-Olumu, PJ Williams and Trey Wayne.   It might not be the best bet for next year to go for a top tier pick at CB again, but if WR is solved, then we have to take a shot at CB high and hope Milliner stays healthy.  Milliner is going to be a big part of the plan next year anyway, because of the high investment in him, so maybe a Milliner/Pick/Dex/Walls/Bargin Bin Free Agent signing might be the way we go.   

Depending on where we pick, I could see us going for OL first, and then hope a good CB drops to our second pick as well.  I'm not sure what we're doing with LB.  Maybe a third round pick like Davis again?  But he took a year before he really did anything I believe.  

The Jets didn't trade for Harvin without hoping he'd stick with the team and be worth the fourth rounder. If he does stick, it'll be for less money, but still decent money. With him, Decker, and Kerley all getting paid, they're not paying another free agent WR - especially a #1 type. They could go WR in the first round, still, as that player wouldn't be due to be paid until all these other guys come off the books - but the Jets haven't shown much desire to draft a WR that high.

Free agent CBs might be the place to look. It went from the most expensive position on the team to perhaps the least - and it's questionable whether Milliner and McDougle will ever contribute.

Well first they need to HAVE talent.

Chicken or egg, did we never have offensive talent under rex or did they never develop talent under rex? Rexs only success story is kerley and i guess powell--not a helluva resume. All other skill positions that made positive impact were finished products when they got here

Chicken or egg, did we never have offensive talent under rex or did they never develop talent under rex? Rexs only success story is kerley and i guess powell--not a helluva resume. All other skill positions that made positive impact were finished products when they got here

That Jalen Saunders sure was talented. Boyitellya the coaches sure messed that one up.

That Jalen Saunders sure was talented. Boyitellya the coaches sure messed that one up.

Gee you showed me by pointing to a recent abject failure. I will point out that genius boy made the decision to start him. He should saunter away from the field where defense practices once a week at least

Well first they need to HAVE talent.

Come on, just look at the long list of offensive playmakers drafted by Tannenbaum and Idzik, released by the Rex Ryan, and now feasting on the rest of the league. 

Archived