2015 Coaching Candidates

Gen X Jet

My updated hopeful 2015 Jet coaching candidates (I am of the opinion that we do not go the route of 1st time HC):

1) Norv Turner: 35 points against a good Dolphins D today. Proven winner (except for postseason)

2) Doug Marrone I really hope the Bills new owner wants to bring in his own crew. This guy seems like a long term keeper.

3) Pat Shumur- No one can win with Suckchez.

If the Jets do decide to go the first time HC route:

Ben McAdoo- Giants O clicking on all cylinders. Snatch this guy while the Giants make the mistake of keeping Coughlin.

This is a terrible list. Why?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My updated hopeful 2015 Jet coaching candidates (I am of the opinion that we do not go the route of 1st time HC):

1) Norv Turner: 35 points against a good Dolphins D today.  Proven winner (except for postseason)

2) Doug Marrone I really hope the Bills new owner wants to bring in his own crew.  This guy seems like a long term keeper.

Ben McAdoo- Giants O clicking on all cylinders.  Snatch this guy while the Giants make the mistake of keeping Coughlin.

My eyes.....

1) Norv Turner: 35 points against a good Dolphins D today.  Proven winner (except for postseason)

2) Doug Marrone I really hope the Bills new owner wants to bring in his own crew.  This guy seems like a long term keeper.

Ben McAdoo- Giants O clicking on all cylinders.  Snatch this guy while the Giants make the mistake of keeping Coughlin.

Giants are grooming him to take over when Coughlin leaves, so I don't know that he wouldn't just prefer to wait a year for the Giants job. But I wouldn't hate the idea, especially if we paired him with Eliot Wolf as our next GM, who worked with McAdoo when they were in Green Bay together.

Westhoff would be the ideal fit.

He is a grizzled take no $hit hard @$$ on his players.

You don't need to be a offensive/defensive scheme "genius" to be a HC in the NFL, you need to be a manager of people and let your staff specialize to run their respective units. HC has to create order, discipline, & accountability, unlike the incumbent.

Welty can handle the NY Media and is VERY experienced with the AFC East

Nicholas Lou Saban, Jr.

The same Nick Saban that cries, and complains that the no huddle hurry up offense that Chip Kelly, and New England run should be illegal?  Really you want another dinosaur in terms of thinking how the game should be played as our next HC?  Sure that works when you have the equivalant of an All Pro team VS the equivalant of the TB Bucs every week like he does in college, but not here in this NFL, and he already proved he can't handle the NFL, and actually quit look a ******* loser when the job hit a rough patch, NO THANK YOU!

I don't get the call for guys like Pat Shumur or any of the coordinators who have come from New England over the years. How many times do Belichicks/Brady coordinators have to fail as head coaches before we learn? Why Schumer? He's already a failed head coach, and the Eagles offense isn't his. Chip Kelly is the architect he's the visionary

Westhoff would be the ideal fit.

He is a grizzled take no $hit hard @$$ on his players.

You don't need to be a offensive/defensive scheme "genius" to be a HC in the NFL, you need to be a manager of people and let your staff specialize to run their respective units. HC has to create order, discipline, & accountability, unlike the incumbent.

Welty can handle the NY Media and is VERY experienced with the AFC East

I agree. I like westoff. the units he has coached always seemed to have done better than most. already very familiar with the team,which is a huge plus. has stated he would return to coaching if the right oppurtunity presented itself. hasn't been away that long to create the rust. I would at least kick the tires on him

I agree. I like westoff. the units he has coached always seemed to have done better than most. already very familiar with the team,which is a huge plus. has stated he would return to coaching if the right oppurtunity presented itself. hasn't been away that long to create the rust. I would at least kick the tires on him

Westy is a true FOOOTBALL COACH.

His ST units were always in the top ten and his units never showed the ineptness the current Jets do.

Mulligan said it best on HardKnocks: Westhoff doesn't play.

