Do we have an Official Video Games thread here?

Fishooked

I too have all these issues, work, wife, kids, homework, lather rinse repeat.  But in between in my quiet moments I also enjoy a toke or 2, and I was going to get F4 but then I saw a vape on sale that I thought might take my quiet tokes to a higher place so I spent my F4 money (and then some) on it lol. 

Figures. Just picked it up. Stuck at work. 

WxRljC3.jpg

Edited by Fishooked
  • Upvote 1

Mini review: (no spoilers)

After finally getting home and helping the kids with their homework, doing dinner, was finally able to pop Fallout4 in for a bit last night. 

I was sooo ready to get going to the wasteland but you do have to create your character first. The character creator is very in depth (facial feature wise) that I found myself kind of rushing through it in order to get going. You do get a chance to rename and redo your character (as well as your SPECIAL stats) when you leave Vault 111. I also believe there are places afterwards where you can redo your character (Diamond City I think). 

There isn't much in the beginning of the game that you haven't already seen.

If you dawdle around when the bombs drop instead of running to the vault you will get killed, lmao. 

Once you leave the vault you pretty much meet Codsworth right away (he's pretty funny) back at your old home in Sanctuary. Be sure to look for the SPECIAL book in your home for another SPECIAL point.  The Red Rocket Truck station is pretty close to that, and that functions as your 'home base' right off the bat, which is nice. You can drop off all the junk you've hoarded right there at the workstation. 

I think you can jump right into scrapping everything in Sanctuary as your settlement but I didn't bother with any of that yet. The next closest location is Concord, which was also revealed in one of the gameplay trailers, where you clear out a bunch of raiders, which is where I left off for the night. 

Graphically up close it's not going to blow anyone away. It sure is colorful compares to FNV and F03. The world is full of detail and the looting system is nice, fast and easy, which is good because there is a sh*tload of stuff to look for. 

Heard some negative things about framerate drops and input lag on the PS4, but I haven't seen any of that so far. I already can't wait to get back into it. Going to be a long work week! 

PS - Been spending a lot of time on the following subreddits, lots of info. tips and tricks

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4

https://www.reddit.com/r/fallout

Edited by Fishooked

Caved in and got Black Ops 3, mostly because my son and I play a lot against robots in local multiplayer mode (he's not allowed online yet), and he really was looking forward to it.  Being honest, the multiplayer graphics seem weak.  Like real weak old school early XB360 kinds of weak.  Almost like it's all out of focus a bit.  Anther sucky thing is you can't play with a guest in your own home as the second player.  The second player must be a registered Xbox user, not XBGold, but at least have an XB live account.  Kind of sucks in my opinion.  I have only begun the Campaign, I like it.  It's COD entertaining, and given how shotty the MP looks I am hoping they put a lot of effort into the SP campaign.  I don't know how long it is, but the AI is pretty good, the enemies don't mess around, they pretty much charge you if they know where you are so you need to be a little more judicious with your strategy than past COD's where it's just run like mad and fire.  Overall I kind of wish selfishly I got FO4 for myself instead and just made the boy happy with Battlefront.     

Caved in and got Black Ops 3, mostly because my son and I play a lot against robots in local multiplayer mode (he's not allowed online yet), and he really was looking forward to it.  Being honest, the multiplayer graphics seem weak.  Like real weak old school early XB360 kinds of weak.  Almost like it's all out of focus a bit.  Anther sucky thing is you can't play with a guest in your own home as the second player.  The second player must be a registered Xbox user, not XBGold, but at least have an XB live account.  Kind of sucks in my opinion.  I have only begun the Campaign, I like it.  It's COD entertaining, and given how shotty the MP looks I am hoping they put a lot of effort into the SP campaign.  I don't know how long it is, but the AI is pretty good, the enemies don't mess around, they pretty much charge you if they know where you are so you need to be a little more judicious with your strategy than past COD's where it's just run like mad and fire.  Overall I kind of wish selfishly I got FO4 for myself instead and just made the boy happy with Battlefront.     

You should get both. Battlefront beta seemed fun, but I won't get it since I know I won't play with because Fallout. 

Mini review: (no spoilers)

After finally getting home and helping the kids with their homework, doing dinner, was finally able to pop Fallout4 in for a bit last night. 

I was sooo ready to get going to the wasteland but you do have to create your character first. The character creator is very in depth (facial feature wise) that I found myself kind of rushing through it in order to get going. You do get a chance to rename and redo your character (as well as your SPECIAL stats) when you leave Vault 111. I also believe there are places afterwards where you can redo your character (Diamond City I think). 

There isn't much in the beginning of the game that you haven't already seen.

If you dawdle around when the bombs drop instead of running to the vault you will get killed, lmao. 

Once you leave the vault you pretty much meet Codsworth right away (he's pretty funny) back at your old home in Sanctuary. Be sure to look for the SPECIAL book in your home for another SPECIAL point.  The Red Rocket Truck station is pretty close to that, and that functions as your 'home base' right off the bat, which is nice. You can drop off all the junk you've hoarded right there at the workstation. 

