Do we have an Official Video Games thread here?

Fishooked

On 5/17/2020 at 2:07 AM, JustEndTheSuffering said:

I’ve been playing NFL 2K5 lately. The franchise mode in this game is miles ahead of the current maddens and honestly the gameplay is better too. It’s unbelievable how much stuff there is to do. 

Even the Madden's of that era had a great franchise mode. The effort put into it was incomparable to the lifeless garbage we have today.

Online gaming just killed sports games. FIFA and Madden have become nothing but tools for EA to rinse as much money out of ultimate team as possible and so long as that remains the case there's no hope for the game's improving. It's abysmal. They literally introduce new features that had been staples of the games in the early 00's. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Even the Madden's of that era had a great franchise mode. The effort put into it was incomparable to the lifeless garbage we have today.

Online gaming just killed sports games. FIFA and Madden have become nothing but tools for EA to rinse as much money out of ultimate team as possible and so long as that remains the case there's no hope for the game's improving. It's abysmal. They literally introduce new features that had been staples of the games in the early 00's. 

Agreed, the older madden's were much better than what we see right now. Everything revolves around ultimate team and getting gamers to purchase ultimate team packs so EA can make more $$$

• Upvote 1

On 5/12/2020 at 4:32 PM, Panzer Division Marduk said:

FFVII Remake arrived today, so onto that. Heard various things, good and bad, from people about it. Having spent hundreds of hours on the original back in the day, I am hopeful.

Really enjoyed it, though I think it should have been called a reboot rather than a remake, because with the little changes here and there, I can't help wondering if it's going to go the same way as Evangelion did with the Rebuild movies. 

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, and Rockstar can piss off too.  "Good news everyone, we know you want GTA 6, but who really needs that, because we'll be bringing out GTA 5 for for the PS5 instead!" Seriously?

I guess they're still raking in too much money from those pathetic morons who keep paying for shark cards to actually bother to get cracking on GTA 6. And you just know it'll end up being a few new missions, some fancy new cars, and probably a flying submarine for online, while single player mode will get f**k all. Just like PS4, really.

5 hours ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

Oh, and Rockstar can piss off too.  "Good news everyone, we know you want GTA 6, but who really needs that, because we'll be bringing out GTA 5 for for the PS5 instead!" Seriously?

I guess they're still raking in too much money from those pathetic morons who keep paying for shark cards to actually bother to get cracking on GTA 6. And you just know it'll end up being a few new missions, some fancy new cars, and probably a flying submarine for online, while single player mode will get f**k all. Just like PS4, really.

Support CD Projekt Red. My reflexes are too slow these days to play online against 12 yo's. Keep single player alive!!

• Upvote 1

On 6/20/2020 at 5:55 PM, CTM said:

Why?

Can't really say without major spoilers but it was everything I didn't want. Wasn't a fan of there being a sequel to begin with but they just take a sh*t over people who loved the original. You can look up why if you're curious although I do wish I'd have read them before spewing away £50. 

On 6/20/2020 at 9:50 PM, Panzer Division Marduk said:

Took your money and decided to s**t on your face, from the sounds of it.

Put it down and will probably never play it again. I'd say I played 3 hours if even. 

It's probably a good game for those not invested in the previous story. Looked fantastic as most AAA games do but f*ck what they did with the story. 

Hilarious gulf between the critics score and the user score. Says it all. Knew the media would lap that sh*t up.

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

Can't really say without major spoilers but it was everything I didn't want. Wasn't a fan of there being a sequel to begin with but they just take a sh*t over people who loved the original. You can look up why if you're curious although I do wish I'd have read them before spewing away £50. 

Put it down and will probably never play it again. I'd say I played 3 hours if even. 

It's probably a good game for those not invested in the previous story. Looked fantastic as most AAA games do but f*ck what they did with the story. 

Hilarious gulf between the critics score and the user score. Says it all. Knew the media would lap that sh*t up.

I’m about an hour in and my read is that they’re spending a looooot of time hammering home the central premise that the angsty Gen Z’s are inheriting the earth from the sh*tty olds and they have to decIde whether to live life in a better, more altruistic way or if being a self-dealing, violent a-hole is simply baked in to human existence(?)

