Do we have an Official Video Games thread here?

Fishooked

On 4/6/2016 at 5:59 AM, Fishooked said:

FINALLY!

Edit: I did it at Red Rocket with 5 settlers and Dogmeat

j8eB6Va.jpg

Also this is like my only Platinum trophy ever, besides The Walking Dead Season 1 

VEa8mlz.jpg

Congrats!

I think I'm going to go for this one in the next couple of days. Problem is, I need about 6,000 caps to build the clinics I'm going to put in there. I'm always caps-poor because I'm something of a hoarder and I never sell anything. 

8 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

So I caved in and got Fallout. No idea what I'm doing, but wandering and dying is fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's my favorite part--well, not the dying, but the wandering around and exploring. Honestly, the game does a pretty piss-poor job of explaining things so you'll probably want to seek out a guide or two for the gameplay basics. 

48 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

So I caved in and got Fallout. No idea what I'm doing, but wandering and dying is fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's basically what you do. Quest and fractions will come to you. Build up your character how you want to play, and basically learn on the fly. There's no cap on your perks. 

32 minutes ago, Bombdirt said:

Congrats!

I think I'm going to go for this one in the next couple of days. Problem is, I need about 6,000 caps to build the clinics I'm going to put in there. I'm always caps-poor because I'm something of a hoarder and I never sell anything. 

Yeah you'll be piss poor in the beginning, I would usually keep all the weapons but sell off all of the endless Raider gear I pickup. Max Strong Back like I mentioned and you'll never run out of stuff to sell and scrap.

One of the junk items that seems to have value is cigarettes, cigarette cartons, and cigar boxes. They almost arent worth scrapping for junk (cloth).

4 hours ago, Fishooked said:

Welcome, fellow Wastelander! 

so this is next gen and a few years later, removing setting and genre (fantasy vs post apocalyptic) (magic/bows/swords vs guns) how much better is fallout than skyrim. 

4 hours ago, Fishooked said:

Yeah you'll be piss poor in the beginning, I would usually keep all the weapons but sell off all of the endless Raider gear I pickup. Max Strong Back like I mentioned and you'll never run out of stuff to sell and scrap.

One of the junk items that seems to have value is cigarettes, cigarette cartons, and cigar boxes. They almost arent worth scrapping for junk (cloth).

I got "Benevolent Leader" today. It took me about an hour and a half to set up (selling things for caps, building stuff, etc.) and another hour of waiting for that happiness meter to tick up, but all in all the method I used made it pretty simple (I did the Red Rocket way as well). I'm glad to get that achievement in the bag after hearing all the difficulty people are having with it. I don't think I'm going to mess with any other settlements anymore. Screw 'em. 

Now I just need eight more levels to get the achievement for 50, then a few more random ones (like the one for hacking 50 computers--I never can seem to find enough in these games) and I'll be ready to go back and do the different endings. 

11 minutes ago, CTM said:

so this is next gen and a few years later, removing setting and genre (fantasy vs post apocalyptic) (magic/bows/swords vs guns) how much better is fallout than skyrim. 

That's a tough question, really. It's hard for me personally to separate the setting/genre factor; I'm more of a fan of magic and bows than I am guns, but I love both games. 

This Fallout is (or at least seems) much bigger, and the dungeons seem more intricate than anything in Skyrim, and Fallout has the upper hand in weapon customization and the separate building mechanic, but I think if you strip away the next-gen bells and whistles they're about the same, honestly. Both spectacular games. 

The one major thing I miss from Skyrim that I can't do in Fallout is steal people's clothes off their bodies (and I'm not absolutely certain you can't do that in this Fallout; I haven't leveled my steal to the max yet). There's just something hilarious about making all the townsfolk go about their daily business in their underwear. 