I think you can jump right into scrapping everything in Sanctuary as your settlement but I didn't bother with any of that yet. The next closest location is Concord, which was also revealed in one of the gameplay trailers, where you clear out a bunch of raiders, which is where I left off for the night. 

Graphically up close it's not going to blow anyone away. It sure is colorful compares to FNV and F03. The world is full of detail and the looting system is nice, fast and easy, which is good because there is a sh*tload of stuff to look for. 

Heard some negative things about framerate drops and input lag on the PS4, but I haven't seen any of that so far. I already can't wait to get back into it. Going to be a long work week! 

PS - Been spending a lot of time on the following subreddits, lots of info. tips and tricks

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4

https://www.reddit.com/r/fallout

Never played these games...is this an open map with missions kind of game?  Or is like stage by stage with a boss to get to the next stage type of game?  Does it have an online versus component?   I dont like the slow developing, do 30 things before the action starts types of games. 

I'm still pretty hooked on Metal Gear right now.  It's finally starting to get a little more challenging, though still a bit redundant so I'm just starting to wonder what else is out there to try.  

I've been playing Madden too.  They got this cool new feature that I just started messing with "Draft Champions".  Basically, you pick a HC and get a core team, then you have 15 rounds with 3 player cards each round to chose from.  So you can build an offensive or defensive heavy team or a balanced team, etc.  You then have to win 4 straight games vs. online opponents to win the "Draft Championships".  Pretty cool new addition to the game.   I dont even play head to head with the Jets anymore. 

Never played these games...

Clearly.

....is this an open map with missions kind of game?

It's a Open World RPG with a Main Questline you can choose to follow or not.

Or is like stage by stage with a boss to get to the next stage type of game?

No.

Does it have an online versus component?

No. Single player RPG only.

I dont like the slow developing, do 30 things before the action starts types of games.

Then single-player open-world RPG's are likely not for you.

I'm still pretty hooked on Metal Gear right now. It's finally starting to get a little more challenging, though still a bit redundant so I'm just starting to wonder what else is out there to try.

Fallout 4 is probably not the best choice for you, given the above. You sound like more a CoD/Star Wars Battlefront instant gratification/shooter kinda guy to me.

I went to my local GameStop on Tuesday with the intention of buying the new Tomb Raider, but they didn't have any copies for my system that weren't preordered (which seemed a little shortsighted to me, but whatever). I'll try again this weekend. I kind of hated the "pew-pew shooter" focus on the last installment but I'm going to pick this one up anyway since I'm kind of a Lara Croft fanboy. 

I just found out that Star Wars Battlefront has no single player campaign and I think it's ruined my afternoon.

I get owned if I try and go online in shooters by 12 year olds, so I usually don't. With no single player mode, I might not even pick this up now and I've been looking forward to it for months.. Frack

I just found out that Star Wars Battlefront has no single player campaign and I think it's ruined my afternoon.

I get owned if I try and go online in shooters by 12 year olds, so I usually don't. With no single player mode, I might not even pick this up now and I've been looking forward to it for months.. Frack

I feel your pain,  I don't play those games for the same reasons. Had no clue it didn't have single player. 

• Upvote 1

Clearly.

It's a Open World RPG with a Main Questline you can choose to follow or not.

No.

No. Single player RPG only.

Then single-player open-world RPG's are likely not for you.

Fallout 4 is probably not the best choice for you, given the above. You sound like more a CoD/Star Wars Battlefront instant gratification/shooter kinda guy to me.

Thanks bud.  That's what I figured.  I'll stay clear.

I tried out "Assassins Creed", what a bore.  A bunch of stupidity before any action and the action sucked.  Some Dragon game too.  They are not for me.

• Upvote 1

Funny, that makes me a little more interested to try.  I've been long searching for a game where the online play matched the awesomeness of when PS2 created that online box attachment for their system so you could do dial up and get online and then they released SoCom, followed by IMO the greatest online shooting game ever, SoCom II.  That game was epic.  We had a Simpson clan, followed by a Looney Tunes clan, interestingly enough I was Yosemite Sam and it was right around the time I started posting at JI.  

IMO nothing has come close that game.  One of the Batman installments actually had a pretty good version but it was really hard to figure out the maps and if you didnt know them like the back of your hand, you were toast. 

Anyone remember SoCom II and can point me in the direction of something modern yet similar? 

Funny, that makes me a little more interested to try.  I've been long searching for a game where the online play matched the awesomeness of when PS2 created that online box attachment for their system so you could do dial up and get online and then they released SoCom, followed by IMO the greatest online shooting game ever, SoCom II.  That game was epic.  We had a Simpson clan, followed by a Looney Tunes clan, interestingly enough I was Yosemite Sam and it was right around the time I started posting at JI.  

IMO nothing has come close that game.  One of the Batman installments actually had a pretty good version but it was really hard to figure out the maps and if you didnt know them like the back of your hand, you were toast. 

Anyone remember SoCom II and can point me in the direction of something modern yet similar? 

