vick named starter at KC

jgb

Michael Vick to start for New York Jets at Chiefs

• _Hanzus_2-65x90.jpg
  • By Dan Hanzus
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: Oct. 27, 2014 at 04:46 p.m.
  • Updated: Oct. 27, 2014 at 04:59 p.m.

The New York Jets are moving away from Geno Smith. Perhaps for good.

Rex Ryan announced Monday that Michael Vick will start Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs at Arrowhead Stadium.

"This is not looking long-term, this is about the immediate," Ryan said after announcing Vick as the starter. "My focus is just on that and that's on Kansas City and trying to find a way to get a win. And that's why this decision was made."

Smith's benching comes one day after the second-year passer threw three interceptions in a span of six plays during the first quarter of Sunday's embarrassing 48-23 home loss to the Buffalo Bills. Vick replaced Smith and provided a temporary spark, though he finished with three turnovers of his own.

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, it was the first time a team had two quarterbacks with three or more turnovers in a single game since the 1991 Cardinals.

Smith can't say he didn't get a fair shake here. The former second-round pick has gone 9-15 as a starter with 19 touchdowns, 31 interceptions, a 55.9 percent completion rating and passer rating of 66.2. He's had at least two turnovers in half of his starts.

Ryan called Monday's move to go to Vick a "team decision." It's hard to imagine there being too much internal fight on Smith's behalf. The Jets have lost seven straight -- something had to give.

The latest Around The NFL Podcast recaps every Week 8 game. Find more Around The NFL content on NFL NOW.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000418835/article/rex-michael-vick-is-new-york-jets-week-9-quarterback

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OF COURSE!!!

This organization is so stupid, its laughable.

The time to do this was 3 weeks ago, now this is just idiotic.

hey, rex is growing as a coach. only stuck with geno for 23 games, went in for more than double that with sanchez.

hey, rex is growing as a coach. only stuck with geno for 23 games, went in for more than double that with sanchez.

At least you could justify it up until the middle of 2012 with Sanchez, they did have some success with him. With Geno there is just no excuse whatsoever. The SD game should have been the absolute end of him.

At least you could justify it up until the middle of 2012 with Sanchez, they did have some success with him. With Geno there is just no excuse whatsoever. The SD game should have been the absolute end of him.

missing the meeting should've been the end. dont blame vick for saying "**** this" when rex wouldn't let him play even when the starter doesn't bother to show up to the pre-game meeting. i would've gone and gotten drunk too.

Hey, I got an idea

lets put a guy in there (let him practice a bit) so we can evaluate the rest of the team....we already know what we have in QB Geno.

no! we already know vick stinks! sacrilege! sacrilege!

OF COURSE!!!

This organization is so stupid, its laughable.

The time to do this was 3 weeks ago, now this is just idiotic.

The Jets weren't going to win the Super Bowl. I feel that giving Geno 8 games to CONFIRM that he isn't the QB of the future was the right move. It beat having this guy around for 4 years going back and forth. This process never feels good as a fan for sure so I understand. My thing is this, is there a franchise QB in this upcoming draft and will we have the right OC to put him in a successful position? Also, when will we get an actual WR's coach? 

Vick isn't the answer stick with Geno Smith either he has it or he doesn't and we move on.When Vick gets the same results will it be Simms turn?

Again, they really should promote Simms to the 53 man roster this week. Vick sucks and he's made of glass. It would be nice to have another option besides going back to Geno. 

The Jets weren't going to win the Super Bowl. I feel that giving Geno 8 games to CONFIRM that he isn't the QB of the future was the right move. It beat having this guy around for 4 years going back and forth. This process never feels good as a fan for sure so I understand. My thing is this, is there a franchise QB in this upcoming draft and will we have the right OC to put him in a successful position? Also, when will we get an actual WR's coach? 

the problem was no QB drafted last draft...that was a criminal act!

yes but since Idziot did not see need to draft another last year....its all we got....

sarcastic. team should've made sooner to vick. at this point, as long as it's not geno i'm fine. throw simms in there for all i care. but the team cannot go crawling back to geno after this or he'll never respect us in the morning ;)

trade for finished product at QB. no more trying to develop one. idziot stinks at talent eval and coaches suck at developing offensive talent. let's buy someone else's hard work. bonus; less picks for idziot to **** up

trade for finished product at QB. no more trying to develop one. idziot stinks at talent eval and coaches suck at developing offensive talent. let's buy someone else's hard work. bonus; less picks for idziot to **** up

OK easy to say that but who are you going to try to get? What team is going to give up established starter?

the problem was no QB drafted last draft...that was a criminal act!

