The Consequence of Winston?

win4ever

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a different kind of intelligence a QB needs. Brett Favre was a dumbass.

You're not wrong here and I can't put my finger on it - but Terry Bradshaw ain't giving any commencement speeches either. It's like a street smarts combined with a ton of confidence. 

You're not wrong here and I can't put my finger on it - but Terry Bradshaw ain't giving any commencement speeches either. It's like a street smarts combined with a ton of confidence. 

There's a great book called "How We Decide" by Johan Lehrer that opens with Tom Brady and what happens in the moment during a football game. It's much more complicated than just having a high IQ.

I think if this were 10-15 years ago, he's a top 15 pick hands down. I'd like to see him get another shot at Michigan St, IMO it's not fair if that game knocks him out of the Heisman convo. Should be a real fun game when they play Wisconsin in 2 weeks and we get to see him square off against Gordon.

Gregory is the real deal too. Nebraska's a tough team.

Agree. Gregory will be a Great pro.  Love the way they move him around. He will be a game changer in the NFL.

There's a great book called "How We Decide" by Johan Lehrer that opens with Tom Brady and what happens in the moment during a football game. It's much more complicated than just having a high IQ.

It's a specialized kind of intelligence.  You don't need to by a physics major to play football, but there's something about the best QB's that suggest they have a supercomputer type brain for football. 

It reminds me a bit of people who play guitar really well.  Their fingers move insanely fast because their brain works quickly.  It doesn't mean they're book smart, and you don't have to be.  It's just that their brain operates at a quicker pace than the rest of us.  The difference with QB's, of course, is that this rapid brain activity has to do with spatial awareness too.  When you have the physical tools, personality and the confidence to go with that "quick" brain, you get a special QB.  And you really need all four qualities to be great. 

That's why it's the hardest position to evaluate.  A tape of a guy making throws to wide open receivers on superior college teams doesn't always translate to the NFL.  SEE:  Sanchez, Mark.

It's a specialized kind of intelligence.  You don't need to by a physics major to play football, but there's something about the best QB's that suggest they have a supercomputer type brain for football. 

It reminds me a bit of people who play guitar really well.  Their fingers move insanely fast because their brain works quickly.  It doesn't mean they're book smart, and you don't have to be.  It's just that their brain operates at a quicker pace than the rest of us.  The difference with QB's, of course, is that this rapid brain activity has to do with spatial awareness too.  When you have the physical tools, personality and the confidence to go with that "quick" brain, you get a special QB.  And you really need all four qualities to be great. 

That's why it's the hardest position to evaluate.  A tape of a guy making throws to wide open receivers on superior college teams doesn't always translate to the NFL.  SEE:  Sanchez, Mark.

A lot of it is also the emotional decision making part of the brain. There is a certain "feel" that has nothing to do with sitting at a desk with a number two pencil.

Again, Dan Marino is, to me, the greatest QB ever (outside of Peyton) and he scored 15 when 22 (I think) is average.

The guy stole crab legs and forced himself on, at least, one woman.

All this knowing he had 1st overall written all over him? Do you want to gamble first overall on this dum-dum? Hell suddenly make wise choices with millions in his pocket.

I really dont like him. also, he doesnt scream 1st overall when i watch him on the field either.

POS...pass. I'm gonna head to draft daddy for the rest of the year..watch more college ball, and return to you with my final decision on my Bacon-flavored Ritz Prospect of the Year.

You're anticipation could never be as high as it is right now.

If you could convince me Winston had true franchise ability it would be worth the risk.  But his stock falling as a player too tells me perhaps Kelvin Benjamin made Winston and not the other way around.

Rashard Geene routinely takes 5 yard curl routes to the house.  Nick O'Leary roams the field unguarded 90% of the game.  He plays behind a NFL caliber OL and throws to wide-open, uncovered, 5 star recruits playing in the weakest conference in college Football and has never faced a defense who actually plays defense.

Watch him this Thurs.  He's a one read QB, throwing to wide open receivers, all night long.  He's not overly impressive if asked to do anything else other than when he runs, which is an attribute a million college QB's have done before him.  Only difference is his size. 

He scares the sh*t out of me in the NFL...but damn, its hard to imagine passing on him in the draft when you're as desperate as the Jets when it comes the QB position.

I hope he plays Baseball and we dont have to worry about it.  haha

Yeah, only Ivy leaguers for us. Or guys from Duke. Those guys are always the best QBs.

It's a different kind of intelligence a QB needs. Brett Favre was a dumbass.

