Let's talk more Jet GM idiocy

lancemehl

Even the ones he threw to defensive linemen?

at that point Sanchez could have very well stopped giving a f@ck. The team never did much for him at all and it was beginning to get worse .... who knows what was going on in the kids head but if the lack of anything on the offensive side of the ball actually did start to effect him then I can't say I blame him. he certainly looks different in Philly and in that respect only the long term will tell. One thing you must give him credit for was he never complained here and he never stirred sh*t up he handled things with class even though he had plenty to hand out in blame.

at that point Sanchez could have very well stopped giving a f@ck. The team never did much for him at all and it was beginning to get worse .... who knows what was going on in the kids head but if the lack of anything on the offensive side of the ball actually did start to effect him then I can't say I blame him. he certainly looks different in Philly and in that respect only the long term will tell. One thing you must give him credit for was he never complained here and he never stirred sh*t up he handled things with class even though he had plenty to hand out in blame.

Nothing but carry him.  

Have to go FA CB and draft QB next offseason. Time for the other young guys at G. Let Geno sit and learn. Keep Vick. CJ2K was not healthy at the start of the season imo. Keep Harvin. More speed required at LB. Need a real pass rushing OLB/DE if we go to 4-3 scheme.

Coples is out of position. He is not James Harrison in his prime. Keep JJ at Starting S to evaluate. Sit Landry.

The Chris Johnson signing was unforgivably bad.

Tanny had a lot of great pickups. And they put us into a position to compete and almost get there. He got us a team capable of winning a SB IMO, unfortunately Brett Favre was a complete scumbag and when we did get close we didn't show up for the first half of the title game. His capitulation came with the re-signings, as Dom pointed out - The Sanchez contract was one of the most bizzare, inexplicable moves I've ever seen. Signing Tebow was then the icing on that cake of sh*te. 

Idzik has been absolutely horrendous thus far. Worse than Tanny.

So, to be clear. You disagreed with releasing Sanchez when we did it.... right? You felt we should keep him and his outrageous cap number this year? You weren't thrilled to see that failed experiment end? You obviously posted your thoughts as proof on this board somewhere right?

Also, he very well may thrive in Philly, but as soon as someone gives him another big contract he will revert back to what he is... a lazy beeyotch. Obviously he has talent, but when he gets comfortable he loses his drive. I really hope Philly bumps Foles for Sanchez and gives him some ridiculous contract this offseason. They are almost as snake bit as us so it makes perfect sense.

If you were here 2-3 years ago you would know that I defended Sanchez from the moment they replaced the whole offense with Plaxico Burress. Then when they got Tebow I shouted from the Hills. You could search the posts urself but the basic theme was:

This is the best qb weve had in decades.

He won 4 friggin playoff games in his first two years, beat Ne in foxboro.

We had stripped him of all his weapons and set him up to fail. The Tebow thing is killing him. Sporano is killing him. Clyde Gates as his go to guy is killing him.

ALL the great qbs throw picks and have accuracy issues early. Hes a winner. Look at his game winning drives.......blah blah blah

On and on amid a host of Tebow nuts and headline, bandwagoners........Then, when the onslaught was too much for anyone to overcome, he started really messing up.

BUT he had a chance to turn it around---a slim chance becuz they still had done nothing to provide offense weapons----but still he clearly dusted Geno Smith in the so called competition, but then the nail in the coffen....they put him in with a third string oline and ask him to win a preseason game----for rexs ego I suppose.

At that point, he was finished in NY. FTR YES I WOULD have given him a shot with morningweig even after shoulder surgery, but I was the only one on the planet......besides I figured he was mentally spent here. Theres no doubt he played horribly at the end.....as would anyone in his position.

I predicted he would go to another team and blow up---- I thought the Bills just to f the jets, but I guess the fact we have a 35 year old vick while he gets busy with philly is close enough.

Does that clear up my position to you?

Some people defend tanny, others idzig. WHO is responsible for falling from the final four to the bottom of the league in four years??

