Francesa- "Woody should ask the league office to help find him a GM"

Matt39

Btw, as I've mentioned a million times already - but no one wants to listen. If you let idzik stay you are going to have a problem finding a good head coaching candidate, in the same way you had a problem finding a Gm before. I said before idzik was selected that this was not a good job and probably the worst in the NFL at the time. I was criticized for saying it at the time. The decision to accept a job as a head coach is the culmination of a guys entire life's work, they are not going to jump in bed with a GM who may get fired in two years and an owner that is a complete idiot. Just like the GM job at the time Idzik took it, It will be the worst job in the NFL if it is Idzik doing the hiring.

Unless he already knows who his head coach is going to be.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. There is no way someone decent comes here. No possible way. It would be career suicide. Idziks mother wouldn't take the job.

The guy coming here is going to have a clean roster with some decent young pieces, about $30 mil in cap room, a top-three pick, and he gets to pick his QB. The other likely openings will be Atlanta (probably the best job overall), St Louis, and Oakland. All in all, if one of the Seattle coordinators is feeling it, this is a good spot.

If anyone is really interested.  Here's a recent article on top GM candidates:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Top-five-general-manager-candidates.html

and one from the Dolphags when they were looking to replace Jeff Ireland:

http://www.thephinsider.com/2014/1/8/5287948/jeff-ireland-fired-dolphins-potential-new-general-manager-candidates

Pioli is an interesting candidate. I wouldn't mind seeing him as the next GM.

That wasnt the point but yeah, Cro had more picks last game than entire Jets team on the year.

No, I think it would have been a great idea to give Revis and Cromartie a combined $17 mil this year. We'd be looking at a title run. Throw in Sanchez? Pffffft. Dynasty.

The guy coming here is going to have a clean roster with some decent young pieces, about $30 mil in cap room, a top-three pick, and he gets to pick his QB. The other likely openings will be Atlanta (probably the best job overall), St Louis, and Oakland. All in all, if one of the Seattle coordinators is feeling it, this is a good spot.

5-11

8-8

One more bad draft

You are working for someone else.

Worst job in the NFL.

You don't have to believe me. Wait and see the candidates that show up. They will be interviewing the kid who sells beer at the games.

If anyone is really interested.  Here's a recent article on top GM candidates:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Top-five-general-manager-candidates.html

and one from the Dolphags when they were looking to replace Jeff Ireland:

http://www.thephinsider.com/2014/1/8/5287948/jeff-ireland-fired-dolphins-potential-new-general-manager-candidates

Cross DeCosta off the list - he's not leaving Baltimore.

5-11

8-8

One more bad draft

Worst job in the NFL.

You don't have to believe me. Wait and see the candidates that show up. They will be interviewing the kid who sells beer at the games.

Fair enough. It will be equally amusing watching Rex try and get a job.

The General Manager position is impossible to fill if Woody makes the next GM keep Rex. The ONLY scenario where this works is if you promote from within. There's another former general manager currently in the Jets front office and that's Rod Graves. This scenario is a long-shot, but I wouldn't put it past Woody:

Woody fires Idzik or forces his resignation. Knowing that no legitimate candidates will put in for the GM job, Woody skips the interview process completely and hires Rod Graves immediately after firing Idzik. Woody's thinking is that the move is swift and spares the fan base the embarrassment of having to do another sham-interview process. The transition is as "smooth" as can be. You remove the person all of the fans hate without having to tear up the organization. Graves certainly has the credentials on paper for the job. Woody gets to keep Rex, which is what he ultimately wants. The NFL is satisfied because it gets another minority into a high profile position.

For Woody, it's the path of least resistance and gives the fans what they want. And the dysfunction continues on.

No, I think it would have been a great idea to give Revis and Cromartie a combined $17 mil this year. We'd be looking at a title run. Throw in Sanchez? Pffffft. Dynasty.

There's a happy medium. We've gotten to the point where were giving Idzik credit for signing cheap players because we have a bad QB.

There's a happy medium. We've gotten to the point where were giving Idzik credit for signing cheap players because we have a bad QB.

You know my thoughts on it. I don't think Idzik ever cared if the team won a single game this year. Renting Revis and Cromartie helps no one but Rex. 

Pure typical fan guff, frankly.

Talent (and human being) evaluation is not "an art", and the numbers (i.e. the cap management) is far from something some first year Accounting Degree guy can handle.

Again, you've (incorrectly) described a system of "one man rule", and no GM in the NFL operates that way today, no matter how much some may CLAIM they do.

In the modern NFL, personnel decisions are made by teams of people, not brilliant lone GM's striding across rooms to overrule his coach and scouts with his brilliant unexpected pick.

What you're probably trying to avoid is that fact that Rex Ryan, Head Coach and larger than life personality, beloved by his owner, has had a hell of a lot more power and hand in selecting the talent than his defenders would like to admit.

I have a truly hard time seeing many moves when Idzik "overruled" Rex, and denied Rex the guy (or position) Rex wanted.  Especially with yes-man Terry Bradway leading the scouting department.

The is Rex's team far more today than it's Idziks, and the endless denials of Rex's involvement and footprint will not change that.

