Prepared Back up

Smashmouth

It may have happened due to circumstance but the Dallas Cowboys give their back up Brandon Weeden a full day of practice with the number 1's due to Tony  Romo's back problems. Its a day of rest for Romo where he does film work and a day of being prepared for Weeden the back up.

The rest of the league should take notice here and give their Back ups 1 day with the ones in case of injury to the starting QB.

recently the Jets put Mike Vick in a game where he stated he was not prepared this is the perfect example of why teams need to push this philosophy. It wont hurt a starter to lose a day of work if he knows what hes doing and has a grasp of the offense

Discuss

That is only a good idea if your starter can afford a day off. Its the regular season so Romo can. Now in playoff time, or whenever its clutch, Romo should be working out twice a day cause we all know how he implodes. When your starter is Geno you need to let him get every rep possible cause he is utter trash. 

I guess it makes sense for a team with an old veteran or an injury prone QB. Don't think you can afford to decrease the reps of a younger QB during practice.

Not sure too many coaches would feel comfortable losing any extra time preparing between games with guys who you don't plan on playing. It's too competitive of a league to lose that much valuable time to prepare.

There's no real reason not to give your backup some time with the ones when you have a starer who isn't a lock. I don't know who's even in charge of picking the QB in this organization though. If Rex was told Geno is the starter why would they bother? If Rex is in charge of picking the starter I don't understand why he wouldn't go to Vick weeks ago with his job on the line. At this point Simms makes more sense than Vick.from the perspective of evaluating for next season.

sorry makes too much sense. never even occurred to nyj to give the backup a few reps even though the starter had already been benched once in the midst of one of the worst QB seasons in NFL history. but God, we can't tell geno to take a knee and let vick sling a few. that would just shatter his confidence.

It may have happened due to circumstance but the Dallas Cowboys give their back up Brandon Weeden a full day of practice with the number 1's due to Tony  Romo's back problems. Its a day of rest for Romo where he does film work and a day of being prepared for Weeden the back up.

The rest of the league should take notice here and give their Back ups 1 day with the ones in case of injury to the starting QB.

recently the Jets put Mike Vick in a game where he stated he was not prepared this is the perfect example of why teams need to push this philosophy. It wont hurt a starter to lose a day of work if he knows what hes doing and has a grasp of the offense

Discuss

Vicks unpreparedness both times he came in off the bench is beyond unacceptable. For a verteran who knows the offense like the back of his hand, it just shows he can care less about the 4 million he's pocketing this year. Not knowing which side to hand the ball off to???? How can you read a defense when you don't know which way the play is going? My lord.

Discuss

Think it's a good idea for a veteran QB.  Maybe install a mini play book for the back up that they can practice once a week. 

Vicks unpreparedness both times he came in off the bench is beyond unacceptable. For a verteran who knows the offense like the back of his hand, it just shows he can care less about the 4 million he's pocketing this year. Not knowing which side to hand the ball off to???? How can you read a defense when you don't know which way the play is going? My lord.

I am not a Vick fan, but in his defense I must say that as a second teamer-- he doesn't practice with the starting guys. The timing always suffers in these situations   He should be better this Sunday-- MM needs to start hitting

Decker and Amaro and Kerley more.  Run it with Ivory and Powell.       But, since Rex is 15- 29 in his last 44 games............. don't get your hopes up , Jetsnation.

I am not a Vick fan, but in his defense I must say that as a second teamer-- he doesn't practice with the starting guys. The timing always suffers in these situations   He should be better this Sunday-- MM needs to start hitting

Decker and Amaro and Kerley more.  Run it with Ivory and Powell.       But, since Rex is 15- 29 in his last 44 games............. don't get your hopes up , Jetsnation.

Timing, and not knowing which way to turn for a handoff are two different things. 

Archived