TLOU II: three hours in now and it’s among the finest games I’ve ever seen. The graphics are great, the movements are incredible, the characters are rich and well-developed, the AI of your partner is intuitive and smart (she actually helps you survive!), and the story, so far, is compelling, if sad. I am not sure why anyone who liked TLOU would have an issue with this game unless they just really hate lesbians.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2020 at 8:50 AM, T0mShane said:

TLOU II: three hours in now and it’s among the finest games I’ve ever seen. The graphics are great, the movements are incredible, the characters are rich and well-developed, the AI of your partner is intuitive and smart (she actually helps you survive!), and the story, so far, is compelling, if sad. I am not sure why anyone who liked TLOU would have an issue with this game unless they just really hate lesbians.

Ok, so I just finished this and it’s a ******* masterpiece. Holy sh*t. A little clumsy with the LGBTQ stuff, but holy sh*t what a ride that was. Brilliant all around. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Ok, so I just finished this and it’s a ******* masterpiece. Holy sh*t. A little clumsy with the LGBTQ stuff, but holy sh*t what a ride that was. Brilliant all around. 

I'm creating a game called Saving Broadway, essentially you have to kill a bunch of senior citizens and then all your buddies make a lot of money in exchange for "campaign donations"..totally woke, you'll love it 

Re tlou2, sounds great, will pick it up. Do you have ps4 pro or the regular version? 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, CTM said:

I'm creating a game called Saving Broadway, essentially you have to kill a bunch of senior citizens and then all your buddies make a lot of money in exchange for "campaign donations"..totally woke, you'll love it 

Re tlou2, sounds great, will pick it up. Do you have ps4 pro or the regular version? 

I would play Saving Broadway just for the highly customizable CTM “heat maps” that show the American South has nothing to worry about because it’s warm in the summer...or do they? BWA-HA-HA-Ha <Downloads DLC where Texas High school football gets canceled and cities burn while Big Boss Andrew Cuomo’s favorability soars because, justifiably, nobody engages with “libertarians“ who suspiciously want to help the ruling party elide all responsibility during a crisis> ❤️❤️❤️

A word of caution for you on TLOU: you’ll recall that my favorite element in video games is strategic serial murder and that’s really what you’re doing for ten hours. It’s not like a crazy pulse-quickening game, but the characters are done really well, every character feels three-dimensional, and the level design is awesome. Also, playing a post-apocalyptic pandemic survival horror game right now was cathartic. I’m really curious as to what people hated about it. cc: @Irish Jet

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I would play Saving Broadway just for the highly customizable CTM “heat maps” that show the American South has nothing to worry about because it’s warm in the summer...or do they? BWA-HA-HA-Ha <Downloads DLC where Texas High school football gets canceled and cities burn while Big Boss Andrew Cuomo’s favorability soars because, justifiably, nobody engages with “libertarians“ who suspiciously want to help the ruling party elide all responsibility during a crisis> ❤️❤️❤️

A word of caution for you on TLOU: you’ll recall that my favorite element in video games is strategic serial murder and that’s really what you’re doing for ten hours. It’s not like a crazy pulse-quickening game, but the characters are done really well, every character feels three-dimensional, and the level design is awesome. Also, playing a post-apocalyptic pandemic survival horror game right now was cathartic. I’m really curious as to what people hated about it. cc: @Irish Jet

The cognitive dissonance required to craft a post defending the "big boss", while accusing me of defending the "big boss" ruling party is stunning. The fact that your big boss leads all the other big bosses is kill rate by about 10-20× and also enjoys the full protection of several dangerous mini bosses like the cable news cyclops and the print mediadusa, as well as a horde of NPC online shamers make him quite possibly the most OP boss in video game history.

Tlou 1 was grand though., looking for ward to tlou2. My daughter should appreciate the theme as shes all about that representation 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CTM said:

The cognitive dissonance required to craft a post defending the "big boss", while accusing me of defending the "big boss" ruling party is stunning. The fact that your big boss leads all the other big bosses is kill rate by about 10-20× and also enjoys the full protection of several dangerous mini bosses like the cable news cyclops and the print mediadusa, as well as a horde of NPC online shamers make him quite possibly the most OP boss in video game history.

Tlou 1 was grand though., looking for ward to tlou2. My daughter should appreciate the theme as shes all about that representation 

Re: your last sentence, just know that they handle the lesbian/trans stuff as ham-handedly as you possibly could, which is why I think it’s (partially) getting flamed so hard in user reviews. Like, really sloppy wokeness delivered via sledgehammer.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Re: your last sentence, just know that they handle the lesbian/trans stuff as ham-handedly as you possibly could, which is why I think it’s (partially) getting flamed so hard in user reviews. Like, really sloppy wokeness delivered via sledgehammer.

