UNnamed Jet: Offense felt relief When Vick Replaced Geno

flgreen

Jets

Unnamed Jet: Offense Felt ‘Relief’ When Vick Replaced Geno Against Bills

October 29, 2014 3:29 PM

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — When Michael Vick replaced Geno Smith in the first quarter of Sunday’s loss to the Bills, the crowd at MetLife Stadium was relieved.

So, to, was the offense, according to Metro New York.

“When Michael came in, he steadied things,” an unnamed Jet told Metro’s Kristian Dyer. “There was sort of this sense that ‘I got this,’ and I think we fed off of that. He’s been (there), done that in this league, and he has our respect. It wasn’t that we don’t feel that with Geno, but (Vick) has done it all and when he came in, we got that from him in the huddle. I think there was a relief when he came in, to be honest with you.”

Smith completed two of eight passes for five yards and was picked off three times before getting the hook from head coach Rex Ryan.

“Guys still believe in Geno, but he has to sit like any other player who doesn’t perform,” the anonymous player told Metro. “You could tell the difference when Michael came in. The body language was better, the communication was better from him. Those things are important. His head wasn’t spinning.”

Vick injected some life into the offense when he came in, but his day quickly soured. The veteran made some big plays but struggled to protect the football, throwing an interception and losing two fumbles. He was also sacked four times.

He completed 18 of 36 passes for 153 yards and carried the ball eight times for 59 yards. The four-time Pro Bowler will start against the Chiefs this weekend, Ryan announced on Monday.

“He sees the field so well and his instincts are really good,” the player told Dyer. “I’m not saying that Geno doesn’t, but he’s still young. He’s got to get there. Michael hasn’t gotten many reps with the ones since (training) camp. Once he does, it will improve for sure … It’s clear that the right call was made for this week.”

“He sees the field so well and his instincts are really good,” the player told Dyer.

the infamous unnamed player is back. 

I watched the game on TV and it seemed like Rich Gannon would show a different wide open WR that vick didn't see on each play.  

Vick was a lot better than Geno and adds excitement to a putrid offense but I certainly wouldn't say he's known for his ability to "see the field".  

Jets

Unnamed Jet: Offense Felt ‘Relief’ When Vick Replaced Geno Against Bills

October 29, 2014 3:29 PM

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — When Michael Vick replaced Geno Smith in the first quarter of Sunday’s loss to the Bills, the crowd at MetLife Stadium was relieved.

So, to, was the offense, according to Metro New York.

“When Michael came in, he steadied things,” an unnamed Jet told Metro’s Kristian Dyer. “There was sort of this sense that ‘I got this,’ and I think we fed off of that. He’s been (there), done that in this league, and he has our respect. It wasn’t that we don’t feel that with Geno, but (Vick) has done it all and when he came in, we got that from him in the huddle. I think there was a relief when he came in, to be honest with you.”

Smith completed two of eight passes for five yards and was picked off three times before getting the hook from head coach Rex Ryan.

“Guys still believe in Geno, but he has to sit like any other player who doesn’t perform,” the anonymous player told Metro. “You could tell the difference when Michael came in. The body language was better, the communication was better from him. Those things are important. His head wasn’t spinning.”

Vick injected some life into the offense when he came in, but his day quickly soured. The veteran made some big plays but struggled to protect the football, throwing an interception and losing two fumbles. He was also sacked four times.

He completed 18 of 36 passes for 153 yards and carried the ball eight times for 59 yards. The four-time Pro Bowler will start against the Chiefs this weekend, Ryan announced on Monday.

“He sees the field so well and his instincts are really good,” the player told Dyer. “I’m not saying that Geno doesn’t, but he’s still young. He’s got to get there. Michael hasn’t gotten many reps with the ones since (training) camp. Once he does, it will improve for sure … It’s clear that the right call was made for this week.”

take notes rex, you may think only way to be liked is excuse-making and guffawing with the guys but guess what being firm, fair and consistent in holding people accountable gets you even more respect.

the infamous unnamed player is back. 

I watched the game on TV and it seemed like Rich Gannon would show a different wide open WR that vick didn't see on each play.  

Vick was a lot better than Geno and adds excitement to a putrid offense but I certainly wouldn't say he's known for his ability to "see the field".  

Lack of practice can do that. Plus once a QB passes on a read, he doesn't usually go back. Thats almost every QB. Like you said, Vick isn't the best passing QB, but he makes up for it with his legs. He converted like 3 or 4 FDs with his legs, so I'd consider those as part of the passing game. When Geno was doing that, he was playing much better.

Archived