No more moves left for Rex

Ex-Rex

His decision to go with Michael Vick makes very little sense. Vick was almost as bad as Geno Smith, but maybe with a week to prepare with the first team it will get somewhat better. In reality there are very few if any decisions Rex can make that can turn this around. It is what it is and it is just bad. I think he should put Simms in after the bye week and let him finish the season. We know that Geno is not the guy by now, so what is there to lose? Its like the difference in starting Kyle Wilson or Antonio Allen at CB. They are equally bad and neither is adequate for the position. Simms may be a surprise, but then again the backup QB - or in this case the backup to the backup is now the most popular guy.

Rex should be fired on this decision alone. Vick isn't leading this team now or in the future who cares if we win 2-3 more games id rather fully evaluate Geno Smith or Matt Simms and see what we need to do in the off season.

Interesting Mark Sanchez had the very same results fact of the matter is who will be the next QB victim to be ruined by the NY Jets.

Rex should be fired on this decision alone. Vick isn't leading this team now or in the future who cares if we win 2-3 more games id rather fully evaluate Geno Smith or Matt Simms and see what we need to do in the off season.

Interesting Mark Sanchez had the very same results fact of the matter is who will be the next QB victim to be ruined by the NY Jets.

Seriously, do you really need to see more of Geno Smith? I don't. He is a one read QB, who is done if you take away that read. He is not a leader in ANY sense and it didn't take a trip to the movies to prove that to me. Geno Smith is a waste of time, but maybe Simms can show something. He looked pretty good in preseason. There was a time I thought he outplayed Geno and Vick.

Seriously, do you really need to see more of Geno Smith? I don't. He is a one read QB, who is done if you take away that read. He is not a leader in ANY sense and it didn't take a trip to the movies to prove that to me. Geno Smith is a waste of time, but maybe Simms can show something. He looked pretty good in preseason. There was a time I thought he outplayed Geno and Vick.

Part of me still thinks Geno Smith can be the future of this team. A good QB coach and head coach can usually fix a few issues. How many years did we give Stephen Hill?  Vick is far from the answer. I would also maybe sign Boyd back to the practice squad and see if he has anything. We are in a mess.

Yeah, there's a whole bunch of START MATT SIMMS threads. Dump this sh*t in there.

Anyone that wants to see Rex fired should be glad he switched to Vick. It will show that Rex loses with a veteran QB and not just "Idzik's QB being forced on poor Rex". 

add to that the likelihood of the adverse reaction of the rest of the roster if Smith was allowed to continue to be starter.  There would be a freaking mutiny among the rest of the team much larger than the one that was brewing about Sanchez.  Starting Vick has nothing to do with winning now or appeasing the fans.  It is all about keeping the players motivated and avoiding an out of control clubhouse rift.

Part of me still thinks Geno Smith can be the future of this team. A good QB coach and head coach can usually fix a few issues. How many years did we give Stephen Hill?  Vick is far from the answer. I would also maybe sign Boyd back to the practice squad and see if he has anything. We are in a mess.

Smith only sees a sliver of the field on every play.  Remarkably, his field vision is actually far worse than Sanchez's, something I thought was impossible.  This is one of the reasons he plays 99% of his snaps from the shotgun. But it's still not enough.  He has poor QB instincts.  Field vision can not be taught or coached up easily, if at all.  Smith has no future in the NFL beyond being a backup, much like Sanchez.  Time to move on.

And what did we get from Hill? Bad analogy there man. You could have said Vlad Ducasse or Kyle Wilson for that matter. Geno's troubles are unfixable IMO, The game is simply too fast for him. It has been pointed out by "experts" from Jon Gruden to Ron Jaworski that Geno doesn't read defenses well and can't handle the blitz. He also is not accurate throwing the ball, so I think playing him anymore is a waste of time. He will just do what he has been doing all along and what do we learn from that, that we don't already know? I only bring Simms into the conversation because he is all the Jets have left.

