Super Troll Manish Says Jets Fans Deserve a Refund

ZachEY

The Jets will reach the midpoint of a miserable season Sunday with plenty of reasons to give a break to their long-suffering fans.

Seven months after Woody Johnson claimed that he was “not going to use the word ‘patient’ anymore” because “our job is to perform for our audience,” general manager John Idzik has an altogether different timeline that strongly suggests that he was never fully committed to making a playoff push for Rex Ryan, the players or the paying customers in 2014.

The Jets entered the regular season with the second-largest salary-cap surplus ($20-plus million) and the lowest total cash spending ($95-plus million) in the NFL, embarrassing truths for an organization that has otherwise made an earnest effort to enhance the game day experience for fans.

The cap surplus has paying customers wondering if Idzik spent the spring and summer working on the Penske File rather than trying to actually help Ryan make the playoffs. His decision not to spend nearly enough this offseason has had a ripple effect that shouldn’t be ignored.

The Jets obviously couldn’t guarantee wins in 2014, but they should have put forth an honest effort to properly fill obvious weaknesses through free agency coming off an eight-win season. Idzik, who explored possible head coaching replacements late last season, plodded along and stored most of the financial resources at his disposal. His highly questionable choices have predictably been at the heart of the talent-strapped team’s horrible start.

The fans deserve better, and perhaps, more for the remaining four home games given that the general manager wasn’t fully invested in providing the necessary pieces for his head coach in 2014.

“I think they should consider reducing ticket prices,” said Robert Hochberg, who owns four season tickets in the Lexus Club ($295 per ticket). “They should consider off-setting some of the PSL costs.”

Hochberg, an entrepreneur, is also a realist. Although he’d appreciate a price break on the $60,000 in personal seat license fees, he understands the Jets aren’t likely to give such a discount.

In-season ticket price reductions, however, aren’t unprecedented.

The Yankees cited a slumping economy in April of 2009 before lowering ticket prices in expensive sections such as the Legends Suite. Forty percent of front-row seats (not coincidentally the ones prominently displayed on TV) were reduced by up to 50%.

The Bengals offered a buy-one-get-one-free promotion for a game late in the 2011 season to ensure a sellout. The Washington Nationals dropped prices for 2,000 upper-deck seats midway through the 2006 season when new ownership took over.

“A discount? In a perfect world, I would like to see that,” PSL holder Jeff Cummings said. “But I don’t think it is realistic in business. And, as we all know, I think the Jets are a business now.”

The Jets have the sixth-highest average non-premium ticket price in the NFL ($105.66), 25% more than the league average ($84.43), according to Team Marketing Report. The organization introduced a Rewards Program that gives season-ticket holders opportunities to win prizes and provides special offseason access to a draft party and town hall meetings, but it would be a good-faith gesture to offer something more now given the team’s poor play and the GM’s lack of urgency.

“Sweeten the pot a little bit,” said PSL holder John DelloRusso, a small-business owner and adjunct instructor at CUNY. “I’m not interested in membership rewards. This is not Best Buy. I don’t want any of that."

DelloRusso’s suggestion: Parking vouchers. The $25 parking rate can easily be reduced right now.

“It’s a simple gesture rather than taking back some of the PSL money,” DelloRusso said.

Idzik’s modus operandi is already wearing thin with Johnson’s customers.

“They say the weirdest things,” DelloRusso said. “If you listened to the remarks from Idzik (on Monday), you would have thought that Percy Harvin was going from a 1-6 team to a world championship team, when, in fact, it’s the direct opposite. There’s a big disconnect.”

Hochberg, who has invested in everything from movies to plays to horses, isn’t happy with his investment in an organization that missed so many opportunities this year to build a 2014 playoff contender. (Idzik had enough money to give extensions to key homegrown players and still have plenty left over to address deficiencies in free agency).

“I don’t necessarily think that Woody doesn’t want us to win,” Hochberg said. “I just don’t understand why they wouldn’t spend (in the offseason). The $20 million they didn’t spend, I don’t understand... The quarterback situation is insane. Not only isn’t he average, he’s (arguably) the worst quarterback in the league. The receiving situation last year was a joke. Their defensive backs are ridiculous. It’s just embarrassing.”

It takes a village to build a champion. It takes one plodding general manager without a personnel background to leave the paying customers wondering what the heck is going on with their team.

The Jets aren’t obligated to do anything midway through a forgettable season for season-ticket holders, but giving them a break in a tangible way right about now sure wouldn’t hurt.