Mike Shanahan was on ESPN yesterday saying he'd like to be back with the "right organization". I wouldn't shut the door on him. In terms of his philosophy on offense, his ridiculous experience, the zone blocking, his experience with athletic QB's and being able to manage a team...it might be a good fit. Even though there's some things I don't like about him. But he could be a good fit here in NY. Being able to handle the media and everything that goes with it is just as big as coaching this team. Some no name defensive coordinator / rookie HC wouldn't be able to handle it. They'd crumble after a few losses in their 1st season. Look at Jay Gruden in Washington. The only reason he's still there is because they're stuck with him for another 4 or 5 years. Maybe Shanahan can be the next Coughlin/John Fox.

Mike Shanahan was on ESPN yesterday saying he'd like to be back with the "right organization". I wouldn't shut the door on him. In terms of his philosophy on offense, his ridiculous experience, the zone blocking, his experience with athletic QB's and being able to manage a team...it might be a good fit. Even though there's some things I don't like about him. But he could be a good fit here in NY. Being able to handle the media and everything that goes with it is just as big as coaching this team. Some no name defensive coordinator / rookie HC wouldn't be able to handle it. They'd crumble after a few losses in their 1st season. Look at Jay Gruden in Washington. The only reason he's still there is because they're stuck with him for another 4 or 5 years. Maybe Shanahan can be the next Coughlin/John Fox.

I wouldnt mind this, either. But we're in the minority.

I would like Shanahan too. Would be second to Payton on my list. I dont hold anything that happens to anyone who works for Dan Snyder against them.

Sean Payton 

There really is not a close second for me. Jets should do whatever it takes to get him. Based on his rumored hatred for Rob Ryan and problems with the GM, I feel like this would be the perfect fit.

If he's really leaving/getting fired....This should be the clear and obvious choice (assuming you can't get Harbaugh)  Give him full control and get it done..

If he's really leaving/getting fired....This should be the clear and obvious choice (assuming you can't get Harbaugh)  Give him full control and get it done..

I don't want to split hairs. But I would personally rather have Payton than Harbaugh.

I don't want to split hairs. But I would personally rather have Payton than Harbaugh.

Either one would be great but I go with Harbaugh just because I think this team needs a hard kick in the ass...they have been so undisciplined for so long...someone needs to come in and get them straight.

I would like Shanahan too. Would be second to Payton on my list. I dont hold anything that happens to anyone who works for Dan Snyder against them.

Kirk Cousins looked pretty good running Shanny's offense.  If Shanahan were to be the guy Woody brings in, I'd be OK with working out a trade for Cousins.  I'd imagine he wouldn't cost much.

Then go hell-bent for Amari Cooper in the first round.

Either one would be great but I go with Harbaugh just because I think this team needs a hard kick in the ass...they have been so undisciplined for so long...someone needs to come in and get them straight.

That's a good point. Payton doesn't take crap either - but Harbaugh is tougher. I agree the team needs this too. In addition to someone that gives the franchise some credibility. If a coordinator is picked I think its going to be a tougher rebuild.

"Right organization" is code for "not the Jets."

And while Dan Snyder sucks too, I have no idea why anyone would be interested in the guy after the way he told his last team to **** off. I just can't imagine him being a fit with Woody.

Kirk Cousins looked pretty good running Shanny's offense.  If Shanahan were to be the guy Woody brings in, I'd be OK with working out a trade for Cousins.  I'd imagine he wouldn't cost much.

Then go hell-bent for Amari Cooper in the first round.

Funny thing is. Decker is just like his boy McCaffrey. Could be a great fit. And Shanahan has always played BB tough. I would like that a lot. Idk if I agree about Cooper - but thats ok. Close enough. :-)

"Right organization" is code for "not the Jets."

And while Dan Snyder sucks too, I have no idea why anyone would be interested in the guy after the way he told his last team to **** off. I just can't imagine him being a fit with Woody.

Shotty Sr did much better without Snyder. Idk about code for not the Jets. I take that as meaning whatever he considers to be a good fit for him.

With all do respect I want nothing to do with Shanahan, now Payton would be great, I just dont see him leaving the Saints. If Idzik stays I would be ok with Quinn,  Bowles or Lazor. If Idzik is fired and I hope he will be I would like to see GM Tom Gamble and HC Bill Lazor who both worked together in Philly. I feel they would bring the right QB and develop him properly.

Archived