The Case For Rex To Keep His Job

flgreen

NFL analysts make case for Rex Ryan to keep his job

By Howie KussoyOctober 29, 2014 | 3:40pm

Ryan’s sixth year with the Jets could end up being his last with the team off to a 1-7 start this season. But Michael Irvin said the coach proved his worth when he took the Jets to back-to-back AFC title game appearances in his first two seasons, the only time that feat has been accomplished in franchise history.

“I do believe we become victims of our own success sometimes and Rex has had so much success in those early years, getting to AFC Championship games with a young quarterback,” Irvin said on a conference call with reporters Wednesday.

“He’s a brilliant guy, a brilliant coach defensively, but he just hasn’t had production offensively. You win early with it and now you’re not winning with it because the offense is not making the progress and it becomes a detriment to your job. I just believe he’s a victim of his own great success, which tells you just how good of a coach he really is.”

Fellow NFL Network host Steve Mariucci shared the same sentiment, believing that Ryan shouldn’t be fired just because the Jets will miss the playoffs for the fourth consecutive season.

The former 49ers and Lions coach said he hoped the Jets will exhibit the same rare patience that the Bengals have with Marvin Lewis, who is in his 12th season as a head after posting only one winning season in his first six years with the team.

“I hope Woody Johnson exercises patience like the Brown family did in Cincinnati with Marvin Lewis, where you go through some years and you know you have a good coach and it’s just not happening with the record and I hope Rex is able to stick around,” Mariucci said. “The team’s playing hard and they really are now…to me, switching coaching staffs over there might not be the thing to do because that team loves playing for Rex.”

Mariucci noted how impressive it is that Ryan has had so much success, considering his only two quarterbacks — Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith — are running jokes.

“He’s been playing with a young quarterback since he’s been over there, from Sanchez to Geno, and never really had that veteran that we would all take comfort in,” Mariucci said. “I hope Woody gives him a chance to stick around and keep building that thing up and find a quarterback. I like Geno, but I didn’t see the progress yet that I thought he was going to make in his second season. I saw him in the offseason and he looked mature, he was bigger, stronger, more ready to do this and it’s just not falling into place for him.”

Bill Cowher added that all hope isn’t lost for Smith, still only 24, but the former Steelers coach agreed with Ryan’s decision to sit him in favor of Michael Vick on Sunday in Kansas City.

“I haven’t given up on Geno Smith,” Cowher said. “I think he’s flashed some things. I think it’s very fast for him right now and for him to sit on the sideline right now would be the best thing.”

You win early with it and now you’re not winning with it because the offense is not making the progress and it becomes a detriment to your job. I just believe he’s a victim of his own great success, which tells you just how good of a coach he really is.”

Cocaine joke

"I do believe we become victims of our own success sometimes and Rex has had so much success in those early years, getting to AFC Championship games with a young quarterback,” Irvin said on a conference call with reporters Wednesday.

“He’s a brilliant guy, a brilliant coach defensively, but he just hasn’t had production offensively. You win early with it and now you’re not winning with it because the offense is not making the progress and it becomes a detriment to your job. I just believe he’s a victim of his own great success, which tells you just how good of a coach he really is.”

Michael Irvin: JN poster

I keep saying it and I'll say it again - the media absolutely LOVES Rex and will lobby hard for him to be retained, no matter the record. Couple that with how much Woody loves him, and I'm not at all convinced that he ends up firing this buffoon.

I could genuinely envision a scenario where the media successfully gets the guy they despise (Idzik) fired, and the guy they love (Rex) extended.

I could genuinely envision a scenario where the media successfully gets the guy they despise (Idzik) fired, and the guy they love (Rex) extended.

Rex is a media darling, they love him.

But there is no way anyone, including the media, can save a HC who goes 3-13 (I'm being generous with 2 additional wins), a losing overall record, and 4 straight non-winning seasons.

Woody may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but he is not stupid.

Rex is a media darling, they love him.

But there is no way anyone, including the media, can save a HC who goes 3-13 (I'm being generous with 2 additional wins), a losing overall record, and 4 straight non-winning seasons.

Woody may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but he is not stupid.

From your keyboard to God's ears...

Ya follow the bengal model. Remember that five short years ago they were considered the cheapest, crappiest run team in football. There were stories about the towels in the showers being the size of wash cloths and the players having to buy gatorade from a vending machine in the locker room. They stuck with lewis because they knew they would do much worse trying to attract anyone better in those days

I get home late and I've found this basic TV channel that's pretty cool. It includes shows like Mary Tyler Moore and Cheers. It's even got sh*tty shows like Night Gallery and Route. If I watch more than one the girlfriend gets pissed. What was this subject of this thread?

I get home late and I've found this basic TV channel that's pretty cool. It includes shows like Mary Tyler Moore and Cheers. It's even got sh*tty shows like Night Gallery and Route. If I watch more than one the girlfriend gets pissed. What was this subject of this thread?

The writing for Cheers really holds up. The hairstyles and Sam's sateen sports jackets, not so much, but I'll watch a couple episodes a week as I doze off, from the years with Coach, it really is some of the best TV of all time, for what it was.

I keep saying it and I'll say it again - the media absolutely LOVES Rex and will lobby hard for him to be retained, no matter the record. Couple that with how much Woody loves him, and I'm not at all convinced that he ends up firing this buffoon.

I don't buy it, I know Woody is a dummy but I don't buy this conspiracy. Also, how do you know Woody "loves" Rex? Genuinely curious.

I don't buy it, I know Woody is a dummy but I don't buy this conspiracy. Also, how do you know Woody "loves" Rex? Genuinely curious.

Why else would he force him on potential GM candidates, severely limiting the number of candidates willing to come here and chasing away the most highly regarded ones? Or prevent Rex from being fired after year 1 by the GM who did take the job, just because he "overachieved" by going 8-8? 

Archived