GM Candidates

sourceworx

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tom Gamble was our guy, but after we trashed him through the media for supposedly being a "bad interview" after he declined the job because he didn't want to take on Rex ('slats' will be by any minute now to assure everyone this isn't how it went down), I doubt he'd come here now. Maybe if we publicly apologize to him and beg him to reconsider and promise him, in writing, full control of football operations, we'd have a shot. Otherwise, just give Harbaugh the Parcells role and let him have carte blanche to do whatever he wants.

Couple quick links that completely blow up your fairy tale about Tom Gamble because I was thinking about this this morning. 

12/31/12 - Jets announce Tannenbaum fired, Rex to be retained: http://www.businessinsider.com/jets-fired-gm-tannenbaum-2012-12

01/05/13 - Tom Gamble cancels Jaguar interview to focus on Jets job:  http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2013/01/jets_gm_search_tom_gamble_canc.html

The Jets absolutely, 100%, missed out on quality candidates because this dysfunctional franchise saddled the new GM with Rex, much in the way they once saddled Rex with Brian Schottenheimer. It's a serious issue. However...

Tom Gamble was not one of them. It was public knowledge at the time of his first interview that Rex Ryan was part of the job, and he wanted the job enough despite that to blow off the Jaguars. The second link mentions the fact that Gamble has known Rex for 20 years, and previously worked for Buddy. The Jets, for better or worse, chose to go in another direction. I remember it very well (and you obviously don't) because Gamble was also my favorite for the position, and I was surprised when they chose not to hire him. 

I'd appreciate it if you'd drop that particular narrative. People sometimes come here for information. Thanks. 

There was literally nothing Idzik could have said today that would have appeased Jets fans.

this is true but it still could have been handled MUCH, MUCH better.  "I take full responsibility, it's been terrible and we're going to fix it, we're going to bring in whatever players, coaches and support we need to make this team better"  "Now I'll take your questions"  He would still get beat up in the Q&A period but this would/could have been, basically, a non-story.

That whole 20 minutes of how great the team, coaches and players are truly made him sound like a GM that does not really have a sense of what's going on.

this is true but it still could have been handled MUCH, MUCH better. "I take full responsibility, it's been terrible and we're going to fix it, we're going to bring in whatever players, coaches and support we need to make this team better" "Now I'll take your questions" He would still get beat up in the Q&A period but this would/could have been, basically, a non-story.

That whole 20 minutes of how great the team, coaches and players are truly made him sound like a GM that does not really have a sense of what's going on.

Dont forget how great the stadium is. The stadium!

"Honey that movie was truly awful but the theater was nice so i enjoyed it anyway."

Also known as THINGS PEOPLE WOULD NEVER FRICKIN SAY.

You can't fire the scouting department right away.  There simply isn't enough time to assemble a staff, get full scouting reports, etc.

Start with the GM and coach, and work your way down from there.

A GM would have his own set of scouts so that point is moot. Simply start with a new GM and get out of his way. I don't know who the new guy should be, Scott Pioli, Bill Polian, or someone I never heard of. I just know that his background has got to be in scouting and personnel or else why bother. Idzik can do as poor a job as any cap-o-logist out there.

Archived