I cant imagine it's worse than Sheera, the old female heman show that was recently remade with lgbtq representation as a focus. My kid is currently obsessed with it and building quite a tic tock following doing cosplay of the show.. Last I heard she was over a million views. What a world lol 

She used to enjoy playing games with me before she was a jerk teenager, maybe this is something we can enjoy together. I just cant get into Sheera, I've tried.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, CTM said:

I cant imagine it's worse than Sheera, the old female heman show that was recently remade with lgbtq representation as a focus. My kid is currently obsessed with it and building quite a tic tock following doing cosplay of the show.. Last I heard she was over a million views. What a world lol 

She used to enjoy playing games with me begorr she was a jerk teenager, maybe this is something we can enjoy together. I just cant get into Sheera, I've tried.

Put her onto Xena: Princess Warrior maybe(?) At least you get to stare at Lucy Lawless’s hot calves the whole time, and still get the feminist themes. 

• Haha 1

So, upon reading up on it, the user-score bombing was a right-wing website deal where they conspired to one-star the game because they heard there were lesbians in it. The director (and lead writer) who was born in Israel, has been getting flamed online with anti-semitic smears and the female voice actors are getting death threats for making the characters “gay.” Gamers are ****ed up, man.

On 7/11/2020 at 12:02 PM, T0mShane said:

POTENTIAL SPOILER

My reason for disliking the game was just my reaction to an early scene. You know which one. It just left me feeling empty and everything that I'd cared about in the previous game, the dynamic that made it so great, was gone. I feel like it was a pretty sh*tty way to treat the character and felt like a cheap plot device for giving Ellie something to do. It's probably is a great game beyond that but found myself just not interested in playing on after that. I know there were a lot of people who felt similarly.

Obviously it was going to attract a lot of the anti-SJW trash as just about any game will that revolves around a female character but I certainly don't think that was the primary reason it was criticised. The DLC from the previous game was entirely about Ellie's sexuality and it was universally praised. I think people just didn't like seeing their favourite character done like that and especially don't like playing with another certain character after that. 

I think how that scene affects you will dictate how you feel about the game. Either it invests you in the story more to go and get revenge or it pisses you off to the point where you feel nothing towards the game. To be fair I hated that there was a sequel to begin with. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

I think how that scene affects you will dictate how you feel about the game. Either it invests you in the story more to go and get revenge or it pisses you off to the point where you feel nothing towards the game. To be fair I hated that there was a sequel to begin with. 

SPOILERS

I had the same reaction after that scene, too, because I didn’t think E was a strong enough character to care about for any length of time. I found that DLC to be insanely boring without J, so when The Scene happened, I had my fears. They introduce a different playable character about a third of the way into the game that makes up for it and provides a pretty distinct change of perspective, though, and a depth that was missing from an E-focused experience alone. In the end, the story is still very much focused on J’s choices, and how his pre-outbreak sentimentalism had no place in the post-outbreak world. Many flashbacks, to boot. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/27/2020 at 8:50 AM, T0mShane said:

On 7/10/2020 at 11:29 PM, T0mShane said:

ok, thank god.  IJ had me tripping.

On 7/13/2020 at 1:07 PM, T0mShane said:

Looking forward to your perspective on it

I'm about 4 hours in and love it.  Is the storyline as good as the original?  No.  But I'm still enjoying it. I like the way they introduced the game, I was unsure what was going on and then when Joel/Tommy show up I was like, oh sh*t...I see.  Pretty good stuff. I think it's an easy storyline, vengeance etc.  but whatevs.  The game play is better than the 1st IMO. Not as clunky with their movement, especially on the sneak kills.

My only gripe, is they gave it the appearance of open world once you got to Seattle and that's frustrating in a game where gathering is so important.  Like, I got to explore as much of the map as I could but hit a cut scene and then left that area before I feel like I was able to find everything.  It happens to lesser extents now but I hate that stressed out feeling of not going too far and maximizing your looting.  I hate games when you run out of sh*t too easily.  I stopped playing Evil Within for that reason.  You'd kill a boss using everything and then 2 second laters have to face a stronger one with no chance to reup on sh*t.  

Anywho, it has not been an issue.  I've been well equipped for each fight.  Really fun.  Cant wait to play some more. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JiF said:

Anywho, it has not been an issue.  I've been well equipped for each fight.  Really fun.  Cant wait to play some more. 

1. Where, exactly, are you after four hours?

2. I’ll withhold comment on your remarks until you’re further along so as not to spoil

Just now, T0mShane said:

1. Where, exactly, are you after four hours?

2. I’ll withhold comment on your remarks until you’re further along so as not to spoil

I just put it down after I had to battle a bunch of Scars(sp?), basically the first scene after the Joel flash back.  

