cheap fix for jets qb situation (for next season)

bealeb319

yes I just posted a few days ago about how Geno isn't all that bad right before he had to be a dick and prove me wrong by throwing three interceptions in four possessions. I am still not sold on Mariota and I think Winston will be in prison for something before he is able to fully develop. There will likely be some other names who find their way up into the first round or atleast the first round discussions however we have other priorities to address in free agency and the draft. I did come up with one possible solution to our current qb problem that unfortunately would not help us this year. what if we were to trade a late pick with the rams for Sam Bradford? I think we could get him for a conditional 5-7th round pick because of his injury history and because they have found a good qb to replace him they will be likely to cut him if no trade offers are thrown their way anyway. he might not be the best qb in the nfl but he is defiantly better than what we currently have. thoughts?

Screw cheap write a friggin check!!! Coulda had cutler. Coulda had palmer. Coulda had alex smith. Coulda had orton. BUT NOOOOOO we decided to draft the mouth breather from west virgina. Hey geno close your yap before you catch flies in there ya mo-ron!

yes I just posted a few days ago about how Geno isn't all that bad right before he had to be a dick and prove me wrong by throwing three interceptions in four possessions. I am still not sold on Mariota and I think Winston will be in prison for something before he is able to fully develop. There will likely be some other names who find their way up into the first round or atleast the first round discussions however we have other priorities to address in free agency and the draft. I did come up with one possible solution to our current qb problem that unfortunately would not help us this year. what if we were to trade a late pick with the rams for Sam Bradford? I think we could get him for a conditional 5-7th round pick because of his injury history and because they have found a good qb to replace him they will be likely to cut him if no trade offers are thrown their way anyway. he might not be the best qb in the nfl but he is defiantly better than what we currently have. thoughts?

Why would we need a cheap fix with 50 to 60 million in cap room this offseason?

Why would we try to fix the decades old franchise QB problem with a bust?

How was Geno not all that bad a few days ago and now he's garbage?

Why would we trade for a player who will CERTAINLY be cut? And give up a 5th rounder no less.

Vick is better than Bradford, especially if you consider that they are about equal when it comes to durability... or lack there of.

Please brainstorm a bit more. I'm sure you can fix this franchise.

Why would we trade for a player who will CERTAINLY be cut? And give up a 5th rounder no less.

Vick is better than Bradford, especially if you consider that they are about equal when it comes to durability... or lack there of.

Take the 50 million, put it in a a metal suitcase, borrow woody's helicopter and go visit every qb in the league rumored to be at odds with their FO or HC and fan the money out on their kitchen table. Then give up whatever picks you need to in order to get the guy. Does ANYONE want idziot to have any more draft picks than is necessary? What is a franchise QB worth to YOU? Two first rounders for a Big Ben sounds like an absolute no brainer. throw in any flight crew girl of his choice and we will have a deal.

just because we have cap space doesn't mean it should all be spent in one place...not like qb is our only position of need we are obviously pretty desperate for two more corners and they don't come cheap. we could also use a big receiver who is a threat in the redzone.

when Bradford is healthy he is pretty good for a late pick I think the risk would be less than the reward and if nothing else it would give us competition at the position until we get something better. note that I also like the idea of maby looking at locker as a temporary fix.

I never said geno was garbage however a few days ago he didn't throw three interceptions in four drives and the passes he did throw were way off mark. it almost looked as if he had come to the buffalo game drunk.

the reason to trade for a player who will probably be cut is simple if you trade for him you don't have to compete with other teams, Bradford still has one year left on his contract and he isn't getting paid a whole lot something like 12m a year. the other thing is in our division we have another team who will be looking for a qb and would you want to risk Bradford going to the bills and actually playing well because he has Sammy Watkins to throw the ball to? as for why give up a 5th round pick for Watkins look at the amazing talent the jets drafted for this year past the third round. why not take a swing at someone who has potential as opposed to letting idzik pick a name out of his magic hat who will most likely be someone who doesn't make the roster anyway.

yes durability for Bradford is a problem however I think he is better than Vick he is also younger than Vick and played for a worse team then Vick. I also think he has a higher ceiling than Vick does and he might have a better shot at staying healthy on a new team. sometimes these guys just need a fresh start to shine.

just because we have cap space doesn't mean it should all be spent in one place...not like qb is our only position of need we are obviously pretty desperate for two more corners and they don't come cheap. we could also use a big receiver who is a threat in the redzone.

when Bradford is healthy he is pretty good for a late pick I think the risk would be less than the reward and if nothing else it would give us competition at the position until we get something better. note that I also like the idea of maby looking at locker as a temporary fix.

