The Consequence of Winston?

win4ever

Winston unlike Smith finds a way to win even after his mistakes.

All of these guys in college have to get better. Lest we forget these are boys. If there was a camera on me every week when I was 20 the nation would have been exposed to some dumb s--t. 20 year olds usually do dumb s--t. That doesn't mean they can't grow up.

There are no perfect prospects. We shouldn't let perfect be the enemy of the good.

His team found ways to win. He found ways to get them behind.

And they're lucky as ****.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you two mental?

Last night Winston showed why he has zero chance of being good in the nfl. He was awful for 3/4 of the game. Any pressure in the pocket and he folds. He should of thrown 5 ints last night. Coming back to beat the 25th college team isn't nfl ready.

The only reason they won was two lucky fumbles that changed the tempo and his receivers be wide open to make big plays on top of Cook having a long TD run.

Winston is another Geno Smith.

Every throw he completed was to someone wide open receivers.   Every throw that there was any resemblance of decent coverage he missed.  He stares down receivers, one read QB who throws into double and triple coverage, hence the multiple pick games.  They dropped 2 easy picks, one that was a sure game changing pick 6.

He scares the ever living sh*t out of me but again, its hard to look past the fact he keeps on winning, keeps on bringing his team back and does under some of the most intense pressure and scrutiny I've ever seen.

His team found ways to win. He found ways to get them behind.

And they're lucky as ****.

Look we can spend all day bashing Winston but the supply of college QBs is short. The Jets will be lucky to get an opportunity to draft this player, or Mariota. 

let's not pretend like the Jets are too good for Jameis Winston. They'd be lucky to get this player. 

we are talking about a guy that's still realistically in the conversation to go 1 overall. 

Look we can spend all day bashing Winston but the supply of college QBs is short. The Jets will be lucky to get an opportunity to draft this player, or Mariota.

let's not pretend like the Jets are too good for Jameis Winston. They'd be lucky to get this player.

we are talking about a guy that's still realistically in the conversation to go 1 overall.

That's a retarded way to look at it. There's a short supply so we should just say **** it and draft a sh*tty player. Use the pick on Oline or WR and pick up a vet.

That's a retarded way to look at it. There's a short supply so we should just say **** it and draft a sh*tty player. Use the pick on Oline or WR and pick up a vet.

there's also no guarantee on OL or WR.  None of these guys are guarantees.  they should be drafting competition.  

to use a baseball metaphor you can't hit a home run if you don't even swing. 

there's also no guarantee on OL or WR. None of these guys are guarantees. they should be drafting competition.

No kidding but you go by what you see and if there's a ton if red flags you don't draft them. Geno is a really good example of that.

This season? I'd have him 3rd behind Mariotta and Prescott as of right now.

It's a real shame that the NFL has changed their version of the game this much. Was in Lincoln this past weekend, and I must say that a lifetime ago Ameer Abdullah would have been one heck of a player to land where we'll be drafting. That kid is stuck coming out in the wrong era.

In Lincoln?!?!?!? - should've looked me up!!!

there's also no guarantee on OL or WR. None of these guys are guarantees. they should be drafting competition.

The difference of course being that missing on OL or WR at the top of the draft doesn't cost you 2-3 seasons while you're waiting to see if they can pan out or keep themselves from raping and stealing seafood.

Agree, but I think Winston's the real deal....he's as good as a passer as we'll get coming out. Andrew Luck and Russell WIlsons are rare...

No kidding but you go by what you see and if there's a ton if red flags you don't draft them. Geno is a really good example of that.

Tom Brady had red flags that dropped him to the 6th round. There's no perfect prospect waiting for the Jets at the end of the rainbow. They all have red flags. My hope is they take a chance every draft, high in the draft, until they find that guy. 

The difference of course being that missing on OL or WR at the top of the draft doesn't cost you 2-3 seasons while you're waiting to see if they can pan out or keep themselves from raping and stealing seafood.

drafting a QB doesn't have to cost you any seasons. 1st off the days of 50 million mark sanchez death contracts are over. If the guy sucks you bench him like EJ Manuel. It's not hard. Let there be competition. 

drafting a QB doesn't have to cost you any seasons. 1st off the days of 50 million mark sanchez death contracts are over. If the guy sucks you bench him like EJ Manuel. It's not hard. Let there be competition.

And the Bills lost two years that they could have spent searching for someone else. What is so hard about this to understand? Draft someone high and that's who your committed to evaluating for the next 2-4 seasons.

Agree, but I think Winston's the real deal....he's as good as a passer as we'll get coming out. Andrew Luck and Russell WIlsons are rare...

I've watch almost every game he's played and just see to many holes. I agree that Lucks only come around once in a while but that doesn't mean you need to reach in the 1st or 2nd for a QB that you know isn't a quality nfl QB. The Jets have plenty of other spots needed.

Tom Brady had red flags that dropped him to the 6th round. There's no perfect prospect waiting for the Jets at the end of the rainbow. They all have red flags. My hope is they take a chance every draft, high in the draft, until they find that guy.

Tom Brady is winning the lotto and he was well worth a 6th round pick. We take Winston in the 6th I have zero problem with it.

If we're really dumb enough to draft Winston, we deserve everything bad that comes our way as a consequence.

If his wonderlick is over 35 then yes. If not then no fing way.

No more QBs that are not brilliant.

I don't care what his name is, where he comes from, the next QB just has to be smart

no more dummies

+1.  

The Jets need to stay away from Winston.... stay far, far away.

At best, he is Vince Young 2.0.  

Just listen to this post game interview...... he is sooooo dumb.

How many more years of atrocious QB play do we need to endure before people realize that we can't keep passing on top prospects for fear of said player failing?

