Backup QB Geno Smith Doesn't throw at Practice

flgreen

Backup QB Geno Smith (shoulder) doesn't throw at practice

October, 29, 2014

OCT 29

1:00

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Former starting quarterback Geno Smith, who hurt his throwing shoulder on his final play in Sunday's loss to the Buffalo Bills, didn't throw any passes Wednesday in practice during the 30-minute window open to the media.

Smith participated in footwork and ball-security drills, but when it came time to throw, he watched new starter Michael Vick and practice-squad quarterback Matt Simms. Presumably, Smith's status is in doubt for Sunday, when the New York Jets (1-7) travel to the Kansas City Chiefs (4-3).

Smith hurt his shoulder while tackling safety Aaron Williams on an interception return. On Monday, both Rex Ryan and Smith downplayed the severity of the injury. Smith called it a minor sprain; Ryan declined to provide a diagnosis, but he expressed hope that Smith would be able to throw Wednesday. At the same time, he told Simms to be ready.

So, yes, it's conceivable the Jets could face the Chiefs with Vick and Simms as their quarterbacks.

In other injury developments, cornerback Darrin Walls didn't practice with what is believed to be a knee injury. That may explain why rookie Marcus Williams was signed Tuesday from the practice squad. If Walls can't play, the Jets would start Antonio Allen and ... um ... uh ... it could be Kyle Wilson or Josh Thomas or Phillip Adams or maybe even Williams.

IR Geno and sign Josh Freeman     :)

......Josh Freeman Stinks.     We need to blow most of it up and start fresh with a new HC and new QB.   If I was Woody, I would fire the Scouting Team led by Terry Bradway and get new Executive VP , who would be charged with finding a GM.   Let the GM hire a coach he can work with and build with.  If 1-7 is not acceptable--- wait till we are 1-15.

The Pick: QB Marcus Mariota, Oregon

The Geno Smith era is over in New York—by the fault of his own weaknesses, the failings of the New York Jets coaching staff and front office and a lack of talent around him. Regardless of the reasons, the realization that Smith isn't the future of the Jets will come with dramatic changes in New York.

Obviously, quarterback becomes the biggest need on a roster full of needs. The Jets realistically need help along the offensive line, could add at least one wide receiver (especially if Percy Harvin is a short-term add) and need new blood at outside linebacker, cornerback and safety. But they will also be looking for a new head coach barring something unforeseen over the next eight weeks.

The new regime in New York will need a quarterback, and Oregon's Marcus Mariota is the best prospect in the 2015 class. He's mobile, smart, a high-character player and a quarterback with the arm strength Geno Smith lacks and the accuracy that holds Michael Vick back from being a quality NFL quarterback at the end of his career.

Mariota is NFL-ready right now and will give the head coach in New York a true shot at winning.

......Josh Freeman Stinks.     We need to blow most of it up and start fresh with a new HC and new QB.   If I was Woody, I would fire the Scouting Team led by Terry Bradway and get new Executive VP , who would be charged with finding a GM.   Let the GM hire a coach he can work with and build with.  If 1-7 is not acceptable--- wait till we are 1-15.

The Pick: QB Marcus Mariota, Oregon

The Geno Smith era is over in New York—by the fault of his own weaknesses, the failings of the New York Jets coaching staff and front office and a lack of talent around him. Regardless of the reasons, the realization that Smith isn't the future of the Jets will come with dramatic changes in New York.

Obviously, quarterback becomes the biggest need on a roster full of needs. The Jets realistically need help along the offensive line, could add at least one wide receiver (especially if Percy Harvin is a short-term add) and need new blood at outside linebacker, cornerback and safety. But they will also be looking for a new head coach barring something unforeseen over the next eight weeks.

The new regime in New York will need a quarterback, and Oregon's Marcus Mariota is the best prospect in the 2015 class. He's mobile, smart, a high-character player and a quarterback with the arm strength Geno Smith lacks and the accuracy that holds Michael Vick back from being a quality NFL quarterback at the end of his career.

Mariota is NFL-ready right now and will give the head coach in New York a true shot at winning.

I was with you until you uttered the name Mariota. 

Hopefully the Geno Smith era is over and the Jets hopefully move along quickly because they need to learn from their mistake and pick either Mariota or Winston with one of their pick selections.

Reading this, definitely the jets will learn from their mistakes taking either of these two guys.....definitely.

I wish we had two first round picks. Amari and Mariota would be dynamic.

I wish we had the first 5 picks of the draft, then we could draft Mariota, Winston (it's always good to hedge your bets), Amari, an OL and a CB.

Then with our 10 2nd round picks we could really go to town...

I wish we had the first 5 picks of the draft, then we could draft Mariota, Winston (it's always good to hedge your bets), Amari, an OL and a CB.

I guess... if you wanna be a prick about it.

EDIT: I figured someone would respond with a dickish attitude. Thanks for filling that spot.

Maybe we could get the first 2? Assume we tank..

Package Mo, Coples, ivory and a couple jags to Oakland for their #1. We would still have a average type DL. Powell steps up and draft a RB mid rounds. ( I hate losing mo but...)

Then go Winston and Mariota and have a true competition lol.

Hopefully the Geno Smith era is over and the Jets hopefully move along quickly because they need to learn from their mistake and pick either Mariota or Winston with one of their pick selections.

If they wanna learn a lesson, they'd never pick another QB, cuz they can't develop one. You can't bring in a QB and throw in to the wolves from the get go without a complete set of WRs and TE to help him.

Archived