Rex to the Falcons-PURE SPECULATION

flgreen

Who Should the Atlanta Falcons New Coach Be?

by Ernie Padaon 1h ago

The Atlanta Falcons were winning the game by 21 points and BLEW it. That is just the latest fail from the 2-6 Falcons.

After a team loses a 21 point lead and is sitting at 2-6 in the standings, people start to wonder about the head coach. They have been doing more than wondering already in Atlanta. They are already dreaming about the new head coach there.

Mike Smith must be feeling the heat from the fans. He is not sitting in a good way at the moment. There is no telling that Smith will be fired at the end of the season, but at this point it seems that he is closer to the unemployment line than in the Falcons front office next season.

If Mike Smith were to get canned by the team, who should the team look to as the next head coach?

I am sure that someone will mention the name Jon Gruden. His name gets mentioned in any possible opening that comes up, but I don’t think he wants to be a head coach any longer. He just likes to hear his name getting called from time to time. Don’t think that he would be a fit and I don’t believe that he will be a head coach any longer.

A name that could be available is Jim Harbaugh. There have been rumors all season about the San Francisco 49ers potentially letting him go after the season. If he becomes available, there will be a number of teams that would be interested in his services and he will have a high price tag.

Harbaugh would bring a nice fire to the sideline and could get this team to turn some things around. He would be a name that would get the fans fired up. Could Harbaugh turn the team around though?

Another name that could be looking for a job at the end of the year is New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan. Ryan doesn’t have the best reputation in developing an offense, but he could get the most out of the players on defense. If Ryan were able to bring over a solid offensive coordinator that could get the most out of Matt Ryan, Julio Jones and Roddy White, then it could be a nice stop for Ryan.

Who should the Falcons go after for the head coaching job next season? Should it be any of the names mentioned?

For more stories on the Falcons, check out our Atlanta Falcons section.

More NFL coverage from Sports Illustr

Lost me at "If Ryan were able to bring over a solid offensive coordinator...", already setting the foundation for someone else to catch the blame when Rex's offense inevitably sucks.

Also, he's had 3 of them here, and it just keeps getting worse... but yeah, nothing to do with Rex. Ridiculous.

Lost me at "If Ryan were able to bring over a solid offensive coordinator...", already setting the foundation for someone else to catch the blame when Rex's offense inevitably sucks.

Also, he's had 3 of them here, and it just keeps getting worse... but yeah, nothing to do with Rex. Ridiculous.

Rex raved about Sparano

I amazes me how many coordinators are hired at Head Coaches for their prowess on one side of the ball and then when they become a Head Coach, they're terrible on that side of the ball.  Its strange.  Mike Smith is an example.  Defensive coach who's defense has sucked every year he's been there.

I amazes me how many coordinators are hired at Head Coaches for their prowess on one side of the ball and then when they become a Head Coach, they're terrible on that side of the ball.  Its strange.  Mike Smith is an example.  Defensive coach who's defense has sucked every year he's been there.

The Falcons could have built a whole defense with the picks they used trading up for Julio... they did exactly what Tanny used to do, they went all-in and went for the "one missing piece" in Julio, assuming they had enough everywhere else to win. They swung and missed, just like Tanny did... and now they're in a similar mess to the one we're in. Dimitroff is a better GM than we've had in a long time, but he's still pretty over-rated.

Rex is not getting a HC job next year.  I felt if he got fired last year he might have, but so far this has been a disaster.

He'll be the first DC to get an offer and get paid A LOT to be a DC (and eventually get another shot as a HC) but no way he's get a HC offer this offseason.

The Falcons could have built a whole defense with the picks they used trading up for Julio... they did exactly what Tanny used to do, they went all-in and went for the "one missing piece" in Julio, assuming they had enough everywhere else to win. They swung and missed, just like Tanny did... and now they're in a similar mess to the one we're in. Dimitroff is a better GM than we've had in a long time, but he's still pretty over-rated.

Meh, the Julio draft pick wasnt the reason they dont have a D.  And they're in a much much better position than the Jets because they actually have a QB and offense well in place.  Granted, I think Matt Ryan is kind of gutless, in the very least, he's good enough to win you some games and not lose you any.  They've just been decimated by OL injuries.

And Dimitroff didnt do what Tanny did.  He's never had a draft with less than 6 picks, even the one they traded up for Julio.  Him and Smith, have had 50 picks since 2008 when they both joined the Falcons.  50 picks!  And the best player on D they've come away with is Sean Weatherspoon who cant stay healthy.

Dimitroff is overrated. Big time.  He gets credit for drafting Matt Ryan, which was the obvious thing to do after the Vick debacle.  And he gets credited for trading up for a cant miss, generational WR prospect.  Otherwise, he's literally the worst drafting GM in the league.

Archived