Ahh. no he was not. 

Of course I mean there has to be many other factors, strong arm, toughness, field smarts. 

I just dont want another Geno who is too dumb to play the game.

A lot of it is also the emotional decision making part of the brain. There is a certain "feel" that has nothing to do with sitting at a desk with a number two pencil.

Again, Dan Marino is, to me, the greatest QB ever (outside of Peyton) and he scored 15 when 22 (I think) is average.

I agree completely there has to be that feel,    I just dont want to draft a moron.

As for marino, who btw if playing today would throw for 70 td's a year with the new rules, must have been high when he took that test.

I will look but I bet not one good qb drafted the last 10 to 15 years waqs any good that scored under 25. 

*edit to 25 as I have looked that is a better line to draw.

Terry Bradshaw also was not a great QB.  Phil Simms level which means I take Bert Jones and Ken Anderson over them all day. 

As Joe Jets fan said, Marino might have been high when he took it.  He certainly didn't seem to be looking to maximize his draft stock. 

Terry Bradshaw also was not a great QB.  Phil Simms level which means I take Bert Jones and Ken Anderson over them all day. 

Yeah - you're right. Canton is filled with a bunch of mediocre knuckleheads.

Yeah - you're right. Canton is filled with a bunch of mediocre knuckleheads.

He is more overrated than Namath.  Take that how you want.  I don't think he ever sniffed being the best QB in the NFL. A quality player, but he was riding defense and a great supporting cast.  That is why I compared him to Simms.  

He is more overrated than Namath.  Take that how you want.  I don't think he ever sniffed being the best QB in the NFL. A quality player, but he was riding defense and a great supporting cast.  That is why I compared him to Simms.  

Dude, I'm not saying he's ever been the best at anything  - only that he is a HOF QB and is dumber than a bag full of hammers in many respects. 

Many or most?

I can only go by the time I came upon him guzzeling some blonde in the passenger seat of a Lincoln in front God and everyone in the park to register circle of a Marriott back in the late 70's - and it wasn't JoJo Starbuck. 2:30 in the afternoon. The guy I was with went up to the open window and said "Terry, I know you're busy  - but how bout an autograph? Which got him the deserved GTFO. Although it was before camera phones and E! - c'mon man  - what a dumbazz 

What would happen if we drafted Winston?

Would the media think we're a joke?

Would other fanbases think lower of us? 

Would our fans revolt againt the team? 

Would you stop watching?  

In a convoluted fashion, aren't we the PERFECT landing spot for Winston?

The media already hates us, goes out of their way to make sure to kick us when we're down.  And short of drafting the next Luck, it's going to be that way.  

Other fanbases think we're a joke, so unless we start winning, that's going to be the way anyway.   

Our "fans" revolt because we want a winner.  There were plenty of people calling for Vick to start, and no one liked him as a person before the season.  

You most likely won't stop watching if you are here reading this the day after we fell to 1-7.  

Just from an on the field perspective, Winston is a stud.  He seems to a leader, always talking to his offensive players on the sideline, pumping them up, and his teammates seem to love him.   His talent level is great, very good arm, size, and decent mobility.  People couldn't wait for EJ Manuel to leave so Winston could take over, and once he did, I don't think they've lost.  

If Winston fails and screws up, could we go much lower than where we are right now?  

Plenty of teams have taken shots at guys with immense talent, and off the field issues.  Dez, Blackmon, Gordon come to mind.  One worked out great, one not so great, and one in the middle with suspensions.   Don't we have to take the shot now if we get a chance at Winston?

I'm not really arguing Winston over Mariotta, I'm just arguing the prospective of us picking Winston here.  

Dude, I would draft Attila the Hun or Adolf Hitler if he could win games for the Jets. As far as I am concerned rapists, child molesters, and criminals in general should ALL be on the radar for this bunch of losers. There is no "character" issue that would dissuade me from taking them if they could win football games. Let the police sort them out afterward.

As Joe Jets fan said, Marino might have been high when he took it.  He certainly didn't seem to be looking to maximize his draft stock. 

If you don't think Bradshaw was a great QB you never saw him play. best deep ball thrower EVER. Right on the money from any distance. He ain't a nobel laureate but he didn't have to be...he was football smart. Smart enough to hand off to Franco Harris and throw to Lynn Swann and John Stallworth. Smart enough to not put a HOF defense in dutch with turnovers and he won FOUR SUPER BOWLS. Overrated my a$$. This guy was one of the best ever.