I never said geno was garbage however a few days ago he didn't throw three interceptions in four drives and the passes he did throw were way off mark. it almost looked as if he had come to the buffalo game drunk.

the reason to trade for a player who will probably be cut is simple if you trade for him you don't have to compete with other teams, Bradford still has one year left on his contract and he isn't getting paid a whole lot something like 12m a year. the other thing is in our division we have another team who will be looking for a qb and would you want to risk Bradford going to the bills and actually playing well because he has Sammy Watkins to throw the ball to? as for why give up a 5th round pick for Watkins look at the amazing talent the jets drafted for this year past the third round. why not take a swing at someone who has potential as opposed to letting idzik pick a name out of his magic hat who will most likely be someone who doesn't make the roster anyway.

yes durability for Bradford is a problem however I think he is better than Vick he is also younger than Vick and played for a worse team then Vick. I also think he has a higher ceiling than Vick does and he might have a better shot at staying healthy on a new team. sometimes these guys just need a fresh start to shine.

You just destroyed your own logic. If we trade for him we inherit his 12 million dollar salary next year. If we wait for him to be cut we will get him at a 12th of that price.

Seriously, I like your outside the box thinking, and I also enjoy going over these scenarios in my head. But this one makes no sense.

See what Vick can do the rest of this season, draft yet another QB next year, but don't throw him to the wolves right away if VIck shows something, as Vick would be the cheap solution while the rookie learns watching.  If Vick fails then look for a vet, like the Bills have done with Orton and Skins with McCoy and still look to draft a QB, and have the rookie sit and learn. 

Take the 50 million, put it in a a metal suitcase, borrow woody's helicopter and go visit every qb in the league rumored to be at odds with their FO or HC and fan the money out on their kitchen table. Then give up whatever picks you need to in order to get the guy. Does ANYONE want idziot to have any more draft picks than is necessary? What is a franchise QB worth to YOU? Two first rounders for a Big Ben sounds like an absolute no brainer. throw in any flight crew girl of his choice and we will have a deal.

I don't think we would have any picks left to trade after we surrendered them all for tampering, counselor. 

You just destroyed your own logic. If we trade for him we inherit his 12 million dollar salary next year. If we wait for him to be cut we will get him at a 12th of that price.

Seriously, I like your outside the box thinking, and I also enjoy going over these scenarios in my head. But this one makes no sense.

in a world where Vick, McCown and Orton get $5M per and Hoyer is scheduled to make at least that much, Sam Bradford is getting considerably more than $1M.

I don't think we would have any picks left to trade after we surrendered them all for tampering, counselor. 

in a world where Vick, McCown and Orton get $5M per and Hoyer is scheduled to make at least that much, Sam Bradford is getting considerably more than $1M.

humor my friend, our profession isn't totally devoid of it

Brought this up in another thread.  I think it's a great idea.  One thing we learned from our last two QB's is unless you have Andrew Luck these guys need to sit and learn.  Nothing wrong with drafting a QB while also bringing in a stopgap for a year or two.  Bradford or Locker could be perfect assuming they can stay healthy.

The Bradford idea is insane. The minute he goes down we are the same old Jets bungling free agency. In this media market it simply can't happen. If we were coming off years of success ... Maybe. But not at a time like this.

I like the idea of Hoyer and Moriata. I'd even consider someone like Hasselbeck from Indy combined with Manziel.

The Bradford idea is insane. The minute he goes down we are the same old Jets bungling free agency. In this media market it simply can't happen. If we were coming off years of success ... Maybe. But not at a time like this.

I like the idea of Hoyer and Moriata. I'd even consider someone like Hasselbeck from Indy combined with Manziel.

Hoyer hasn't been great this season and the browns might want to keep him anyway. Mariota scares me.

Hoyer hasn't been great this season and the browns might want to keep him anyway. Mariota scares me.

every prospect is scary. finding a QB is hard! trying once every 4 years isn't good enough. Try again and again and again until you hit. 1st or 2nd round pick every year until we find the guy. And if we find two at once (hahahaha we can't even find one) we dump one for a ransom to some other QB desperate team ala Kevin Kolb. No more excuses. FIND THE GUY.

The reason behind him being cheap is ultimately and unfortunately the reason why he wouldn't work out here. If he could stay healthy I wouldn't be against it.

If Jerry's Kids could stay healthy they would all be starting at Rutgers -- for al the good it would do.

every prospect is scary. finding a QB is hard! trying once every 4 years isn't good enough. Try again and again and again until you hit. 1st or 2nd round pick every year until we find the guy. And if we find two at once (hahahaha we can't even find one) we dump one for a ransom to some other QB desperate team ala Kevin Kolb. No more excuses. FIND THE GUY.

That's how we end up with 5 QB's on our depth chart and zero players around them. I won feel much better in drafting Amari Cooper and then digging in free agency for a QB. That doesn't mean we should go QB this draft... just not first round.

That's how we end up with 5 QB's on our depth chart and zero players around them. I won feel much better in drafting Amari Cooper and then digging in free agency for a QB. That doesn't mean we should go QB this draft... just not first round.

Once you find the guy you stop doing it.

Archived