And I think just listing a handful of successful draft picks shows nothing. Any one of us can make picks and enjoy SOME success. That is the job of a scout. A general manager has to ensure the entire team is running well. And we clearly are not. It isnt about a pick here and there. Its about cohesion, consistency...and football intangibles that neither guy brings.

Mark's #4? Based on what criteria? How many hot dogs he can eat?

Harvin was the opposite of a panic move. It was frankly too deliberate and lacking in urgency. It was all about value and not about timing.

CJ was expected to come in and catch the ball as well as run. CJ of course wanted to be numero uno. Ivory is better as a lead back.

Vick playing well can win games. For most organizations, that's the priority. Show me an organization that looks forward to losing so they can garner draft picks and I'll show you a bunch of guys out of jobs. Unless the "us" you refer to is the fans who are happy to tank a season for a high draft pick. It isn't anybody on the Jets.

Sanchez is number 4 in QB rating.......after 2 starts, but hell remain right around 95 all year.

Harvin wasnt about timing? Why did it come at 1-6 and not in the offseason?

Yes...and nobody told CJ....setting the stage for locker room problems....intangibles like that NEVEr get taken into account by these non-football gms who go by a specific formula and never bother that these are human beings...., kids with GIANT egos?...hence Santonio Holmes 50m

No the us is the organization. Is it better to finish 7-9, 8-8 or 2-14.....long term? Actually scratch that last part. It is irrelevant with this team and the answer is probably 7-9.....becuz id rather keep rex, honestly.

Sanchez is number 4 in QB rating.......after 2 starts, but hell remain right around 95 all year.

Harvin wasnt about timing? Why did it come at 1-6 and not in the offseason?

No the us is the organization. Is it better to finish 7-9, 8-8 or 2-14.....long term?

Bold prediction.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying about how the Jets completely mismanaged his development, and I was one who was saying that I could see him having a Plunkett or Gannon late career blossoming back in the day, but I'm not sold that his time is now just yet. We'll see, he's the starter now. He has the physical ability, it's all about his decision making.

Bold prediction.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying about how the Jets completely mismanaged his development, and I was one who was saying that I could see him having a Plunkett or Gannon late career blossoming back in the day, but I'm not sold that his time is now just yet. We'll see, he's the starter now. He has the physical ability, it's all about his decision making.

It is, Slats. But I'm telling you, I believe in this kid. Maybe it was the playoff game in NE. I dont know. lol

As I recall reading way back when, the Cardinals actually started in Chicago before the Bears, lost out to them and moved.  They were actually good in St. Louis for a few years with Jim Hart throwing to Mel Gray.  Never won a Super Bowl, but good.  Then they went to the SB with Kurt Warner and lost.  That's about it for the Cardinals.

I honestly tried to search previous posts but I can only see posts from the past 30 days. If you have been a pro Sanchez guy his whole career then I applaud you for not being a hypocrite. 99% of the guys crying about Sanchez today hated him 6 months ago and were excited about Geno.

However, if you supported keeping Sanchez after his injury you were simply wrong. I agree that the Jets did some things to hurt his development, but in the end he encountered a crisis of confidence. It's every players personal responsibility to stay confident, especially franchise QB's. The 2012 Jets offense was pretty bad, but the 2011 team was about equally as talented as this years Colts offense, minus the QB of coarse. Nonetheless Luck hasn't made excuses. What's so amazing about this years Cardinals offense? Or even their defense which has been decimated by injuries. You don't hear any crying from those players because they have a culture of winning in those environments.

Look at the Patriots roster and their injuries. They had every reason to pack it in and start making excuses 4 games into the season.

Under Rex we have a culture of excuses and Mark was spoiled by that. We have 8 former 1st round picks on defense and people are complaining that Rex wasn't given any talent to work with.

Sanchez's talent is undeniable, it's his heart that is the issue. So I'm putting this in writing and bookmarking it so we can revisit this in one year. If Mark finishes this year strong and gets a phat contract in Philly or somewhere else, by this time next year you will see 2012 Sanchez pouting in the sideline and partying in the clubs.

Cardinals have a culture of winning?

Let me be clear. I did NOT like Sanchez when they picked him, but as the season went on I saw the talent, and after hardknocks I bashed him for being a clown, unfocused....and I bashed him in an article after the opening day mess that year, but after a few games he won me over and ive been a fan ever since.