If you don't think Bradshaw was a great QB you never saw him play. best deep ball thrower EVER. Right on the money from any distance. He ain't a nobel laureate but he didn't have to be...he was football smart. Smart enough to hand off to Franco Harris and throw to Lynn Swann and John Stallworth. Smart enough to not put a HOF defense in dutch with turnovers and he won FOUR SUPER BOWLS. Overrated my a$$. This guy was one of the best ever.

I saw him play plenty.  He did not sniff being the best ever at anything.  Throwing deep is easy, especially when it is to Swan and Stallworth.  The reciever has time to adjust under the ball. Hell, Geno supposedly threw a great deep ball last year.  Besides, the best?  Daryle Lamonica says go scratch your ass. He did not suck, but he could not carry Bert Jones' jock.  Smart enough to win 4 super bowls?  My hero.  Put him with Aikman, not Marino.  His team had an all-time defense, all-time running game and 2 HOF WRs.  Trent DIlfer wins the super bowl with less. 

Rashard Geene routinely takes 5 yard curl routes to the house.  Nick O'Leary roams the field unguarded 90% of the game.  He plays behind a NFL caliber OL and throws to wide-open, uncovered, 5 star recruits playing in the weakest conference in college Football and has never faced a defense who actually plays defense.

Watch him this Thurs.  He's a one read QB, throwing to wide open receivers, all night long.  He's not overly impressive if asked to do anything else other than when he runs, which is an attribute a million college QB's have done before him.  Only difference is his size. 

This. It's nice to see someone evaluate Winston who actually watches CFB. Not only is he a low-character perp, but the mythology of him as a player is the result of him being surrounded by immense talent. It's also no coincidence that his stock as a player is dropping this year now that he doesn't have Benjamin to throw to as well.

Ha!  What round is he projected to go in the MLB draft?  He'd have to be taken like top 10 to go that route and no MLB team is doing that.

He was drafted in like the 15th round or something out of High School by the Rangers.

They're saying he's a 1st round prospect in both leagues these days.  6'5 and throws 95+.  The way baseball is played nowadays...he'd go pretty high, I think.

Dude, I would draft Attila the Hun or Adolf Hitler if he could win games for the Jets. As far as I am concerned rapists, child molesters, and criminals in general should ALL be on the radar for this bunch of losers. There is no "character" issue that would dissuade me from taking them if they could win football games. Let the police sort them out afterward.

Just based on what he does on the field, he's a great prospect. He's not perfect on the field, as others have alluded to, plays with a great cast of players including great OL. But the talent is there, good accuracy, touch, great arm, size, good mobility. I think Mariotta will go ahead of him because of the off the field issues and because he's extremely talented as well. But if we're picking at say 4 or 5 and Winston drops, I could see us making the move for him.

Are you two mental?

Last night Winston showed why he has zero chance of being good in the nfl. He was awful for 3/4 of the game. Any pressure in the pocket and he folds. He should of thrown 5 ints last night. Coming back to beat the 25th college team isn't nfl ready.

The only reason they won was two lucky fumbles that changed the tempo and his receivers be wide open to make big plays on top of Cook having a long TD run.

Winston is another Geno Smith.

Last night Winston showed why he has zero chance of being good in the nfl. 

Zero chance is a little strong. 

All of these guys coming out have flaws. Except for Andrew Luck there are no sure things in the draft. and Luck comes along once every 15-20 years. Literally once a generation. 

The Jets should take more gambles. They should have drafted another QB like Johnny Football or Jimmy G. They should draft a QB in the first or second round every year, until they find a Pro Bowler. 

Zero chance is a little strong.

All of these guys coming out have flaws. Except for Andrew Luck there are no sure things in the draft. and Luck comes along once every 15-20 years. Literally once a generation.

The Jets should take more gambles. They should have drafted another QB like Johnny Football or Jimmy G. They should draft a QB in the first or second round every year, until they find a Pro Bowler.

He's awful when pressured and throws the ball into double and triple coverage all the time. He should of had 5 ints last night not 3.

He's awful when pressured and throws the ball into double and triple coverage all the time. He should of had 5 ints last night not 3.

Winston unlike Smith finds a way to win even after his mistakes. 

All of these guys in college have to get better.  Lest we forget these are boys. If there was a camera on me every week when I was 20 the nation would have been exposed to some dumb s--t. 20 year olds usually do dumb s--t. That doesn't mean they can't grow up. 

There are no perfect prospects. We shouldn't let perfect be the enemy of the good. 

Archived