David Lee Jets QB coach the last 10 years (ok it's been less than 2 years but whatever)

joewilly12

How can this be? Sorry I thought 10 years with the Jets still he sucks

David Lee enters his 10th season in the NFL and his second as the Jets quarterbacks coach.

◊ Last season, Lee directed rookie quarterback Geno Smith, who started all 16 games for the Jets, the only rookie quarterback in team history to do so. Smith passed for 3,046 yards, making him the first quarterback in Jets history and 13th in NFL history to throw for more than 3,000 yards in his rookie season.

I don't understand why lee is allowed anywhere near a QB. What is his history? 

The one year he did anything was with Pennington at QB. He's not known for developing QBs, he's known for the wildcat.

He has coached 3 QBs in the NFL:

Chad Henne (now the backup QB of the esteemed Jaguars franchise)

Ryan Fitzpatrick (regressed when Lee became the QB coach and tried to change his throwing motion then was cut)

Geno Smith (Soon to be asking if people want fries with that)

Like so many others on the Jets, he's terrible at his job.

He's a "Parcells guy" so naturally Woody Johnson is infatuated with him. But he hasn't at all been with the Jets for the past 10 years.  Pretty sure he was the one who fixed up Romo's throwing motion. Did it in 1 offseason as well, if I recall reading about it. Whatever choking history Romo has had over the years it has nothing to do with his QB coach.

OK, looked up his past several jobs (past decade)

Past 2 years with the Jets

Before that: he was QBC with Buffalo for 1 year (Fitzpatrick 60%+, 24 TD, 16 INT, 3400 yds). He had Stevie Johnson and I guess Chandler and nothing else to throw to outside of his backfield. 

Before that: OC at Ole Miss (awful season; Ole Miss cleaned house after the season)

Before that QBC with Miami (Pennington comeback player of the year)

Before that OC Arkansas (3-9 season; they cleaned house after the season)

Before that he was QBC and offensive "quality control" coach for Dallas (Tony Romo). But there were also has-been and never-gonna-be QBs there as well that Parcells brought in. In other words, it would seem one can only develop the ones who are develop-able.

Regardless of whether one thinks he's ok or sucks, he has not been the Jets' QBC for the past 10 years.

He's a "Parcells guy" so naturally Woody Johnson is infatuated with him. But he hasn't at all been with the Jets for the past 10 years.  Pretty sure he was the one who fixed up Romo's throwing motion. Did it in 1 offseason as well, if I recall reading about it. Whatever choking history Romo has had over the years it has nothing to do with his QB coach.

Before that: he was QBC with Buffalo for 1 year (Fitzpatrick 60%+, 24 TD, 16 INT, 3400 yds). He had Stevie Johnson and I guess Chandler and nothing else to throw to outside of his backfield. 

Before that: OC at Ole Miss (awful season; Ole Miss cleaned house after the season)

Before that he was QBC and offensive "quality control" coach for Dallas (Tony Romo). But there were also has-been and never-gonna-be QBs there as well that Parcells brought in. In other words, it would seem one can only develop the ones who are develop-able.

Regardless of whether one thinks he's ok or sucks, he has not been the Jets' QBC for the past 10 years.

You are an asset to this site sir.

You are an asset to this site sir.

He's had some success and some failures as QBC. In Miami he played a big part in Pennington's final turnaround, but then he also did nothing with the QB they drafted. In Dallas, anyone can read about how much Romo's gushed about him basically making him, but he also did nothing with Quincy Carter (or Chad Hutchinson, or Drew Henson...).

I think there has to be a minimum Mendoza Line of something to work with, regardless of how high or how low someone's draft slot was. If Henne went on to Jacksonville and turned into a demon passer then it's an easy finger-point of blame at David Lee. But Henne was about the same: strong arm, makes some good throws and the rest he's Sanchgeno.

I think with someone like Smith he CAN throw, if everything's going just right, but big whoop; so can lots of guys who aren't good enough to be starting NFL QBs. The position is more than just throwing because the D isn't always going to just stand there and let you pick them apart like Oakland (or the 1st half vs GB, or the Atlanta game last year).

He's had some success and some failures as QBC. In Miami he played a big part in Pennington's final turnaround, but then he also did nothing with the QB they drafted. In Dallas, anyone can read about how much Romo's gushed about him basically making him, but he also did nothing with Quincy Carter (or Chad Hutchinson, or Drew Henson...).

I think there has to be a minimum Mendoza Line of something to work with, regardless of how high or how low someone's draft slot was. If Henne went on to Jacksonville and turned into a demon passer then it's an easy finger-point of blame at David Lee. But Henne was about the same: strong arm, makes some good throws and the rest he's Sanchgeno.

I think with someone like Smith he CAN throw, if everything's going just right, but big whoop; so can lots of guys who aren't good enough to be starting NFL QBs. The position is more than just throwing because the D isn't always going to just stand there and let you pick them apart like Oakland (or the 1st half vs GB, or the Atlanta game last year).

Basically by he time Pennington got to Miami he was no secret; if you ran the ball and gave him enough time to play action or do the short 3-step drop WCO thing, he was productive. Not sure you can say David Lee mattered one way or the other. Pennington what ever else you can say about him was a coach's son and knew his limitations.Not  David Lee nor anyone was gonna turn him into Darryl LaMonica or anything more than he was.Typical Johnson listening to Parcells for a hire.And you cannot fix the stupid that is Geno Smith. It's one thing to be confident, quite another to be a fool. Geno Smith every time he opens his mouth tells you he is a babbling moron. And David Lee is not ever gonna make Smith even a serviceable backup.