57 minutes ago, Bombdirt said:

I got "Benevolent Leader" today. It took me about an hour and a half to set up (selling things for caps, building stuff, etc.) and another hour of waiting for that happiness meter to tick up, but all in all the method I used made it pretty simple (I did the Red Rocket way as well). I'm glad to get that achievement in the bag after hearing all the difficulty people are having with it. I don't think I'm going to mess with any other settlements anymore. Screw 'em. 

Now I just need eight more levels to get the achievement for 50, then a few more random ones (like the one for hacking 50 computers--I never can seem to find enough in these games) and I'll be ready to go back and do the different endings. 

Son of a bitch

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

So, hi. Not to throw any spoilers out there, but I made a moral choice that caused me to get tossed out of The Institution (story of my life), and now it seems I have no real missions or storyline. Did I err? 

Did you try doing more Railroad/Minutemen/Brotherhood stuff? You might be able to pick back up with one of them. How close to the end are you? 

5 hours ago, Bombdirt said:

That's a tough question, really. It's hard for me personally to separate the setting/genre factor; I'm more of a fan of magic and bows than I am guns, but I love both games. 

This Fallout is (or at least seems) much bigger, and the dungeons seem more intricate than anything in Skyrim, and Fallout has the upper hand in weapon customization and the separate building mechanic, but I think if you strip away the next-gen bells and whistles they're about the same, honestly. Both spectacular games. 

The one major thing I miss from Skyrim that I can't do in Fallout is steal people's clothes off their bodies (and I'm not absolutely certain you can't do that in this Fallout; I haven't leveled my steal to the max yet). There's just something hilarious about making all the townsfolk go about their daily business in their underwear. 

I'm the same in terms of preferring magic over bows. Think it goes back to FF7 which is the first RPG i played and right up there with Skyrim as my favorite. (Can't wait for this rere)

Thanks for the feedback though!

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

So, hi. Not to throw any spoilers out there, but I made a moral choice that caused me to get tossed out of The Institution (story of my life), and now it seems I have no real missions or storyline. Did I err? 

7 hours ago, Bombdirt said:

Did you try doing more Railroad/Minutemen/Brotherhood stuff? You might be able to pick back up with one of them. How close to the end are you? 

Which mission was it? Or did you just go in there on a murderous ramapage?

If you did the Mass Fusion quest for the BOS then that would do it.

8 hours ago, Bombdirt said:

1 hour ago, Fishooked said:

Which mission was it? Or did you just go in there on a murderous ramapage?

If you did the Mass Fusion quest for the BOS then that would do it.

It was the quest where you had to run down the four synths and they beg you to let them go free. I opted to let them go, but then the Courser I was with opened fire on me and we ended up killing all the synths in the crossfire anyway. When you return to The Institute, Shaun basically tells you you're no longer welcome at the Institite. The only missions I have left alive are the tech ones for Scribe Haylen, that bugged-up quest where you have to clear University Point/Park/Square(?) but can't, and the viable blood sample retrieval for the BOS.

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It was the quest where you had to run down the four synths and they beg you to let them go free. I opted to let them go, but then the Courser I was with opened fire on me and we ended up killing all the synths in the crossfire anyway. When you return to The Institute, Shaun basically tells you you're no longer welcome at the Institite. The only missions I have left alive are the tech ones for Scribe Haylen, that bugged-up quest where you have to clear University Point/Park/Square(?) but can't, and the viable blood sample retrieval for the BOS.

I'd bet crushers dinner bill that you let them go free and then slaughtered them intentionally the minute their back was turned to you

30 minutes ago, CTM said:

I'd bet crushers dinner bill that you let them go free and then slaughtered them intentionally the minute their back was turned to you

Jesus, you know me so well. There was one synth left alive and he was doing that thing where they cower and bob up and down with their hands over their head. I was going to just leave him, but it wouldn't let me end the mission, so I pulled out the overcharged night vision laser sniper rifle and shot him through the ear. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

That the Battle of Bunker Hill quest iirc - is this where you meet him on the roof of CIT and he tells you that?

