cheap fix for jets qb situation (for next season)

bealeb319

The Jets obviously need to change their approach on gaining a QB.  I say we sign a FA to start next year and draft someone in the mid rounds.  As for free agents, in order of my preferences:

1) Jake Locker

2) Matt Moore

3) Josh Johnson

4) Colt McCoy

5) Jimmy Clausen

Keep Simms as the backup and the rookie will be 3rd string. Next need to rebuild the OL  (need to upgrade all 5 spots in the next 3 years).

Damn, was hoping this was a Tebow thread.  I'll take the guy he beat in the National Championship though.  It would be a perfect Idzik signing.  Terrible injury prone veteran FA.  Par for the course.

... Idzik will be signing 4- 8 injury -prone veterans in the off season. Be prepared.

LOL. I realize this but you don't just pass on a guy like Cooper for a swing at Mariota. Cooper just broke Julio Jones record and he looks even better then him.

1st or 2nd round is what i said

although i prefer giving 2 firsts for big ben and being done with it

1st or 2nd round is what i said

although i prefer giving 2 firsts for big ben and being done with it

after two consecutive 500 yard games the steelers would probably take nothing less than 2 first round picks for ben and would likely still want more. he is also 32 years old and although he is a great qb I don't think he is worth giving up two first round picks are valuable. I would rather see the jets use their 4-7th round picks on nothing but qbs and hope that one of them ends up being good then pissing away 2 of our first round picks and likely more for an old man who is going to get hurt seeing as currently our offensive line is pretty bad.

The reason behind him being cheap is ultimately and unfortunately the reason why he wouldn't work out here. If he could stay healthy I wouldn't be against it.

he is still young atleast and if we could get him on a cheap contract I think at the very least he is worth taking a swing on. last year in 7 games played he threw 14 touchdowns with 4 interceptions and only 1 fumble lost. if he went to the bills and stayed healthy it might end up being a bad situation for the jets. the reason I bring up the bills is because they are obviously going to be looking at quarterbacks during the off season and don't have a first round pick to pull the trigger on a young guy. just imagine a healthy Bradford throwing to Sammy Watkins with the issues we currently have at the CB position.

Where did all these new guys with their asinine ideas come from?  Did they just fall of the truck?  Sweet Jesus!  You want to hitch your wagon to Bradford?  

we would be better off with an injured Bradford than a healthy geno at this point wouldn't we?

after two consecutive 500 yard games the steelers would probably take nothing less than 2 first round picks for ben and would likely still want more. he is also 32 years old and although he is a great qb I don't think he is worth giving up two first round picks are valuable. I would rather see the jets use their 4-7th round picks on nothing but qbs and hope that one of them ends up being good then pissing away 2 of our first round picks and likely more for an old man who is going to get hurt seeing as currently our offensive line is pretty bad.

so continue down the same path we been on for 40 years. brilliant!

so continue down the same path we been on for 40 years. brilliant!

either way I don't think the steelers let go of Ben I think he is retiring as a steeler. I think the best thing we could do with our early draft picks is fix our offensive line, a good offensive line can make a decent qb look great. as for our future at qb we obviously need something new and honestly none of us have the right answer but I honestly think Bradford would give a reward worth the minimal risk. also if we did get Bradford that doesn't mean we wouldn't still draft an early qb it just means we would be adding depth to a position in need.

and as far as big ben goes he could come here and be elite or we could waste two first round picks to have him come here and flop. the risk with him I don't see being worth the potential reward.

there is no risk with big ben. guy has proven it at the highest level of the sport and made santonio holmes then mike wallace look among the best WRs in the game while they played together. every year they take away another weapon from him, first those two and then sanders and he keeps getting it done. he can also make plays with his feet.

you know what a bigger risk is? business as usual drafting a high pick QB, throwing him in, and then sticking with him too long. THAT'S the risk. this team has not proven it is capable of developing a QB. get someone already developed and if you want to work on a rookie as a side project fine but sick of flushing away season after season searching for the guy. give me someone who can win and maybe teach a kid a thing or two. No more all-in on rookie QBs!

it'll be Locker. i hope to God that idzik isn't dumb enough to go bradford

I like locker too but keep in mind that locker couldn't cut it behind one of the west offensive lines in the nfl. Bradford who is just as injury prone actually played well with the rams until he got hurt. Bradford actually made it through 1 whole season where locker has not. I mean just look up the stats. Bradford outplays locker in each and every way. I do agree with what you said earlier in that I don't want to see the jets waste a first round pick on a qb who they cant develop but a qb who will not be up for trade is not something we should consider...expecting the steelers to trade Ben to us is like expecting that the patriots would trade Brady with us and throw in Gronk as a bonus its not going to happen. Bradford is actually a realistic scenario that could help the team.

