My case for signing Brian Hoyer after the season.

Villain The Foe

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think we should sign Brian Hoyer?

• Yes
    • No
    • Resign Tim Tebow.

Brian Hoyer is similar to Alex Smith. He's a game manager who rarely turns the ball over (7 INT's the past 3 seasons) and averages one passing TD per game started. With being a run heavy team with a QB who wont turn the ball over, sustain drives and will provide a TD on average, I say that we find a way to sign this guy and draft a QB to sit on the bench behind him for a year or two. At Hoyer's pace this year he's projected to throw just under 4,000 yards with 18 TD's and just 5 INT's. This is a guy who's doing this without his best WR in Gordon. Place Hoyer with Decker, Amaro and Harvin with a competent OC and I think that we will give our defense and this team as a whole a chance for a future. 

What do you think? 

Hoyer would be fine if we replaced the OL with studs who could run block.  Otherwise, no.

Its not like they can pass block either. We need a guy who is at least competent at the position. Brian Hoyer is the only guy that I know can win in the NFL who will be out of his current job at the end of the season, which I think is a bad decision by Cleveland if they do let him go. What would you do instead? 

Its not like they can pass block either. We need a guy who is at least competent at the position. Brian Hoyer is the only guy that I know can win in the NFL who will be out of his current job at the end of the season, which I think is a bad decision by Cleveland if they do let him go. What would you do instead? 

Do you think Hoyer will definitely be out of a job?  Cleveland looking good with Josh Gordon coming back soon...

Hoyer is the exact kind of guy that I would sign cause he'd probably be an upgrade, but not for real money.

Agree with ya but not spending money helped get us into this mess (along with huge whiff at qb). So you don't break bank on Hoyer of course not but if by osome miracle someone like oh I don't know cutler/dalton type quality guy is available then you do "overpay" in picks or contract

Do you think Hoyer will definitely be out of a job?  Cleveland looking good with Josh Gordon coming back soon...

My personal opinion, yes. Do I think its a good idea? No. I think that Brian Hoyer gives Manziel a year in the system as well as a chance for Manziel to have Gordon next year for the entire year. I think that Cleveland wants to get Manziel on the field sooner rather than later. 

I will give them this, it was the right decision to keep him on the bench this year, however I can't see them keeping a guy that they drafted with the 22nd pick in the draft on the bench for a 2nd year. He's a first rounder for a reason, and their fans is thirsting for Johnny football. 

Hoyer's been playing lousy lately, which should lower his market value a bit.  He's the best we're going to get in free agency.  

He had a two game slide against Pit and the Jags, though they snuck out with a win against Pit which was big. 

Those two games he completed 39% and 47% of his passes but of his other 5 games 4 of them was over 60%, one of those over 75% and the last one was 57%. And with those two bad games, he threw a grand total of just 1 int, which is why they were able to split those games because even if he isn't playing well, he wont kill your team with turnovers. The Jets has to be the worst INT team the past 5-6 years. 

Hoyer overall is having a very solid year. This is a QB who beat Brees and almost bit Roethilsberger twice. He can keep you in a football game, something that we haven't had since......well, I dont know lol. 

Problem with Hoyer is two things, one he wants to sign a long term contract for good money, and two wants to be the future franchise QB, he won't be happy if there is a young first round QB sitting behind him, as of now the only reason he might be available is because he refuses to sign any sort of extension with Manziel on the team.

So it's either gamble like KC did with Smith that Hoyer can be your long term plan, or draft a early QB, and sign a different vet who won't complain about the young first rounder your franchise just drafted.

Problem with Hoyer is two things, one he wants to sign a long term contract for good money, and two wants to be the future franchise QB, he won't be happy if there is a young first round QB sitting behind him, as of now the only reason he might be available is because he refuses to sign any sort of extension with Manziel on the team.

So it's either gamble like KC did with Smith that Hoyer can be your long term plan, or draft a early QB, and sign a different vet who won't complain about the young first rounder your franchise just drafted.

That is in fact a problem for Hoyer, not a football team. Hoyer will be 30 years old next season. His "long-term contract for good money" days are over. he can for sure get a nice 2 to 4 year deal for nice money though. Anything over 4 years at that age is ridiculous. Hoping to get a 4 year 68 million dollar deal like Alex Smith did is also ridiculous. Brian Hoyer for all the praising that I've just given him is basically a poor man's Alex Smith. The difference is Smith has the long term experience playing for two teams and succeeding in the playoffs. Brian Hoyer put together some nice games last year with the Browns though this is his first time in his career that he's thrown for over 1,000 yards in a season. You can tell that the talent is there, but anticipation and accomplishment are two different things. If Hoyer finds away to match his projection stats though he'll put up a nice case given that he is on pace to throw right under 4000 yards and 18 TD's. 