The best the Rex defenders can come up with is the (pure bullsh*t) media reporting that "Revis wanted to come back".  That's pure agent-issued fantasy, Revis never wanted to come back, he wanted to leverage the Jets to get the biggest deal he could get from any team that would pay it.  To come back, the Jets would have had to pony up the same 16 mil. a year Revis wanted earlier, and that was never going to happen nor should it, especially at that point before both our #1 and #2 CB's got hurt.

Too many Fans buying into hype-maker GM talk on ESPN.  We don't need some brilliant lone-wolf "football guy" GM, we need a better scouting department, and a better head coach.

How can you possibly deny the need for a guy who understands how to evaluate talent on one hand, and then suggest that the math side of the business is some great mystery on the other? What a bunch of crap. You haven't responded to my post here at all, you've merely quoted me and responded to your straw man of the moment.

Nowhere did I suggest any sort of one man rule. However, the man at the top should be capable of doing the most important jobs of his underlings - that being the ability to evaluate talent on his own. Any boss who doesn't know his subordinates jobs is a boss that's going to fail. In the case of an NFL GM, he's completely dependent upon others to make decisions that are his responsibility. I would never hire a guy who didn't himself have success scouting/evaluating players himself.

Sure these scouts are filing reports on over thousand kids a year, maybe more than that. Obviously the GM isn't getting involved in that kind of minutiae. But he should be heavily involved -and capable of of contributing- when it comes to the top of his draft board. Scouts will disagree about who should be rated higher than whom, and the GM had better be capable of viewing tape himself to make final decisions when there's no consensus. That's his responsibility! That's his job! Hiring some "manager" who doesn't understand the mechanics of talent evaluation to make those final decisions is nothing short of asinine.

Idzik's first draft was better than his second. His first used the people the Jets already had in place, his second draft was done by the staff he built. This has absolutely zero to do with Rex Ryan, so save that BS for someone else. This has to do with Idzik's ability to run an NFL front office. To run a draft, to acquire free agents. So far, I'm very unimpressed, especially when it comes to the drafting part. And I, personally, think that mostly has to do with the fact that he is simply not a qualified "football man."

The General Manager position is impossible to fill if Woody makes the next GM keep Rex. The ONLY scenario where this works is if you promote from within. There's another former general manager currently in the Jets front office and that's Rod Graves. This scenario is a long-shot, but I wouldn't put it past Woody:

Woody fires Idzik or forces his resignation. Knowing that no legitimate candidates will put in for the GM job, Woody skips the interview process completely and hires Rod Graves immediately after firing Idzik. Woody's thinking is that the move is swift and spares the fan base the embarrassment of having to do another sham-interview process. The transition is as "smooth" as can be. You remove the person all of the fans hate without having to tear up the organization. Graves certainly has the credentials on paper for the job. Woody gets to keep Rex, which is what he ultimately wants. The NFL is satisfied because it gets another minority into a high profile position.

For Woody, it's the path of least resistance and gives the fans what they want. And the dysfunction continues on.

:suicide:

5-11

8-8

One more bad draft

Worst job in the NFL.

I think woody already has an ad up on Craigslist..

Perhaps Franceas is the blind squirrel; doesn't make him wrong here. At the time of Idzik's hire, was a lot of chatter here and everywhere that he had been more back office that talent evaluator any place he had been.Idzik has been in football forever but not clear his fingerprints are really anywhwere he has worked. Don't recall anyone praising Idzik since the hire.

He's so anti-Jets, I refuse to listen to his crap. He may be right, but sitting at 1-7, Fatcessa is the last person I'd listen to.

I'm not supporting Idzik one bit, but in January 2014, how vocal was Fatcessa about the hire or performance? I remember the entire league was praising Idzik and the job he had done. This blind squirrel is claiming 20/20 vision. Remember the "divine intervention" bullsh*t he was trying to pull when the Jets beat the Chargers in the divisional round before losing to Manning? Yeah, that's how blind his ass is. Fat piece of sh*t Ebola ridden attention whore.

Other than Rod Graves, who has Idzik added to his "rebuilt" scouting staff?

The guy who scouted Shaq Evans and was fired a year later. The whole front office shake up was more mystifying than his free agent signings.

You think it's a coincidence that real personnel guys don't want to come work for an accountant? It's tough to attract talent when everyone knows the boss is an asshat.

I think you're half right. No one wants to come here because it's an unstable atmosphere.

One possible scenario that might work is elevate Idzik to president hire the Seattle personel guy as GM and go raid the Seattle coaching staff. That would probably be a good plan as well.

Isnt the Seattle personnel guy predominantly Carroll?

This makes sense. Rex and MM having the final say does not.

Casserly is name I liked before Idzik but whatevs. I'm not going to sit here and act like I know but I dont think its unreasonable to have a profile of what you would like to see running the show.

Some names I've heard that could meet the profile:

Bill Polian and his former head of scouting Tom Gamble. 2 solid names.

I know DeCosta turned down interviews for a promotion with the Ravens, but I'd revisit that.

Terry McDonough is a guy I like who's led scouting for the Cardinals. I like Steve Kleim when Idzik as hired too.

Instead we kept Bradway and hired Rod Graves for **** sake.

Isnt the Seattle personnel guy predominantly Carroll?

Yes it is. Just saying. It's not my preferred choice - but probably better than a lot of other options out there. The more I read about Pioli the more I like him as th number one choice to fix this.

Archived