No more moves left for Rex

Ex-Rex

If Idzik were to fire Ryan now and hand the team to Mornhinweg, and then the team goes on to win more than it loses during the "easy" part of the schedule, Idzik might then find himself under pressure to retain Mornhinweg as his head coach. If the guy has really wanted all along to bring in his own HC, that would be a terrible predicament to be in. If he lets Rex ride it out, he can fire the whole staff more cleanly at the end of the year. I really expect him to go that route. 

Sure. And the add-on to that is if he doesn't retain Mornhinweg as HC, and his guy does only mediocrely or worse, then there will be the baseless/unprovable assumptions made that the team would have been better off retaining Mornhinweg. 

That's the thing. Rex has set up this staff where it'd be virtually impossible to fire him midseason.

Spot on, and this shouldn't surprise anyone. The only competency Rex has shown mastery of, during his tenure, is self-preservation.

That's the thing. Rex has set up this staff where it'd be virtually impossible to fire him midseason.

yup, hallmark of a selfish leader. surround yourself with barely-competent or worse underlings so no one has the bright idea to replace you with someone underneath you

Starting Vick is absolutely the right call.

Bottom line is he gives them the best chance to win.  He's a better QB than Geno right now (not that he's a lot better, but better none the less)

Geno's has now been fully evaluated and they now know is he not the future. - so put in the QB that gives you the best chance to win. 

Agreed. Even if the "best chance" is slim and none, which Vick gives us. With Geno it's just none. Not going to say anything about Simms at this point. Don't know how the "brain" trust feels about him. I know Rex must think he's a good dude or he would be gone. Plaxico Burress said "Rex likes his players as people and doesn't take into consideration if you are a good player. If he likes you, he likes you."

yup, hallmark of a selfish leader. surround yourself with barely-competent or worse underlings so no one has the bright idea to replace you with someone underneath you

Exactly...no way to fire Rex mid season because the D would break completely and the games would go from 30-17 to 62-17. This season is lost but you have to hold on to rex until the bitter end to avoid the utter embarassment of 62-7 losses...lol...that's what it hs come down to...lol.

No matter who's here, CB is gonna be a huge need next season. 

Maybe so, but you must fill it in FA....There's simply no way you could take a defensive back with the first pick this year.   My guess, right now, is they go OL

You have Milliner coming back, McDoogle coming back (have to hope one of them stays healthy) You really just need to sign the best FA corner on the market (whatever it takes) and you should be fine.

Maybe so, but you must fill it in FA....There's simply no way you could take a defensive back with the first pick this year.   My guess, right now, is they go OL

You have Milliner coming back, McDoogle coming back (have to hope one of them stays healthy) You really just need to sign the best FA corner on the market (whatever it takes) and you should be fine.

The best news about those two injury-prone players before this season was that at least they never had any injuries to their wheels. Now you've got Milliner, who hasn't proven anything yet but at least looked good to finish up last season, coming off an achilles. And you've got McDougle, who's never played a down in the NFL, coming off an ACL. Really hard to rely on either of these guys going forward. They need to bring in more than one potential starter next year, whether that's thru the draft or free agency, it doesn't matter. 

Have to think the front office is thinking QB in the first round next year, if they're thinking that they're keeping their jobs, that is. 

The best news about those two injury-prone players before this season was that at least they never had any injuries to their wheels. Now you've got Milliner, who hasn't proven anything yet but at least looked good to finish up last season, coming off an achilles. And you've got McDougle, who's never played a down in the NFL, coming off an ACL. Really hard to rely on either of these guys going forward. They need to bring in more than one potential starter next year, whether that's thru the draft or free agency, it doesn't matter. 

Have to think the front office is thinking QB in the first round next year, if they're thinking that they're keeping their jobs, that is. 

On the QB front, I would be thinking QB too but from what I'm hearing (I don't watch a whole lot of college FB so can't really speak to it) there really isn't a QB worth taking.  I'm hearing both Marriota and Winston are big risk picks and we really need a hit.  A left tackle (move D'brick to RT) is a relatively safe bet...

Yes, hopefully with a history of getting injured. 

"We want Mariota! We want Mariota!"

"With the first overall pick, in the 2015 NFL draft... the Jets select...from Oregon..... [CROWD GOES WILD!!!!]... Cornerback Ifo Ekpre-Olomu"

DamagedUnripeHare.gif

"We want Mariota! We want Mariota!"

"With the first overall pick, in the 2015 NFL draft... the Jets select...from Oregon..... [CROWD GOES WILD!!!!]... Cornerback Ifo Ekpre-Olomu"

DamagedUnripeHare.gif

That was the pick that could have changed everything...but no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  We want a blocking TE instead.

How is it that this fanbase knows twice as much about the draft than the guys making the picks???  Idzik would be doing himself a favor by just asking the fans who they want and going with the show of the most hands.  

That was the pick that could have changed everything...but no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  We want a blocking TE instead.

How is it that this fanbase knows twice as much about the draft than the guys making the picks???  Idzik would be doing himself a favor by just asking the fans who they want and going with the show of the most hands.  

sad but true.

His decision to go with Michael Vick makes very little sense. Vick was almost as bad as Geno Smith, but maybe with a week to prepare with the first team it will get somewhat better. In reality there are very few if any decisions Rex can make that can turn this around. It is what it is and it is just bad. I think he should put Simms in after the bye week and let him finish the season. We know that Geno is not the guy by now, so what is there to lose? Its like the difference in starting Kyle Wilson or Antonio Allen at CB. They are equally bad and neither is adequate for the position. Simms may be a surprise, but then again the backup QB - or in this case the backup to the backup is now the most popular guy.

Geno is shell shocked.  Vick is hardly professional himself.  Aside from his strange capacity for missing wide open receivers by a mile, he has been carrying the ball like a loaf of bread for a million years.  No attempt to improve.  But Geno is dumbfounded right now so Vick has to start.  I suspect Vick gets hurt (he always does) but even if he does not I expect Geno will get a few more starts.

thats what crappy leaders do--hire chumps right beneath them to keep their own job safe because they are more concerned with being irreplaceable (for lack of successors) than building the best staff possible

not sure if being handed the reins to this wagon as it is heading full speed over a cliff can be called a "promotion"

ha ha, then find a coach you hate and a "demote" him to interim head coach.

the only thing that's clear as day is this team has no idea how to handle QB's

yeah which is why i don't want another high draft pick. get a vet that someone else developed for christ's sake. not a coincidence the two best jets QBs in decades were vinny and favre.

Archived