For New York Jets GM’s, Quantity Rarely Means Quality

JetNation

John Idzik Podium1

By Glenn Naughton

Of all the criticisms being hurled at current New York Jets General Manager John Idzik, much of it is rooted in what little production fans have seen from this years twelve-pick draft class. Highlighted by first round selection, safety Calvin Pryor and second round tight end Jace Amaro, there are legitimate concerns that a draft in which the Jets owned so many selections could wind up being a huge let down. This was/is a team desperately in need of an infusion of young talent. Fans want to know, how can the general manager of a professional football team manage to miss on so many picks in a single draft? Of the twelve picks Idzik made this past year, only five are currently on the active roster (Pryor, Amaro, OG Dakota Dozier, OLB Ik Inemkpali, and OLB Trevor Reilly). The potential failure to acquire multiple significant contributors with so many picks is a rare feat, but hardly unheard of for the New York Jets.

JetNation.com reviewed the four drafts in which the Jets have owned ten or more selections over the past 20 years and from the looks of it, if Pryor and Amaro wind up being solid players, Idzik will have produced some of the best results of any such draft.

By far, the best draft any Jets GM has had in which he owned at least ten selections over the past twenty years would have to go to Mike Tannenbaum. As GM from 2006-2012, Tannenbaum’s first draft was one in which he had ten selections. Of those ten, he chose two pro-bowl offensive linemen in OT D’Brickashaw Ferguson and C Nick Mangold. He also chose college QB Brad Smth who was converted to WR/KR and “wildcat” quarterback. While Smith was invisible as a receiver, he did make several big plays out of the “wildcat” and as a return man. After the Smith selection, Tannenbaum chose RB Leon Washington who added an explosive dynamic to the Jets offense as a RB and KR that some would argue they haven’t replaced until the recent acquisition of WR Percy Harvin. Washington’s time with the Jets was cut short due to a serious leg injury and contract dispute, but he was an excellent value pick for the Jets as a fourth rounder in that 2006 draft.

Prior to 2006, the only other times over the past 20 years that the Jets chose ten players in a single draft occurred in back-to-back seasons, 1997 and 1998. Having gone a paltry 1-15 the year before, the Jets brought in former New York Giants Super Bowl winning head coach Bill Parcells and gave him full control of football operations as coach and General Manager. Parcells instantly gave the Jets a level of credibility that no other Head Coach could have. Before even playing a game under Parcells, teams knew that these wouldn’t be the same old Jets on the field and they weren’t. In the draft room however, it was a completely different story.

In his first draft as the Jets’ boss, Parcells dealt his way to eleven picks, starting with the trade of the number one overall selection. The consensus #1 pick that season was LT Orlando Pace but Parcells chose to move down to #8 and select LB James Farrior. Farrior was a solid player for the Jets, but didn’t become a dominant force until leaving to play for the Pittsburgh Steelers when his rookie contract expired. After that first pick, the Jets’ draft looked like this:

DT Rick Terry

WR Dedric Ward

DE Terry Day

RB Leon Johnson

G Lamont Burns

DB Raymond Austin

LB Tim Scharf

QB Chuck Clements

DB Steve Rosga

DT Jason Ferguson

While Ferguson would go on to have a stellar NFL career and Ward and Johnson had a couple of moments, it’s largely a list of guys who never made an impact on the field, and a waste of a draft in which the expectations for Parcells’ personnel decisions were clearly not met.

The following year, Parcells and the Jets would make twelve selections over the course of the draft. While the selections were split fairly evenly along the lines of offense/defense, it made little difference as once again, Parcells and the Jets walked away just about empty-handed. Again the Jets went defense first when he selected DE Dorian Boose out of Washington State in round 2. Boose would play 44 forgettable NFL games over the course of his four year career, failing to register a single sack, and recording just nineteen tackles. After the Boose selection, Parcells went with the following group of players.