If so I think there is a way to bullsh*t him into saying it was an ambush, and you can still do quests for them - skip to around 14:00 or so - 

(the idiot savant perk triggering is a nice touch LOL) 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Did you talk to Father at the top of the CIT ruins? I think you can try to salvage your status during that conversation--and if you do end up kicked out, you can continue with the Minutemen and/or Brotherhood. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Jesus, you know me so well. There was one synth left alive and he was doing that thing where they cower and bob up and down with their hands over their head. I was going to just leave him, but it wouldn't let me end the mission, so I pulled out the overcharged night vision laser sniper rifle and shot him through the ear. 

I did the same thing, just for the paltry amounts of XP I would get.   \\ ٩( ᐛ )و //

Wheeeeeee

So I got all the (base game) Fallout 4 achievements...shortly thereafter I realized just how much time I've put into that game. It has sucked up every ounce of my free time (and much of my sleep time) since I started. I think I will take a break for a while and play something soothing and relaxing like Witcher 3. I also need to get into all the Resident Evil stuff that's come out in the past couple of months. I've been neglecting my RE fanboy status. 

But yeah, Fallout = crack. I'll be back for the expansions at some point. 

b527b0bde52a40b30b90a093b5258832.jpg

8520ec508ab188d5c8cc215cf0b635ce.jpg

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Bombdirt said:

Wheeeeeee

So I got all the (base game) Fallout 4 achievements...shortly thereafter I realized just how much time I've put into that game. It has sucked up every ounce of my free time (and much of my sleep time) since I started. I think I will take a break for a while and play something soothing and relaxing like Witcher 3. I also need to get into all the Resident Evil stuff that's come out in the past couple of months. I've been neglecting my RE fanboy status. 

But yeah, Fallout = crack. I'll be back for the expansions at some point. 

b527b0bde52a40b30b90a093b5258832.jpg

8520ec508ab188d5c8cc215cf0b635ce.jpg

2JrU4f6.gif

Goddamn, already? It took me like 4 months to get all of those.

Then again I did ignore the main story for quite awhile and just spent time ******* around in settlements. Can't wait to build my deathclaw cage matches with Wasteland Workshop! 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Fishooked said:

2JrU4f6.gif

Goddamn, already? It took me like 4 months to get all of those.

Then again I did ignore the main story for quite awhile and just spent time ******* around in settlements. Can't wait to build my deathclaw cage matches with Wasteland Workshop! 

Yeah, I didn't really spend as much time screwing around and exploring as I usually do in these games, so a lot of my hours were spent questing. I also didn't do much with the settlement-building stuff; the mechanic is cool and a nice touch, but it just wasn't my thing, I guess. 

4371985.jpg

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Bombdirt said:

Yeah, I didn't really spend as much time screwing around and exploring as I usually do in these games, so a lot of my hours were spent questing. I also didn't do much with the settlement-building stuff; the mechanic is cool and a nice touch, but it just wasn't my thing, I guess. 

4371985.jpg

I'm pretty sure I still haven't found all of the side quests yet; I'm sure there is a checklist somewhere. The settlement mode is wonky at times but I like it. 

Update on The Division:

It's actually awesome.  haha.  I finally figured out how to advance the story line and get to the cut scenes and what not that dont actually flow with the game. 

The game is really fun and the missions are not redundant in the fact its always a new place on the map, the end boss characters starts to change more as the game advances and you level up.  My weapons now are nasty and you can advance your character by assigning skills and other cool features that you can use in combat.

It's really cool to take on a big mission and match up with other online players (agents), the mission expands and the amount of enemies you have to defeat increase based on how large the team is...so I've been beating them solo and then teaming up to see how different the game play is and it's significant.  

There are a lot of Batman-esque elements to it, with side missions, side stories, and cool flash back investigating crimes scenes type stuff. 

Tons of fun.  Highly recommend it now. 

• 2 weeks later...