Even with Percy Harvin, Rex Ryan Favors the Run-- Interesting Mornhinweg comments

T0mShane

Even With Percy Harvin, Rex Ryan Favors the Run

By TOM PEDULLA

OCT. 23, 2014
Photo
CITY-JETS-master675.jpg

It is unclear how or how much the new Jet Percy Harvin will be used Sunday against the Bills. CreditRich Schultz/Associated Press

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — When Rex Ryan took over the Jets in 2009, he arrived with an emphasis on defense, long his area of expertise, and a “ground and pound” approach to offense. Even as the Jets’ second-year general manager, John Idzik, works to enliven the passing attack — wide receiver Percy Harvin was acquired last Friday — Ryan remains intent on moving the chains.

“If I had a choice to run it or throw it,” Ryan said after Thursday’s practice, “I’d like to run it.”

The Jets have run effectively, ranking fifth in the N.F.L., with an average of 135 rushing yards a game. But that has not kept them from a six-game losing streak.

Interestingly, Marty Mornhinweg, a veteran offensive coordinator in his second year with the Jets, offered a different philosophy.

“This game is about points — turnovers correlate heavily — and then big plays,” he said. “That is what it’s evolved to.” He was not present for Ryan’s earlier comment and was seemingly unaware of it.

Although the last six players the Jets drafted in the first round were on defense, Idzik’s most significant moves this year are clearly aimed at invigorating the passing game and giving the second-year quarterback Geno Smith a better supporting cast than that of his predecessor, Mark Sanchez.

The signing of the free agent Eric Decker to a five-year contract worth $36.25 million was followed by the drafting of tight end Jace Amaro in the second round. Decker, 27, is pacing the Jets in receiving yards with 323. He has pulled in 24 passes with three touchdowns. Amaro, chosen 49th over all, leads the Jets in catches with 27 for 234 yards and one touchdown.

Harvin’s acquisition from the Seattle Seahawks for a conditional draft choice was followed five days later by the signing of wide receiver Jeremy Kerley, 25, to a four-year contract extension totaling $16 million. Kerley has 22 receptions for 201 yards and a touchdown. He could have been an unrestricted free agent.

As bleak as the team’s 1-6 record may be heading into Sunday’s game against Buffalo at MetLife Stadium, Mornhinweg is encouraged by the big picture. “There are some exciting things going on here, and Percy Harvin is certainly one of them,” he said. “Percy is very talented, and he’s worked very hard since he got here.”

Although the Jets ran for 218 yards on the road in a 27-25 loss to the New England Patriots last week — their second 200-yard rushing effort of the season — few would debate the need for a dynamic player like Harvin.

“If you have guys who make big plays, crucial plays, at big moments, those are the teams that are winning,” guard Willie Colon said. “It is shocking that we got him. He was such a big factor for Seattle.”

Harvin, 26, showed how much he could affect a game with his standout performance in helping Seattle dismantle the Denver Broncos, 43-8, at MetLife Stadium in Super Bowl XLVIII. He set the tone by scampering 30 yards on a sweep on his team’s second play from scrimmage. He all but dashed the Broncos’ hopes when he raced 87 yards with the second-half kickoff in finishing with 137 all-purpose yards.

Harvin, though, was not the factor he was expected to be this season. He caught 22 passes for 133 yards to go with 11 rushes for 92 yards and a score. The Jets remain coy about how they will use him against Buffalo or how often. The Bills have one of the league’s stoutest defensive fronts and rank second in the A.F.C. against the rush, limiting opponents to 80.4 yards a game.

Harvin will be featured on kick returns. Thomas McGaughey, the special-teams coordinator, did not rule out that Harvin might handle punts, something he did not do when he entered the league with the Minnesota Vikings in 2009 — when he was the offensive rookie of the year — or after he was dealt to Seattle before the 2013 season.

McGaughey noted that the mechanics required to catch kickoffs were very different from what they were on punts. But he said, “I don’t have reservations about any of his skill sets.”

Mornhinweg was still assessing how much of a workload Harvin could bear and said he would continue to weigh that until game day. “Too much is just as bad as not enough in certain situations,” he said. “There’s a real fine line there.”

Mornhinweg noted that the emphasis on drafting or obtaining players who represented big threats with every touch was hardly new. “If you look at this game, it’s been this way for some time,” he said. “Some people were ahead of the curve.”

His last quote there, about drafting players who are "big threats," makes you wonder if he was the voice behind the Jalen Saunders pick. Saunders, believe it or not, was a big play guy in college (averaged 21 ypr on 50 catches one year, 15 ypr overall).

Percy Harvin averages 6.6 yards per carry and Geno kinda sucks. Even when Mornhinwig talks about it being about points, he's forced to concede that turnovers play a factor. And big plays. Hopefully Harvin can provide a couple of those. If the Jets can move the ball without turning it over, that should be viewed as a positive.

If he was talking about throwing it all over the field with Geno at QB, we'd be talking about how delusional he is.

Percy Harvin averages 6.6 yards per carry and Geno kinda sucks. Even when Mornhinwig talks about it being about points, he's forced to concede that turnovers play a factor. And big plays. Hopefully Harvin can provide a couple of those. If the Jets can move the ball without turning it over, that should be viewed as a positive.