And what did we get from Hill? Bad analogy there man. You could have said Vlad Ducasse or Kyle Wilson for that matter. Geno's troubles are unfixable IMO, The game is simply too fast for him. It has been pointed out by "experts" from Jon Gruden to Ron Jaworski that Geno doesn't read defenses well and can't handle the blitz. He also is not accurate throwing the ball, so I think playing him anymore is a waste of time. He will just do what he has been doing all along and what do we learn from that, that we don't already know? I only bring Simms into the conversation because he is all the Jets have left.

I think it's more that he's inaccurate when the defense doesn't make it easy for him (not that it matters). I've seen him dead-on with a lot of throws (including ones called back or dropped that don't get reflected in his stats). But it would certainly seem he can't handle pressure, and can't handle what to do next when his primary is covered, so it doesn't matter.

I could give him a pass on a lot of his rookie season because it was obvious from his past experience that he had no business on the field yet. But he's had plenty of time, from that first season to the whole winter to the full spring/summer, to show way, way more than he has. 

The team does not value Simms. 

They do not think he'll ever be starter material.

If that isn't clear as day by now......well.

I could make the argument, though, that it's worth seeing if there's a point in keeping him around as a backup. And then this is an opportunity to give this backup some live action against live competition in meaningful games (meaningful for the opponents).

But the team's not going to accept it until Vick fails or gets injured (or if he's dogging it and the whole team can see). While it's in the best interest of the team to see if we need 3 new QBs or only 2 next year, the HC who's guaranteed to get fired doesn't care (nor should one expect him to).

Starting Vick is absolutely the right call.

Bottom line is he gives them the best chance to win.  He's a better QB than Geno right now (not that he's a lot better, but better none the less)

Geno's has now been fully evaluated and they now know is he not the future. - so put in the QB that gives you the best chance to win. 

What I took from the press conference is that a loss to the Steelers guarantees Rex getting fired over the bye week. And even if he survives that he still won't last past the season. But the "losing momentum" will be there for the move and that will mathematically end the Jets' season beyond any reasonable possibilities even if they win against KC and then the last 6 in a row (which isn't happening anyway).

If a HC is not in danger of losing his job during the season the answer is never something like, "We don't discuss contracts during the season," or whatever Idzik said. 

I think the main thing that's putting this off is that no one else has earned the promotion. They have 2 coordinators: one is doing terribly himself, and the other is a puppet/coordinator in title alone. The other thing is that, while the team should be doing better than they are, everyone knows this isn't exactly an all-star cast across the board and a really good job of coaching would mean we're at .500 this year (marginally above it at best).

What I took from the press conference is that a loss to the Steelers guarantees Rex getting fired over the bye week. And even if he survives that he still won't last past the season. But the "losing momentum" will be there for the move and that will mathematically end the Jets' season beyond any reasonable possibilities even if they win against KC and then the last 6 in a row (which isn't happening anyway).

If a HC is not in danger of losing his job during the season the answer is never something like, "We don't discuss contracts during the season," or whatever Idzik said. 

I think the main thing that's putting this off is that no one else has earned the promotion. They have 2 coordinators: one is doing terribly himself, and the other is a puppet/coordinator in title alone. The other thing is that, while the team should be doing better than they are, everyone knows this isn't exactly an all-star cast across the board and a really good job of coaching would mean we're at .500 this year (marginally above it at best).

There's no one left on the staff that could even be capable of being the interim coach though...that's a pretty scary sign as is. Closest would be Morniwheg but he kicked off to start an overtime....so you're right about that.

We know already Rex's lackeys Thurman and Weeks are useless.

There's no one left on the staff that could even be capable of being the interim coach though...that's a pretty scary sign as is. Closest would be Morniwheg but he kicked off to start an overtime....so you're right about that.

An Offensive Coordinator who deferred in OT. 

lmfao

Yeah, this is precisely what I'm saying.  If Westhoff was still an active coach with the team you could give the job to him for now at least, but he hasn't been a coach with the team since 2012. 