Its really well known around here because I was dogged for it. Im also all over twitter defending him. (Shonnfrank)

I was disappointed in his last season....no doubt, how could u not be.

I would not say that I "supported" keeping him after the injury, because there was no issue, He was gone. But because I know how good he really is and how much better than Geno Smith he is ( I mean, number 6 overall vs. A second rounder lol), I personally WOULD have been ecstatic if they kept him over smith.

Of course, A. That was never gonna happen. B. I wouldve soon been pissed again becuz they did nothing to improve besides dump Tebow.

Speaking of, the Colts are MUCH better offensively than our 2011 squad.

They actually surrounded their franchise pick with playmakers that draft.

Yeah, they do have a culture of winning. Their last coach brought them to the lead in the superbowl with 1 minute left and their current coach (and coaching staff) did an amazing job last year and currently have the best record in football.

Culture doesn't mean 30 years strung together, culture is created by the current regime.

So yes, with what they have accomplished with the coaches they currently have and the way they have responded to a bunch of big injuries they have a winning culture.

Really?  Whisenhunt went 5-11 twice and his "culture of winning" was eerily similar to Ryan's career with the Jets.  They have not been in the playoffs since 2009, when they were ******* eradicated by the Saints 45-15.  Kurt Warner was still QB.  You think the Jets were flat against the Steelers in 2010?  How do you figure 45-10? Arians seems to have them rolling, but one 10-6 season and a great start do not constitute a "culture of winning"  They were 5-11 in 2012 (and 2010). 

It is, Slats. But I'm telling you, I believe in this kid. Maybe it was the playoff game in NE. I dont know. lol

I believe in him too. Really wish all this wouldn't of happened he could be better than Stafford by now. Doesn't look like he will ever find his way back here again to re patch things and play for a better offense(Assuming we at least get slightly better... can't get much worse now)

Really? Whisenhunt went 5-11 twice and his "culture of winning" was eerily similar to Ryan's career with the Jets. They have not been in the playoffs since 2009, when they were ******* eradicated by the Saints 45-15. Kurt Warner was still QB. You think the Jets were flat against the Steelers in 2010? How do you figure 45-10? Arians seems to have them rolling, but one 10-6 season and a great start do not constitute a "culture of winning" They were 5-11 in 2012 (and 2010).

Nobody over 25 would ever associate the Arizona (or Phoenix or st.louis) Cardinals a winning franchise. lol

I believe in him too. Really wish all this wouldn't of happened he could be better than Stafford by now. Doesn't look like he will ever find his way back here again to re patch things and play for a better offense(Assuming we at least get slightly better... can't get much worse now)

Yeah....a lot of people believe in him now. Im sure Sanchez would rather piss on a Jets jersey than ever wear one again. lol Dont blame him.

Sanchez driving down the field. Completr for another first down. He's got a nice drive going here, as the Jets get into field goal range. First and ten. Wait. Here comes Tim Tebow and the wildcat.....take a seat, Mark. Ohhh. Loss of seven. Second and 17...Sanchez back under center. smh foh......

(I wish I had to time to pull up some drives from espn.com..... ridiculous)

Whatta you know I found time. Lol This took literally 30 seconds to grab. I just looked for a drive with a lot of plays and a punt. This is nothing...but it IS a game they lost by 6 points....and it illustrates the untimely distraction that was tim tebow. ANY great QB will tell you this is unacceptable. Not to mention the practice reps taken away:

NOTICE both first and 10s. Nothing like giving ur QB a shot to get in rhythm.

This sums up mark's final season here.

NYJ: 6 plays, 18 yards, 2:55 - Punt

4th and 15 at HOU 40: R.Malone punts 25 yards to HST 15, Center-T.Purdum, fair catch by T.Holliday.

3rd and 10 at HOU 35: (Shotgun) M.Sanchez sacked at HST 40 for -5 yards (J.Watt).

2nd and 10 at HOU 35: M.Sanchez pass incomplete short middle to S.Greene (T.Dobbins).