• Sympathy 1

On 7/13/2020 at 6:02 AM, Irish Jet said:

POTENTIAL SPOILER

My reason for disliking the game was just my reaction to an early scene. You know which one. It just left me feeling empty and everything that I'd cared about in the previous game, the dynamic that made it so great, was gone. I feel like it was a pretty sh*tty way to treat the character and felt like a cheap plot device for giving Ellie something to do. It's probably is a great game beyond that but found myself just not interested in playing on after that. I know there were a lot of people who felt similarly.

Obviously it was going to attract a lot of the anti-SJW trash as just about any game will that revolves around a female character but I certainly don't think that was the primary reason it was criticised. The DLC from the previous game was entirely about Ellie's sexuality and it was universally praised. I think people just didn't like seeing their favourite character done like that and especially don't like playing with another certain character after that. 

On 7/13/2020 at 7:15 AM, T0mShane said:

SPOILERS

I had the same reaction after that scene, too, because I didn’t think E was a strong enough character to care about for any length of time. I found that DLC to be insanely boring without J, so when The Scene happened, I had my fears. They introduce a different playable character about a third of the way into the game that makes up for it and provides a pretty distinct change of perspective, though, and a depth that was missing from an E-focused experience alone. In the end, the story is still very much focused on J’s choices, and how his pre-outbreak sentimentalism had no place in the post-outbreak world. Many flashbacks, to boot. 

I just finished it and while I enjoyed it, there were definitely some frustrating parts and not just the story, some of the game play too.

What I liked;

- beautiful game.  Visually stunning.  The details, the depth, the sounds - it really presented well.  

- game play for the most part was really well done.  Not as wonky as the first.  Everything seemed a little smoother.  I didnt find myself repeating actions like I did in the first one.  The movement in general I thought was just better.  I have some gripes here as well but I'll save them for what I didnt like  

- I liked the different perspectives.  Playing from both sides.  I've never seen that done before and while ultimately is was extremely predictable down to the end and I think a little bit lazy from a story arch perspective, it was unique.  When I had to fight Ellie, I thought it was the end I was pissed.  IDK I get Joel was the guy in the first one but I still developed a love for Ellie.  Especially after the DLC that came out that was just her.  My loyalty was there so when Abby beat her ass, I was not liking it.  Which I think in retrospect is cool they made you feel that way.

- I liked how many characters they had in the game, the multiple partners, and how they actually helped in fights, etc.  It brought some depth to the game and made the typical boring chit chat during the inbetween stages much more interesting, IMO.  

- the new monsters were really cool and creepy

- I loved when you had the last blow on someone to end a fight.  That slow-mo strike was rad.

What I didnt like;

- my biggest gripe was how easy it was to fight humans.  Like, they posed no challenge whatsoever and there werent enough fights with contaminated to compensate for it.   The final scenes, were not challenging at all which was lame.  Basically the only time I died was fighting monsters or if I just was being stupid and bum rushed a massive group.  

- while the multi weapon option was cool, it was unnecessary.  I barely found myself using anything other than rifle for long distance and shotgun/handgun for close quarters.  Probably because I didnt care if I made noise because the humans were stupid. 

- once you figured out what was going on, it was extremely predictable down to the final scenes.  I knew she was going to let Abby live, I knew her chick would be gone, I knew they'd show E all alone.  That said, Abby being the daughter of the Doc, seeking revenge, etc.  Cool angle.  I liked it but the revenge stories are always just to easy and predictable and it just allows you to take liberties that can feel unnecessary, which happened in this game but not enough to bother me, though some of the flashbacks were mind numbing.  

All in all, it was a fun game.  Hard to follow up what many consider one of the best video games ever made with a better sequel, so I was never expecting that out of the game.  I did however, expect a little more from a story-arch persepective but I think they obviously opened it up to keep these games going. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/20/2020 at 10:36 AM, JiF said:

What I didnt like;

JiF, I read this and have some thoughts, but I haven’t had time to write them out as yet. But, in their original conception of TLOU2, Joel and Tommy brutally murder Abby’s family (in this scenario, she’s not the doctor’s kid, she’s just part of a caravan that gets overrun by a vicious Joel. There was also intended to be a long set piece where Abby comes upon Isaac, who radicalizes her. IMO, some of the story elements feel disjointed because they changed the concept so dramatically during the production phase.