Connor Cook....

BroadwayJets

• 4 weeks later...

He is the real deal. If he came out this year he will be my 2nd QB and a top 15 pick. But I think he is staying in school especially after the defeat at the hands of Ohio St. Don't take Winston. He is pure drama and not as good as everyone is saying. It is not worth it. He is not Geno but he also not Steve Mcnair. Compare him to more with the Minnsota Viking QB Dante Culpepper back years ago.

If i was Cook, i wouldn't come out. He's unlikely to get taken ahead of the other 2 (as of today, anyway), and may position himself to the #1 next year if he continues to play at a high level. 

but it's one more year he'd have to wait for a payday under the rookie salary cap.

but it's one more year he'd have to wait for a payday under the rookie salary cap.

Who gives a sh*t. It's still about prestige and leverage. ... And the payday difference between being a top 3 and the. 20s is millions... I dunno what you're day job is but thats a lot. At a position with a high washout rate - meaning theres no promise of a second payday - these are HUGE variables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not particularly relevant.  If you are thinking he goes #1 in 2016, vs going mid-first round 2015 consider Manziel vs. Bortles.  Bortles went third overall and got $20.5M over 4 all guaranteed.  Manziel went 22nd got $8.2 over 4 with 6.5 or so guaranteed.  If he likes college it's certainly worth the wait and I'd probably take the gamble. Maybe the car leasers can tell me how the opportunity cost of not having that $4.5M signing bonus this year is somehow better than getting $14M next year, but I doubt I will agree. If I projected mid-round 2014, I'd probably bet on myself. 

Not particularly relevant.  If you are thinking he goes #1 in 2016, vs going mid-first round 2015 consider Manziel vs. Bortles.  Bortles went third overall and got $20.5M over 4 all guaranteed.  Manziel went 22nd got $8.2 over 4 with 6.5 or so guaranteed.  If he likes college it's certainly worth the wait and I'd probably take the gamble. Maybe the car leasers can tell me how the opportunity cost of not having that $4.5M signing bonus this year is somehow better than getting $14M next year, but I doubt I will agree. If I projected mid-round 2014, I'd probably bet on myself. 

That's true, but he also risks tearing his shoulder or knee up and losing out on a lot of that and hasn't exactly been the healthiest of athletes.  

There is a flip-side to this though.  Taj Boyd was almost a consensus top 10 pick if he came out early.  Then, all of a sudden, he disappeared to the 6th round, never to be heard from again.  Marcus Lattimore was one gruesome hit from a top ten pick.  You are right, it is a gamble....but what is better: gambling between $6.5 million and $20.5 million, or $6.5 million and potentially nothing?

There is a flip-side to this though.  Taj Boyd was almost a consensus top 10 pick if he came out early.  Then, all of a sudden, he disappeared to the 6th round, never to be heard from again.  Marcus Lattimore was one gruesome hit from a top ten pick.  You are right, it is a gamble....but what is better: gambling between $6.5 million and $20.5 million, or $6.5 million and potentially nothing?

I agree that it is a gamble, but you are betting on yourself.  If he likes the school environment and is confident he will continue to play well, he will want to stay.  If he is not confident he will play well then I wonder about him.  I would never complain about a kid coming out early.  Guys like Slats, Gato and I have been railing about the system for years.  In this circumstance there would be valid financial reasons for staying in school.  

Archived