Of course, in a competitive season, Manish would surely advocate for Woody Johnson to raise prices.  Logic following, and all.

Of course, in a competitive season, Manish would surely advocate for Woody Johnson to raise prices.  Logic following, and all.

Then why did you use the word "competitive" instead of winning.

Not that I like that douche - wtf he know about football and I didnt even read the dribble but you almost prove his point by not going out there and saying "winning" or god forbid "superbowl season" in your sentence.

We jets fans are conditioned to accept less - better next year, rebuilding, competitive, getting better, wait to u see us next year, etc...

He struggled to regain the strength in his eyeballs: to focus, to force them into clarity through the force of his desperation, then by begging them to work again, and when they finally came around well enough so he could see, he instantly wished he were blind. 

"Do you know me, Manish?," said the slender man standing in front of him. His voice was high-pitched, and trembled with what sounded like excitement. "I'll bet you know me, Manish--is it ok if I call you 'Manish,' by the way? I hope I'm pronouncing that right."

Manish wriggled in his chair, horrified to find that this was not a dream, and that he was, indeed, tied to a chair. And this was, indeed, a basement (he guessed as much during his waking blindness--the unmistakable smell of mold, and sewage, and damp concrete). He tried to put the pieces together now, figure out where he was. Was it the smell of a septic tank? That would mean he was in the suburbs. The suburbs? Was he underground? How high up on the wall were the mildew stains? Things he could tell the police, later, if he survived this.

"I'll bet you know me, Manish. But you know me by my other name, perhaps? It's stoicsentry, from JetNation.com. I know you read my opinion pieces on there, Manish. I know you read my letters, too--the ones I sent to you and your editor, complaining. Ha ha! God, I sent so many letters, Manish. Soooo many. Ha ha ha ha."

"Who...who are you?" the reporter replied nervously. "What the hell do you want?"

"It's crazy, Manish. I pulled up outside your office building and pretended I was Uber and, just like that, you got in the car. Like, just got in without even checking my credentials. That's not very smart, Manish."

"Just tell me what you WANT," the reporter said, louder now, stern.

"And all those people outside of your building, they all saw. They all saw me drive off with you and none of them even stopped to..."

"WHAT THE **** DO YOU WANT FROM ME!?"

"Do you know who Kitty Genovese is, Manish?"

With that, Manish cowered, sinking back into his chair. He was too young to know the story, but he remembered reading about Genovese in Freshman Psych. He remembered it not going well for Kitty, with all those people looking on.

"Oh, relax, Manish. I didn't bring you all the way out here to kill you. No, no. Quite the contrary, I brought you out here to apologize."

"A...uh..apologize for what?"

"Apologize for the LETTERS, Manish. For all those crazy, hurtful words I wrote about you. The things I said about you on the internet."

"On the internet? You kidnapped me to apologize for things you...wrote on the internet?"

"Yes, Manish. And the letters. I'm sorry. You were right the whole time. The whole ******* time."

He struggled to regain the strength in his eyeballs: to focus, to force them into clarity through the force of his desperation, then by begging them to work again, and when they finally came around well enough so he could see, he instantly wished he were blind. 

"Do you know me, Manish?," said the slender man standing in front of him. His voice was high-pitched, and trembled with what sounded like excitement. "I'll bet you know me, Manish--is it ok if I call you 'Manish,' by the way? I hope I'm pronouncing that right."

Manish wriggled in his chair, horrified to find that this was not a dream, and that he was, indeed, tied to a chair. And this was, indeed, a basement (he guessed as much during his waking blindness--the unmistakable smell of mold, and sewage, and damp concrete). He tried to put the pieces together now, figure out where he was. Was it the smell of a septic tank? That would mean he was in the suburbs. The suburbs? Was he underground? How high up on the wall were the mildew stains? Things he could tell the police, later, if he survived this.

"I'll bet you know me, Manish. But you know me by my other name, perhaps? It's stoicsentry, from JetNation.com. I know you read my opinion pieces on there, Manish. I know you read my letters, too--the ones I sent to you and your editor, complaining. Ha ha! God, I sent so many letters, Manish. Soooo many. Ha ha ha ha."

"Who...who are you?" the reporter replied nervously. "What the hell do you want?"

"It's crazy, Manish. I pulled up outside your office building and pretended I was Uber and, just like that, you got in the car. Like, just got in without even checking my credentials. That's not very smart, Manish."

"And all those people outside of your building, they all saw. They all saw me drive off with you and none of them even stopped to..."