Used to log many hours into SOCOM back in the day, sadly it looks like its days are over - although I thought I read there is a kickstarter to try to bring it back. i cant really recommend anything since this old man pretty much sticks to single player these days. 

Used to log many hours into SOCOM back in the day, sadly it looks like its days are over - although I thought I read there is a kickstarter to try to bring it back. i cant really recommend anything since this old man pretty much sticks to single player these days. 

Dude, hours upon hours of SOCOM II, specifically.  This was back in school too when I had a sh*t ton of free time.  Cant count the number of times I got off work (bartender) at 3am and played till the sun came up!  Till this day, I think that is the best video game ever. 

This sounds more and more like it's going to be like Titanfall, which really turned out to be a pointless MP game with like 4 maps and a whole lot of nothing but kids killing you. 

This sounds more and more like it's going to be like Titanfall, which really turned out to be a pointless MP game with like 4 maps and a whole lot of nothing but kids killing you. 

From what I played of the Beta it seemed fun, if this was released next year I'd probably give it a shot. 

Most likely will be playing Fallout 4 for the next year, but may take a break when No Man's Sky comes out in June 2016

From what I played of the Beta it seemed fun, if this was released next year I'd probably give it a shot. 

Most likely will be playing Fallout 4 for the next year, but may take a break when No Man's Sky comes out in June 2016

I wish i could get into Fallout, I loved 3, but New Vegas turned me off to the series for some reason which I can't even articulate. I don't have much interest in 4 now which is weird because if this was an elder scrolls release I'd be in your shoes and dying to play as much as possible.

Just saved me $60.  I'm not dedicating 20 hours to get good enough to not embarrass myself. 

Just finished Evil Within which was real fun and on Far Cry 4 now..  I've had a bunch of games sitting here since last Black Fri when I bought the ps4 that I'm finally getting around to.

Far Cry 4 is definitely Far Cry 3 1/2 like has been said but it's full of awesomeness.

so I'm looking at xbox one for my 10 year old son for xmas.  is the kinect thing any good ?  do you have to buy games that are kinect compatible or are most games kinect compatible ?

is there any way to protect him from the wonderful world of internet assholes if he does the on-line headset thingy ? 

Edited by Larz

so I'm looking at xbox one for my 10 year old son for xmas.  is the kinect thing any good ?  do you have to buy games that are kinect compatible or are most games kinect compatible ?

is there any way to protect him from the wonderful world of internet assholes if he does the on-line headset thingy ? 

I only have the 360 w/Kinect, and I heard the new one is a lot better. My 11 yo and 8 yo play some of the kinect games every now and again, but not too often. The only reason I'd buy it again if I was doing Xbox one is because they are moving around when they do play, which is obv better then sitting on ass

I only have the 360 w/Kinect, and I heard the new one is a lot better. My 11 yo and 8 yo play some of the kinect games every now and again, but not too often. The only reason I'd buy it again if I was doing Xbox one is because they are moving around when they do play, which is obv better then sitting on ass

thanks for the info.  now I just have to figure out how to play lord of the rings games on it after everyone goes to bed, lol

Just saved me $60.  I'm not dedicating 20 hours to get good enough to not embarrass myself. 

Just finished Evil Within which was real fun and on Far Cry 4 now..  I've had a bunch of games sitting here since last Black Fri when I bought the ps4 that I'm finally getting around to.

Far Cry 4 is definitely Far Cry 3 1/2 like has been said but it's full of awesomeness.

FC4 got a lot of hate, but I had a lot of fun with it. It's basically a reskinned FC3, but in a better location, better music.

I normally hate stealth, but clearing outposts is fun as hell.

I wish i could get into Fallout, I loved 3, but New Vegas turned me off to the series for some reason which I can't even articulate. I don't have much interest in 4 now which is weird because if this was an elder scrolls release I'd be in your shoes and dying to play as much as possible.

Well you'll probably be waiting a while for another ES game. 

FNV was weird, I didn't like it at first but it's one of those games you have to stick with for a bit in the beginning. I love both F03 & FNV equally for different reasons.

Fallout 4 so far is not like either one of these. The only thing from getting me upset about this stupid Jets season is now knowing I have Fallout 4 to play. 

This may be of interest to you - H-Hour - they can't use the SOCOM name since I think Sony owns it, but it's successor looks like it will be coming to PC, PS4 at some point.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/SOCOM-Successor-H-Hour-Hits-Kickstarter-Goal-57309.html

• Upvote 1

This may be of interest to you - H-Hour - they can't use the SOCOM name since I think Sony owns it, but it's successor looks like it will be coming to PC, PS4 at some point.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/SOCOM-Successor-H-Hour-Hits-Kickstarter-Goal-57309.html

Nice...that does look a little SOCOM-ish.  I'll have to keep my eye out.

I take that back, lol.  I looked at some gameplay videos and its just too bloody for me, and its not the movie plot, no helms deep no black gate

sigh

Yeah, it's very bloody. Lots of senseless killing, mindless fun though :)  I didn't follow the movie at all.