1st and 10 at HOU 35: (Shotgun) T.Tebow left tackle to HST 35 for no gain (J.Watt).

Timeout #2 by NYJ at 08:31.

2nd and 18 at NYJ 46: (Shotgun) M.Sanchez pass short right to S.Greene to HST 35 for 19 yards (D.Manning; S.Cody).

1st and 10 at HOU 46: Direct snap to J.McKnight. J.McKnight right guard to NYJ 46 for -8 yards (G.Quin).

1st and 10 at NYJ 42: S.Greene up the middle to HST 46 for 12 yards (G.Quin).

The genius of tony sporano.

How many times he started 2nd and at least 10 on the opponents side of the field (apparently thats where the plan for tebow was...smh foh) I lost count.....but it was all mark. Do that to Eli. lol

I'm not following all of these numbers, but we obviously aren't going to agree. I see Arians as the best new HC in the league and the prototype for what any struggling team should look for. But, who cares.

My question is this. Is your name referring to Milliner? I've been dying to ask.

Bite your ******* tongue.  I like Milliner, but he is no Dominator.  I'm the one and only Dominator!

(Russell Carter)

I'm not following all of these numbers, but we obviously aren't going to agree. I see Arians as the best new HC in the league and the prototype for what any struggling team should look for. But, who cares.

My question is this. Is your name referring to Milliner? I've been dying to ask.

Not following all of these numbers?  Are you actually using the math is gay argument to discuss teams records?  It's pretty simple.  Look at the Cardinals records.  Whisenhunt 8-8, 9-7 lost in the super bowl, 10-6, 5-11, 8-8 and 5-11.  Pretty similar to what Rex has done here and it righfully got him fired.  Arians looks good so far, but let's see what he does when Palmer goes down.  If 2 years consitutes a culture of winning, the Jets have had that under Ryan and Tannenbaum.  

Before anybody starts talking about how the Jets were never that good, remember you are giving the Cards credif for their 9-7 super bowl march, which included a complete dismantling (56 points!) by these very Jets who finished with the same ******* record.  They made the playoffs because they were in  a piss poor division that included Mike Nolan's 49ers, Holmgren's 4-12 Seahawks and Linehan's 2-14 Rams.  Matt ******* Cassel dropped 350 yards and 3 TDs on them down the stretch. Grass is always greener.

Not following all of these numbers? Are you actually using the math is gay argument to discuss teams records? It's pretty simple. Look at the Cardinals records. Whisenhunt 8-8, 9-7 lost in the super bowl, 10-6, 5-11, 8-8 and 5-11.

And thats the absolute BEST it has ever been there. lol

89 turnovers in 4 years as a Jet. Sanchez blew it, good riddance. let the Eagles organization and fans deal with him now. 

they paid CJ?K so they want to use him. understandable. Ivory is the better pounder, everyone can see that. I'd chalk that up to the coaches being stubborn. CJ will play out his contract and be gone. 

cornerback though, no excuses, Idzik botched that position so so bad. I'm not gonna throw in the towel on Milliner/Mcdougle yet, but damn hes done a poor job with that position group. 

his "plan" seems to be: spend wisely in FA, if at all, and build through the draft. but if he swings and misses again in this springs draft, good chance he's a goner 

Given his first two drafts, I would not want Idzik to have a third try. Lets see, he picks Richardson with his first ever pick, which was a great one. Then an injury prone CB, Geno, A few halfway decent OL (Winters, Abushay) and not much else. His second draft was even worse with the head scratching pick of Calvin Pryor. Amaro may turn out to be decent, but he really missed on all the WR's he selected. Given that Idzik was a WR in college, how could he have missed so badly on a position that was so deep? Cimini said drafting WR's last year was like shooting fish in a barrel and Idzik missed the barrel. Clean house Woody.

How long does it take to establish a winning culture? You are confused. You think I'm saying that the Cardinals are an elite franchise like the Steelers.

I'm saying, in a tough division, the coaching staff in Arizona has created a no excuse, next man up, no feeling sorry for yourselves, we didn't sign enough corners to help our 8 first round draft picks on defense, the GM won't let me start Mike Vick because he has put his whole career on the line for a 2nd round draft pick that makes 600K a year, making jokes at press conferences like a lounge act when you are 2-8, lap band ...... Culture of losing.