In his first full season I still can't see giving him an Alex Smith deal. I'd give him a deal kinda like what Seattle gave Flynn, 3 years, 25 million dollars....maybe even 30 million if there really is a market for him. 

That is in fact a problem for Hoyer, not a football team. Hoyer will be 30 years old next season. His "long-term contract for good money" days are over. he can for sure get a nice 2 to 4 year deal for nice money though. Anything over 4 years at that age is ridiculous. Hoping to get a 4 year 68 million dollar deal like Alex Smith did is also ridiculous. Brian Hoyer for all the praising that I've just given him is basically a poor man's Alex Smith. The difference is Smith has the long term experience playing for two teams and succeeding in the playoffs. Brian Hoyer put together some nice games last year with the Browns though this is his first time in his career that he's thrown for over 1,000 yards in a season. You can tell that the talent is there, but anticipation and accomplishment are two different things. If Hoyer finds away to match his projection stats though he'll put up a nice case given that he is on pace to throw right under 4000 yards and 18 TD's. 

In his first full season I still can't see giving him an Alex Smith deal. I'd give him a deal kinda like what Seattle gave Flynn, 3 years, 25 million dollars....maybe even 30 million if there really is a market for him.

Do you really want to give a guy who is refusing to talk contract with the Browns unless they trade Manziel a 3 year 25 million dollar deal, only to have him bitch, and moan because you drafted a QB early in the draft? I also can't see Hoyer signing with any team who is in position to draft a much needed QB early in the draft like the Jets probably will be in position to do.

Do you really want to give a guy who is refusing to talk contract with the Browns unless they trade Manziel a 3 year 25 million dollar deal, only to have him bitch, and moan because you drafted a QB early in the draft? I also can't see Hoyer signing with any team who is in position to draft a much needed QB early in the draft like the Jets probably will be in position to do.

Doesnt have to be hoyer necessarily but we need a vet/babysitter for whoever we get. Wish to God we got orton

Doesnt have to be hoyer necessarily but we need a vet/babysitter for whoever we get. Wish to God we got orton

I agree, just saying Hoyer has let it be known he has no interest in being a vet\babysitter he wants his shot to be THE GUY, I can't blame him. That said I don't want a guy who is going to bitch, and moan if there is a young QB behind him like he is doing now in Cleveland.

Brian Hoyer is similar to Alex Smith. He's a game manager who rarely turns the ball over (7 INT's the past 3 seasons) and averages one passing TD per game started. With being a run heavy team with a QB who wont turn the ball over, sustain drives and will provide a TD on average, I say that we find a way to sign this guy and draft a QB to sit on the bench behind him for a year or two. At Hoyer's pace this year he's projected to throw just under 4,000 yards with 18 TD's and just 5 INT's. This is a guy who's doing this without his best WR in Gordon. Place Hoyer with Decker, Amaro and Harvin with a competent OC and I think that we will give our defense and this team as a whole a chance for a future. 

What do you think? 

I read that he won't sign in Cleveland if they still have Manziel there.

Of course not. You tell him what your intentions are. The Jets preach "competition" at every position. If he's successful at the position, so much so that he keeps us from replacing him then he's in fact earning every last dollar of the 25 million+ he's making. The fact that he's on the market means that his intentions with Cleveland fell through. Also, as a Free Agent, he has the right to seek out the best deal for himself so if he did accept a deal with the Jets it will be based on the direction of the franchise. Matt Flynn signed a 3 year deal for 25 million and got benched by a 3rd stringer. I bet that Matt Flynn was complaining, I bet the hawks gave a rat's ass about his complaining. 

If we find a QB in the draft it wont matter, if we bust with the draft pick at least we have someone who can operate at the position without throwing a pick every 5 attempts. Besides, what team could Hoyer possibly sign with that isn't looking to possibly draft a qb early? If you're in the market for Hoyer to be your starter, then I'd automatically assume that you'd also be considering drafting a QB within the first 3 rounds just given the fact that if you sign Hoyer he's probably the best QB on your roster and he'll be 30 next year. 

Malzahn + Mariotta.  

It could blow up like Spurrier in Washington but it will at least be fun to watch.  

Hoyer is the exact kind of guy that I would sign cause he'd probably be an upgrade, but not for real money.

I never get when the majority of Jets fans who say this,

"but not for real money".

Who the f$ck cares how much money is spent if you can improve your football team?

What did sitting on $22MM get the Jets this year?

Archived