Poll - Do you think Eric Mangini will ever get another HC job in the NFL?

TuscanyTile2

28 members have voted

1. 1. Well, will he?

I would think not, but I spoke to a former player about him recently and asked him fllat out if Mangini was a guy who had a hard time winning over a locker room having never played in the league. The player said absolutely not. He said Mangini is a great X's and O's guy and it jumps out at you the second he starts talking. Fully endorsed him and said he thinks he's a very good coach who just didn't get the results but said "there are a lot of good coaches that things don't work out for".

I would think not, but I spoke to a former player about him recently and asked him fllat out if Mangini was a guy who had a hard time winning over a locker room having never played in the league. The player said absolutely not. He said Mangini is a great X's and O's guy and it jumps out at you the second he starts talking. Fully endorsed him and said he thinks he's a very good coach who just didn't get the results but said "there are a lot of good coaches that things don't work out for".

I like Mangini, but this is surprising to hear. Good info, you insider you.

I talked to LC one night last year popping bottles at the club. He said Mangini was a hard guy to like and play for...he then said he talked to Revis and Revis told him playing for Schiano was worse than playing for Mangini, so obviously this was a shared feeling around the lockerrom.

The NFL coaching fraternity is a small world, and Mangini is definitely in it.  He would have to either go to a college and do great there for several years, or become the DC somewhere and put together a great defense.  Then he will have a good shot at head coach, his previous failures will be chalked up as his being young and inexperienced.

Do I think he'll do it?  I think he has maybe a 33% chance.

It's easy to like a coach at first who wears wigs at press conferences and boyitellyas all day but in the end sustainable respect is earned by competence

Problem with Mangini's is that he tried to imitate Parcells' style of coaching, not realizing that when it comes to the way you treat your players, Parcells can probably get away with things that a young coach like him can't get away with. Parcells could insult one of his players and press their buttons, because, well, he's Parcells. When a twit like Mangini's tries to do it, the player is just going to get mad at him and feel he's being disrespected, Belidick, btw, ran into the same problem with the Browns.

Eric Mangini couldn't win the AFC East with Brett Favre as his quarterback when Tom Brady was out for the year. **** him.

Unfortunately, Farve's shoulder was out for the 2nd half of that year as well.

Eric Mangini couldn't win the AFC East with Brett Favre as his quarterback when Tom Brady was out for the year. **** him.

Well apparently the Jets 'were' winning the division until Favre got injured 2/3rd into the season, but I'm sure that didn't show up in the standings.

I have a friend who played for him and he backed this up also, said he was one of the smartest football minds he was ever around. And that he paid attention to every little detail. Nothing the other team did ever surprised u, because he was so prepared.

Some guys just aren't meant to be head coaches though.

I thought he was pretty good, Mangenius and all... that first year we were the surprise of the league when we made the playoffs... then I read later the criticism by Revis, and somebody posted a great diary of a tight end who tried to make the team in Cleveland and said brutal things about Mangini... and I figured that he must be a real prick and nobody wants to play for him... but if he has the coaching skills, all that other stuff concerning his interactions with players and general demeanor can be worked on (like Terry Collins changed a little, for example). He can tone down the disciplinarian angle, and if he gets another shot, may do it right next time.

Tried to trade up for Matt Leinart. To go all the way from 29 into the top 10, Lord knows what we were offering in trade.

Then after he & Tannenbaum couldn't get that done, trades up to draft Kellen Clemens. ANY of the next 13 consecutive players taken at the bottom of round 2 would have been a better one.

Next pick was Anthony Schlegel, who

Mangini felt possessed Jets core values. He lasts 1 season despite being a higher 3rd round pick (and the team having a need at his position, hence his selection).

Drafted Gholston. The biggest bust in the history of a team that was already a national joke in the draft without that selection. This pick (with the $20M+ guaranteed priceta), was half made to teach Bryan Thomas a lesson for dogging it under Mangini's watch (after he was given a huge contract himself for finally having half a good season).

Traded up for Keller instead of just staying pat and drafting Jordy Nelson (plus another player he could have drafted with the pick surrendered).

Trades for the all time NFL interception leader in August and makes him run a lap if he throws a pick in practice.

Advocated picking up Pace with $20M guaranteed (ludicrous $ for a player of his accomplishments at the time).

People give lots of credit for picking Leon Washington, but few bring up Brandon Marshall went 2 picks later. But hey, we didn't need a WR because we'd just taken Brad Smith. Others taken after that include Elvis Dumervil and Kyle Williams. At least we made up for that by taking Jason Pociask next.