It's literally Ryan or Mornhinweg. Point is, handing the job to an OC who's doing a pretty lousy job himself doesn't accomplish any message-sending about holding even the top dog coach responsible. 

The team does not value Simms. 

They do not think he'll ever be starter material.

If that isn't clear as day by now......well.

If that is the case, he does NOT belong on the team. Then again, who tf cares what this team thinks? How accurate has their judgement been on QB's? Based on that fact alone, I have a strong belief that Simms may be much better than what this "coaching staff" thinks. 

I don't know what gave you that impression, if anything they seemed to be circling the wagons in their comments, not getting ready to make a mid-season firing. As terrifying a thought as it may be, I think it's entirely possible Woody keeps the ship of fools together for another season, regardless of record.

I don't know what gave you that impression, if anything they seemed to be circling the wagons in their comments, not getting ready to make a mid-season firing. As terrifying a thought as it may be, I think it's entirely possible Woody keeps the ship of fools together for another season, regardless of record.

What gave me that impression is what I said in that post. That he was asked whether Rex will make it through the rest of the season as the HC and he wouldn't answer. If the answer was "yes" then he would have answered. They asked him a few times and each time he wouldn't say Rex's job was safe even for the balance of this season.

If we lose to Pittsburgh and head into the bye week we'll find out for sure. Because that is the easiest opportunity to make a mid-season switch. It'll either be the loss that makes it impossible to finish with a winning record, or the loss that guarantees a losing record (depending on what happens in KC).

The only x-factor is I can't think of anyone on the staff to replace him. The only one that comes close is Mornhinweg and he's hardly earned the promotion. 

What gave me that impression is what I said in that post. That he was asked whether Rex will make it through the rest of the season as the HC and he wouldn't answer. If the answer was "yes" then he would have answered. They asked him a few times and each time he wouldn't say Rex's job was safe even for the balance of this season.

If we lose to Pittsburgh and head into the bye week we'll find out for sure. Because that is the easiest opportunity to make a mid-season switch. It'll either be the loss that makes it impossible to finish with a winning record, or the loss that guarantees a losing record (depending on what happens in KC).

The only x-factor is I can't think of anyone on the staff to replace him. The only one that comes close is Mornhinweg and he's hardly earned the promotion. 

I dont think Idzik can pull off that move mid-season and think he's going to attract a top notch Head Coach next season.  I know its unpopular around here and among the fans, but the league and those that are associated with it, I assure you think much higher of Rex Ryan than they do John Idzik. I'm confident if you asked around the league, that most people would point to Idzik before Rex when trying to figure out whats wrong with the Jets (or Woody). Rex has a lot more respect than Jets fans want to believe.

Idzik should wait till the end of the season to fire Rex, assuming he's around to make that decision.  You cant strap your Head Coach with one of the worst rosters in the league with the worst QB situation in the league and then fire your Head Coach mid-season for not winning.  Especially, when you've done nothing to prove worthy of your position.  That's something the Raiders do, not good organizations.  Plus, I really dont think Woody would let him do Rex like that.

Fire them all at seasons end because you know and I know, if Idzik is retained and Rex is fired, 2 years from now we'll be searching for a new GM and a new Head Coach stuck in the mud, right where the Jets, unfortunately but seemingly, belong. 

I think the whole "we're not answering any questions on job status" line is how he and Woody decided they'd deal with those type of questions from a PR standpoint; what spoke volumes to me was how effusive Idzik was in his praise for Rex. I just don't think Woody would ever allow Rex to be fired mid-season, even assuming Idzik wanted to do it.

I don't see why Mornhinweg would need to do anything to "earn" the promotion; you promote him because the season is lost and firing Rex now allows you to get a head start on your search for a new HC.

I'd love to be wrong and for you to be right, and maybe it's just because I'm a huge pessimist that I don't see it your way, but not only am I not convinced that Rex will be canned mid-season if we're 1-9 going into the bye, but I'm not sure he's fired on Black Monday, even if we're 1-15.