Unless there's a better QB prospect on the board when we pick, this guy should absolutely be selected.

+1.  

The Jets need to stay away from Winston.... stay far, far away.

At best, he is Vince Young 2.0.  

Just listen to this post game interview...... he is sooooo dumb.

that is one dumb MFer Perfect for Rex and Idzik

Proud to be a Florida State Senimole

Cant even pronounce his own teams name

I'm not sure how he sounds has that much of an effect on his progression. I watched that documentary "Elway to Marino" and honestly Elway sounded, and somewhat looked like he had Down syndrome. (On a side note, they went out of their way to bash the O'brien pick for us, even though there were plenty of worse losers who were picked ahead)

Prior to the rape allegations, Winston was compared to Andrew Luck in terms of prospect status, so I think the physical tools are there. His mental issues are what's going to keep him from the top pick in this draft. But I think taking a shot at him if he is there at say 5 is a risk we should take IMO. We're not going anywhere without a Qb, and I'd take a shot at the most talented guy with good production and see what happens.

Besides Mariotta, who should be ranked ahead, all the other QBs that are going to be available have major question marks. Hundley is inconsistent, Cook has trouble with pressure and might not even come out. Others have talent problems, or competition issues to the point that we're taking shots in the dark.

If there was a can't miss guy coming out the year after, I would have no problem not taking the risk, but next year is a question mark as well. I think the next big thing guy is the freshman that is going to start for Texas A&M, who someone compared to Aaron Rodgers in terms of arm talent. I thought Hackenberg could be a good one, but he's regressed this year, so he doesn't look like a sure fire stud either.

It's not ideal, but at where we are going to end up picking, the choices seem to be Qb, OL, defensive end, or trade down and pick WR. With such a high pick, I want to take the shot on the position that has the highest impact.

I'm not sure how he sounds has that much of an effect on his progression. I watched that documentary "Elway to Marino" and honestly Elway sounded, and somewhat looked like he had Down syndrome. (On a side note, they went out of their way to bash the O'brien pick for us, even though there were plenty of worse losers who were picked ahead)

Prior to the rape allegations, Winston was compared to Andrew Luck in terms of prospect status, so I think the physical tools are there. His mental issues are what's going to keep him from the top pick in this draft. But I think taking a shot at him if he is there at say 5 is a risk we should take IMO. We're not going anywhere without a Qb, and I'd take a shot at the most talented guy with good production and see what happens.

Besides Mariotta, who should be ranked ahead, all the other QBs that are going to be available have major question marks. Hundley is inconsistent, Cook has trouble with pressure and might not even come out. Others have talent problems, or competition issues to the point that we're taking shots in the dark.

If there was a can't miss guy coming out the year after, I would have no problem not taking the risk, but next year is a question mark as well. I think the next big thing guy is the freshman that is going to start for Texas A&M, who someone compared to Aaron Rodgers in terms of arm talent. I thought Hackenberg could be a good one, but he's regressed this year, so he doesn't look like a sure fire stud either.

It's not ideal, but at where we are going to end up picking, the choices seem to be Qb, OL, defensive end, or trade down and pick WR. With such a high pick, I want to take the shot on the position that has the highest impact.

Agree

If he's there Jets should take a shot at him

Totally agree, as long as the same people who gave us Clemmons, Sanchez. and Geno have NOTHING to do with the drafting process. For what it's worth, heard Gary Danielson on Francesa yesterday. Thinks Winston has Luck talent, and thinks Amari Cooper same talent level as Larry Fitzgerald and Megatron. Pretty high praise from a guy who does nothing but watch college football. Maybe Woody should hire him?

I'm drafting this kid to play quarterback, not do my f*cking taxes. I don't care how stupid or slow he sounds, there's a difference between being smart and football smart, this kid just seems to have it. He's a black Brett Favre and I want me some of that.

I agree in principle, but there's a limit. He walked around the FSU campus shooting squirrels with a BB gun.

Sounds better than it would work in real life. If you miss, you're cutting a high draft pick every couple years, and probably missing out on better prospects every year as a result, too (QBs always get overdrafted early). High pick one year, mid round the next would be more like it for me. This year they should've taken a mid round guy for sure. Next year, obviously, they need to look first round.

If were talking about taking chances in a top 5 pick, maybe that's part of the reason we're a top 5 pick?

With that said..if jets feel they NEED to take a chance with that pick and pull the trigger on a QB, make it someone other than Winston.

Give me a pocket passer from a pro-style offense please.

If not, give me Mariota.

Best case scenario? Give me an NFL free agent QB.

I agree in principle, but there's a limit. He walked around the FSU campus shooting squirrels with a BB gun.

Very true, and I'm usually the one who's hesitant of drafting kids with the character issues that Jameis has, but I'm really f*cking tired of losing and despite all of his off-the-field issues, he's a talented kid.  Christ, I really don't even like him, but if he can keep his ass out of jail, I think he's got a shot to be a very good QB.  

*This is all predicated on Rex no longer being our head coach. I love the guy, but there's a 0.0% chance that Jameis could function under him. Rex makes Jimbo Fischer look like a hard-assed Tom Coughlin.

Sounds better than it would work in real life. If you miss, you're cutting a high draft pick every couple years, and probably missing out on better prospects every year as a result, too (QBs always get overdrafted early). High pick one year, mid round the next would be more like it for me. This year they should've taken a mid round guy for sure. Next year, obviously, they need to look first round.

Not even trying for one this year seems even stranger in hindsight than it did on draft weekend. If Idzik really was not only that confident in Geno, but also too scared to risk hurting his feelings, then **** it all.

Archived