With hindsight I'd totally agree. The year that we drafted Geno people was so hyped on Teddy Bridgewater coming out the year after, though I personally liked what I seen from Geno when at WV. Drafting another QB high this past draft would have not sat well, especially if we busted. Teddy Bridgwater is flashing, but even he is having a tough season. Things like that only end well when you get it right which is hard to do. I can't remember the last time I seen a guy come in the league as a rookie and solidify himself his rookie year since Russell Wilson. Maybe Vince Young, but his best year was also his rookie year. 

Its crazy how hard it is to draft a franchise QB, especially when the league is geared in the QB's favor. Its incredible actually. One would think to draft a guy and sit him for a year or two until he's ready. When you look at a guy like Kirk Cousins, it goes to show even that doesnt work...and he had weapons at every skill set position on offense. 

The Jets need to get this done. That Alex smith trade with San Fran would have done us well right about now. 

With hindsight I'd totally agree. The year that we drafted Geno people was so hyped on Teddy Bridgewater though I personally liked what I seen from Geno when at WV. Drafting another QB high this past draft would have not sat well, especially if we busted. Things like that only end well when you get it right which is hard to do. I can't remember the last time I seen a guy come in the league as a rookie and solidify himself his rookie year since Russell Wilson. Maybe Vince Young, but his best year was also his rookie year. 

Its crazy how hard it is to draft a franchise QB, especially when the league is geared in the QB's favor. Its incredible actually. One would think to draft a guy and sit him for a year or two until he's ready. When you look at a guy like Kirk Cousins, it goes to show even that doesnt work...and he had weapons at every skill set position on offense. 

The Jets need to get this done. That Alex smith trade with San Fran would have done us well right about now. 

Well if it makes anyone feel better Bridgewater blows too. Bortles has looked bad...only guy I think has a longterm shot to be really good is Carr. He's just stuck in the Raiders abyss. 

With hindsight I'd totally agree. The year that we drafted Geno people was so hyped on Teddy Bridgewater coming out the year after, though I personally liked what I seen from Geno when at WV. Drafting another QB high this past draft would have not sat well, especially if we busted. Teddy Bridgwater is flashing, but even he is having a tough season. Things like that only end well when you get it right which is hard to do. I can't remember the last time I seen a guy come in the league as a rookie and solidify himself his rookie year since Russell Wilson. Maybe Vince Young, but his best year was also his rookie year. 

the pats had brady who didnt look like he was slowing down anytime soon yet still took Jimmy G....Jets sh have done the same and let Jimmy G ride the bench.  Good teams have viable 2nd and 3rd options to their plans.

Again, they really should promote Simms to the 53 man roster this week. Vick sucks and he's made of glass. It would be nice to have another option besides going back to Geno. 

Its frustrating. I agree, but it won't happen. This organization doesn't make moves that could cause waves. 

Well if it makes anyone feel better Bridgewater blows too. Bortles has looked bad...only guy I think has a longterm shot to be really good is Carr. He's just stuck in the Raiders abyss. 

Jimmy G 3/3 in garbagio time this week against the bears. 9 of 10 for the year. They could have taken him at 1 or 2. Honestly Garappolo over Calvin Pryor isn't that bad of a reach. 

I partly agree. Trading to get Alex Smith a couple years back would have done us very well because we would have had a game manager that doesnt turn the ball over. As for Idzik and player eval's I'll disagree with that part. Its simply too early imo. I would give him 3 to 4 years to see what he's done. 

Im still waiting to see Shaq Evans, Dexter McDougle, Quincy Enunwa, Dakota Dozier, IK Enemkpali etc. 

Don't get me wrong, there were some things that I didnt like that Idzik did. I wanted Phillip Gaines in that 3rd round something bad, and though I have high hopes for McDougle, the difference is that McDougle is out for the year with a career threatening injury before his career even got started while Gaines is impressing in KC like I knew he would. 

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/10/24/7041921/phillip-gaines-kansas-city-chiefs-rookies-impressed

I also wanted Jordan Matthews, though I'm starting to feel that Amaro is legit and is simply not being used effectively. Thats a coaching issue. Not to be longwinded, getting a QB here that can simply cut out the turnovers would put us in 2nd place in this division. It seriously doesnt take a lot. We have the running game though I personally would like to see Powell back in the game and cut Chris Johnson already. Also, we need to do something with this offensive line. Its terrible. 

Archived