You don't fire the coach mid-season to send a message of accountability internally; you do it to appease the fans who want someone burned at the stake for the season's failure. Being named interim head coach is hardly a promotion. Tony Sparano wasn't exactly lighting it up in Oakland when Dennis Allen was fired, and he was named interim HC. With 6 or 7 games to go, the idea isn't to win but to have someone guide the team to the off-season. And despite his short-comings as an OC, Mornhinweg is the only guy qualified to do that. 

I think the whole "we're not answering any questions on job status" line is how he and Woody decided they'd deal with those type of questions from a PR standpoint; what spoke volumes to me was how effusive Idzik was in his praise for Rex. I just don't think Woody would ever allow Rex to be fired mid-season, even assuming Idzik wanted to do it.

I don't see why Mornhinweg would need to do anything to "earn" the promotion; you promote him because the season is lost and firing Rex now allows you to get a head start on your search for a new HC.

I'd love to be wrong and for you to be right, and maybe it's just because I'm a huge pessimist that I don't see it your way, but not only am I not convinced that Rex will be canned mid-season if we're 1-9 going into the bye, but I'm not sure he's fired on Black Monday, even if we're 1-15.

I don't know at all. You could be 100% correct. He did give a lot of praise for Ryan, but that could be just so he doesn't want to come across as ingenuous when he says he's responsible. So he then praises Rex. But then he also praises every player on the team. And the rest of the coaching staff. But blames himself.

Well if the coaches are all doing a good job and the players are all doing their job and they're 1-7 it makes no sense. Blaming himself in light of that praise is hollow unless his idea of doing a better job himself is putting on a uniform and scoring 3 TDs a game himself.

The only way to do a better job as a GM is to bring in better players or better coaches. It makes no sense the way it was framed.

So given that, and his refusal to answer "yes" to someone who is the owner's favie, means there's a very good chance he doesn't finish the season. 

You don't fire the coach mid-season to send a message of accountability internally; you do it to appease the fans who want someone burned at the stake for the season's failure. Being named interim head coach is hardly a promotion. Tony Sparano wasn't exactly lighting it up in Oakland when Dennis Allen was fired, and he was named interim HC. With 6 or 7 games to go, the idea isn't to win but to have someone guide the team to the off-season. And despite his short-comings as an OC, Mornhinweg is the only guy qualified to do that.

Perhaps. Except the fans don't like Mornhinweg either. You've got more fans that like Ryan, by a considerable margin. So I don't see that move appeasing the fans. It appeases fewer than it pisses off.

thats what crappy leaders do--hire chumps right beneath them to keep their own job safe because they are more concerned with being irreplaceable (for lack of successors) than building the best staff possible

not sure if being handed the reins to this wagon as it is heading full speed over a cliff can be called a "promotion"

HELLO???

You plaaaay to win the gaaame.

If Idzik were to fire Ryan now and hand the team to Mornhinweg, and then the team goes on to win more than it loses during the "easy" part of the schedule, Idzik might then find himself under pressure to retain Mornhinweg as his head coach. If the guy has really wanted all along to bring in his own HC, that would be a terrible predicament to be in. If he lets Rex ride it out, he can fire the whole staff more cleanly at the end of the year. I really expect him to go that route. 

That sad part is that if you fire Rex, who will run the defense? the current DC is only that in name only and he doesn't know how to run the defense. Rex will stay till the end but then has to go. I am convinced that Idzik has to go too. A glorified accountant is not what this team needs. We need a sound football mind like Bill Polian to steer this ship.

That sad part is that if you fire Rex, who will run the defense? the current DC is only that in name only and he doesn't know how to run the defense. Rex will stay till the end but then has to go. I am convinced that Idzik has to go too. A glorified accountant is not what this team needs. We need a sound football mind like Bill Polian to steer this ship.

I could run the defense at this point and at worst we'd lose one more game and force 3 less turnovers in the second half of the season.

That's the thing. Rex has set up this staff where it'd be virtually impossible to fire him midseason.

Archived