With that, Manish cowered, sinking back into his chair. He was too young to know the story, but he remembered reading about Genovese in Freshman Psych. He remembered it not going well for Kitty, with all those people looking on.

"Oh, relax, Manish. I didn't bring you all the way out here to kill you. No, no. Quite the contrary, I brought you out here to apologize."

"Apologize for the LETTERS, Manish. For all those crazy, hurtful words I wrote about you. The things I said about you on the internet."

"On the internet? You kidnapped me to apologize for things you...wrote on the internet?"

"Yes, Manish. And the letters. I'm sorry. You were right the whole time. The whole ******* time."

poster child for automatic weapons ban

Tl;dr.

Then why did you use the word "competitive" instead of winning.

Not that I like that douche - wtf he know about football and I didnt even read the dribble but you almost prove his point by not going out there and saying "winning" or god forbid "superbowl season" in your sentence.

We jets fans are conditioned to accept less - better next year, rebuilding, competitive, getting better, wait to u see us next year, etc...

Ummm, wut?

you can't be defrauded if you know exactly what you are getting for your money. i certainly don't know any jets fans that are shocked that here we are again irrelevant in october.

Apparently a lot of fans had no idea what they were getting for their money. People act like by paying for tickets they are owed something more than entry into and a seat at the stadium on gameday.

Manish and his twitter poll are a big reason Rex is still here , Rex still here is a big reason we are putting a terrible product in the field, now manish wants refunds for that terrible product .....irony??

Manish save it you fraud , your worried about our money now??...manish and the rest of Rex's media army ..carton , cimini ..etc etc..are worried about Rex leaving because Rex = circus, easy access , media leaks etc, the media are not jet fans they don't care about wins , losses or our money...take a walk clown we all hate your guts there's no turning back.

Anyone who's anyone in this town reads The Post.

Exactly.  The Post rules.  The Daily News is a commie-pinko  propagandist mouthpiece.  Manish is probably a plant by the Chinese govt. to pollute our American way and our precious

bodily fluids.

Exactly. The Post rules. The Daily News is a commie-pinko propagandist mouthpiece. Manish is probably a plant by the Chinese govt. to pollute our American way and our precious

bodily fluids.

The Chinese government could do better than Manish, he seems more in line with North Korean reporting. Mindless made up drivel for an audience too dejected to tell the difference anymore.

Hate him as you all always do, but you know what? He's frigging right. Except, he should raise the blame one rung higher...the owner is the guy who says how much of HIS money to spend

So, you'd support price increases in good years?

Are you a real person?

there is only one thing to say.  rex is a communist.

k back to the real world, as in Real Madrid vs Barcelona in todya's Classico!rm won

it was nice to watch an actual dominat winning team.  poor messi.  anyway.  **** woody and his a$$hole jets.

So, you'd support price increases in good years?

It's a moot point as far as I am concerned. I live in Florida and will never have Jets tickets so I don't have the right to HAVE an opinion on that subject. What I'm saying is totally void of any opinion on that subject, what I am saying is that it's not Idzik who is the "problem" it's the guy who is allotting the money out to the General Manager  who is the one that is to blame.

Apparently a lot of fans had no idea what they were getting for their money. People act like by paying for tickets they are owed something more than entry into and a seat at the stadium on gameday.

Are you suggesting that those who are not happy with the quality of a particular product should opt not to purchase that product?  That's ridiculous.

Next thing you know, one of you nutjobs will start rambling on with some nonsensical mumbo-jumbo about that so-called "supply and demand" propaganda.  I'm on to you, buddy.

It's a moot point as far as I am concerned. I live in Florida and will never have Jets tickets so I don't have the right to HAVE an opinion on that subject. What I'm saying is totally void of any opinion on that subject, what I am saying is that it's not Idzik who is the "problem" it's the guy who is allotting the money out to the General Manager  who is the one that is to blame.

I just looked this up.  The team spending the most money in the league (Falcons) has one more win than us (2-5).

Also, this:

AFCE Division Leader: Pats: 32nd in spending

AFCN Division Leader: Ravens: 2nd in spending

AFCS Division Leader: Colts: 26th in spending

AFCW Division Leader: Broncos: 19th in spending

NFCE Division Leader: Cowboys: 29th in spending

NFCN Division Leader: Lions: 30th in spending

NFCS Division Leader: Panthers: 27th in spending

NFCW Division Leader: Cardinals: 12th in spending

So, only one division leader is even in the top 10 in spending.  Only 2 in the top half of the league.  5/8 are in the bottom 20% of the league in spending.

http://overthecap.com/cash-spending/

Archived