DB Scott Frost

DB Kevin Williams

OT Jason Fabini

LB Casey Dailey

G Doub Karczewski

TE Blake Spence

T Eric Bateman

DE Eric Ogbogu

WR Chris Brazzell

FB Dustin Johnson

TE Lawrence Hart

The best selection of the bunch turned out to be OT Jason Fabini in the fourth round out of Cincinatti who would go on to play both tackle positions for some of the best offensive seasons the Jets would ever produce while blocking for RB Curtis Martin. As for the rest of the bunch, Blake Spence blocked a FG against the Broncos in the 1998 AFC championship game, and Eric Ogbogu hung around for a few years as a journeyman. All things considered, not a very impressive haul.

Looking at both Parcells drafts, the Jets made 23 selections that produced only three starting players. A mind boggling fact for any NFL talent evaluator, let alone a highly respected Hall of Fame Head Coach. So while the John Idzik era may feel like the worst many of us have ever seen, keep in mind that there have been other men, with more impressive resumes than Idzik, who have failed this franchise and its fans when called to the podium on draft day.

Sadly, for the New York Jets and their fans, quantity hasn’t always meant quality no matter who was calling the shots.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
J1rsTvF9XxE

View the full article

interesting stuff, Glenn, especially citing the Parcells drafts. It's almost as if good coaching can overcome not getting All-Pros at every 5th, 6th, and 7th round pick.

Shocking concept that if you have discipline and moderate intelligence on your squad, that you may actually be able to get away with inferior talent as long as your guys are in position and not committing stupid penalties! Kinda like how basketball teams will run the zone defense instead of playing man to man to cut down on fouls and not get beat repeatedly when the inferior point guard keeps getting smoked by Kobe Bryant. Reminds me of our cornerbacks starting to play some zone but getting no help from our veteran safeties. Fat Mike said it in that rant that we should be auditioning defensive backs every day and yet somehow we have guys like "Adams?" starting ? 

While I agree on your basic premise that Parcells missed massively on a couple of drafts, I can't say its apples to apples since Idzik has never been the deciding factor on any level of major success anywhere, while Parcells is a Hall of Fame, Superbowl champion head coach. I don't think your making that comparison either, but I would allow a Parcells the time to work where I think you have to use the mentality with Idzik that "your first loss is your best loss" because he has no laurels to rest on. Someone else should be the proving ground for these guys - not us, a team that hasn't been successful in 50 years and has no system of personnel development in place, whatsoever. 

interesting stuff, Glenn, especially citing the Parcells drafts. It's almost as if good coaching can overcome not getting All-Pros at every 5th, 6th, and 7th round pick.

Great veteran players already in place and excellent free agent signings made up those teams that Parcells excelled with...even he needed good players.  Vinny, Curtis, Mawae, Mo Lewis, Aaron Glenn, Victor Green, Chrebet, Keyshawn, Bryan Cox.  Jason Ferguson was just about the only pick that meant anything to that great '98 team...oh, and Blake Spence with the blocked punt.  

Great veteran players already in place and excellent free agent signings made up those teams that Parcells excelled with...even he needed good players.  Vinny, Curtis, Mawae, Mo Lewis, Aaron Glenn, Victor Green, Chrebet, Keyshawn, Bryan Cox.  Jason Ferguson was just about the only pick that meant anything to that great '98 team...oh, and Blake Spence with the blocked punt.  

So I think without even realizing it, you're admitting that coaching was the difference.

Great veteran players already in place and excellent free agent signings made up those teams that Parcells excelled with...even he needed good players. Vinny, Curtis, Mawae, Mo Lewis, Aaron Glenn, Victor Green, Chrebet, Keyshawn, Bryan Cox. Jason Ferguson was just about the only pick that meant anything to that great '98 team...oh, and Blake Spence with the blocked punt.

Are you saying that Derrick Mason, Antonio Cromartie, Laron Landry, Santonio Holmes, and Plaxico Burress weren't great veteran leaders?

So I think without even realizing it, you're admitting that coaching was the difference.

Please elaborate. My comment was that Parcells had very good players and he needed them in order to win. Trying as hard as I can but can't manage to think of a great team that had terrible players. Coaching will absolutely make a ton of difference when talent is evenly matched, but for whatever reason, Jets GM's regularly don't get it done when they have a ton of picks.