Basically by he time Pennington got to Miami he was no secret; if you ran the ball and gave him enough time to play action or do the short 3-step drop WCO thing, he was productive. Not sure you can say David Lee mattered one way or the other. Pennington what ever else you can say about him was a coach's son and knew his limitations.Not  David Lee nor anyone was gonna turn him into Darryl LaMonica or anything more than he was.Typical Johnson listening to Parcells for a hire.And you cannot fix the stupid that is Geno Smith. It's one thing to be confident, quite another to be a fool. Geno Smith every time he opens his mouth tells you he is a babbling moron. And David Lee is not ever gonna make Smith even a serviceable backup.

Pennington clearly had a better season than the year before when he seemed to be throwing a pick-6 every week. Pennington had some nice things to say about him and working with him. Then again, Pennington always gushed about Paul Hackett.

He's a "Parcells guy" so naturally Woody Johnson is infatuated with him. But he hasn't at all been with the Jets for the past 10 years. Pretty sure he was the one who fixed up Romo's throwing motion. Did it in 1 offseason as well, if I recall reading about it. Whatever choking history Romo has had over the years it has nothing to do with his QB coach.

Yeah, so a QB coach is kinda like a hitting coach in baseball.

Pennington clearly had a better season than the year before when he seemed to be throwing a pick-6 every week. Pennington had some nice things to say about him and working with him. Then again, Pennington always gushed about Paul Hackett.

people always want to kill a coach when a guy sucks under his tutelage.  They never give him credit when the guy shines, though.  A position coach can only do so much.  If you are a bed wetter, you are a bed wetter.  Geno is a bed wetter.

people always want to kill a coach when a guy sucks under his tutelage.  They never give him credit when the guy shines, though.  A position coach can only do so much.  If you are a bed wetter, you are a bed wetter.  Geno is a bed wetter.

It would seem so. Like his predecessor.

Sucks to be a Jets fan. This is hardly news.

would agree...but doubtful its a coincidence the oline and special teams have gone to total sh*t after Callahan and Westhoff left. Also, didnt Westhoff's assistant quit after one year on the job? West Point guy if memory serves.

would agree...but doubtful its a coincidence the oline and special teams have gone to total sh*t after Callahan and Westhoff left. Also, didnt Westhoff's assistant quit after one year on the job? West Point guy if memory serves.

Didn't our special teams suck in Westhoff's last year here? I think it did.

It is a little bit of a coincidence as far as the OL. More talented players were replaced with less talented players. And the 2 who remain aren't the players they once were (Ferguson in particular). Mangold is still the best player on the line, as he was back then. At his current playing level, if Mangold was the weak link among our starters we'd have the best OL in the past 20 years.

But Callahan was always thought of as a top-notch OL coach. Thing is he wasn't going to stay as purely an OL coach while others are willing to make him their OC. He's either your OC or he's not involved with your team.

Didn't our special teams suck in Westhoff's last year here? I think it did.

It is a little bit of a coincidence as far as the OL. More talented players were replaced with less talented players. And the 2 who remain aren't the players they once were (Ferguson in particular). Mangold is still the best player on the line, as he was back then. At his current playing level, if Mangold was the weak link among our starters we'd have the best OL in the past 20 years.

But Callahan was always thought of as a top-notch OL coach. Thing is he wasn't going to stay as purely an OL coach while others are willing to make him their OC. He's either your OC or he's not involved with your team.

Just from a discipline and penalty standpoint...it's sloppy football with sloppy coaching. There's no discipline at any level of the staff anymore. You screw up and its a joke...no one cares. How was Winters never benched? 

And Westhoff has enough of a track record to be exonerated for one bad season. Does our special teams personnel suck? Special teams is 100% coaching and practice/repetition. The Jets dont look like they practice KR/PR.

I think that is Kotwica

Just from a discipline and penalty standpoint...it's sloppy football with sloppy coaching. There's no discipline at any level of the staff anymore. You screw up and its a joke...no one cares. How was Winters never benched? 

And Westhoff has enough of a track record to be exonerated for one bad season. Does our special teams personnel suck? Special teams is 100% coaching and pracice.

I have nothing bad to say about Westhoff. I wonder what type of HC he might have been if he was up to the task physically.

I was watching the Colts Steelers game and Luck threw a touchdown pass and immediately went to the sidelines looking at pictures of the defense. Geno throws a pick goes to the sidelines and is sitting there alone. Not that it would do any good, but shouldn't there be a coach doing the same. I haven't seen that yet.

I was watching the Colts Steelers game and Luck threw a touchdown pass and immediately went to the sidelines looking at pictures of the defense. Geno throws a pick goes to the sidelines and is sitting there alone. Not that it would do any good, but shouldn't there be a coach doing the same. I haven't seen that yet.

Others have brought this up as well. I missed a lot of this season but going back to 2013 I don't recall seeing Geno looking at those still images on the sideline. Usually he's sulking on the sideline with a towel over his head. Sanchez before him same thing minus the terrycloth headgear.

Archived