I like locker too but keep in mind that locker couldn't cut it behind one of the west offensive lines in the nfl. Bradford who is just as injury prone actually played well with the rams until he got hurt. Bradford actually made it through 1 whole season where locker has not. I mean just look up the stats. Bradford outplays locker in each and every way. I do agree with what you said earlier in that I don't want to see the jets waste a first round pick on a qb who they cant develop but a qb who will not be up for trade is not something we should consider...expecting the steelers to trade Ben to us is like expecting that the patriots would trade Brady with us and throw in Gronk as a bonus its not going to happen. Bradford is actually a realistic scenario that could help the team.

I don't like locker just saying that's an idzik signing all the way. Bradford is worse anyway--at least locker hasnt been schottenheimered. Remember sanchez begged philly to let him stay as a backup rather than ship him out to st louis where he would start!

Jets cant even turn a blank canvas into a competent qb--trying with recycled flops is a bad idea. Much prefer a low upside veteren who gets it--Pray that he can develop a rookie who will sit for a year or two because the coaches sure cant.

Regarding big ben, i dont mean him specifically necessarily. You never know when and what opportunity will arise. But if one of those second tier qbs like big ben is available, you dont spend a month pointing out every reason he isnt drew brees--you make it happen

I don't like locker just saying that's an idzik signing all the way. Bradford is worse anyway--at least locker hasnt been schottenheimered. Remember sanchez begged philly to let him stay as a backup rather than ship him out to st louis where he would start!

Jets cant even turn a blank canvas into a competent qb--trying with recycled flops is a bad idea. Much prefer a low upside veteren who gets it--Pray that he can develop a rookie who will sit for a year or two because the coaches sure cant.

Regarding big ben, i dont mean him specifically necessarily. You never know when and what opportunity will arise. But if one of those second tier qbs like big ben is available, you dont spend a month pointing out every reason he isnt drew brees--you make it happen

what about schaub he is playing for the raiders as their backup now. I know he had 1 dreadful year with the Texans but he also had a couple of good years with them. bet we could get him cheap and use him for a year while our new coaching staff attempts to build up a rookie. still like Bradford more though.

what about schaub he is playing for the raiders as their backup now. I know he had 1 dreadful year with the Texans but he also had a couple of good years with them. bet we could get him cheap and use him for a year while our new coaching staff attempts to build up a rookie. still like Bradford more though.

the bright side is that almost anyone is an upgrade. jets can't afford to do nothing. while getting shaub would light the internet on fire with disgust, he would definitely be an upgrade (pathetically). you only bring on a guy like him if you are going to make a play for one of the top QBs in the draft.  a better choice would be a matt moore/hoyer type--those guys aren't going to the pro bowl but they are a veteran steady hand that you could conceivably turn to for 2-3 years if necessary.

but, again, if there is an opportunity to pry a top-15 QB away from their team for some high draft picks, that's the safest money imho.

the bright side is that almost anyone is an upgrade. jets can't afford to do nothing. while getting shaub would light the internet on fire with disgust, he would definitely be an upgrade (pathetically). you only bring on a guy like him if you are going to make a play for one of the top QBs in the draft.  a better choice would be a matt moore/hoyer type--those guys aren't going to the pro bowl but they are a veteran steady hand that you could conceivably turn to for 2-3 years if necessary.

but, again, if there is an opportunity to pry a top-15 QB away from their team for some high draft picks, that's the safest money imho.

matt moore could work I mean look when your thinking about free agent qbs your obviously going to get a guy who has some type of problem even manning was a risk when he was a free agent because no one knew how he would look coming off of a neck injury. your absolutely right that the jets have to do something and there are pleanty of options. the other team that is likely going to have to make a move for a free agent qb is buffalo and if we can get the best guy available it helps us at the position and helps us by keeping him out of buffalos hands. as far as talent goes I think Bradford will be the most talented qb in free agency (assuming the rams actually cut him) his history of injuries is unfortunate but as far as just talent he should be at the top this year. locker has potential but I have seen him make some real bad plays behind one of the best offensive lines in the nfl. schaub and moore like you said are someone that you pick up as a backup/early season starter if you plan to make a move on a qb early in the draft.it will be interesting to see what the jets end up doing when the season is over.

matt moore could work I mean look when your thinking about free agent qbs your obviously going to get a guy who has some type of problem even manning was a risk when he was a free agent because no one knew how he would look coming off of a neck injury. your absolutely right that the jets have to do something and there are pleanty of options. the other team that is likely going to have to make a move for a free agent qb is buffalo and if we can get the best guy available it helps us at the position and helps us by keeping him out of buffalos hands. as far as talent goes I think Bradford will be the most talented qb in free agency (assuming the rams actually cut him) his history of injuries is unfortunate but as far as just talent he should be at the top this year. locker has potential but I have seen him make some real bad plays behind one of the best offensive lines in the nfl. schaub and moore like you said are someone that you pick up as a backup/early season starter if you plan to make a move on a qb early in the draft.it will be interesting to see what the jets end up doing when the season is over.

yes it will be interesting to see how they complete **** this up

I actually don't mind the idea of Bradford to compete, but if you are going to have guys to compete with him you are not giving a pick or paying $12+M

trade deadline is over they will likely hold onto him for a bit and then drop him before next season when they realize no one wants to trade for him

Archived