Are you saying that Derrick Mason, Antonio Cromartie, Laron Landry, Santonio Holmes, and Plaxico Burress weren't great veteran leaders?

Huh? Who said anything about anyone being a leader? I was saying that Jets GM's are bad at drafting good players when they have many picks. I then said that if a good coach has good players, he will get results. Much like Parcells. He was able to cover up the fact that he went 3-23 in two drafts because there were good players there before he arrived (Keyshawn Chrebet, Glenn, Green, Shadetree, Mo) and he spend money on others (Mawae, Curtis Martin).

Shocking concept that if you have discipline and moderate intelligence on your squad, that you may actually be able to get away with inferior talent as long as your guys are in position and not committing stupid penalties! Kinda like how basketball teams will run the zone defense instead of playing man to man to cut down on fouls and not get beat repeatedly when the inferior point guard keeps getting smoked by Kobe Bryant. Reminds me of our cornerbacks starting to play some zone but getting no help from our veteran safeties. Fat Mike said it in that rant that we should be auditioning defensive backs every day and yet somehow we have guys like "Adams?" starting ?

Inferior talent? Do you honestly believe that the 1998 Jets roster had inferior talent with some of the players I listed above? They had talent, just that it wasn't acquired when they had a plethora of picks.

Huh? Who said anything about anyone being a leader? I was saying that Jets GM's are bad at drafting good players when they have many picks. I then said that if a good coach has good players, he will get results. Much like Parcells. He was able to cover up the fact that he went 3-23 in two drafts because there were good players there before he arrived (Keyshawn Chrebet, Glenn, Green, Shadetree, Mo) and he spend money on others (Mawae, Curtis Martin).

Apologies. I thought you were showing that having a lot of draft picks guaranteed nothing and that missing on those picks isn't the death knell you might think it'd be if the coach was good enough.

Apologies. I thought you were showing that having a lot of draft picks guaranteed nothing and that missing on those picks isn't the death knell you might think it'd be if the coach was good enough.

Nope, just saying the Jets can't draft, and every coach needs good players.

Mostly about how they can't draft, I think we have enough threads about how any coach shouldn't need good players to succeed.

I know Parcells gets a pass for the fact that he made horrible draft day decisions because of his resume...but if he can go 3-23, not all that shocking to see Idizik go 1-19, and the jury is still out on some of his picks.

Simply it's very damning fo defensive genius Rex Ryan that evenr when he doesn;t have shutdown corners his only tactic is to blitz everyone every chance he gets. He not only doesn;'t know much about offense, he's a one trick pony on defense. And while he 'll have days when the defense can pull it together (the Pats, the Broncos) the offense is from hunger. Doens;t grasp that rules and refs mean every defense like breaks down no matter how talented or well-cacoahed. While we've had 2 Super Bowls ina  row featuring 3 defensives teams, those 3 teams all scored over 30 points in the game. . Problem is again and again the rules limit the defense and enourage passing. In the matrix of things the team as a whole can choose to do and do well, Rex Ryan's teams are going to be the least successful mix of choices. And it means there is no margin for error. when youi have a horror show at QB, even worse. Braffing about running or stopping the run is an embarrassing joke.

d9edd4c9c994892f3fe97884053d1871_TEMP.jp

think of the dumbest most idiotic message board poster you've ever encountered on a Jets board. 

take a second, really think about it. 

Ok you got it? 

even that guy would do a better job than John Idzik. 

Suspect if we gave you, ZTom and Sperm the keys to the Jets' war room the AM of the draft, despite the fisticuffs it would be a better outcome, Or a small percentage of posters who woke up still drunk and had intenet access. Idzik is a catastrophe even before he stepped up to the mike Monday when he merely confrimed he has no business being an NFL GM.

Suspect if we gave you, ZTom and Sperm the keys to the Jets' war room the AM of the draft, despite the fisticuffs it would be a better outcome, Or a small percentage of posters who woke up still drunk and had intenet access. Idzik is a catastrophe even before he stepped up to the mike Monday when he merely confrimed he has no business being an NFL GM.

There would be blood.

Archived