Then in the last round of that draft missed another receiver who practiced right at Hofstra for years (Colston). Fluke pick, of course, but of all NFL teams we should have seen it since we were right there. At least we got Titus Adams, who didnt fit on Mangini's D even if he wasn't useless. Say it's only a 7th rounder, except this was the compensation for trading down in round 3.

#Mangenius

Pretty sure Tangini tried trading up for Cutler, maybe Leinert too, but they made a big push for Cutler.

At the end of the day, when Mangini left, he left the team with an Oline that was so dominant that the offense was successful with a Rookie Sanchez, who was horrid. A dominant D line, and one of the best CB's to ever play the game. He had plenty of big misses, as our resident GM has alluded to, but he also left the team in far better shape than it is today.

If Rex leaves this year, he will be leaving the team with an O line that needs to be completely rebuilt, a dominant D line, and little else.

Mangini had his flaws, but he was far better than Rex in just about every way other than Defensive game planning.

Tried to trade up for Matt Leinart. To go all the way from 29 into the top 10, Lord knows what we were offering in trade.

Then after he & Tannenbaum couldn't get that done, trades up to draft Kellen Clemens. ANY of the next 13 consecutive players taken at the bottom of round 2 would have been a better one.

Next pick was Anthony Schlegel, who

Mangini felt possessed Jets core values. He lasts 1 season despite being a higher 3rd round pick (and the team having a need at his position, hence his selection).

Drafted Gholston. The biggest bust in the history of a team that was already a national joke in the draft without that selection. This pick (with the $20M+ guaranteed priceta), was half made to teach Bryan Thomas a lesson for dogging it under Mangini's watch (after he was given a huge contract himself for finally having half a good season).

Traded up for Keller instead of just staying pat and drafting Jordy Nelson (plus another player he could have drafted with the pick surrendered).

Trades for the all time NFL interception leader in August and makes him run a lap if he throws a pick in practice.

Advocated picking up Pace with $20M guaranteed (ludicrous $ for a player of his accomplishments at the time).

People give lots of credit for picking Leon Washington, but few bring up Brandon Marshall went 2 picks later. But hey, we didn't need a WR because we'd just taken Brad Smith. Others taken after that include Elvis Dumervil and Kyle Williams. At least we made up for that by taking Jason Pociask next.

Then in the last round of that draft missed another receiver who practiced right at Hofstra for years (Colston). Fluke pick, of course, but of all NFL teams we should have seen it since we were right there. At least we got Titus Adams, who didnt fit on Mangini's D even if he wasn't useless. Say it's only a 7th rounder, except this was the compensation for trading down in round 3.

#Mangenius

Wow.

Pretty sure Tangini tried trading up for Cutler, maybe Leinert too, but they made a big push for Cutler.

At the end of the day, when Mangini left, he left the team with an Oline that was so dominant that the offense was successful with a Rookie Sanchez, who was horrid. A dominant D line, and one of the best CB's to ever play the game.

If Rex leaves this year, he will be leaving the team with an O line that needs to be completely rebuilt, a dominant D line, and little else.

Mangini had his flaws, but he was far better than Rex in just about every way other than Defensive game planning.

That's the issue. Considering he was a DC with dick head it sure didn't translate to the Jets let alone the Browns.

I don't recall him getting any interviews for DC after the Browns...

That's the issue. Considering he was a DC with dick head it sure didn't translate to the Jets let alone the Browns.

I don't recall him getting any interviews for DC after the Browns...

Mangini was actually a HC, he did not focus solely on the Defense. He actually wanted to bring in Rob Ryan to run his defense, and wanted to get rid of Schitty. Ryan would have been a good move, so would getting rid of Schitty.

The HC does not need to be a defensive mastermind to be a good HC.

Mangini was very young when he took the Jets job, and needed to improve on a lot of things for sure, but he was much better than Rex was as a HC.

Mangini was actually a HC, he did not focus solely on the Defense. He actually wanted to bring in Rob Ryan to run his defense, and wanted to get rid of Schitty. Ryan would have been a good move, so would getting rid of Schitty.

The HC does not need to be a defensive mastermind to be a good HC.

Mangini was very young when he took the Jets job, and needed to improve on a lot of things for sure, but he was much better than Rex was as a HC.

I realize this but if you were a DC before he needed to add some of his theories to stabilize a weak D.

I guess my point is he wasn't much of a DC to begin with...

Archived