That's all I'm saying. Not that the cardinals are the greatest team in pro sports. It's the coaching staff they have built and the "culture" they have created. Which is the exact opposite of what we have here.

Okay, but then the Jets had a winning culture going into 2011.  Yippee!  

The next man up bullsh*t only works when there are men on your roster.  There is nothing anybody could have done with these corners.  They have nothing.  The two guys playing last week in the win were not on roster in September. Having Walls and Wilson be the next man up is one thing.  Having them be the guys going down and needing the next man up is borderline criminal.

Given his first two drafts, I would not want Idzik to have a third try. Lets see, he picks Richardson with his first ever pick, which was a great one. Then an injury prone CB, Geno, A few halfway decent OL (Winters, Abushay) and not much else. His second draft was even worse with the head scratching pick of Calvin Pryor. Amaro may turn out to be decent, but he really missed on all the WR's he selected. Given that Idzik was a WR in college, how could he have missed so badly on a position that was so deep? Cimini said drafting WR's last year was like shooting fish in a barrel and Idzik missed the barrel. Clean house Woody.

Idzik drafted the "injury prone CB" with his first ever pick (9 overall).  Richardson was his second pick (13 overall-the Revis pick).  I don't see much problem with the Pryor pick.  He was not going to save the franchise, but I think he will be a solid pro.  The WRs are a disaster.  Thank God Decker signed.  Imagine where we would be if he didn't lock up Decker.

In almost every NFL market a GM would get a minimum of 3 full years you be evaluated and see what he could do. Sometimes teams do have bad drafts. If you look at the drafts in Seattle that built the LOB and found a franchise QB there were a lot of missed draft picks.

That being said, this is NY. And Idzik somehow didn't understand that you could not take this laid back strategic approach and neglect certain positions. He knew our WR's and CB's weren't going to be good enough in 2014 but he was focused on stockpiling draft picks and cap room in preparation for the 2015 free agent market. He was planning on making his big moves heading into year 3.

But in NY you simply can't do that. You can't sit on 20 million... Even if it's part of your long term plan. NY is a win now town. How could he not get that???

For some reason Woody and Idzik can't see the big picture. 20 million unspent, one of the lowest paid HC's... In his 6th year, a four year playoff drought... And a half empty stadium.

We not only need an overhaul with some real football people taking over, we need NY football people who understand how the big apple works.

Idzik stinks. Can only negotiate when both teams want a deal (one-on-one) his approach to free agency is like a bidder at an auction who raises his paddle once at the beginning and then rage quits when he doesn't win

Sanchez has looked like himself. He barely had a 50% completion rate.

Put Geno with Kelly and he does at least as good, most likely better.

This has to do with coaching not management

Sanchez played well for us when we had the good o-line, with Alan Fanaca, Damien Woody, Brandon Moore,  etc.    Front Office let the line deteriorate--  plus REX has a

way of screwing up QB's--   he should only be a DC.

...he NFL fined New York Jets coach Rex Ryan $100,000 for shouting a profanity that was caught on camera following the Jets' victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport

Ryan is a repeat offender of the NFL's rule against swearing, which is why the fine is so high. He had been fined $75,000 by the NFL in 2011 for yelling at a fan and was fined $50,000 by the Jets for displaying his middle finger in a picture taken in 2010.

On Sunday, a camera captured Ryan shouting at someone as the game ended.

You think Winters and Aboushi are decent?  Winters couldn't block Christopher Reeve and Aboushi is mediocre at best.  Winters was so terrible he makes Aboushi or anyone else look amazing.

I agree with your main point however.  Idzik is way over his head and his performance last off-season was Matt Millen-esque.  The fact that there is still a small minority of Jets fans who still after all this garbage think he should remain the GM and pick the next Head Coach and have yet another draft - OMFG.

Most Jets fans are not that bright but the fact that even they have come around and now vocalize hatred for Idzik just shows how horrific that guy is.

Archived