For those of you ready to kick geno to the curb and draft mariota

bealeb319

im getting sick of people who are crying for us to draft mariota. first off I believe we have a qb who may never be elite but will be good enough. first off mariota is a duel threat qb he does a lot of running meaning he is more likely to get injured, second there are not many qbs who like to scramble and end up being successful in the league (im not talking about scrambles that can be seen by aaron Rodgers where he will run if no one is open and he has a clear lane for a first down then he slides) but more along the lines of  rg3 where he will sometimes run before checking for all other options. you can argue russel Wilson however he is a bit different in that once he begins to run he will still look down field to see if anyone is open before going into a full scramble. that being said duel threat qbs are fun to watch but if you really want to win you want a more traditional quarterback as they are typically more reliable (how many of the qbs in the elite bracket are duel threat qbs?) the other thing is any qb that we bring in is going to need time to build up a tolerance for the jets fan base who are quick to scream for the next guy up after a qb plays one bad game. I honestly think geno is going to develop still and we need to give him a little more time and be patient with him. atleast give him until the end of the season and see what he can do now that we have a couple of players who can catch the ball. that being said im just going to leave you all with some statistics to add some perspective to this.

payton manning rookie year 1998 3739 yards 26 td 28 int 3 fumbles / tom brady first full year 2001 2843 18 td 12 int 13 fumbles / drew brees 2002 first full year 3284 yards 17 td 16int / Philip rivers 2006 first full year 3388 yards 22 td 9int 8 fumbles / Andrew Luck rookie year 2012 4374 yards 23 td 18int 10 fumbles / geno smith 2013 rookie year 3046 yards 12 td 21 int 8 fumbles.

*note that the fumbles listed are not all fumbles lost but all total fumbles by the qb

before anyone goes crazy I want to make it clear that by no means do I think geno will ever be as good as any of these guys. but the point I am trying to make is these guys who are or will be in the elite bracket did not get there overnight their first seasons they looked nothing like the future hall of famers who they are now and if you guys really want a good qb regardless of who it is you need to give them time to develop and stop screaming that they suck and we need to replace them every year to every other year. Geno has not even played 1 and a half seasons yet in the NFL and it is ridiculous to already kick him to the curb.

alright anyway I am done so go ahead and bring on the trolls.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im getting sick of people who are crying for us to draft mariota. first off I believe we have a qb who may never be elite but will be good enough. first off mariota is a duel threat qb he does a lot of running meaning he is more likely to get injured, second there are not many qbs who like to scramble and end up being successful in the league (im not talking about scrambles that can be seen by aaron Rodgers where he will run if no one is open and he has a clear lane for a first down then he slides) but more along the lines of rg3 where he will sometimes run before checking for all other options. you can argue russel Wilson however he is a bit different in that once he begins to run he will still look down field to see if anyone is open before going into a full scramble. that being said duel threat qbs are fun to watch but if you really want to win you want a more traditional quarterback as they are typically more reliable (how many of the qbs in the elite bracket are duel threat qbs?) the other thing is any qb that we bring in is going to need time to build up a tolerance for the jets fan base who are quick to scream for the next guy up after a qb plays one bad game. I honestly think geno is going to develop still and we need to give him a little more time and be patient with him. atleast give him until the end of the season and see what he can do now that we have a couple of players who can catch the ball. that being said im just going to leave you all with some statistics to add some perspective to this.

payton manning rookie year 1998 3739 yards 26 td 28 int 3 fumbles / tom brady first full year 2001 2843 18 td 12 int 13 fumbles / drew brees 2002 first full year 3284 yards 17 td 16int / Philip rivers 2006 first full year 3388 yards 22 td 9int 8 fumbles / Andrew Luck rookie year 2012 4374 yards 23 td 18int 10 fumbles / geno smith 2013 rookie year 3046 yards 12 td 21 int 8 fumbles.

*note that the fumbles listed are not all fumbles lost but all total fumbles by the qb

before anyone goes crazy I want to make it clear that by no means do I think geno will ever be as good as any of these guys. but the point I am trying to make is these guys who are or will be in the elite bracket did not get there overnight their first seasons they looked nothing like the future hall of famers who they are now and if you guys really want a good qb regardless of who it is you need to give them time to develop and stop screaming that they suck and we need to replace them every year to every other year. Geno has not even played 1 and a half seasons yet in the NFL and it is ridiculous to already kick him to the curb.