If he was talking about throwing it all over the field with Geno at QB, we'd be talking about how delusional he is.

I think he was referring to his own team not getting turnovers, making his offense drive the length of the field every single time.

How about Rex worries about his defense forcing a turnover and not setting that record for futility.

I honestly don't think Rex has any involvement with the offense at all, so he just throws out these generalities that Mornhinweg regularly contradicts.

I think he was referring to his own team not getting turnovers, making his offense drive the length of the field every single time.

You don't think Mornhinweg was aware that the Pat game was the first game all year Geno didn't turn the ball over? Maybe he's talking about both turning it over and getting takeaways, but there's no way he's not referencing his own unit holding onto the football.

You don't think Mornhinweg was aware that the Pat game was the first game all year Geno didn't turn the ball over? Maybe he's talking about both turning it over and getting takeaways, but there's no way he's not referencing his own unit holding onto the football.

Oh, no, I'm sure he's referencing both. He's talking about the general philosophy of the game as it's played today. Nobody plays three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust anymore. It's all about sacks, turnovers, and getting downfield in the fewest number of plays possible.

Rex would have been a great HC in the 1950's.

The last team to predictably run the ball on first and second down and be successful was the 1990 NY Giants. and that was with Hostetler at qb and 75 year old OJ Anderson at running back. that was 24 years ago :) you have to throw the ball in the modern era, and not only on 3rd and 12 and 2nd and 15 with a sh*tty qb like Geno.

Rex is really really smart. he shouldnt utter a word when it comes to the offensive side of the ball. he is clueless.

That's because the Jets are always behind, genius.

so marty is free to call the game the way he sees fit and when you think about it it's better to have a lead and run the clock out and  this thread is dumb

thanks for proving my point

Rexs philosophy can work in the NFL but it requires too many things the Jets do not have. One is it requires a capable QB that can convert on 3rd and short and not turn the ball over. Two it requires a very physical offensive line. Third it requires a stellar defense. The Jets dont have any of those qualities. 

Rexs problem is what happens with him seemingly every year. He gives the OC the ability to do whatever he wants. Then the offense had a few bad turnovers and Rex completely goes into a shell because he blames the offense rather than the defense. More often than not the Jets simply cant stop anyone with a pulse on offense butI think Ryan has a hard time conceding that.

Ill need to double check my numbers but Jets opponents are averaging something like 114 yards for every touchdown they score.  Thats ridiculously easy and worst in the NFL. Thats partially on turnovers but its also a complete inability to hold people to field goals. They are third worst in the NFL on offense at 196 yards needed per TD (Buffalo and Pittsburgh are the only teams less efficient). You cant be at two extremes in that category and hope to win. The whole team needs a shakeup on both sides of the ball.

*** RED ALERT****   ******RED ALERT*****

through intense investigation, it has been discovered that a defensive head coach prefers a low risk conservative offensive game plan, yet allows his playcaller to adjust to in-game situations

this breaking news needs to be taken out of the shadows !!!

tell your friends !!!

get the word out on social media !!!!

Ill need to double check my numbers but Jets opponents are averaging something like 114 yards for every touchdown they score.

They are third worst in the NFL on offense at 196 yards needed per TD (Buffalo and Pittsburgh are the only teams less efficient).

yeah but the only reason we're so competitive in spite of all that is because of rex so if you really think about it these stats work in his favor

Yeah so I listened to that pc the other day and this is a classic case of quote taken out of context. What this article doesn't tell you is that was a tail end tongue and cheek line he added after he had just gotten done explaining why ground and pound was dead.

Sorry Tom.. you can't fool the informed.

Rex wants to run it, cause he saw how bad Geno sucks. He had front row seats. 

Honestly I'm surprised we're not running it more. Everyone seems to buy into this retarded notion that Rex forces his OC's to run the ball, but when you look at the Jets offenses under past oc's and Marty, we tend to throw the ball a lot. Which is pretty retarded considering we have sh*t qbs.

I honestly don't think Rex has any involvement with the offense at all, so he just throws out these generalities that Mornhinweg regularly contradicts.

Rex also clearly over rates his defense, a very good one being a necessary component of a ground and pound team being successful

Oh, no, I'm sure he's referencing both. He's talking about the general philosophy of the game as it's played today. Nobody plays three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust anymore. It's all about sacks, turnovers, and getting downfield in the fewest number of plays possible.

Teams simply cannot just go out and run the ball all day like they did 20 years ago.  Even the Cowboys with Emmitt had big play receivers.  You have to engage the safeties.  You have to draw some double coverage on someone too.  I just read that Collision Low Crossers.  I do not know what Rex does but he does not really even look in on the offense.  Tragic.

Honestly I'm surprised we're not running it more. Everyone seems to buy into this retarded notion that Rex forces his OC's to run the ball, but when you look at the Jets offenses under past oc's and Marty, we tend to throw the ball a lot. Which is pretty retarded considering we have sh*t qbs.

This is a true statement.

His last quote there, about drafting players who are "big threats," makes you wonder if he was the voice behind the Jalen Saunders pick. Saunders, believe it or not, was a big play guy in college (averaged 21 ypr on 50 catches one year, 15 ypr overall).

One way or another, is anyone suppose to pretend to give a sh*t about this? This ship has sunk. 

Archived