Titans frustrated with locker's injuries, bench him

jgb

I'm not sold on Locker at all, he has some potential, but he's wildly inconsistent with his throws.  He has one of the better WR crops, but he just doesn't do as well because he loves to run around a bit too much, which leads to a bunch of hard hits on him.  He was breaking out last year when we ended his season, but this year has been mediocre.  Whitehurst, pretty much a career backup came in and played much better with the same cast, so I wouldn't buy too much into Locker for good money.  I think he'll get a shot somewhere as a possible starter or in competition with a draft pick for a one year deal.  

I'm not sold on Locker at all, he has some potential, but he's wildly inconsistent with his throws. He has one of the better WR crops, but he just doesn't do as well because he loves to run around a bit too much, which leads to a bunch of hard hits on him. He was breaking out last year when we ended his season, but this year has been mediocre. Whitehurst, pretty much a career backup came in and played much better with the same cast, so I wouldn't buy too much into Locker for good money. I think he'll get a shot somewhere as a possible starter or in competition with a draft pick for a one year deal.

Lolwut? Way to go out on a limb.

I'm not sold on Locker at all, he has some potential, but he's wildly inconsistent with his throws. He has one of the better WR crops, but he just doesn't do as well because he loves to run around a bit too much, which leads to a bunch of hard hits on him. He was breaking out last year when we ended his season, but this year has been mediocre. Whitehurst, pretty much a career backup came in and played much better with the same cast, so I wouldn't buy too much into Locker for good money. I think he'll get a shot somewhere as a possible starter or in competition with a draft pick for a one year deal.

He was way overdrafted like Manuel, Ponder, and Gabbert. He's going to spend the rest of his career bouncing around between third QB gigs.

Lolwut? Way to go out on a limb.

I'm saying he looks a lot better than he really is because his surrounding cast was actually pretty good.  I wouldn't really want him as our backup because his ceiling is limited by his wildness, and he'll have people pay him enough money that I don't think he's worth it.  

He was way overdrafted like Manuel, Ponder, and Gabbert. He's going to spend the rest of his career bouncing around between third QB gigs.

Yeah, he was definitely overdrafted on potential.  He was a guy that wasn't good at completing passes in college, and they somehow thought he would really improve in the NFL.  They did surround him with some talent though.  I really like Hunter's potential for them.

And?

It's just a reflection of the negative tone and posting on this site, I swear half the posters here love the Jets to lose every week. Like half of them are upset we improved the WR position with the cheap Harvin trade. If he's good he cost us a 4th I.e J Saunders.

I really don't believe teams think this way midway through the season and if they do, the entire front office should be dismissed immediately. 

Couldn't disagree more on both counts. I believe smart teams (e.g. 2011 Colts) look to tank hard when a season is clearly lost and there's a potential franchise QB to be had in the draft. And I think such front offices are far more savvy than those who try and squeeze out an extra win or two in a lost season, which accomplishes nothing but hurting one's draft position.

It's just a reflection of the negative tone and posting on this site, I swear half the posters here love the Jets to lose every week. Like half of them are upset we improved the WR position with the cheap Harvin trade. If he's good he cost us a 4th I.e J Saunders.

I'm one of those who didn't like the trade, because it's a stupid move to make in a lost 1-6 season. It's not like we're 3-4 or something and still have a chance to make a run. There's no way we're going to make a run this year, so why hurt our draft position unnecessarily? We should've been sellers, not buyers - sell off older pieces that won't be a part of our long-term future (Brick, Mangold, Harris, etc) to teams in win-now mode in exchange for draft picks. It's also cap money spent that now can't be rolled over to next year to target a true #1 like a Dez or Demaryius - and yes, I realize we still have more than enough cap room to sign one of them, but we still have to sign Mo long-term, and it would've been nice to have that extra $7mm to spend on top FA's next year and try to make a serious run then. 

Couldn't disagree more on both counts. I believe smart teams (e.g. 2011 Colts) look to tank hard when a season is clearly lost and there's a potential franchise QB to be had in the draft. And I think such front offices are far more savvy than those who try and squeeze out an extra win or two in a lost season, which accomplishes nothing but hurting one's draft position.

I'm one of those who didn't like the trade, because it's a stupid move to make in a lost 1-6 season. It's not like we're 3-4 or something and still have a chance to make a run. There's no way we're going to make a run this year, so why hurt our draft position unnecessarily? We should've been sellers, not buyers - sell off older pieces that won't be a part of our long-term future (Brick, Mangold, Harris, etc) to teams in win-now mode in exchange for draft picks. It's also cap money spent that now can't be rolled over to next year to target a true #1 like a Dez or Demaryius - and yes, I realize we still have more than enough cap room to sign one of them, but we still have to sign Mo long-term, and it would've been nice to have that extra $7mm to spend on top FA's next year and try to make a serious run then. 

If a GM is worried about his draft position before week 8 he should immediately be relieved of his duties. 

The Colts didn't tank on purpose. You know how I know for a FACT that you are wrong about that? The GM and head coach were fired after the season. Nobody goes 2-14 on purpose. 

If a GM is worried about his draft position before week 8 he should immediately be relieved of his duties. 

The Colts didn't tank on purpose. You know how I know for a FACT that you are wrong about that? The GM and head coach were fired after the season. Nobody goes 2-14 on purpose. 

even if--a big if--the GM/HC have orders to tank it, the players all have every incentive in the world to play their hearts out. they have contracts and FA to worry about. so i guess it is possible for the team to bench starts in order to tank even if not injured (too obvious and the outrage would be insane like when shanny benched RGIII), or to purposefully scheme poorly but like you said that likely leads to getting canned. the best way to 'tank' is to play totally open like rams did against 'hawks--go for 4th downs and fake kicks/punts but hey sometimes that's how you win games against superior opponents!

It just is NEVER in Jets luck to have the top pick AND a sure fire blue chip QB there for the taking except when Bill Parcells passed on Peyton Manning - who would have come out after his junior year had Parcells committed to him. No big deal there eh? Oakland will have the top pick followed by Jacksonville, TB, Tennessee, Minnesota, St Louis, NYJ. Offensive lineman or WR.

Now you should be hoping Mettenberger plays well for the remainder of the season so that there'll be one less QB needy team come next year's draft.

Conversely, if he sh*ts the be we won't be starting the season with jake locker next season. 100 percent chance idzik gets locker if he isn't on TENN next season. Cheap? Check. Injury riddled history? Check. Not enough of a name where you can't get away with another bs pseudo-competition? Check.

Archived