Eye test Bro, he just doesn't pass it!

im getting sick of people who are crying for us to draft mariota. first off I believe we have a qb who may never be elite but will be good enough. first off mariota is a duel threat qb he does a lot of running meaning he is more likely to get injured, second there are not many qbs who like to scramble and end up being successful in the league (im not talking about scrambles that can be seen by aaron Rodgers where he will run if no one is open and he has a clear lane for a first down then he slides) but more along the lines of  rg3 where he will sometimes run before checking for all other options. you can argue russel Wilson however he is a bit different in that once he begins to run he will still look down field to see if anyone is open before going into a full scramble. that being said duel threat qbs are fun to watch but if you really want to win you want a more traditional quarterback as they are typically more reliable (how many of the qbs in the elite bracket are duel threat qbs?) the other thing is any qb that we bring in is going to need time to build up a tolerance for the jets fan base who are quick to scream for the next guy up after a qb plays one bad game. I honestly think geno is going to develop still and we need to give him a little more time and be patient with him. atleast give him until the end of the season and see what he can do now that we have a couple of players who can catch the ball. that being said im just going to leave you all with some statistics to add some perspective to this.

payton manning rookie year 1998 3739 yards 26 td 28 int 3 fumbles / tom brady first full year 2001 2843 18 td 12 int 13 fumbles / drew brees 2002 first full year 3284 yards 17 td 16int / Philip rivers 2006 first full year 3388 yards 22 td 9int 8 fumbles / Andrew Luck rookie year 2012 4374 yards 23 td 18int 10 fumbles / geno smith 2013 rookie year 3046 yards 12 td 21 int 8 fumbles.

UH, THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE DOING. AND IT'S CRAP.

The "Good QB X had a rough patch, therefore SMith/Sanchez will be as good". IS NONSENSE.

Give us the legion of Klinglers, Leafs, Russells,Marinovichs, Dave Browns,et al(who mostly sucked and never got it) who are far more numerous than than the good ones. Because this nonsense argument has been getting made around here for 6 years and NOBODY ever tells us those awful numbers. And those are Geno Smith's true comparables. May be you should start with those stats and then get back to us.

All I got from this was that you never watched Mariota play. I believe last night he just passed Andrew Luck's td record in the pac 12. 

And in case any one of you idiots respond with a comment about how he plays in a gimmick offense, must I remind you that his team sucks. Seriously everyone dick rides Winston when the dude has the most talented team in the nation. Matt Leinart/Sanchez 2.0. Seriously who the hell does Mariota have? A crap o line that is injury plagued? 

you can only use "first off" once. after that if you insist of continuing to number your points it's second, third, fourth etc.......

now:

first off: your points are not good

second: instead of numbering them incorrectly you should have considered not making them at all

First, no reason to kick Geno to the curb to get another QB, you should get the best guy available next year, and hope that one of them is good, if its Geno, great, if the other guy, great. First off, you should always be trying to improve your QB situation until you find a true franchise guy, whatever it takes. And to begin with, you should never be afraid of having too many good QB's. And to start, you can always trade a quality QB for likely more than you gave up for him, they are that rare.

I want Crab legs Winston. He's the pro style QB. A gamer, gunslinger. Unfazed by pressure....rises to the occasion.....pre snap reads...goes through progressions....and can take off if all else fails. Forget the shenanigans, he's worth the risk.

Really torn. Crab Legs is physically the best. But he's gonna be an off field disaster.Winston despite great talent is a dumbass. A GM has to decide; is it gonna be a Rothliseberger type livable situation or Leaf/Schlichter/Russell/marinovich levels of recurring bad stuff.

Really torn. Crab Legs is physically the best. But he's gonna be an off field disaster.Winston despite great talent is a dumbass. A GM has to decide; is it gonna be a Rothliseberger type livable situation or Leaf/Schlichter/Russell/marinovich levels of recurring bad stuff.

He's a dumbass for sure. In the locker room and on the field he's their unquestioned leader. Took over as a redshirt freshman on a team loaded with nfl players. Worth the risk.

He's a dumbass for sure. In the locker room and on the field he's their unquestioned leader. Took over as a redshirt freshman on a team loaded with nfl players. Worth the risk.

He's looked terrible. He doesn't prepress through reads. He panics. That throw off his back foot for an INT against Notre Dame was laughable. He's not ready and no thanks.

Archived